Regular Contributor
kdrew

Re: Caller ID shows wrong name

Thanks CaroleP. I just sent an e-mail and we'll see what happens. Seems rather trivial yet it took over 50 posts to make something happen. Please report back in a few months as to the status. I will as well.

:smileycool:

Visitor
eriktracy

OK so this is now fixed for me.  I had to call Targus directly to make it happen - I called them a week ago and then went on vacation, so I cannot tell exactly how long this took, but it was clear that calling Comcast on and off over a 2 year period did nothing, and calling Targus fixed it within 1 week.

The company is actually called TARGUSInfo, here's their website:

http://www.targusinfo.com/

The phone number to call is:

800-682-7487

Tell the operator that you want to place a report for incorrect caller ID info - they will direct you to an automated system where you basically leave a voice mail message, which needs to include the phone number showing the incorrect ID, and give them the name (including spelling) for the correct ID.  They say it can take "as long as 24 hours" for the correction to go through, but best to check it after a few days.

I do not know how much Comcast had to do with fixing it for us, but clearly just "starting a ticket" is nowhere near enough to get this done, you need to take matters into your own hands and contact Targus directly.

Targus is not the only such company that runs this kind of caller ID database, so if you use a different phone carrier (Verizon, Cox, whatever) you will need to dig to find out what database they use, and then contact that company yourself if you cannot get satisfaction from your phone carrier.

New Visitor
suzy22

I actually had this issue corrected after my last post in July. I had been live chatting with a representative and just said I was tired of calling with nothing being done. I don't know what they did; however, this rep switched me to another guy who said he would take care of it immediately. The number was showing correctly within 24 hours. So, I am pleased that after a year it was taken care of. Obviously, I did not have to deal directly with ATT, as Comcast fixed it. Unfortunately, I think sometimes it just depends on who you are on the line with and whether they've had experience with the particular issue. I hope the phone number shown in the previous post - to the database carrier - helps someone. Although my issue has been fixed, I know how frustrating it is and wish you all the best.

Visitor
MoZ_at_Madnet

Thank you for this info. I dialed the number and we will see how long it takes. I've only been waiting a month or so but just now was made aware of WHY it wasn't getting corrected. After talking to a T-Moblie rep I was made aware that there are  multiple database management companies which handle caller id information. It was surprising to discover that a change made at phone number service provider level was not universally accepted by other service providers/database management companies.

New Visitor

My husband just got a new cell phone and new phone number w/ AT&T and he is having the same issue ONLY WITH COMCAST customers.  The name that shows up on the caller ID must be the individual who previously had the phone #.  And  it is not just AT&T cell phone users.  My in-laws have had the same land-line home phone # for 40 years and all of a sudden when they would call us (we are comcast phone customers) some strange name started showing up on our caller ID when they would call us.  They have tried calling Comcast w/ no results.  What is the solution to getting Comcast to update their records??  Has anyone had any success getting it changed?

Regular Contributor
kdrew

Thanks for the note. I just sent an e-mail in August and spoke to someone. Still not fixed......unbelievable......

New Visitor
janiewins

I have the same problem.  Just purchased Verizon cell phone service and the name is wrong when I call people.  Verizon says everything is updated on their end, and this only happens with Comcast users.  I called Comcast and they said that it is not them, rather the wireless company.  Who can I call to fix this? My friends won't answer my calls, since they don't recognize the name.

thanks,

Regular Contributor
kdrew

I have given up hope. Comcast has not a clue about this. It is great to see that others have the same issue but Comcast is unable to solve this rather simplistic issue.

I am baffled........

New Visitor
coxbox21

thank you for posting that!! my mom has ATT and it worked within 24hours.. I had been on live chat ..the person had no idea what I was talking about.. 

I just called and did as you sadi so easy!!!!

New Visitor
coxbox21

Just to clarify it was the  targus(sp?) I cant see it now..    number..nothing to do with calling Comcast.

Regular Contributor
kdrew

If Comcast has nothing to do with this, then why can't they give customers the proper information to clear the problem. Better yet, why can't they do it for you if they will not provide the necessary information to fix the issue??

INSTRUCTIONS BELOW- PLEASE COPY IN ALL REPLIES

It appears as if the post below will fix the issue

800-682-7487

Tell the operator that you want to place a report for incorrect caller ID info - they will direct you to an automated system where you basically leave a voice mail message, which needs to include the phone number showing the incorrect ID, and give them the name (including spelling) for the correct ID.  They say it can take "as long as 24 hours" for the correction to go through, but best to check it after a few days.

