Contributor
JKBATTLE1

HOW CAN I BLOCK "ANONYMOUS AND NUMBER UNAVAILABLE" CALLS.

A LITTLE HELP PLEASE, ON BLOCKING INCOMING "ANONYMOUS AND NUMBER UNAVAILABLE" CALLS. I'M TIRED OF NOT KNOWING IF THESE CALLS ARE ROBO-CALLS OR NOT AND WOULD LIKE TO BLOCK THEM COMPLETELY.  THANKS FOR ANY HELP. 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: HOW CAN I BLOCK "ANONYMOUS AND NUMBER UNAVAILABLE" CALLS.

[ Edited ]

In Xfinity Connect go to the voice section, click on preferences, and confirm your "block anonymous calls" is checked.  The menus are in the process of being updated to a new layout, so you might not see exactly what is shown below.

anon.JPG

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

I HAVE DONE THAT ALREADY AND AM STILL RECEIVING "ANONYMOUS' AND "NUMBER UNAVAILABLE" CALLS. I WANT TO BLOCK THEM COMPLETELY. PLEASE ADVISE AS TO NEXT STEP. 12 NUMBERS IS NOT ENOUGH, THOSE ARE NUISANCE CALLS WITH TELEPHONE NUMBERS. HOW DO I LIST "NUMBER UNAVAILABLE"?????

Contributor
BobJ111

Try using PhoneTray.  It works well, the software is free, and only requires a $25 modem between your computer and the phone line.  It's provided by  http://www.traysoft.com/products.htm

Contributor
JKBATTLE1

I'M SUPPOSED TO PAY TO NOT RECEIVE " ANONYMOUS AND NUMBER UNAVAILABLE" CALLS???? WHY DOESN'T COMCAST HIRE SOME ONE TO WRITE CODE THAT WILL PREVENT THOSE UNSOLICITED ANNOYING CALLS. ANSWER ME THAT!

New Visitor
wideawake

Haveing the same problem...Put in a ticket. I want to switch to Vonyage but Im stuuck with a 2 year contract. So I made a formal complaint and it they dont fic it in the next week Im moving my service and they better not try and charge me to break the contract. I dont like getting 8 phone calls a day and being harrassed.

Contributor

JKBATTLE1, I'm sorry to say that 'solution' isn't going to help you. Calls with a bogus number aren't 'anonymous.'

Listen up Comcast! 

Call screening for specific numbers is useless against spams and scams. Even if 12 numbers was enough, it won't work because the scammers keep changing their numbers. 

I get several scam phone calls a day. "Do not call" is a joke to these people because, Hello!, they are crooks! The FTC laws work to keep honest businesses in line, but in this regard it is spineless and toothless.

The entities that have the power to do something about these calls are the ISPs and phone service providers. Since Comcast is a big player in both arenas, Comcast can do something about this. It's pretty easy to implement software that blocks these scams. Most of the numbers are obviously bogus. Even the ones that look honest have the same handful of recorded messages, so they can easily identified.

Comcast, if you care about your customers, do something about this. If you don't care about your customers, as you obviously do not, another company that does care about customers will take over your space. As soon as I see an alternative that works, I'm moving.

Or, wait a minute: is it that the scammers are such good customers Comcast doesn't want to alienate them?

New Visitor
gregmorris88

I agree - COMCAST needs to be responsible to the decent people who are paying their mortgages!!!

No one should be able to get through if the number is unavailable. 

Come on COMCAST! Be a leader in protecting us from this bullsh1t!!

New Visitor
gregmorris88

Of course they are affiliated with NBC sooo.......they are likely influenced by the group that doesnt want to do anything about it. Perhaps the group enabling these stupid credit card interest rate scams...

Contributor
BobJ111

I answered this above some time ago.

Comcast can only block 12 numbers.  You can also forward unwanted callers to another number (like the most obnoxious telemarketer), which gives you 24 numbers you can block. That's not nearly enough.

When I got tired of switching out the least used blocked number for a new one, I got a commercial piece of software called PhoneTray (www.phonetray.com).  It is now $30 for the software and $30 for the HIRO modem that goes in the phone line to monitor / block the calls.  There are also others, but I've been happy with PhoneTray.  I think Panasonic also has a phone blocker built into one of their handset systems.  Check out phonetray's website, and good luck.