Contributor
cdavis2008

norton security without constant guard

having problems with norton security with constant guard, i want to go back to using the norton security without the constant guard. computer freezes up alot and loading very slow. and freezes up while i am on a site , regardless if on internet explorer or on aol etc ,  having problems on both .   i recently few months ago found the link i needed and installed the norton . but since then had to restore my comp, and now cant find the security link i need to reinstall what i had . and had to download the newest security with constant guard. if anyone can help  on the link i need so i can install the one that works for me i appreciated. i searched all over on comcast and other search engines and cant find what i am looking for or need. also if anyone knows how i can go back to java 22 please let me know. i have java 30 because i cant find java  version 22 which works for me, having problems with using java 30 also

thank you

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Re: norton security without constant guard

Hi cdavis2008,

Here is the link for Norton Security Suite:

http://xfinity.comcast.net/constantguard/Products/CGPS/norton/

When the popup for Constant Guard Protection Suite comes up, click on No Thanks and that will permit you to see the Get It Now button which will start the NSS download.  A word of caution, since you restored your system.  If there is any trial version of any security program on the restore, you willneed to remoe it prior to installing Norton. 

Complete instructions for the inital install of Norton are located here: 

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

This link, about half way down the page I believe is the link for Java 22 you are seeking.

http://www.oldapps.com/java.php?old_java=69

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Contributor
cdavis2008

thank you for your help, i did uninstall the virus protection that came installed with computer before i installed the norton with constant guard. as usually when installing a different virus protection on comp, it comes up saying i have another virus protection installed and to click to remove so that the new download can install.but i was already ahead of the game on that. i removed the norton /constant guard , xfinity toolbar and anything affiliated to the norton . there is one other thing i am not sure if it is part of the norton that i need to delete also called ca pest patrol realtime protection, i did install the norton and by passed the constant guard.. but didnt remove this ca pest patrol realtime protection til  i know for sure what it is, i am trying to avoid more problems. .. if can let me know what that is and it is part of this norton with constant guard and need to delete that also please let me know.

Contributor
cdavis2008

if anyone has been having same problems as i have with norton with constantguard suite. here is some information to uninstall it. and to reinstall the norton suite and by pass the constant guard , i just completed these tasks and reinstaled norton suite without constant guard. hope this info is helpful to everyone who is having same problems as me that i had posted for help on

Uninstall any existing security software from your computer, including
previous versions of Norton. If it persists, you may download and run
the Norton Removal Tool which removes any remnants of Norton software
from your computer. You may download it at:

http://service1.symantec.com/support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/200503310816203

Select your installation type from the list below. You can preview and
print the installation steps. Download the Norton Security Suite:

- If you are a PC user who already has McAfee Security Suite, switch:

http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/migrate/default.htm?cid=33_232 /

- If you are a PC user who does not have McAfee Security Suite:

http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/?cid=33_230 /

- If you are a Mac user who does not have McAfee Security Suite:

http://security.comcast.net/norton/resi/mac/?cid=33_231 /

I have provided you the steps on how to install Norton 5.0:

1. If the you do not have Norton, you can download the Constant Guard
Protection Suite from http://xfinity.com/constantguard/. Once installed,
the Constant Guard Protection Suite will display a red icon(under
Additional Services Included ) indicating that Norton Security Suite is
not installed. You can click Install Now to get Norton Security Suite.
2. You can bypass the download of the Constant Guard Protection Suite
and go to http://xfinity.com/norton/ and click Get It Now. However, this
approach will not provide the added security of the Constant Guard
Protection Suite.
3. Click Start Download.
4. Click Run.
5. Click Run.
6. Norton downloads and begins installation.
7. Agree to license agreement by selecting Agree & Install.
8. Click Restart Now to complete the installation.
9. Click Done.
10. Norton Security is now activated and protecting the PC.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

CA Pest Patrol Real time is part of the Comcast (Xfinity)Toolbar and needs to be removed via the controlPanel Add/Remove/Programs & Features).  You only want one real-time scanner to be running and in this case - that is Norton.

Thanks for the feedback. 

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

New Visitor
missypoo

i just had comcast installed. phone, internet and tv.

the tech suggested i download the constant guard so i did, as well as the norton suite.

i am reading here that constant guard is no good, is this true? i do not want to have problems with my internet. since i only downloaded constant guard yesterday.

can someone who really knows explain if i should not keep this and why?

thank you

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Hello - there are many, many more customers using the Constant Guard Protection Suite, without issue than are commenting about it in this forum. If you have already installed it, and you have clicked to "Enable" the Norton application from the CGPS toolbar, then you are well on your way. If you look at the posts, in this forum, related to "Constant Guard," you will find that many are associated with bot/malware mails which are associated wtih "Constant Guard," as that is the umbrella name given to the Comcast security products. The Constant Guard Protection Suite, which I support - is simply an installer which installs the Secure Account Protection software and Norton Security Suite. The main complaints with the suite itself - excluding anything regarding bots is:

