Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

need help with Constant Guard Protection Suite

i apparently made the mistake of discontinuing Kapersky, which I had no problems with, and taking advantage of the Norton and Constant Guard Protection suite included with my comcast acct.

Not really too pleased. I cant get rid of pop-up message from Constant Guard Pro suite, tryed uninstalling Constant Guard with no luck . What to do?

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Re: need help with Constant Guard Protection Suite

[ Edited ]

Try uninstalling Guarded ID via Add/Remove Programs and see if that makes a difference.

Please keep all your responses to this thread. I have removed the others since they duplicates.

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Microsoft MVP, Consumer Security, 2005-2014
Regular Contributor

thanks for your help, I did remove Guarded ID, and re-booted, but problems continue.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

What is the error message you are getting?

"Once I talked to the inmates of an insane asylum in Hartford. I have talked to idiots a thousand times, but only once to the insane..."
Mark Twain

Regular Contributor

"Invalid uninstall control file"

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

How wonderful, not!

Normally I would say to re-install and then uninstall again, but with issues we are seeing with the GuardedID module that does not seem like a good idea.

You might want to try the the Revo Uninstaller, http://www.revouninstaller.com/

It is my understanding that it has a fully working trial and it ahs become the recommend uninstaller at many forums.

Mark Twain

Regular Contributor

thanks ,I will try that..appreciate your help...

Regular Contributor

:smileycool: great! that worked! forever grateful :smileycool:

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Glad to help and thanks for letting us know.

Mark Twain

Regular Contributor

now if I could only sell you a 2001 Trans Am :smileycool:

Visitor
chdjax

Constant Guard Disaster

Do NOT- I repeat DO NOT install Constant Guard.

The short version- it caused my keyboard to go haywire- the letters typed only numbers.

The solution- I uninstalled Constant Guard.

The LONG version- I installed Constant Guard on May 29th and soon had keyboard problems.  First, the letter C might not work.  Finally, typing any letter led to a number on screen.  Usually consecutive- for example, hitting  the "q" key (without quotes) several times caused this sequence to appear- 123456.  If I hit "q" once and got a 1 then hitting a 2d letter key caused a 2 to appear.

I tried EVERYTHING!

1. Uninstalled my keyboard. No fix.

2. Tried a 2d keyboard- no fix.

3. Tried Safe Boot- Constant Guard still loaded. Still got numbers in Command Prompt.

4. Playing with the Num lock key- see discussion on a tech forum.

5.  Could NOT restore to a point before Constant Guard-  when I installed Constant Guard I created a Restore Point but I tried to restore to THREE different points before installation of Constant Guard and all three failed.  I could restore to a time after Constant Guard but that did not solve my keyboard problem.

6. I could not delete from the Windows XP Add/Remove software function- the programs never loaded.

A god send was having a laptop available where I learned about the onscreen keyboard. Hit Start-R and type in osk.

Function  + a letter generally worked- for example, Ctrl-C still copied and Ctrl-V still pasted. I could not actually type osk- but had to open a document with those letters in it and copy and paste.

The reason I thought Constant Guard was the problem is because it seems to work like a key logger program.

Solution was Revo Uninstaller- here- http://www.revouninstaller.com/

I have an HP Pavilion desktop PC; HP keyboard (not US:smileycool:; running Windows XP.

Contributor

I'm a computer assistant for the community.  Just had this happen yesterday at a client site.   It happened after I installed Constant Guard.   What a mess.  Luckily I was able to use the mouse and just uninstall it.  

Just got another call from a client today who had the same issue.  She thought I was a genius when I said just uninstall Constant Guard!  And, of course it worked.

COMCAST get this fixed or get this program off the air.  

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

The keyboard issues are caused by the GuardedID module. It can be uninstalled using Add/Remove Programs while leaving the rest of Constan Guard installed.

If you have uninstalled CGPS, or want just the Comcast/Norton Security Suite, then use  this link:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

Mark Twain

Visitor

Error message says "an unexpected error occurred.  Protection suite will start automatically,  if problem presists  click the Protection icon, and support.

