New Visitor
irishman88

constant guard alert - bot

I received an email from comcast yesterday saying that I may be infected with a bot. I do not have constant guard installed so I'm not sure why i received that email, and i ran multiple antivirus and malware scans with no results. does anyone know if this a legit email or what?

thanks

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: constant guard alert - bot

irishman88 wrote:

I received an email from comcast yesterday saying that I may be infected with a bot. I do not have constant guard installed so I'm not sure why i received that email, and i ran multiple antivirus and malware scans with no results. does anyone know if this a legit email or what?

thanks

The email is legit if it looks like this sample Bot Notification from Comcast:

Bot Notice.PNG

This is part of the BOT Program which is diffeent from Constant Guard Protection Suite.  Constant Guard is what Comcast marketing brands all the security programs from Comcast/Xfinity - it is more confusing to customers that way, but ll they care about is getting the brand name out to everyone and on everything they use for security.

If you have run the scans suggested intheir instructions, feel free to contact them as follows:

The Customer Security Assurance organization is here to help you have a safe and secure online experience. This dedicated group of security professionals responds to issues pertaining to phishing, spam, infected PCs (commonly referred to as "bots"), online fraud and other security issues.

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week) 888-565-4329

They should be able to tell you the last time they saw any suspected activity on your systems.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Official Employee
cc_adame

--
Adam
Comcast National Engineering
New Visitor
ggunhouse

I keep getting these alerts, too, though my anti-spyware and anti-virus software says I'm clean. After receiving two or three, I sent a note to Comcast asking if they had any actual evidence that there was a bot on my machine. The reply I received was non-responsive, just re-iterating what the alert message said, warning that I might have a bot that was stealing my personal information and sending it to another computer on the Internet (which WOULD be scary, if it were true). I just received another warning. I went to the "amibotted" link mentioned above, and it says I am clean. These alerts look to me like they are designed to scare people into buying more anti-virus software. I think it's really bad that Comcast -- knowing that in fact I do NOT have a bot -- would send me such a message.

Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

The problem with this "service" is that they don't supply the details on what they have detected.  I have received a few of those in the past and my systems are clean.  I am convinced they are seeing multiple devices on my network contacting servers at random times and interpreting that as bot activity.  For the bot detection service to be of any value they need to supply the source and destination IP address and port numbers and the UTC time of the connection.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Murphy wrote:

The problem with this "service" is that they don't supply the details on what they have detected.  I have received a few of those in the past and my systems are clean.  I am convinced they are seeing multiple devices on my network contacting servers at random times and interpreting that as bot activity.  For the bot detection service to be of any value they need to supply the source and destination IP address and port numbers and the UTC time of the connection.

As posted by cc_adame above, you can find more info here:

https://amibotted.comcast.net/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Problem Solver
Murphy

LoPhatPhuud wrote:

Murphy wrote:

As posted by cc_adame above, you can find more info here:

https://amibotted.comcast.net/

I have been there many times and it has no useful information.

New Visitor
suzy12344

i have an error it will take down. i have tried, but no luck help

Official Employee
cc_adame

suzy12344 wrote:

i have an error it will take down. i have tried, but no luck help

Could you be more specific please? What's the error you're getting say?

--
Adam
New Visitor
enigma713

I'm being told that a computer is infected with a bot tied with "TDL/TDSS Gang".  I've run Avast! and Malware Bytes on both of the computers that are turned on with any frequency.  Clean.  I've run windows update.  Already updated.  I've run the windows security tools... clean.  My phones (both Android) sure aren't infected (I have lookout on those), and everything else on my network is not a computer (just a Wii, Xbox 360, and blu-ray player).  My wireless network is MAC-locked and on WPA2 security. 

I'm pretty sure I'm not infected.  So..  what gives?  What do I need to do in order to get it to stop?  Or can Comcast provide some hard data that gives me more information regarding the infection, such as the time of day the data supposedly goes out?

Visitor
random1234

I too am receving constant guard alert emails.  When I visit the AmIBotted page, I'm told I do have a bot (as recent as 6:30 this morning), but when I scan my machines they come up with nothing.  Compounding the issue is that I have 4 computers and several mobile devices.  We need something to go on, like a NIC MAC address, IP address, request URLs, ports, content of the post....anything.  Right now there's merely a date/time for the last occurence.  

