New Visitor

Blocking calls

I would like to know how to block specific phone numbers from calling. Everyday (sometimes twice a day) I get calls from the same number, and would like to completely block this call from getting through. Is there a way to do that?
Contributor

Re: Blocking calls

Comcast allows you to block 12 numbers (although I was online tonight to see if, for a fee, they'd be willing to allow us to block more). Just go to your voice screen and then click Preferences (which is in the top menu, far right). Then go to the left where it says Call Manager/Call Screening. In the next screen select "selective call rejection" and put that annoying number right in there. They will NOT be able to get through. You will LOVE this service. We just just need more than 12!!

Enjoy!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

---

The above information is correct.

Call screening allows you to block up to 12 numbers and these callers will hear a polite message indicating that you are not receiving calls at this time. You can also activate this feature by dialing *60 from your Comcast phone.

We also have Anonymous Call Rejection which blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature. Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.” Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID. Simply dial *77 from your Comcast phone to activate.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor

I had a MOST FRUSTRATING email exchange with Comcast re: my request/suggestion for a way to block more than 12 calls. I would pay more each month if I could. Twelve simply doesn't cover all the harassing calls that come into my house. But the canned emails that Comcast sends out are really more like a slap in the face, with no proof that anyone is really reading the email. It seems that perhaps the system is scanning the email for terms that fall within a database, and then it sends out a canned response that says how much it cares that I'm bothered by something. But in each back and forth, it had the same words verbatim about how much they cared. Really BAD customer service.

But in the end, what would it take for Comcast to (1) end sending canned emails so it seems like someone is really reading them, but more so (2) give us the ability to block more than 12 calls?? Please please!!!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Anonymous Call Rejection blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature.  Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.”  Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID.

Anonymous Call Rejection will Not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.

2. If you receive a harassing or otherwise offensive and illegal telephone call, you can protect yourself using the Call Trace feature.  This feature will store the telephone number of the immediately preceding inbound call.  You should activate Call Trace by dialing *57 as soon as possible after receiving the offensive call in order to ensure that the information about the call is not lost.

3. The National Do Not Call Registry can limit the amount of telemarketing calls you receive. You can register by going to www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222. The National Do Not Call Registry is a service run by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that will stop most telemarketing call but there are some exceptions. Calls from political organizations, charities and surveys are still permitted, along with calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
Nyetah

Thank you, Keisha, for your response however it does not answer the issues that Comcast customers have. Please see the following response to your points:

1. Many callers now simply offer a nondescript "Cell Phone CA", "Cell Phone OR", "Kent WA", "Renton WA", or some other innocuous caller ID. The majority of numbers that appear along with the ID cannot be called back. And in the slim chance you do get through and they offer to take your number off their list...it's a total joke because the calls keep coming. It's the equivalent of asking the email spammers who send such things as "Buy V1agra N0w" email to stop emailing you. Yeah right. So, while "anonymous call rejection" is great, it's largely ineffective in tackling this issue. Strike 1.

2. These calls are not threatening in a violent way but they are most definitely harassing. However, calling the authorities about people calling and simply hanging up is not going to get very far as they have "better" things to do like working with people who are receiving truly threatening calls. So, once again, like the anonymous call blocking, the majority of us are left out in the cold as far as any type of solution. Strike 2.

3. The National Do Not Call Registry only works with legitimate and honest telemarketing companies. Those that prompt the frustration that is being expressed here are not that. Further, while reporting a call is a very good thing to do it will not result in the calls stopping any time soon. Registering a complaint on the Registry will simply go towards any POSSIBLE prosecution and this could be years from now. Strike 3.

The issue with the above options are that they give us no solution that offers immediate assistance with unsolicited phone calls. Some solutions would be allowing all Comcast Voice customers the ability to block a greatly increased number of callers outright (anonymous or "ID'ed").

Thank you for your time.

New Visitor
RBigTuna

Dear Comcast: How can I block a sales call (a nonprofit is calling) where the number does show who it is? This is not an anonymous caller, and they will not give up!  I have their number showing up on caller ID. Thanks for your help.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Folks,

People have been asking Comcast for years to increase the block limit beyond 12 numbers. There is NO technical reason for the 12 number limitation. Since Comcast is staffed by many incompatent people this small change has NEVER been implemented. They just dont care about what you want or with staying current to what their customers need. There are many reasons to block numbers and telemarketers are getting smart about cycling numbers etc.

Those that suggest getting on the do not call list are right. But those that suggest you not give out your number are just out of touch with the reality of how numbers are found and shared. I have 26 blocked numbers, I am on the DNC and still calls from the same places get through because they come from new numbers.

