Visitor
cronzoni
Accepted Solution

constant guard slowing my computer

I decided to install Constant Guard in my computer and ti was the worst thing I could have done. When I installed it it slowed down my computer and when I went to remove it it took forever. Now that's it gone my computer is still running slow and most times when I try to sign on to Internet Explorer from my desktop icon it doesn't respond. When I go int Internet Explorer from the start button it's better but still running slow when I sign on. Any suggestions? I've tried many scans-anitvirus and others-nothign seems to help.HELP!!!!

Official Employee

Re: constant guard slowing my computer

Hi - I will send you a message about scheduling a support call to investigate this.  Can you clarify - when you had CGPS - what was slowed down: booting, bringing up other apps, going to web sites?  Where did you see the biggest impact?  Also - what is your system configurations (RAM, O/S, age of computer, etc).

New Visitor
BHilborn

I'm having the same problem.  EVERYTHING is sluggish, my computer sounds like it's constantly working, very noticable delay while typing this, screens take a while to refresh (both Web and PC-based).  My machine was screaming fast before I installed CG -- can I get back to that?  Conversely, how do I deinstall CG?  I'll take my chances with the cybercreeps!

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

BHilborn wrote:

I'm having the same problem.  EVERYTHING is sluggish, my computer sounds like it's constantly working, very noticable delay while typing this, screens take a while to refresh (both Web and PC-based).  My machine was screaming fast before I installed CG -- can I get back to that?  Conversely, how do I deinstall CG?  I'll take my chances with the cybercreeps!

You can use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Constant Guard Protection Suite.

If you want just the Comcast/Norton Security Suite, it can be downloaded from here:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
New Visitor

Me too - I have a quad core that normally flys, but after constant guard it is slower than my netbook with an atom processor!  It is as if CG "prechews" every action. It has to go.

Official Employee

hi -im sorry you are having problems.  uninstalling constant guard will remove important security protection of your personal information.   Id rather have our support group take a look at your system and try to resolve, though i understand you need to address the performance issue.  sent you a message about a follow up support call - let me know.  thx!

Visitor

Can't afford to be a beta tester fo the software, I will let someone else work with it until it is "prime time"

New Visitor
WSNorman

cronzoni:

did you ever get any resolution?  I removed Constant Guard right after installing it because of the slow down in screen response.  After removal, the slowness is still there-in browser, eMail, word processor, spreadsheet, desk top, etc. The slow down is present for use of the arrows at the edge of the display and the thumb on the scroll bar.  However, PgUp and PgDn work OK.

It acts like an entry was made in the Registry which was not corrected in the removal process (even after running constantguardcleaninstall.exe)

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

WSNorman wrote:

cronzoni:

did you ever get any resolution?  I removed Constant Guard right after installing it because of the slow down in screen response.  After removal, the slowness is still there-in browser, eMail, word processor, spreadsheet, desk top, etc. The slow down is present for use of the arrows at the edge of the display and the thumb on the scroll bar.  However, PgUp and PgDn work OK.

It acts like an entry was made in the Registry which was not corrected in the removal process (even after running constantguardcleaninstall.exe)

Once course of action you may want to consider is to download and install Constant Guard again, after installing Revo. The uninstall using Revo. That should remove all traces.

If you choose to follow this method, you'll find Revo here:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

(It's free for 30 days)

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

New Visitor
WSNorman

The slow down in screen response was corrected by updating the video driver.  It is possible that the installation process of Constant Guard changed some setting.  I know that some changes were made, because it was necessary to reset the screen resolution after the reboot following the installation of CG.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Thanks for the reply

Mark Twain

Visitor
cronzoni

Thank you!!! I can't believe how GREAT the Revo Uninstaller worked! I downloaded it and downloaded Constant Guard again and had the uninstaller work it's magic and PRESTO! My computer is back to normal. Thinking of buying the program. THANKS AGAIN!!!!!