So, I tried comcast support.  Here's the result of that nightmare:

I started with the Comcast/Xfinity technical support chat.  They redirected me to Constant Guard chat-based support.  They redirected me to a phone number that resulted in a daisy-chain of 3 or 4 more redirects (all different phone numbers; occasionally accompanied by specific instructions on what to say when I got to the next service agent).  At some point they redirected me back to the main support line (800-comcast), where I was told "That's not a Comcast support issue, that's a Norton issue".  NO IT IS NOT.  This is not some message window that locally installed software displayed.  It's an email from Comcast.  Your own web site authenticates the email, and the validity of its message, and further explains that you periodically generate these emails when web traffic patterns appear to be a bot.  It has nothing to do with Constant Guard or any other software installed on my machine(s).  How can all your support engineers/departments be cluless to these facts?  All they would do is forward me to Norton software support, who of course just laughed with me and expressed their sympathies.   

How do I reach a real person that understands your alert system, and understands the underlying triggers that generate these alerts, and can help me narrow down the focus of my search?  

Official Employee
cc_adame

--
Adam
New Visitor
ggunhouse

You should try Kaspersky tdsskiller. That's the only thing that found something on my machine.

Visitor
Mildot

Hi Adam,

I am having the same issues, I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and Spybot, am on a router with WPA-2 encryption, have ran malwarebytes, Microsoft malicous software removal tool, Norton eraser [per your support line] taken the computer to my IT department and they have scanned it. All of this and no one can find anything on my computer. I have even reformatted the hard drive and re-installed windows. I still get the emails and the white opaque window that pops up on every browser page. amibotted.com says I have a bot [poison_ivy generic] but no one else can find it, if it was there the re-format should have taken care of it.

I bought a new IPAD and as soon as I started it the opaque window popped up on it. I work from home and this is keeping me from connecting to work, if this can not be fixed I will need to find another service provider. Please help.

Thanks

Visitor
Mildot

[ Edited ]

I just removed my router from the equation and hard wired the computer straight to the modem.

The comcast alert window still pops up saying I might be botted but when I go to the amibotted.com site it says my computer is in the clear with no bots. I also took my laptop to a friends house and connected it to his router, the window does not appear, back to my house and it does. I am the only one there and no one else has access to my connection.

New Visitor
seaves5

I own a newer Mac and have never had the Constant Guard installed so I find it hard to believe that it could detect anything one way or another being on my system without asking my approval to scan it in the first place. The modem is the property of the cable company but I own my router and have flashed it with my own choice of firmware. I scan my system regularly using Sophos and I have ClamXav Sentry as well that watches my system for any changes. The chances I actually have a bot are slim to none. Yet I continue to get emails, snail mail and pop up style transparent windows informing me that I have several bots. When I follow instructions to "rid myself" of the bots all I am directed to is a way to download constant guard rather than any pertinent information on the bots themselves. It's obviously just a ploy to convince me to download and use their product. I don't appreciate being scammed. In any of its forms.

Official Employee
cc_adame

Mildot wrote:

I just removed my router from the equation and hard wired the computer straight to the modem.

The comcast alert window still pops up saying I might be botted but when I go to the amibotted.com site it says my computer is in the clear with no bots. I also took my laptop to a friends house and connected it to his router, the window does not appear, back to my house and it does. I am the only one there and no one else has access to my connection.

I'm looking into this for you. The notice is tied to your modem, so you wouldn't see the notice on a friends modem right away - you would have to have the computer with the bot, and wait about 24 hours before the notice would come through.

--
Adam
Official Employee
cc_adame

seaves5 wrote:

I own a newer Mac and have never had the Constant Guard installed so I find it hard to believe that it could detect anything one way or another being on my system without asking my approval to scan it in the first place. The modem is the property of the cable company but I own my router and have flashed it with my own choice of firmware. I scan my system regularly using Sophos and I have ClamXav Sentry as well that watches my system for any changes. The chances I actually have a bot are slim to none. Yet I continue to get emails, snail mail and pop up style transparent windows informing me that I have several bots. When I follow instructions to "rid myself" of the bots all I am directed to is a way to download constant guard rather than any pertinent information on the bots themselves. It's obviously just a ploy to convince me to download and use their product. I don't appreciate being scammed. In any of its forms.