You can do some things:

1) Call the Comcast corporate office in PA and ask for executive customer service. Voice your complaint there and you might have a shot at change

2) Get a free google voice number and forward you comcast number there. Google voice allows for more call screening

3) Get an OOMA account and forward your calls there. There is $9.95 a month charge but you will get unlimited blocking

Its a pity that Comcast cares little for the needs of there customers.

New Visitor
SFJC

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus: Comcast, please increase the limit numbers we can block. 12 is a ridiculously low number.

New Visitor
Nikki217

I agree with everyone else...we need MORE space for blocking!! I have soooo many different numbers calling me every day, and it is so annoying! Please Comcast, help us out here, we are your customers!

New Visitor
rkersting

I recently became a ComCast customer after moving into the Nashville area. I have NEVER before received so many marketing calls etc. until after I received a ComCast # as my home line. I have NOT even give this number out to anyone, as I do use Google Voice (which is what a previous poster suggested). Therefore the only way for me to receive these calls is ("gasp") if ComCast releases or sells this number to make a few extra bucks. I simply see no other explanation for this. 

New Visitor

Unforutnately none of the available options work in my case.

In my case I recieve at least three no-connection calls a day from "800 Service".  This is a HUGE non-US service - I've collected dozens of phone numbers and not once have any repeated.

So even should Comcast increase the total number of blocked number to hundreds - I would still get calls.  Even if I enabled "block private numbers" I still get calls.

This is a battle that needs escalation - like anti-virus or credit fraud: every weapon will have a counter measure developed.  By sticking with the same, years-old solution Comcast is simply conceding defeat.

For right now there are two solutions that would "work" (at least for a while) for me:

1) Allowing us to block based on Caller ID values.  Preferably (to future-proof it somewhat) with wildcarding.  So I could enter "800 Service" into my block list and block all of these... and then when they start doing "800 Service 1" through "800 Service 1000000" I could add "800*Service*"

2) It's the most draconian solution - but why not a whitelist?  I can easily collect the 2-3 dozen numbers that I care about... all the rest can go to... heck.  (Comcast... is "Heck" okay to say?  You know, filtering messages about peoples frustrations for words that help vent that frustration... that's frustrating.)

Comcast - it's time to step up.  Sure - this is the definition of a first world problem, but in the universe of petty, ultimately meaningless problems it's a #$%^& PLAGUE.  I, for one, will immediately move my dollars to any company that helps me get my phone back.

Visitor

ADD Me to the list of customers how think 12 calls on call block is much to low

Perhaps start a facebook campaign  and force Comcast to change their limit

New Visitor
fewarren

I would like to add my voice to this discussion.  We are FED UP with the nearly constant junk phone calls we are getting on our Comcast line.  800 Service is one of the worst, but we have a dozen others as well.  The current Comcast system of blocking specific phone numbers is useless, even if it did not have a 12 call limit.  These guys simply rotate to the next number on their autodialer and walk around the block.  I agree that blocking by owner or source would be a partial (although very welcome) solution. Another good solution would be blocking any call that had only a city name or city/state name.  They are all junk.  If Comcast does not figure out how to get this problem solved, they are going to lose us as a customer!

New Visitor
digitaldog

I too would gladly pay a few dollars a month or more to block unlimited numbers. 12 isn’t enough. Ditto for selective call forwarding. Come on Comcast, we have precious dollars waiting to spend on you if you’d only make the service we need available.  

New Visitor
New Visitor
Git

To block incoming numbers to your Comcast phone:

• Lift your receiver and wait until you hear your dial tone. Press *60.

• Follow the voice prompts to add the first phone number you want blocked. Include the area code and seven-digit number even if you are adding a local phone number.

• Listen for confirmation that the number has been successfully added and move on to the next phone number until all the numbers you want blocked are entered.

New Visitor
bbanator

I'm trying to find out how to block specific phone numbers from calling .

New Visitor

The blocked list is not working very well. I still get calls from a number that is on my blocked list.

New Visitor
Groverer

"Therefore the only way for me to receive these calls is ("gasp") if ComCast releases or sells this number to make a few extra bucks."

1) The calls could be left over from the prior user of that phone number.

2  There are many databases that unscrupulous companies and individuals use that reveal supposedly private phone numbers. 

IOW, there are a lot of reasons that your number and possibly even name may have been revealed besides Comcast divulging them.

New Visitor
dartoncm

Anyone have any ideas onhow to BLOCK calls from "unknown number". Lately I have been getting 2-3 per day. I am sure they are from the same company but there seems to be no way to block them.

I did discover how to block those with numbers...what a great system. I wish, however, we could block more than 12.

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

I'VE JUST TRIED THIS IMMEDIATE BLOCKING TACTIC (*60) AND WE WILL SEE IF IT WORKS, BUT I'LL NEED MORE THAN 12 NUMBERS ALLOWANCE. WAKE UP COMCAST AND DO SOMETHING FOR THE MONEY WE ARE PAYING!

