New Visitor
whs1956

Do I have to do anything else but make sure my anti virus is updated with Xfinity/Comcast???  Is Comcast takng any precautions for its users?

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: malware

whs1956 wrote:

Do I have to do anything else but make sure my anti virus is updated with Xfinity/Comcast???  Is Comcast takng any precautions for its users?

Hi whs1956,

Keeping your AV updated with Comcast is a good first step - but exactly what do you mean by "is Comcast taking any other precautions for its users?"

Comcast is doing  Bot detection, offering CGPS, offering methods to determine if you are safe from DNS Changer (which NSS detects also).

If you have specific questons, we'll try to answer them. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Silver Problem Solver
reasd

Hello,

Dont use cgps from comcast there are lots of better antivirus programs out there that you can get that are a lot better.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

reasd wrote:

Hello,

Dont use cgps from comcast there are lots of better antivirus programs out there that you can get that are a lot better.

reasd, I hate to inform you, but CGPS is not an antivirus program.  Norton Security Suite is the only AV offered by Comcast.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor

Re: malware, Does Comcast provide malware?

USAF_E-8_RET wrote:

reasd wrote:

Hello,

reasd, I hate to inform you, but CGPS is not an antivirus program.  Norton Security Suite is the only AV offered by Comcast.

Official Employee
cc_adame

whs1956 wrote:

You can check https://amibotted.comcast.net to see if we're detecting any infections.

We do proactively notify customers if we detect infections, and provide remediation steps whenever possible. You can visit http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/ to learn more - specifically http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Education/BotAssistance if you're concerned about malware and bots.

--
Adam
Comcast National Engineering // Customer Protection Team
New Visitor
whs1956

Thank you for your reply.  CNN gave everyone a web site www.dcwg.org to detect and fix the virus.  As I am legally blind and use assistive technology to use the computer; it was difficult to go through the pages.  Fortunately, my daughter came over and did the process for me.

Thought it would have been nice for my ISP to send this info on the email.  All the news stations including World News tonight carried the story.

My AV is up to date so I feel I am safe.

Thanks again.

Official Employee
cc_adame

whs1956 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.  CNN gave everyone a web site www.dcwg.org to detect and fix the virus.  As I am legally blind and use assistive technology to use the computer; it was difficult to go through the pages.  Fortunately, my daughter came over and did the process for me.

Thought it would have been nice for my ISP to send this info on the email.  All the news stations including World News tonight carried the story.

My AV is up to date so I feel I am safe.

Thanks again.

I'm glad you got help! If we had detected that you were infected, we would have notified you numerous ways.

--
Adam
Comcast National Engineering // Customer Protection Team
Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Reply to two year old thread. Moved to own topic for better visibility.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

[ Edited ]

Locking to prevent further replies.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014