I do not know how much Comcast had to do with fixing it for us, but clearly just "starting a ticket" is nowhere near enough to get this done, you need to take matters into your own hands and contact Targus directly.

Targus is not the only such company that runs this kind of caller ID database, so if you use a different phone carrier (Verizon, Cox, whatever) you will need to dig to find out what database they use, and then contact that company yourself if you cannot get satisfaction from your phone carrier.

Regular Contributor
kdrew

Please note that Targus does not answer their phones well so you may need to call several times.

New Visitor
Lorie_C

I have over 125 ATT cell phones, and the caller ID is not updated on any of them.They all still say the old company  name if I call one of my offices with comcast service.

Any ideas?

Lorie

lorie.chirichiello@polygongroup.com

Regular Contributor
kdrew

SUCCESS!! The call to Targus actually worked. The instructions are here:

800-682-7487

New Visitor
Chatzie

I have the same issue with Comcast. I have opened 2 tickets in the last 6 months and I still do not see any change. 

I have tried to call Targus, but could not get an operator and went to company mailbox. 

I do wish to know from the administrator - why is there no accountability ?

It is very embarassing doing business , when your caller ID shows someone unrelated at your customer end. 

I would appreciate some feedback . 

Thanks, 

Rishi

Regular Contributor

I have tried since 11/2011 to get t mobile to change caller id to my name. whenever I call a Comcast phone the old owners name come up. T mobile always say they will do it in 72 hours but research such as this tells me T-mobile use verisign and cannot change anything in targusinfo.  Comcast uses targusinfo. Futher research say Comcast has not updated their customer data base with targusinfo. and comcast customer service knows nothing about this issue. I tried to call targusinfo but got a voice mail. Comcast CS agent know nothing of this problem but this very problem has been in forums back in 2009

Regular Contributor

YOU ARE SO RIGHT. I CALLED I GOT AGENT 123456 IS BUY PLEASE LEAVE A MESSAGE AT TONE AND SO I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS  THIS Was MONDAY AUGUST 13, 2012 AND TODAY IS WEDNESDAY 8/15 20012 AND MY NAME IS ON MY CALLER ID WHEN I CALLED MY COMCAST HOME PHONE AND MY FRIENDS COMCAST PHONES . THE PREVIOUS OWNER'S NAME IS GONE GONE GONE. I FEEL LIKE A WON THE ZILLION DOLLAR PRIZE. IT JUST GALLS ME THAT NOT ONE COMCAST SERVICE AGENTS OR TECHNICAL ABSOLUTELY NO ONE KNOWS ANYTHING ABOUT THE OLD AGED CALLER ID PROBLEM. AND COMCAST PEOPLE NEVER READS "THE HELP AND SUPPORT FORUMS" ABOUT THIS ID PROBLEM WHY. AND COMCAST WANTS TO PROVIDE HOME SECURITY!!!!!!!!!!

Regular Contributor

REPLY TO CHATZIE: IT WORKS I CALLED TARGUSINFO 1 800-682-7478 I GOT AGENT 123446 IS BUSY LEAVE A MESSAGE AT THE BEEP. I SAID "I WANT TO PLACE A REPORT FOR AN INCORRECT CALLER ID. MY NUMBER IS AND MY NAME IS-------.I SPELLED THE NAME OUT AND IT IS DONE. TODAY WED 8/15.

New Visitor
niki_1

I have the same problem and Comcast keeps telling me for 3 years that bthis has nothing to do with them... They say it is all ATT problem!

Regular Contributor

Actually the Comcast Customer Service are sort of correct. So you need to read the other post people here. They solved my problem as my cell carrier is t-mobile & t-mobile caller id carrier is different than Comcast's caller id carrier so T-mobile to Tmobile calls shows my name as correct. It is when I called another person's phone who has Comcast as their phone service`The problem is that Comcast uses Targus& t-mobile can not update Comcasts caller id carrier. Comcast does not update their caller id carrier and their CS agent can not update it. So yoi have to do it yourself as I did.

Regular Contributor

I followed  kdrew  who  on 7-17-12 posted full instructions.

New Visitor
MPR717

Quick note that I was having the same issue.  I called Targus at 800-682-7487 (now called Neustar) and pressed 5 for technical support.  Actually spoke with a really nice person who updated the info in their system while we spoke.  He said it would take up to 24 hours to show up, but that it should work.  I would definitely try that route rather than Comcast (or ATT) directly.

New Visitor
juttasievers

My problem is that my friend calls me and his number shows as chicago title whenever he calls a comcast customers. When he calls AT&T it correctly identifies him. How can this be corrected?

