New Visitor
EFar

Fictitious numbers getting through Caller ID

Today I got a call from an obviously fictitious number, 555-000-0000.  I picked up, they hung up.  We all get calls like this every day, but usually the company/bot whoever is placing the call at least makes an effort to invent a number that sounds real.

Why does Caller ID software not have the capability to sift out and block numbers that are non-existent? 

I have been on the no call list for years and also have anonymous phone call rejection activated on my line.  If these features do not prevent this type of call, then what is the use of them?

It seems to me that the only numbers blocked by anonymous rejection are those belonging to my friends who have unlisted numbers, from whom I *wish* to receive calls.  Useless. 

I have also received many calls from "Florida" numbers (why are they always in Florida?) that when you try to call them back, even just to find out what they want or ask them not to call again, you get that lovely tone followed by the message that the number is disconnected, not in service, or does not exist.  How is it possible that someone called me from a phone number that is not in service?  Puzzling.  Maddening! 

Possible solutions:

1.  Have some protocol in place for when a company or individual wishes to register a name and number to be used on the caller ID system.  If that number does not exist, block the call from going through entirely.  Force them to enter the real number and name or they can't place a call.  My privacy is being invaded, why is theirs so all-fired important?  I don't know if the current technology makes this possible, but it would be nice.

2.  At the very least, Comcast should have a system to report numbers that appear on caller ID that do not exist or which make harrassing calls.  We can all go to those phone number "complaint" websites and type until our fingers are falling off, but I don't think they make a difference.  We should be able to go to Comcast specifically and report an offending number. 

Customer service representatives should not have to say "I don't know" or "change your number" in answer to this prevalent problem.  It is rampant and needs to stop.  The reporting of offending numbers could be made on comcast.net or the customer service person could enter them in a database.  Or, so as not to waste representatives' time, there could be an option on the 800 number to enter such numbers directly from the customer's keypad.

Please, someone make this happen.  It seems as if it would be SO EASY to implement and would restore thousands (millions?) of Comcast customers' sanity and peace of mind. 

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to read this. 

Regular Contributor

Re: Fictitious numbers getting through Caller ID

I've been getting calls from Restricted@76.96.4 and Restricted@76.96.6, as well as from callers id's that say Out of Area Unk-nown (yes, that's the spelling), and others that are obviously fake.  I have anonymous caller rejection enabled, but these calls keep getting through, and it's aggravating.  My suggestion to Comcast would be to automatically block those numbers -- nobody wants to get calls from them!  Also, I would love to be able to block more than 12 numbers. 

In the meantime, I just don't answer the phone when these calls come in.

New Visitor

First off...Annonymous Caller Rejection concerns numbers that have NO caller ID associated with them.  Those that display Restricted@76.96.1, 555-000-0000, Pri-vate, etc. are NOT annonymous as they do NOT block being displayed.  Ficticious, YES...annonymous, NO.

That being said, We have begun experiencing this phenomena ourselves.  When you answer there is no hang-up, no dial tone, NOTHING!  Dead silence.  Very disconcerting.

We too have listed ourselves on the NO CALL LIST (for whatever good that did).  I have a feeling these are "feeler" calls looking for active numbers.  Much like feeler emails lookimg for active email addresses to spam.  When you respond you are notifying the requestor (albeit inadvertantly) that the email (phone number) they have reached is active and CAN RECEIVE!

No answers being offered...just adding my voice to the list of complainers.

New Visitor
Andi-Talks

Have some protocol in place for when a company or individual wishes to register a name and number to be used on the caller ID system.  If that number does not exist, block the call from going through entirely.  Force them to enter the real number and name or they can't place a call.  My privacy is being invaded, why is theirs so all-fired important?  I don't know if the current technology makes this possible, but it would be nice

I agree with your articulate recommendation!  I called Comcast about the number 999-999-9999 which I could not block because it is an "invalid number."  What I wonder is how does a person with nefarious intentions manage to use a phone with a legitimate phone number, yet  bypass caller ID?  I thought the number of the phone is connected to the phone system being used.  How can they create a fictitious number using a valid phone line?

The Comcast guy told me they use a system called "spoofing caller ID."  I want to spoof the spoofers.  How can I do that?

Bottom line, Comcast should be one step ahead of these scoundrels and give us options to foil their invasions of our privacy.

Contributor

I would like to support and add my request that Comcast -- upgrade their software package which will allow the "trapping" of SPOOFED caller IDs.  It is very simple to spoof your caller ID, in fact, Comcast can do that for all of us... You simply ask Customer Service to enter what ever you want in your outgoing name field... I don't know if they can or would spoof the outgoing number...