1. Can't install or open the application - this usually is because the Microsoft Security Certificate (MSC) we rely on cannot be created, or if the software is installed - won't open. This is almost always associated with the clock on the computer not being set correctly for day/date and time zone. The MSC must be in synchronization with Microsoft server time and synchronized to an internet clock source. Make sure the date/time/time zone are correct on the computer for your current location (big deal if you are traveling - set the clock to your current location), and then synchronize the clock to an internet time source, such as .gov;

2. Speed/Performance - it contains multiple fulltime web applications. If you are using an older computer with an older OS, like XP, and are reliant on the hard drive for memory, rather than physical RAM on the logic board, it is going to slow down your computer. The minimum RAM requirement is 512 megs. If you use multiple applications and use more than that - the extra memory needed us taken from available disc space on your start up hard drive (usually the C drive). The sheer act of using your hard drive for memory will slow down the read/write functions of the computer, thus slowing the performance. If someone has not cleared off old files, if the drive has a lot of errors on it, hasn't been defragmented, is ful, etc - it is going to be getting full, and then the customer could see read/write errors, crashing or a blue screen. There is no getting around this. For those customers who see speed/performance issues - it is a choice between the two fulltime web applications - the online account protection - which is in essence password protection but includes a secure browser for online transactions; or Norton;

3. Browser issues - Both Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome are releasing updates to the browser every month (or so), and this is putting all web application developers behind the 8 ball to release updates to their software on a monthly basis. This means throwing a lot of engineering resources at the browser compatibility, but we are trying to release monthly updates as soon as Mozilla and Google release their production versions so we can test against the release version of the browser. The customer can always use IE as the default browser, though, and can still use Firefox or Chrome for most of their browser needs.

If you have already installed the software, have enabled Norton, and have created a secure account for a banking account, without issue, then you probably don't have one of the above issues. Also, soon we will include the new DNS lock feature as an option via CGPS, which allows the customer to "lock" their internet domain name system to the Comcast network for added security.

You can install it and then remove it if you don't like it. There are also complaints from customers who cannot remove it, once installed. This is because the application is active. To remove the Constant Guard Protection Suite, all the customer (usually) needs to do is to use their Administrative Tools control panel to STOP the program, and then use their Program/Features control panel to Uninstall - and then restart. IF there is corrupt file, there are times even this won't work, and for that reason we also have a Cleaner application which will remove all associated program files. That cleaner application can be accessed here:

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Why do I use it? Not because I work here. I use it to securely transfer money between my bank accounts and to look at my savings and retirement acccounts without fear that my accounts will be compromised if I do a money transfer over the internet. CGPS allows me to use a secure browser, not a public browser to look at my bank accounts and do my transfers, securely. To me the advantage isn't to quickly open up a shopping account. There are lots of free password manager applications available. I use it for the secure browser.

New Visitor
missypoo

Do I have the DNS lock feature if I have downloaded cg and norton suite? How would I know if I have it? Thank You

New Visitor
jtmjmm

Just want to download Norton virus protection on new computer.  I do not want the constant guard.  Please get me to the correct site for the download.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi jtmjmm,

The Norton Security FAQ's  will provide you with instructions for the install of NSS under different conditions.

Since you asked for the download, it is here - click on the Get it Now button.  I do recommend checking out the FAQ's prior to installing.

Let us know how you get on! 

New Visitor
jimmalloy

I installed Constant Guard, then installed Norton. Xfinity had me replace my modem so I could gt Voice. Once I reinitialized my new modem. Constant guard was a nightmare. Window just kept popping up, internet crawled.I uninstalled Constant guard and kept Norton.So far it seems to be working fine, but it's only been a week. I wish I had never uninstalled MacAfee!

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

Hi jimmalloy,

I hope when you uninstalled McAfee you ran the McAfee Removal Tool as just the uninstal of McAfee via Control Panel can cause conflicts with Norton.  Not sure abut conflicts with CGPS.

New Visitor

Re: JUST SAY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been with Comcast for a long time. Had Mac when they had it,,, now I got Norton,,, coz they got it.. Didn't seem to have a problem with either... Installed CG the other day (keeping the Norton also) and it was like I went to dial-up.... Even the boots an shutdowns turned into a ponderously slow ordeal... I've never installed anything in a computer that had the effect of pouring superglue on EVERY single process,,, until CG... I tried everything to get the speed back and nothing worked.. It was so bad,,, I purchased 6 more GB of RAM,,, thinking that would solve my problems...

I did the uninstall (keeping Norton) and everything is back to normal ... Sadly the RAM is still on it's way,,,, oh well....

So,,,, hey,,,, don't take my word for it,,,, if you wanna do it,,,, go ahead,,,, it can be undone....

This one worked quickly and painlessly for me,,,,,

http://downloads.idvault.com/comcast/cleaner/constantguardcleaninstall.exe

Windows7 Home Premium 64 bit... I won't bore you (isn't everbody in the 21st century now) with the other stuff because I don't think it matters... Superglue in any machine is,,,,,, superglue.....

