New Visitor

comcast anti virus

Does Comcast have a free anti virus that I can download to my PC and use as long as I have comcast??
Service Expert
Bartleby

Re: comcast anti virus

Comcast used to offer McAfee to subscribers, but has switched to Norton360, which includes antivirus protection.  You can access the "Security" page for more info by clicking the following link.

Comcast Security Home Page

Contributor

I know that most everyone has newer computers with the XP and higher operating systems, but some of us still have very functional old laptops that have Windows 2000 in them. I have newer ones as well but my old IBM laptop is still very functional, slow but functional. 

Well I have to say that Comcast has just made all of these old computers unusable on the internet since the Norton Security Suite is not compatible with that operating system. Of course "customer non service" was very good at apolgizing as always. I think I have not been apolgized to more in my entire life (>50 years) since I have been dealing with Comcast and their digital evolution.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

I believe there are other AV programs that are still useable with older OS - some of them also free.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Security Expert
CWH803

Re: Comcast anti virus

[ Edited ]

Unhappy in Illinois lamented "Comcast has just made all of these old computers unusable on the internet since the Norton Security Suite is not compatible with that operating system."

A more accurate understanding of the situation described above is that U. Illinois and anyone else who is considering the installation of any software, especially a "tightly hooked" anti-malware engine, must read and understand the system requirements before proceeding with the install. That is, due diligence is a prerequisite of installation. 

In addition, reading the "problem" posts in the prospective software's support forums in order to anticipate and mitigate potential issues is very useful. Reading the "rant" posts that lack useful problem determination information can be ignored.

Message Edited by CWH803 on 03-14-2010 08:55 AM

Signature: 127.0.0.1, Sweet 127.0.0.1 and I recommend all of these Anti-malware tools and Procedures. (updated May 2010)
Bronze Star Contributor
Ignotus

[ Edited ]

Windows 2000 mainstream support ended in 2005 and extended support ends July 2010. Soon, not even Microsoft will be supporting Win 2k. It's a dying OS in my opinion. It was solid and I used it for a few years myself, but it's time to let it go. You say that your PC is a little slow, but functional. I'd wager that formatting and installing XP would show an improvement in overall responsiveness and you wouldn't have to worry about applications not supporting anything older than XP. XP will be on extended support until sometime in 2014 I believe and it runs well on meager hardware from my experience.

Regarding the switch to Norton obsoleting PCs with legacy OSes, I just checked the McAfee site and McAfee 2010 appears to require at least XP as well, so it would have been an issue even if Comcast had stayed with McAfee.

Avast, which offers a free antivirus package, lists Windows 2000 under its system requirements. It's what I used until the Comcast/Norton deal. I'm sure there are others that also work with Windows 2000. I'd guess that most of the "suites" will require XP or higher, but some of the targetted or slimmed down products may be able to get by on Win 2k. Regardless, I'd recommend putting Win 2k to rest. I don't think you can buy XP anymore, but if you have newer hardware in your house, you could maybe move their XP license to your older hardware and purchase Win 7 for the newer hardware. It's not an optimal solution, but everything becomes obsolete eventually; it can't be helped. Like I said, even Microsoft is dropping support for it.

EDIT: AVG is another free product that supports "Windows 2000 Professional SP4 + Update Rollup 1". There are probably others too.

Message Edited by Ignotus on 03-14-2010 12:36 AM
Connection Expert
EG

Ignotus wrote:

I'd wager that formatting and installing XP would show an improvement in overall responsiveness 

I believe and it runs well on meager hardware from my experience.

Is that not largely dependent on processor speed and the amount of available RAM resources ?

Bronze Star Contributor
Ignotus

[ Edited ]

Yes, you are correct and I'm sorry if I have mislead anyone. System responsiveness is probably most affected by system resources such as CPU speed and type and available memory. I was referring to how Windows OSes tend to slow down the longer they are installed and how doing a fresh install tends to speed things back up. I'll look for some references and add them whenever I find some. :smileyhappy:

I was working under the assumption that a user with Windows 2000 may have had the current install running for multiple years and doing a clean install of XP would possibly speed it up. Doing a clean install of Windows 2000 would also probably speed it up, but I figure why do a fresh install of an OS that will be losing support in a few months.