I know that Comcast already has something in place to determine VALID phone numbers because when I try to add a "spoofed" number to my call rejection list, it comes back with an error message... That it is an "Invalid" number. 

I have had a number of telemarketers call that have ignored the "no call list" and they have not spoofed their phone number.  When that happens, I can add them to my Call Screening or Call Forwarding list.  I like the Call Forwarding list because if I they are "phishing" for valid numbers... I can send them to my FAX number... I use e-fax which already catches and screens these spoofed numbers.  I never get faxes from marketing companies or unwanted solicitations. 

Once again, I am requesting that we be able to ADD spoofed phone numbers and or any caller ID to our call rejection and call forwarding list.  I am requesting that Comcast consider a "filtering" system similar to our EMAIL filters... As we all know, we can filter any email address that "contains" any text that we choose.  If I could "filter" a phone number that contain: zeros (000) or pri-vate or Unavailable or 800 Service, that would be perfect.

From what I can tell, currently the forwarding and screening feature is accessing only the incoming phone number field.  But it is not (and probably should not) do any screening... That should be left up to us.  I assume that the data field property is that of a "phone number"... If it could be changed to a "text" field, we would be able to "add" the spoofed numbers.  I do know that converting the existing data might not be easy.  So, maybe the simplest thing would be to add a new feature called "Call Filtering"... This could allow us to access both the callers NAME and PHONE NUMBER fields... And treat them as "text" fields. 

I also vote for more than 12 numbers in the forwarding and filtering feature... Remember memory is cheap.  Thanks for listening.  /ca

New Visitor

I get the same calls from this 76.96.6 number and no one answers. I started forwarding the calls  to a number with an AT&T phone service that has privacy manager, and the calls cannot get through. Looks like I will be switching back to AT&T since comcast can't solve the problem.

New Visitor

I'm in shock that Comcast hasn't updated their service in forever. I have had service through Lingo and the service was amazing and included a lot more than what Comcast offers. 

Contributor

sunbear, I know of a way to get 12 more numbers blocked.  Well, not really blocked...forwarded.  Under "preference" in Comcast Voice, go to "forward calls".  There you have the option to foward calls from one number to another.  Its quite funny actually.  I've got these jokers calling each other all the time.  It really works!

Contributor

It is funny... I once used an 800 number for a bank in China... When they answered, they only spoke Chinese.

Contributor

I am still wondering if Comcast is going to update the software which will block "spoofed" and invalid CID numbers?

It seems to me that if Comcast can identify an "invalid" number like 555-000-0000 when we try to enter it into our "blocked" lists... it can identify those same invalid numbers when they 'enter' the system... If we ask to block spoofed or invalid numbers, that should be an easy software fix.

Here is what I would suggest:

The Comcast customer would have the ability to block any CID by name... such as UNAVAILABLE, Pri-vate, UNKNOWN... or even John Doe.

The Comcast customer would have the ability to block any CID by number... if the number is spoofed or invalid, we could enter the "string" that shows up on CID...

Allow more than 12 entries in the Call Forwarding and Call Screening fields.

Here is an example of the problem:

Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 8 seconds 7/13/2010, 7:53
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 5 seconds 7/13/2010, 7:45
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 5 seconds 7/13/2010, 7:29
UNAVAILABLE (303) 330-0990 3 seconds 7/12/2010, 16:40
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 4 seconds 7/12/2010, 14:18
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 4 seconds 7/12/2010, 13:57
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 4 seconds 7/12/2010, 13:28
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 5 seconds 7/11/2010
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 6 seconds 7/11/2010
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 4 seconds 7/11/2010
UNAVAILABLE (303) 330-0990 3 minutes 29 seconds 7/2/2010
Name Unavailabl (303) 330-0990 4 minutes 49 seconds 7/2/2010

Comcast -- we need your help.

/ca

Regular Contributor

I hope Comcast is reading our posts because I really think they should listen to their customers and do something about this annoying problem.

I'd like to have the ability to block entire area codes, like 855 (the newest offender), 866, 877, 888. If that's too much to ask for, I'd like to be able to block by name, like "800 Service".

And it goes without saying that I'd like to be able to block more than 12 numbers. I'm getting calls from a new annoyance number every day - those 12 spots fill up fast!

How about Comcast, are you listening to your customers' requests? PLEASE help us!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

Sorry about the issues your are having. Let me clarify how these features work with caller id.

Anonymous Call Rejection blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature.  Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.”  Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID.

Anonymous Call Rejection will Not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.

The National Do Not Call Registry can limit the amount of telemarketing calls you receive. You can register by going to www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222.