--
Adam
Visitor
Mildot

Hi Adam,

I purchased a new modem over the weekend and the window went away, but I did get an email that my system MIGHT have a bot 22 hours after connecting the new modem [window is not back yet], my computer does not have a bot.

When I would generate a new IP address on the old modem the window would go away, within 5 minutes the IP address would change back to the old one and the window would be back.

New Visitor
seaves5

Yes, I did and was informed of the activity of 2 different bots (last seen 3 to 39 times) and offered the option to "fix my computer" which in turn takes me to a link to download and install constant guard. I do not want the constant guard on my computer as I already have virus and firewall protection on my Mac that do not report these "bot attacks" that your pop ups are claiming I have.
You offer no further proof other than to continuously provide me ways to download YOUR software which is not wanted. So if I have these bots where are they? Modems do not store bots, my router is not infected and my Mac is not as well. So where are these supposed bots hiding if they indeed even exist? And why would I HAVE to download Constant Guard to rid myself of them when if you truly were concerned and wanted to help you would provide a way to rid oneself of them other than a download link to your software. 

Official Employee
cc_adame

I recommend you contact CSA, who can further assist you with figuring out which device behind your modem is infected and can remove the notice.

Normal business hours (6:00 am to 2:00 am EST, 7 days a week) 888-565-4329

--
Adam
New Visitor
DantiX

I use Microsoft Security Essentials.  Doesn't that protect me from bots?  Does Comcast receive compensation from Norton to sell their software?  Is Norton better than Microsoft Security Essentials?  Do I have to disable my current antivirus program to have Comcast fix this bot issue?  Is it free?  Do I have to download something that might conflict with my current security software?  How do I know that Comcast isn't just trying to sell me Constant Guard/Norton ?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is not necessarily true.  I have 2 laptops running on our COMCAST owned Modem and Router and we were so irritated with these messages I contacted the provider.  I went through the process with them to "remove" constant guard from our machines.  Everything appeared successful.  It's BAAACK!!

I find COMCASTS opinion that it's not "thier" software very irritating.  I myself am getting to a point of being ready to find a new provider.  I've had my current COMCAST service for 12 years.  THAT's HOW IRRITATED I AM AT THIS!!  I never asked for it, never ok'd it to be on my account and I WANT IT GONE!!!!  It's showing up on our Smartphone, immediately displayed on our BRAND NEW Kindle Fire and Samsung pad within 5 minutes of turning them on.

The program is FAULTY, IRRITATING and MISLEADING at best.

Do yourself a favor and elminate your partnership with this program.

Signed, looking for a new provider.........

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi USAF,

First of all - what are referring to as Not being necessarily true?

Let me explain somethings up front.  Comcast in their infinite wisdonm (or lack thereof) have decied to name all things security based as Constant Guard. 

The BOT detection program which is a non-opt out of program which checks your  IP for BOTS.  This is the one that sends out the BOT notices - for all the background and info on it's start and existence look here.  As I said  - you can not get rid of it.

Constant Guard Security Suite is a separate program that is installed by the user and can be removed via the Control Panel - althouh a cleanup tool may be necessary afterwards.

Norton Scurity Suite is another customer offered program which is separate and is user insatlled and can be removed via Control Panel and running the Norton Removal Tool.

The Constant Guard you removed was probably the Constant Guard Protction Suite - as I said before the BOT detection CG is not removable.

If you look thru this forum you will see many instances of BOT detection being questioned, cursed and threats of changing providers - however, if you read the link I provided in regards to the history of it - you will see that Comcst is not the only ISP using this method of detection.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Having gone through the BOT notifications recently.  Here's my $.02.

I also think the program is flawed and somewhat misleading and geared to getting people to purchase their service to remove the bot/virus etc.

The problem I have with the notification is that it does not tell me what ip or website it has seen traffic to that the program has classified as being bot activity. Being retired from 30+ years in IT including network security I can understand not wanting to give out detailed information about what is being classified as a bot, but I don't think your detection methods would be compromised if you included the address or website name in the email you send out saying you have seen bot activity from my modems IP address.

So to make the notifications useful Please ask Comcast to Include the IP address or website name that the software has deemed constitutes bot activity in the notification message.  Or if a Moderator can give me contact information to someone in Comcast that manages the Constant Guard Progam I will address my concerns to them directly. Thank You.