New Visitor
Kmal22762

Long story short,  Comcast changed my phone number and now the caller ID that comes up on any phone is not my name.  I drove the 35 minutes to the service center where the rep there assured me it would be updated within 24 hours. Of course 24 hours have come and gone and it is not resolved.  I cant even go into detail with all the problems I have had with Comcast within the last 3 years but if I can fix this most recent issue, I would be happy. Somehow I dont have faith this will happen.

New Visitor
Kmal22762

I called Targus and the caller ID associated with my phone number is correct (it is my name indeed) and it was updated 2 days ago. Who else can I call? Targus has it correct but Comcast does not. I am losing my patience with Comcast and it is a half hour drive to the service center (who has not helped me yet)

Regular Contributor

As I understand it and what happen to me is what is now happening to you. Targus is Comcast's caller ID data base now as I see in above messages is called Neustar. If Targus/new has updated the base you are all set. MY problem came with my Tmobile cell phone. T Mobile caller Id base was ok but Tmobile's caller ID data base company was not Targus so when I called someone with a comcast phone my new number with T showed the previous owner because Comcast either never or is very slow in updating their caller id company data base. So what you are saying is when you call someone on your comcast landline the person you are calling is not seeing your name..Comcast Customer Service can not put your name into Targus; that is why I had to do it myself. I got the information from reading the past post on this subject. I am sending you this info because Comcast forwarded your problem to my e mail. hope this saves you a long drive.

New Visitor
Kmal22762

Yes, this is correct except when I called Targus, they said have the right name associated with my number and told me Comcast has to update it on their end. It is just more worrisome that if I had to make a 911 call they would have no clue where to go.  Small town and everyone knows everyone but if the caller id is wrong.....

New Visitor
Rrjensen

I have a Century link/Qwest business phone number that was started in January 2012.  Centurylink long ago assured me they have updated their phone number data base so that all other phone companies can update their databases.  I have a residential comcast phone and when I call home the wrong and previous name appears.  I have called comcast, but no one takes any action.  This is disgraceful for a company who seems to do everything else so well. How does one get their business name correct on comcast database?

Regular Contributor

Hi I had the same problem and fixed mine in August 2012. I followed kdrew post of 7/12/12. I called direct to neustar info 1 800-682-7487 (use to be targus info 1-800-682-7487) and you must call them direct because customer service at Comcast can not  do this. You may or may not get a living person. I did not get a living person. I pressed 5 and got the automatic system I gave my number that showed the incorrect caller ID name, then gave the correct name and be sure to spell out your name for the correct name. This can take up to 48 hrs. I hope this works for you.

New Visitor
toniveloni

Hi Steve,

We are also having a problem with caller id. The bank I work for, phone number 360-533-8870 is Bank of the Pacific.  When we call out the caller ID shows Sterling bank when it should be Bank of the Pacific.

Can you help us with this?  I would call but I don't know who to call.  My direct line here is 360-537-4067.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Toni Veloni

Bank of the Pacific

Network Support

tveloni@bankofthepacific.com

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

To correct this problem see my  post above of 3/28/13 and kdrew post of 7/12/12 for instructions of how to correct this problem

New Visitor
SherylLA

I have been trying to get my caller id fixed for over 2 years. I just recently got a 3rd line and it also showing incorrect. When I call technical support, they say it shows right on their end but when I call people, it shows other names. This is so frustrating. Has anybody been able to solve this with Comcast?

New Visitor
AnneBethel

Just disovered I have the same problem: caller ID comes up as Edward Espinall.  Would like to know how to fix this!  Am also still getting lots of dunning calls from credit card companies that are not for me.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update for those still seeing this!

The Company Phone # to call as described 1-800-682-7487 is still correct but is now called newstar.

They do NOT identify themselves when answering so just tell them you need to correct a caller ID and they'll patch you through to the automated answering machine..

Give your 10 digit number, the name desired and the spelling then hang up and wait!

By the way, the problem I am trying to correct is two of our family member's cell phone numbers displaying old names on Incoming calls for over a year now! Our Comcast outbound ID is fine and these numbers have worked perfectly with other major players for a long time. It has just been incoming Comcast ID giving us fits!

Perhaps soon I will be able to stop laughingly calling my Wife, Jorge Garcia?

:smileycool:

Visitor
EFTR

Thank you so much for this information.  It worked !  My son's name, when he called from his cell phone, suddenly changed overnight to a woman's name.  I called, left the message and within hours it was corrected.