The National Do Not Call Registry is a service run by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that will stop most telemarketing calls. 

• Q: Will all telemarketing calls stop?
  • A: Most will stop, but there are some exceptions. Calls from political organizations, charities and surveys are still permitted, along with calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think the solution is easier that you think... as a former programmer... I know that if Comcast would like to fix this they could... Under the "call rejection" protocal, they could simply filter ALL incoming calls and reject invalid numbers...

If you try to enter "555-000-0000" into your call forwarding or call rejection list... it will come back with an error message... That it is an "Invalid" number.  Comcast has software that can determine invalid numbers... the question is, why won't they use it as a filter on our lists...  I think it should be first filter used...

Maybe if enough of us raise our complaint voices... they will listen and act.

Contributor

Keisha,

Thank you for your reply... it allows me to realize that Comcast is "listening"

However, I think we all understand how the current system works... what we are asking is for Comcast to make some software enhancements to also block "spoofed" CID numbers (which by the way is a violation of Federal law...) as well as "invalid" numbers like 555-000-0000. 

I know that Comcast already has software in place to determine VALID phone numbers because when I try to add 555-000-0000 to my call forwarding or call rejection list, it comes back with an error message, "Invalid" number.

The second thing we are asking is to increase the number of numbers we can add to our 2 lists... 12 is just not enough to handle these harassing calls.  Please remember... memory is cheap...

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

--

You have a very good suggestion. I have escalated your feedback request to my supervisor.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor

Thank you... I know there are many Comcast customers who will appreciate this...

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

----

Try this link and you can submit feedback online.

If this link doesn't work. Simply go to www.comcast.com-click on customers-

Select contact us. There are 6 ways to contact comcast. Choose option 6 for suggestions and feedback.

http://www.comcast.com/customers/feedback/default.cspx

If you require more assistance Just let me know.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Regular Contributor
VSHixson

I have a feeling that comcast is making money off these calls somehow. That's why they don't want to do anything about it. EVERY comcast customer gets them but most don't report them.(They know comcast dosen't listen or care.) My complaint has been esclated for 2 weeks now and I'm still waiting. If comcast really wanted to stop this they could. They are like Ma Bell used to be: We are comcast, we don't care because we don't have to.

Contributor

For now I remain hopeful that Comcast will respond and help us... I would like to encourage EVERYONE that is reads this forum to step up their complain as suggested by Keisha in her response to me... 

It makes no business sense to not be responsive to customers these days... it is too easy to switch to another company...  /ca

Regular Contributor

I don't think Comcast will be expanding its blocked number capabilities any time soon, if at all. I went ahead and sent them feedback and here's the reply I received:

>>>>>>We apologize for the issues that you recently experienced with your 
phone service. We are sorry to hear that these area codes are an 
annoyance when they call, and that 12 numbers is not enough to have 
blocked. The twelve numbers that we offer is the limit per customer with
Comcast. We also have the caller id feature available so that you can 
screen all incoming calls to your number. You also have the option to 
have your number as non listed, or you could change your number to a 
different one. If you would like one of theses other features please 
call 1-800-Comcast or go online to www.Comcast.com/support 24/7.

We apologize for any inconvenience or misunderstanding. I hope this 
resolves this issue to your satisfaction. If there is anything else we 
can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us at 1-800-Comcast<<<<<

I give them credit for responding to my request so quickly.

Regular Contributor
VSHixson

What did I tell you. We're comcast and we don't care because we don't have to.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

--

Sorry about the inconvenience. We called and left a voice message for you in regards to your ticket.

In a private message can you send me the best phone number to reach you on. So that we don't continue to miss you.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Regular Contributor
VSHixson

I have called the number that was left for me three times. Left a message with phone number but got no reply. Unless I sit by this phone twenty four hours a day I won't get a reply. You have all the information I can give you. The numbers(?) that I cant do anything with are: Pri-vate, Unk-nown, and 111-111-1111. There is nothing I can do on this end, just do whatever it is on your end to fix this. This is my last communication on this subject because I'm sick of this %$&#. If you won't or can't do anything about this I'll have to get another phone service.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

VSHixson wrote:

I have a feeling that comcast is making money off these calls somehow. That's why they don't want to do anything about it. EVERY comcast customer gets them but most don't report them.(They know comcast dosen't listen or care.) My complaint has been esclated for 2 weeks now and I'm still waiting. If comcast really wanted to stop this they could. They are like Ma Bell used to be: We are comcast, we don't care because we don't have to.

Have you asked EVERY Comcast customer if they get these calls? If you did, you missed one-me.

I have not gotten any of them since I switched to Comcast digital voice.