New Visitor
MidnightFireAKA

I fell the same way you do. This POP Up is BS....:smileysad:

New Visitor
dnilson

With all due respect -- your 30 years of IT experience appear out dated.  Lets hope my 48 years experience isn't out of date.

Since Modern botnets don't communicate with websites at all and Instead a bot communicates with a remote network of command and control computers which have the ability to download to your bot custom code In the "flavor of the day" for execution.  The way they use IP, with proxies cutouts and a variety of rotating TCP/UDP ports your request target IP / website info is useless to you really.  If you are thinking "block them" at the perimeter firewall, the bot protocol will just morph to a different port/address/proxy and resume after a few seconds.   

This payload code may be mass emailing of SPAM for a small profit per email, theft of credit card and banking info, brute force login hacking somewhere, DDOS attacks, etc, etc etc etc,

You knowing the location and IP of these C&C computers is useless to you as they are generally virtual machines  and can pop up on a hosting server across the planet from one night until another.

Asking for specific bot information is a bit silly as well - if you understand how these alerts are generated without any software being loaded on your computer - Comcast has installed packet inspection systems remote from your computer.  They look at the TCP/ UDP and specific IP protocol ports and parameters to see odd use of same and correlate traffic to and from known C&C systems, which as I said move regularly, but the industry does its best to keep daily, and often hourly track of these servers.

If they detect trouble out there you get notified by email and they rewrite the HTML coming back to your browser to trigger the Silverlight layer (now a www3 standard) to annunciate the problem on a Comcast generated Silverlight layer.

So without Comcast software installed on your computer -- can't be done, but they can still see the activity for what it is!.

Asking for a MAC address is something you should have included in your request for useful information -- with 30+ systems in the house, I want that too, but since Even MAC addresses can be easily spoofed these days, the MAC could simply be wrong, but dear Comcast, a MAC address is more useful than nothing.

So Comcast PLEASE consider giving us the Layer 2 MAC address, Even though it could be a random number -- at least I can tell if its false or valid by inspecting the first three octets against the hardware manufacturers of Ethernet devices on my network.

All Windows machines get a fresh copy of the Malicious Software REmoval Tool (MSRT)  the second Tuesday of the month, but how many people ever open it up and run a FULL scan in GUI (not commandline) mode?  Its a very useful tool, and a BETTER scanner than that high priced AV as I'll outline below.  but you need both, and a good anti-malware tool too if itsnot integrated into AV.

So you want a cookbook to USE the Comcast tools and not simply complain about them?

Try this

1) Started isolation by Turning off many systems and using https://amibotted.comcast.net until I detected recent activity on the few computers that were turned on.

2) checked that smaller group one at a time until I felt I knew which were a problem.

(Alternate method -- if you can identify the FIRST system that pops up the silverlight warning message, scan that first -- that was the one that ended up being infected on my net)

3) Download the latest Microsoft MSRT ( http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=9905), and ran it in FULL mode -- took almost 48 hours to complete, but found an embarrassing collection of backdoor and worm code that the two top rated PAID Antivirus software had missed UNTIL THE MSRT SCANNER SCANNED THE FILE -   during the 48 hours the MSRT ran, the Active protection of my antivirus triggered on each MSRT hit, telling me Antivirus NEVER SCANNED that file in the first place (config or design prob, still not to the bottom of that) but the MSRT did.  This leads me to the conclusion that many Antivirus only scan certain types of files (and complete in an hour on my system), but the MSRT Takes 48 hours because it checks everything.

4) MSRT partially removed the files,

5) I ran Combofix (www.bleepingcomputer.com ) to do a general cleanup of rootkits ,

6) forced my AV to be more diligent and triggered it to scan again.

7) Went back to https://amibotted.comcast.net and immediately got an all-clear.

8) goto #1 and do it all over again until no more hits found (the second run was clean)

Soooo, embarrassed  that I caught  a social disease, ticked the best protection $$$ can buy let it happen, but felling pretty good about the external Comcast monitoring, and fell like I have a good gameplan for the next time my daughter does this to us.

Great Service, obviously misunderstood by the comments above (most of you ARE probably infected ..... Even if YOU can't find it).

I've been doing this for so long, folks ALWAYS swear by the perfection of the product(s) they paid money for, and its virtually impossible to prove a negative -- but true security requires you to distrust everything, including your actions and purchases, and once you do you may be able to find what you have missed so far.