New Visitor
Groverer

I've been using the *60 technique for a while and it seems to work, but the bigger issue is that the callers change numbers frequently so when you block one number, they just start using another number.

New Visitor
dartoncm

If the phone shows "UNKNOWN NUMBER" and not a phone number is *60 going to work???

New Visitor
dahump

I disagree. I have several numbers (800-type) on my call blocking list and Comcast still allows them through. Not only that, but evidently, Comcast clears out the call blocking list periodically so that you have to go back and reenter the numbers.

New Visitor
my3sonsmom

Yes I agree.  It is clear that the numbers that are blocked are released and Comcast does allow these calls to go through again.  There is a number I have blocked three times now.  Approx. every 2-3 months I have to reblock the call after receiving the blocked call again.  I would love it if I did not have to continue to update.  Also since this does not work with out of US calls, US companies attempt to make their phone number look like an international call to avoid being able to be blocked.  Problem is they are US calls.  I consider this to be a great service and I am willing to pay the higher cost of Comcast service for this.  So, Comcast please realize this is a benefit, enhance it and increase your customer base.

New Visitor
Unhappy07

[ Edited ]

I hate my phone.  All I get is harrassing phone calls.  Often times they are from people who are trying to get my credit card number.  Blocking doesn't solve the problem because they keep changing numbers.  These calls get through my caller ID because they put in some meaningless ID.  Why do I keep this phone?  Does Comcast care so little about the quality of their product?  Maybe it's time to get rid of the land line and go completely wireless.

New Visitor
susieinsf

Since Comcast doesn't seem interested in responding to customer requests to permit more than 12 numbers to be blocked, I have discovered a way to expand the list from 12 to 24:  Try "selective call forwarding".  You are allowed to selectively call forward 12 numbers in addition to the numbers you block.  I found a local number that was no longer in service, and whenever I get an unwanted call, I enter that number onto my list to selectively call forward to the disconnected number. 

New Visitor

how do I unblock calls, There are several numbers that are now blocked and don't know how to unblock the numbers. Not sure how this happens.

Visitor
trscons

The '800 Service' 888-417-5534 calls 2-4x/day. I called it back. It is selling Honeywell security systems in my named town. How does the agent know my town when my number is supposedly unlisted? My solution? Turn off the ringer and don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number; the phone lights on an incoming phone. Not worth fighting with Comcast... I have more important things to do. Comcast doesn't work when the power is out; I kept a wired phone that works regardless of storm-caused outages.
New Visitor
akashad

So How do I "unblock" a number. When I check call screening, It says I have no numbers listed (12 numbers), and I see the that the feature is enabled - but see no way to change it to disabled. can you help? 

Contributor

I most definitely agree with everyone about the 12 limit.  Unfortunately I had to go out and pay $160 for a phone system that would block 30 calls, the only problem with that is the phone will still ring one time, and then says "caller blocked".  I don't want the phone to ring AT ALL!  A very popular number to block is 999-910-0122. LOTS of complaints re this #.  I figured the only thing I could do was take it off my phone block, and put it on my Comcast block so it wouldn't ring at all, but in order to do that, I had to dial a certain number at Comcast, which I forgot.  I tried for 45 minutes to get them on the phone! I'm envious of anyone that can now :smileysad:.  After you've hit so many numbers, and get to who is suppose to help you, there is a recording that says all their "executive" people are busy now, but my call will be answered in the order it was received......and then again....and then again......I'm talking no pause here ppl, just that saying over and over and over again.  If you manage to outwait that repetitious nonsense, you are then promptly hung up on.  What the heck is happening with Comcast!!!!!!!!!!

I used to be very happy with their professionalism, and how nice they were.  Unfortunately I can no longer say that.  

New Visitor
NealSch

It's all a farce.  Comcast or any other phone service won't block enough calls for anyone and the Federal Government's "Do Not Call" list is a bigger farce.  I've even put profanity in my complaints hoping to get some sort of response, even from the FBI.  Nobody cares, nobody reads the complaints, and nobody does anything about them.  I wonder how many Federal employees there are for the Do Not Call Program and I wonder just what in the heck they do for their pay out of our pockets.  Perhaps the government can reduce the deficit by getting rid of this department that also doesn't work.  If I get one more credit card offer on the phone I'm going to call the FBI direct.  These credit card numbers just keep changing and you never can speak to anyone as the operators just hang up on you if you ask to get off their list.  This has got to stop.

Visitor

Call Screening to limited   no technical reason it can not be expanded

comcast just to lazy to make changes --- i wish i have verizon locally

New Visitor
FoxCrk

I am also still receiving calls from numbers I've placed on this list. AND I'm on the Do Not Call List.

Why is this feature not working?