I did get them often when I had AT&T phone service. Blessed relief not to have to deal with them anymore. And there was no way to block them when I was using AT&T. When I tried I got the dreaded

"invalid number".

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor
VSHixson

Check your missed calls. If you don't have them yet, you will, wait and see.

Regular Contributor
VSHixson

Just a note to let you know. My answered calls list shows a 17 second call from (111)111-1111. If it was answered I sure would like to know who it was. Guess call forwarding and call screening dosen't work at all so don't waste your time. We're comcast, we don't care because we don't have to.

Regular Contributor

That happened to me, too. A number I never answered showed up in my Answered Calls list. When I googled it, it turned out to be yet ANOTHER charity bothering me. People on the 800whocallsme boards complain about these charities all the time - they sometimes call twenty times a day and if someone answers (I refuse to) there's no one on the other end. A popular theory is that they're not really charities, that they're just trying to find a live number to add you to a list, which they then sell. I think some of them are debt collecters, trying to reach the wrong party.

Whatever the case, I'm SICK OF IT! I think Comcast owes it to their customers to give us the option to block any calls and as many calls as we need to. Being able to block "anonymous" calls doesn't help us, because these annoyance calls call themselves "800 Service". The Do Not Call list is absolutely useless and also allows so-called charities and politicians (God forbid!) to call you. I wish Comcast would step up and help us out! 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

I have sent over your request and concerns regarding the UN wanted calls from charities, telemarketers and various UN available numbers as well as wanting to be able to add more numbers to the call blocking for 800 numbers.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor

The request for help from Comcast customers on this blog began on: 05-16-2010 05:05 PM...

This is more than just a nuisance… these calls are coming from scammers, who are attempting to steal from us.  The filters that Comcast has to capture spam email is pretty good… it can’t find them all, but it is easy to mark them as spam and we do not get them again. 

Maybe the programmers could add a new option which would allow us to “mark” these fictitious or “spoofed” numbers as SPAM… that way next time they would be blocked before they ever get to us.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

VSHixson wrote:

Check your missed calls. If you don't have them yet, you will, wait and see.

I don't have to check missed calls. The numbers will show up on caller id.

IF I do get them in the future I will do the same thing I did with AT&T which was don't answer it.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Visitor
Airdoc

Comcast considers a call "answered" if your voicemail picks up.  I have numerous calls like this even though I have the "block all anonymous calls" checked. Also, why can't I delete some of these from the list?

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

We're starting to get more calls from "Unk-nown", and because it does not have numbers it can't be blocked.

Is there going to be a way to block the call in the near future?

New Visitor

As just one example of many, over yesterday and today, I received 9 calls from “UNKNOWN” with number 6-557-425-8913 (as listed in Comcast caller ID).  If I try to answer, no one picks up.  If I let it ring, no message is left.  Also, see http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-557-425-8913 .  I also tried adding the number listed above to my *60 screen list, but the system will not accept it.

Comcast, please fix “Screen all anonymous calls” to include UNKNOW callers and also please update *60 feature to accept any number listed on caller ID even if fictional.  

I reported this issue over a year ago and I see this post string is also as long.  Comcast – please help your customers!

Contributor

Keisha,

You said that you have sent our concerns to higher levels.  But nothing seems to be happening.  Is is possible to bring one of those "higher" ups into this discussion?  You are just in the middle... I think we would like to hear from those who make the policy... and seem to be ignoring customer requests.

New Visitor
badtoys

we just got comcast voice we are getting more junk calls than i ever  did with vontage tried blocking but some are still getting through if they don't fix this i will be going back to vontage

Contributor

[ Edited ]

The other day, I was listening to the radio and an elderly woman called in to complain about a charge that had been placed on her credit card for $999.00.  She said she responded to a call with a "spoofed" CID and ficticious number.  It was robo call from a company called CREDIT CARD SERVICES.  They told her that they could lower her credit card interest rates.  She gave them the information they asked for... and she has not heard from then since -- except for the fact that they charged her $999.00. 

The point I would like to make is, this blog contains many complaints about Ficticious and Spoofed scammers and we have asked Comcast to help us by increasing the number numbers we can forward, screen and block.  Our concerns seem to be going no where... what more do we need to do to get Comcast to help us?

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

We're getting more unknown numbers now more than ever. I even picked up the call and it was a credit collector looking for someone not at this number, told them that and still getting the calls. What I would want is a way to get a number so it could be blocked.

New Visitor
badtoys

i've blocked 10 numbers so far but i think it is a joke one of the numbers i blocked came back through again later because i tried to block it and it said number already on list well if it's on the list why is it getting through duh!!!!!!