EDIT: Can't find any reputable links that recommend reinstalling Windows. All I've found is several tips for speeding up Windows or instructions on how to reinstall, but nothing about why you may want to reinstall. Some consider it a myth. I believe the frequency with which you need to reinstall depends on how you use your PC. Myself, a power user that installs and uinstalls a lot of games and applications, I like to reinstall every 12-18 months depending on when I begin experiencing errors like BSODs. It's feasible that someone running Windows 2000 or XP could have been running the same install for 5+ years. In a situation like that, I would recommend to anyone that I know personally that they should try a reinstall unless they are happy with how their computer is performing. I certainly wouldn't do it "just because" it's been a while.

Regardless, you certainly need to know what you are doing and know how to back up your data if you decide to go that route.

Message Edited by Ignotus on 03-14-2010 04:56 AM
Contributor

Thank you, I did end up loading AVAST last night. The free antivirus programs from AVG and PC Tools listed Win2K as a supporte OS but they both would not install. I guess it's time to junk a good working old timer. It's a 1999 IBM 600 laptop. Anyone collect old lap tops? ;-}
New Visitor
janetcalaway

I would like to get comcast's anti-virus program for my PC.  I was told it is free.

Service Expert
Bartleby

janet,

See the clickable link I posted up in the second response to this thread.

New Visitor
irvingarnold

Does Comcast have a free anti virus software avaikable

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Comcast used to offer McAfee to subscribers, but has switched to Norton360, which includes antivirus protection. You can access the "Security" page for more info by clicking the following link.

Comcast Security Home Page

If you decide to install Norton  from Comcast, please read this first:

How to Initially Install Norton Security Suite

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
nancybowen

Does comcast provide sufficient internet security or do I need to subscribe to Norton anti-virus?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Comcast provides Norton Security Suite (which is the same as the commercial version of Norton 360 minus the backup).  You can follow the following link and it will instruct you how to install it. 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Visitor
KathySires

I have a Mac with Parallels and Windows 7 installed.  I have Comcast Xfinity.  

Do I get antivirus protection free?

If so, do I have to install something?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi Kathy,

I am not a MAC user so I am not up to speed on anything MAC - Parallels is a term I am not familiar with.

That said, if you go to the link provided in my post above - you will find the Norton that will work on Windows 7.

This link will get you the MAC product download:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGMAC/Norton/?cid=NET_33_607

Please verify your system requirements for your MAC install.  I know Win 7 will handle gthe windows version easily.

Let us know how it goes.

Visitor

i wish to download comcast antivirus program

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

If you are using Windows and initially installing Comcast's Norton Security Suite, please see this link:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

If on a MAC see my post above.

New Visitor
MaryFS

How do I install Comcast AntiVirus and Security protection ? They say my computer is at risk

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

MaryFS wrote:

How do I install Comcast AntiVirus and Security protection ? They say my computer is at risk

Please define "they".

Visitor
KathySires

I shouldn't have just said "they."  I received an e-mail from Comcast advising me of this.  Sometimes when you receive these e-mails, it's just a way to get one to buy something so maybe this is just another one of those.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

KathySires wrote:

I shouldn't have just said "they."  I received an e-mail from Comcast advising me of this.  Sometimes when you receive these e-mails, it's just a way to get one to buy something so maybe this is just another one of those.

Thanks for the feedback - can you tell us what the subject of the e-mail was?  What it asked you to do?  Did it refer to BOT's?  If we can figure out what the subject matter was, we canbetter determine who it came from and what it was referring to as "being at risk".

Please keep us posted.

Visitor
KathySires

I should have kept the e-mail, but I deleted it.  Now I can't remember the subject or any of the details.  I guess I'll just have to trust in what protection I have.  I have a MAC with PC and Parallels installed and have Norton.  I just bought a PC notebook for an embroidery software I have and the salesman talked me into buying and installing McAfee instead of the Norton.  They removed Norton in the store.  It just dawned on me that the message I received was probably from Comcast because I had removed Norton. 

Thank you for your help.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Sorry I wasn't more help -  surf safe!

New Visitor

Does comcast have free computer security with Norton?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

[ Edited ]

cody11 wrote:

Does comcast have free computer security with Norton?

Yes, they offer Norton Security Suite which is a clone of their Norton 360 retail program.

If you need more assistance please start a new thread - I am closing this over 3 year old thread.