Contributor

After checking forums it appears that this is a known problem with Constant Guard over a month ago...why is Comcast still rolling out this product to customers...I just got an email from Comcast to install it within the last 5 days.  Seems like this is a pretty critical problem - if 2 of my customers had the problem within 24 hours and I have maybe 120 Comcast customers with maybe 30 who installed it - it is a big problem.  Needless to say I have alerted everyone to stay away from this product....

Visitor

I had this problem too, and I also got an error message, told me to restart my computer for  the error to fix, I did, and it did not fix nothing worked, so I uninstalled the  program.  No more problems. I  have  a HP Pavillion also.

Bronze Problem Solver

ljtucson wrote:

After checking forums it appears that this is a known problem with Constant Guard over a month ago...why is Comcast still rolling out this product to customers...I just got an email from Comcast to install it within the last 5 days.  Seems like this is a pretty critical problem - if 2 of my customers had the problem within 24 hours and I have maybe 120 Comcast customers with maybe 30 who installed it - it is a big problem.  Needless to say I have alerted everyone to stay away from this product....

Comcast has a long history of rolling out badly designed, poorly tested programs and denying any problems.  Some of us who've been on these boards can tell stories.....

Visitor

Yes I agree.  I will stay away from this. Again thank you for your help.

Official Employee

HI - if anyone is still getting an error similar to "

Error message says "an unexpected error occurred.  Protection suite will start automatically,  if problem presists  click the Protection icon, and support."

Please let me know - before you uninstall, i would like to have our support team reachout to further trouble shoot.  We are not seeing this error reported in the general base of our customers - and so this information would help us address this.

thx!

New Visitor

I installed Constant Guard on a W7 laptop, a XP desktop and my wife's Vista laptop.  The vista installation went terribly wrong.  Once installed, seemed to be OK until she tried to shut down her computer.  The shutting down dialog showed, the hard drive whirrled and after about 15 minutes as BSOD.  Restarted ok, but wouldn't shut down -- had to force the shutdown.  Trying to uninstall constant guard was useless, after about 15 minutes, BSOD.    Had to uninstall in safe mode, but still the computer wouldn't shut down.

I finally restored the system to right before installation of constant guard and everything works like it should.

This program sucks, and Comcast has a lot of nerve forcing it on us.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

NJDrew1 wrote: 

This program sucks, and Comcast has a lot of nerve forcing it on us.

Whilst I agree with you, the program is buggy and seems to cause a lot of problems, reading the threads on here. No one is forcing you to use it, what you put on your computer is your decision. Comcast is pushing it yes, (I got the Email yesterday), but there are plenty of options out there.

You can even use Norton on it's own, (if that's what you want) without Constant Guard. :

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

Regular Visitor

I am also have the same problem with protection suite error.  Did the add/remove and removed the Guide ID but error message keeps coming up.error code is 7f2asbec-dbc4-4585-bb50-e3b600f0f469.  Can you helop get rid of this.

Security Expert
LoPhatPhuud

Milliek wrote:

I am also have the same problem with protection suite error.  Did the add/remove and removed the Guide ID but error message keeps coming up.error code is 7f2asbec-dbc4-4585-bb50-e3b600f0f469.  Can you helop get rid of this.

Use Add/Remove Programs and uninstall the entire Constant Guard Protection Suite. This will not remove  Norton. Then restart your computer and post back with the result.

Mark Twain

New Visitor

I am also experiencing the same thing as everyone else on this string.  I just started receiving the protection suite error this week with the following error code:  e38f2e2c-fc42-4267-972b-5c28d44d278f

It does not restart automatically.  I will follow the instructions but wanted to you know as of this date it hasn't been fixed.  I also experience problems with the keyboard and typing and thought it was an HP thing.  My computer is a brand new HP Pavillion g7.

I certainly hope pulling the guarded ID off works.