Contributor

Their silence says it all.  They don't care.

What I've been doing about these calls is a bit involved but if you have 10-15 minutes to dedicate towards this, it does help.  First of all, be sure that in the "preferences" section, "selective forwarding"is checked.   This inables you to have an additional 12 calls blocked (rather forwarded to a bogus number---one of the spammers).  Then monthly I research through Google every single call that I have blocked and forwarded to keep up-to-date with the jerks.  If I notice that people stopped complaining about a number say six months ago, I figure it's safe to take them off my list.  Because we all know they frequently change their numbers knowing we block them.  This way I can make room for more numbers.  Weekly I check my "missed calls" and add them to my lists. 

Yes, it's time consuming but it does work.  Until Comcast helps us out on this, aside from canning them, I guess this is what I have to do to not have my evenings interupted.

Regular Contributor
pudwinker

I do that too, but what you can't do is block the "Unknown" calls as there is no numbers, so they get throu.

Contributor

Agreed.  There are some numbers that unfortunately don't seem to be able to be blocked. 

New Visitor
Bait

It's been a month and a half since anyone's posted, but I just noticed in my call logs that all the old "Unavailable" and "Unk-nown" now show "Forward (Work) Unavailable" and "Forward (Work) Unk-nown".  If Comcast knows the calls are forwarded, perhaps they can be blocked in the near future.

Even though Charity's, Surveys, and etc. have the legal right to call us, we should have the right to block them. We should also have the right to block all 800 to 900 numbers and all the ones that only have a City!

Regular Contributor

Here's a new one: in the past I was getting calls from "Pri-vate" and "Unk-nown". Now today I get a call from "V03201316340078" with "407-476-5501" under it. I googled it and found that the 407 number is linked with an interest-lowering company, but what's up with that long V0 number?? I've long since used all the 12 blocking spaces allotted to me (thanks for being so generous, Comcast --- NOT!) and I bought a new Panasonic phone that blocks up to 30 numbers, which is filling up quick. I'm just getting SO very sick of being attacked by unsolicted calls in my own home. And if someone from Comcast answers this post, PLEASE don't bother invoking the Do Not Call list. It DOES NOT WORK. Basically, my post today is just another rant so I can blow off steam. Our country is battling a new war - one with unidentified, unsolicited, unwanted scam telemarketers. All I want is the ability to block as many numbers as I want and need to. Please Comcast, give that to me. 

New Visitor
badtoys

V03201316340078 i've been getting this # for months and you can not block it 

Contributor

Listen up Comcast! 

Call screening for specific numbers is useless against spams and scams. Even if 12 numbers was enough, it won't work because the scammers keep changing their numbers. 

I get several scam phone calls a day. "Do not call" is a joke to these people because, Hello!, they are crooks! The FTC laws work to keep honest businesses in line, but in this regard it is spineless and toothless.

The entities that have the power to do something about these calls are the ISPs and phone service providers. Since Comcast is a big player in both arenas, Comcast can do something about this. It's pretty easy to implement software that blocks these scams. Most of the numbers are obviously bogus. Even the ones that look honest have the same handful of recorded messages, so they can easily identified.

Comcast, if you care about your customers, do something about this. If you don't care about your customers, as you obviously do not, another company that does care about customers will take over your space. As soon as I see an alternative that works, I'm moving.

Or, wait a minute: is it that the scammers are such good customers Comcast doesn't want to alienate them?

Regular Contributor
VSHixson

I've already been through all of this, even got it escalated to a third level. Then I received "The call". "I'm very sorry but there is nothing we can do."  That is what I was told by a third level supervisor. So no matter how much complaining you do, you will get no help. If you do some digging you will find these calls are from Comcast, they are making sure the number is still in service so it can be sold to telemarketers. Believe me, I've been there and done that and Comcast refuses to help. So whenever you have a problem remember the company motto: We are Comcast and we don't care, because we don't have to.

Contributor

Add to the list of useless Comcast replies.

Hi papagute,

Thanks for sharing your concern with us. The Forums team has been made aware of your issue.
New Visitor
dsmoot15

What everyone needs to to do is send these complaits to " brian_roberts@comcast.com". he is the CEO and when I sent him a issue there was a response almost immeciatly.

Visitor
marysc

damoot15 - thanx for your suggestion to email the Comcast CEO!!  Maybe if enough of us did this, and others gave email addresses and phone numbers for company bigwigs, they would start listening to us?  At least we could give them a taste of their own medicine!

Mary in SC

Regular Contributor
VSHixson

The problem is, their phone screening and e-mail filters actually work as advertised.