New Visitor

I am glad I only installed this on one of my machines.  Anything I try to do on the machine is slow.   I feel like I am back using a pentium 133 although even that might be faster.     This is coming off.

Visitor

Yea, had the same problem with CG. Slow system, un-installed back to normal process. Bad product comcast.

Contributor

I had the same problem with CG slowing my computer down and the problem went away on removing CG.  Too bad because it seemed like a great program......

New Visitor
maureenstadnik

I am having the same problem. Was prompted to update my norton product and this is how I ended up downloading the constant guard product. My computer which was always very zippy is now crawling ridiculously slow. I too will be removing it and re-installing just the norton portion... assuming I can find that or I will just use Avast Free.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

maureenstadnik wrote:

I am having the same problem. Was prompted to update my norton product and this is how I ended up downloading the constant guard product. My computer which was always very zippy is now crawling ridiculously slow. I too will be removing it and re-installing just the norton portion... assuming I can find that or I will just use Avast Free.

If you use Add/Remove Programs to uninstall Constant Guard Protection System, Norton will not be removed.

Mark Twain

Visitor
cronzoni

I already accepted this as my solution

New Visitor
gregger59

Hi, I desperately need a solution to this problem, too. But I am not clear on your method.

You say to

Install Revo (but don't uninstall anything)

Install CG again (over existing install?)

Then use Revo to uninstall CG

Is that right? Seems weird.

Thanks very much for your help.

-- G.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Yes, that's right. Yes that sounds weird.  Yes that method works!

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
Csbs30

you guys do not have enough ram. that is why you are having issues. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Csbs30 wrote:

you guys do not have enough ram. that is why you are having issues. 

What leads you to that conclusion? None of the posts in the thread mention how much ram the poster has.

You assume when you don't have all the facts.

FYI, sometimes there is more than enough ram and people can still have the slow down issue with Constant Guard. 

It may be a case of CG not playing nice with a system.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
skinut

I took your advice and installed revouninstaller.  It took care of CG for me but it did leave Norton on my computer.  Should I remove the Norton suite and re-install from the address that you posted earlier.  I sure wish I had got to this forum before I downloaded CG.   Thanks to you and all who have posted here concerning this problem.  I have learned my lesson.  From now on I will be here before downloading anything from Comcast.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi skinut,

Glad you were able to get CG removed and as you found out - it left Norton in tact. 

As long as you got Secure showing in system status at the top of the main page of  Norton you are just fine.  No need to remove and reinstall. 

Glad you found us here and thanks for the feedback.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
JerryCB

It would seem that so called "Constant Guard" scans each item expecially including unwanted advertisements on both web pages and e mail. 

I think the question becomes, why would Comcast release something that makes it more difficult to use a computer on their so called high speed network.

New Visitor
emory557

I had the same problem.  I installed it on my computer, and it immediately started taking forever to do anything.  I uninstalled the program and my computer is working normally again.

New Visitor
rpnc

Another solution is to disable the Explorer plugin. Tools menu --> Manage add-ons

You can run the CG browser to protect financial accounts, etc directly from the CG application main screen.

New Visitor
JerryCB

It has been a long time since I reported.  I eliminated Constant Guard and slowness went away.  I will never re-install again.

New Visitor
Fredenge

I had the same problems with CS and every time I did a shutdown IDvault was running and had to close. It's a memory hog and difficult to find how to change the login settings.Norton ID protection is enough for me. 

New Visitor
Couguy75

OMG! its kinda like an epidemic, I thought I was alone.....and when you're trying to delete it, it takes forever..and everrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

New Visitor
emctoo

yup, I had problems after I downloaded CGPS, too: pages wouldn't open, pages would freeze, speed became slow.

I am going to uninstall this program.

Visitor

Wow thanks so much for the Revo-uninstaller information.  It worked Great!  Wish I would have known about this when I downloaded iLivid.  Took days to get rid of it and all the bull (Searchqu) that came along with it. It even crashed my Avast security.  Will never download anything until I do so much more research.  I thought Comcast would be a safe alternative for security but was fooled again.