"JUst because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get me" is a good security conscious mantra.

This stuff isn't written by 14 year olds on kitchen tables, some of the finest software developers in the world have moved to the darkside, including government security services, and there are quite a few criminal organizations providing these for sale in the former Soviet Union, and China welcomes hosting of the C&C systems.  For the most part this is high grade, adaptable software.

WHere there is smoke, and if it quacks like a duck, don't be an ostrich because YOU DIDN'T find something

Look harder

We all will get less SPAM tomorrow, so thanks for the extra effort.

Like Tom Clancy -- Comcast has supplied ZERO information in this post, its all my own work, analysis based on forum data herein, stateful packet analysis through my firewall and the occasional WireShark capture session.

Regular Contributor

I think you are missing a couple of points in your post also.

1) going to the amibotted does not rescan it just reports that they saw activity in the last 24-26 hours.

2) Comcast clears the you are botted message after a few hours so it you wait 27-30 hours the website will say you do not have a bot until the magical bot activity is seen again.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Dnilson, please excuse my ignorance, but could you explain the following statement you made above:

"All Windows machines get a fresh copy of the Malicious Software REmoval Tool (MSRT)  the second Tuesday of the month, but how many people ever open it up and run a FULL scan in GUI (not commandline) mode?  Its a very useful tool, and a BETTER scanner than that high priced AV as I'll outline below.  but you need both, and a good anti-malware tool too if itsnot integrated into AV."

Are you saying that the MSRT is not scanning thoroughly when it's downloaded and installed through the monthly updates?  Is there some action we should be taking to insure that a proper scan is being preformed?

I'm a non-tech person so please use a simple KIS formula.   I purposely deleted the last (S).  Insulting a person when asking for clarification is a cheap shot. 

TIA, ciao, bj

Contributor
BeZurcher

So how would that happen if CG was not installed on the machine. Does comcast put some sort of cookies on the computer or other hidden programs or files that look for bts the send it to comcast saying there is a bot and since CG is not installed, they email it to the person.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Constant Guard has two types of systems. The one that you download to help with your computer security and one Comcast use to determine if you have a "bot" on one or more of your devices in the home. You don't have to have Constant Guard downloaded, to get a warning from the "bot" system.

They are not really related except by name, perhaps they should have called the "bot" system something else to avoid confusion.

Read the FAQ on this page for more info:

https://constantguard.comcast.net/

Regular Visitor
nuttyd

[ Edited ]

I own and admin several websites and every time I send email to my members I get this alert.

Since my websites email sends through the browser they think that I have a bot sending spam.

I have figured out a way to stop these irritating messages and intrusion into my everyday lifeThis makes me feel like I am being held hostage and they are wanting me to pay ransom!

I say H*** NO!

This is a simple fix but I do not wish to give that info here as you can understand that I dont want to give the enemy any information!

If you would like to end this intrusion you can send me an email and I will explain in detail what you need to do. It cost absolutly nothing and takes about 5 minutes to do! Heres to your peice of mind!

Daniel M.

<email removed>

OK have it your way and remove my email I guess that should be expected!

Here you go people do a google search for OPENDNS you do not have to signup for an account it gives you a option to use the service without signing up. Its absolutly FREE and only takes a couple of minutes to setup just follow the step by step instructions and bye bye bot alert!

Heres to your peice of mind!

Daniel Moore

Official Employee
cc_adame

nuttyd wrote:

I own and admin several websites and every time I send email to my members I get this alert.

Since my websites email sends through the browser they think that I have a bot sending spam.

I have figured out a way to stop these irritating messages and intrusion into my everyday lifeThis makes me feel like I am being held hostage and they are wanting me to pay ransom!

I say H*** NO!

This is a simple fix but I do not wish to give that info here as you can understand that I dont want to give the enemy any information!

If you would like to end this intrusion you can send me an email and I will explain in detail what you need to do. It cost absolutly nothing and takes about 5 minutes to do! Heres to your peice of mind!

Daniel M.

<email removed>

--
Adam
Regular Visitor
nuttyd

[ Edited ]

Im sorry but you are incorrect. That is the only time I ever received an alert! After all if a redneck sitting in his livingroom can figure out how to block your so called "BOT ALERT" how smart can Comcast really be?

Awaiting your reply!:smileylaugh:

Daniel Moore

No longer your hostage!