Contributor

One thing some of you may not know, especially if you are trying to block from your phone, is when you put in the number and think it was taken, if it was out of the country, it WAS NOT taken, or put on your list.  I've asked them about this and they told me they cannot block anything outside of the United States.  Quite a few of my calls appear to come from there, and they could have because I've been able to trace a few to Ghana and Iran, but the scammers know how to make it appear they are coming from everywhere.  In that case, the only alternative is to buy a phone with blocking features, and then you still may have your phone ring once, while it says "caller blocked"

Contributor
mpnret

I have been using a company called Teleblend (formerly SunRocket) for many years now. Unlimited selective call blocking plus tons of features like sim ring, call fowarding, voicemail, unlimited local and long distance, etc. Service has been rock solid and works over my Comcast internet. They offer teaser introductory rates but in reality after that it will cost you about $15/month for annual billing and about $20/month for monthly billing. I ended up on this comcast discussion forum researching if there were any advantages of me going over to comcast triple play but I can't live with only 12 blocked numbers.

New Visitor
azteen

Lets see i pay comcast for phone service therefore comcast should have my best intrest at heart.

Protect your customers! Instead of blocking calls, can we not just hit something like *xx  to tag call as annoying or harrasing? This way Comcast could tag and evaluate annoying calls in database to figure out how to stop them. Funny thing is you get calls from people wanting to do business with you..based on lies

i.e. fraudulent phone number...I don't know about you but I just love to do business with liars and cheaters.

The way i feel is i pay you....please find a way to fix this for me...

New Visitor
rt11111

how can I block a specific phone number from calling, I have a certain pest I would like to ignore, but they won't stop calling.

Is there a way to block it?

Contributor

Read #2of38 and #3of38 above.

New Visitor
jackthecat254

I recently signed up with Comcast for phone and Internet. Now I took am getting all those telemarketing calls which I can't seem to stop. It really does seem like Comcast SOLD OUR PHONE NUMBERS.

HOW ABOUT WE SET UP CALL FORWARDING OF SOME OF THE 'BAD" NUMBERS TO ONE OF COMCAST'S NUMBERS AND SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT?

Anyone got an idea of which Comcast phone number would be a good one to forward these calls too?

Maybe then we would get some reaction from them!

New Visitor
harveyy

how do i block a number from continually calling me

New Visitor
tiredofcalls

Comcast has not helped me at all with stopping robo calls.  With 12 blocked #'s you block some of these #'s and these people call you on 5 to7 other numbers.  I have tried the Anonymous Call Rejection and the calls keep coming!!!  I have had over 60 unwanted robo/telemarketers calls since Dec 2, 2012    have been on the do not call list since 2003 and am still on it .  Wrote to FCC Nothing done.  No one seems to care about how these people are getting thru to us and actually making life miserable especially when you get 19 calls in one day sometimes every 3 minutes......  Comcast what do you have to say about that?????

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

TRY USING *60 ON YOUR PHONE. THIS WILL GIVE YOU A PROMPT -- #2 -- THEN ADD THE NUMBER YOU WANT BLOCKED AND PUSH POUND (#) YOU WILL BE ABLE TO BLOCK 24 NUMBERS. WHEN THAT IS FULL, DELETE THE EARLIEST NUMBERS. BY THAT TIME YOUR ANNOYING CALLS WILL HAVE MOVED ON. I COULD BLOCK 100 NUMBERS.   GOOD LUCK

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

Check out this posting that I just did in Voice Service and Equipment.

You can't block more than 12 numbers from Comcast. Even unknown and no number call can get though.

They say that political and charity can get though on a unknown number. You can't block international  numbers, no numbers, spoofed, and a lot of other numbers, because Comcast won't listen to its customers and change the way they do their phone works. It's not like they can't, but because of money they won't.

I just got a call blocker, and it does everything that Comcast does not do, and will block up to 80 numbers.

The only thing is it cost $99, but it's worth it to keep my phone from ringing with all this stuff.

New Visitor
tiredofcalls

Where did you buy this blocking device from???????

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

Got it Amazon but you can get it right from the manufacture http://www.digitone.com/

New Visitor
tiredofcalls

thanks, I'm going on Amazon right now!!!!!

Contributor

I am very interested in purchasing this product, but I have a question. There seem to be two models, one for digital and one for landline. The digital one mentions VOIP and the landline one mentions Comcast, so now I'm confused. Also, so this is placed somewhere in the line such that it stops calls from coming in to any of my phones? I don't need a different one for each phone, right? This is exciting!

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

TRY USING *60 ON YOUR PHONE, THEN PROMPT #2, ADD THE ANNOYING PHONE # AND THEN HIT POUND (#) AND NO MORE ANNOYING CALLS FROM THAT #. GOOD LUCK.

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

TRY *60, PROMPT 2, WILL ALLOW YOU TO BLOCK 25 NUMBERS...GOOD LUCK.