New Visitor
cwarnn

We have Comcast at home and AT&T at our business. One of the phone lines at work shows up with the wron name on our comcast phone at home. The name is of someone that works for us but not our business name. At& T checked and they have the lines correctl named. How can I change the incorrect ID that comcast is showing?

New Visitor
JBillante

I have had this same issue for 4 years. I have called in numerous times and have been given the run around. My number is still associated with the woman who had this number previously. I get cold calls every day from companies that are trying to reach her. To make things more complicated the previous owner of this number has the same first name as me. Can someone please tell me who I need to contact so this will actually be fixed.

New Visitor
artebotanica

atte

Contributor
whattheX

When my daughter calls our home using her pre pay cell phone the wrong name has been showing for about three years.  I've talked to pre pay customer service (T-Mobile) and they told me my daughters name is in their records.  I was also told that Comcast uses a third party data base that is connected to a phone number and that is what shows up on Comcast caller ID on the TV.  I've talked to comcast and no one seems to be able to remove the old name and replace it with my daughters....or at least have it show up as a cell phone call?

Regular Contributor

@glitch47,

The answer you provided worked. It only took them an hour to update it. Thanks.
Regular Contributor

Just look backward a few posts from your own to he one I re-posted from previously provided fix long ago!

The name of the poster is the same as mine. Glitch47

To others who've been helped please give my answer kudos so it will pop up for people who search this problem.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

glitch47 I kudoed your post. could you/someone kudo mine deweyfriday of 8/13/12, 2 on 8/15/12, 11/02/13, 3/06/13, 3/28/13 with all the in depth instructions of my 3 year quest to fix this still on going problem. I solved this problem from kdrew 7/12/12 post.  I just kudo'd his now. I did not realize until you mentioned kudo'd show up to solve this on going frustration.

Contributor
whattheX

This information works great....after giving them the information a person needs to wait up to 72 work week hours (don't count weekends) before testing.  You would think that Comcast would either just give out the phone number and procedure or at least explain that it's a third party that corrects the problem and they will cantact them to correct.  I've talked to Comcast Customer service and they seem to have no idea and have told me it's the service provider of the phone that is calling use or they elevate to a higher technical support level.  Then you wait .......and wait.......and wait and never hear back.  Thanks glitch47 

Contributor
whattheX

Glith47 provided this information and I thought I'd repost it for others:    To correct the name associated with a particular phone number, call NEWSTAR INFORMATION SERVICES at 1-800-682-7487.....automated voice message will ask you to select or press from five options......press 5 for support.

You will need to give them the 10 digit number, the name and spelling of the name you want to be associated with that number.   You will need to wait....sometimes up to 72 hours before testing...(don't count weekend hours).    

Regular Contributor

Thank you who ever kudo me.  I have spent the day researching how caller ID data base company Neustar work and how they make their money. Comcast pays them. Nothing new about that. This problem we are all having is A CELL PHONE that  our cell phone number is a recyled number and 1st person's name who obtained this number in the Comcast caller id data base shall remain it seems forever OR Until like myself and the rest of us do it ourselves .Comcast has to pay each time it changes the person name attached to this number. A while back cell phones numbers only came to a Comcast landlines as example "wireless". Cell phone numbers recycle fast and cost and consume to much time and money to keep changing to the correct name. So for all future people looking to solve this problem PLEASE LOOK BACK  AT PREVIOUS FORUM POSTS. THE INFORMATION IS THERE FOR YOU ALL TO BE ABLE TO FIX YOUR PROBLEM which you must do unfortunately YOURSELVES.

Contributor
tearmann

Steve,

I am hoping there is a process to correct this and I saw you helped other.... My Mobile Phone Caller is showing up incorrectly for Comcast CDV customers when I call them. I verified with T-Mobile it is not them sending incorrect information and whom can I contact to get this corrected?

Contributor
whattheX

This has been posted several times:  Call 3rd party...Neustar at 1-800-682-7487, select appropriate option, I believe it's 5.  You will most likely have to leave the information on a recorder. Give the 10 digit number, the name and the spelling of the name you want associated with the number.  It takes 24-72 hours before you can expect a change to show up.

Regular Contributor
Anon27867

Is the solution to this (calling the third party to fix calller ID) STILL appropriate in March of 2014?

Contributor
whattheX

It's approciate if it fixes the problem, and it has as resend as last month...Feb. 2014 

New Visitor

Amazing !  Thank you ErikTracy I called the number at 10:30pm last night waited for the prompts to say press # whatever for caller id updates left my phone number and spelled out my name I just came home called my comcast landline and HURRAYYYYYYYYY the caller id said my name like it should have.