New Visitor
18downthemiddle

I have been using CG now for a couple of years with no problem. 3 weeks ago I had the blue screen of death on boot up. Long story short after buying a new hard drive and installing my OS and all the security upgrades and windows upgrades the next thing I did was to install CG then Norton. After I installed CG i did a reboot before Norton and got that blue screen again. Windows repair went back and restored the last know boot log and all is well now. So it looks like CG has done an upgrade that won't work on all computers. I just called and they took all my info and will get back to me. I did like the service and was looking forward to the DNS upgrade.

Security Expert
USAF_E-8_RET

18downthemiddle wrote:

I have been using CG now for a couple of years with no problem. 3 weeks ago I had the blue screen of death on boot up. Long story short after buying a new hard drive and installing my OS and all the security upgrades and windows upgrades the next thing I did was to install CG then Norton. After I installed CG i did a reboot before Norton and got that blue screen again. Windows repair went back and restored the last know boot log and all is well now. So it looks like CG has done an upgrade that won't work on all computers. I just called and they took all my info and will get back to me. I did like the service and was looking forward to the DNS upgrade.

Hi 18downthemiddle,

May I assume you are looking to install Norton Security suite without install CGPS?  If so please follow these instructions.

Please let us know how it goes and if you have any more questions.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

Down The Middle - the update for CGPS which resolves the conflict between the Anti-key-logging and the HP HotKeys driver has been released to the download link at www.comcast.net/security. If you now remove any prior version of CGPS, restart, and install CGPS from the link, the conflict is no longer present, and you can continue to enable the Norton SS from within CGPS. Use your Programs/Features control panel to find and remove the CGPS. After completeing the uninstall survey, restart the computer. Then, navigate to www.comcast.net/security where you can download/instal CGPS.

New Visitor
bossnme

Repl to CGPS-Support Official Employee. Thank you for your information. I too was having problems with Constant Guard. I did delete it and started over and found I couldn't get it without first getting Norton. So when I down loaded the program a second time I was more careful and feel that I got a good install. However, I still have issues. For instance, if I enter the wrong password or user name and click the "no button it didn't work properly", the system seems to hang up and not work at all after that. It just makes a mess.I blame myself.

I can see where the CG will be a great service when all the bugs are cleaned up. I am totally glad somebody is doing something to stop the scumbags in Russia,China  and anyplace else that allow them to steal whatever and whenever they want.

I can envision a world in the future where the scumbags will get money one of two ways.

Work for it.

Or get a gun and go in the front door where everyone will recognize them for what they are.

Official Employee
CGPS-Support

bossnme - if you have Constant Guard Protection Suite (CGPS) and see the prompt, asking if the screen you are seeing is displayed correctly - and you are clicking, "No," what are you seeing on the screen? Are you at the wrong website - is nothing displayed? When you open and store a financial (banking, etc) account with CGPS, the site opens in our secure browser (Secure View) - not in the public browser on your computer. It is the use of the secure browser that is part of the protection of your credentials, account, and transaction. And so, depending on what you are seeing - or when that hang occurs - it is likely that something is keeping our browser from opening or functioning on your computer. When you click "No," or similar, you are prompted to try again. At that point, you are just prompted to enter your credentials a second time. You state that it hangs - is this where that occurs - can you not enter your credentials?

Also - you state you couldn't get CGPS without first installing Norton - and in fact, the Norton installer is included with  CGPS. You can install CGPS and then activate Norton. You can also install Norton by itself - both from the www.comcast.net/security pages. Sorry - if you could provide more information associated with the system "hang," perhaps I can be of some help.

New Visitor

I'm trying to uninstal norton security suite been doing this all day  first I didn't have enough space, now it keeps running the instalation and just stays right there can't get it to stop

Norton Expert
NortonSupport

Hello ,

I'm Harry from Norton Support team. Can you try to use the Norton Removal Tool?

http://www.norton.com/nrt

If you are unable to run the tool in normal mode, you can try to boot the computer in Safe Mode & then run the tool.

Thanks!

Harry

Contributor

Harry:

I'd like to do the opposite to what "sassyone" requested. I had a failure on Norton a few days ago when it kept giving me the message that it "had found a problem and needed to close". When I restarted it, it went to the vault and insisted on loading the same 7 fixes for a security problem every time. I dowloaded Constant Guard, but my elderly WinXP/IE8 machine runs much more slowly than it did without CG.Page changes that took 2 seconds or less are now taking a minute or more, even within the same website.

How do I remove ConstantGuard while retaining Norton?

Frank Damp

Anacortes, WA

Norton Expert
NortonSupport

Hello Frank,

Uninstall the Constant Guard from the Control Panel. If Norton gets removed, follow the instructions provided here to install Norton only:

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Security-and-Anti-Virus/How-to-Initially-Install-Norton-Security-Suite/...

Make sure that you close any pop-up offering Contant Guard during installation so that you can keep only Norton Security Suite.

Thanks!

Harry

Norton Support

Contributor

Thank you very much, Harry. I'll tackle that task first thing tomorrow. I guess my old clunker (which I plan to replace with a Win 8.1 lap-top before the end of the year) just can't hack the modern environment. I'll be disconnecting it from the Internet and restricting its activities to running Quicken and doing photo editing.

I appreciate the prompt response.

Frank Damp