Recognized Contributor

How do I block "800 Service" calls?

[ Edited ]

Is there a way to block calls based on their caller ID description?  I know you can do it by phone number, but I need to block by the called ID name "800 Service".

Thanks.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Re: How do I block "800 Service" calls?

Hi there - please see this faq - http://customer.comcast.com/Pages/FAQViewer.aspx?Guid=ab4a4879-1581-45d5-9a02-2cab0fa85f70

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor
Ladylouie222

I do not see any option to block all 800 callers

New Visitor
cookag

I am having the same problems -- several calls a day from 800 Service, but they keep changing the phone number on their caller ID. Please help!

New Visitor
cookag

Re: Harassing "800 service" calls

I am having the same problem. Complaining to the FCC does no good. They are offshore and spoofing their caller ID number. Comcast, please stop them!

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

----

Sorry about the issues you are experiencing with 800 numbers. It's always best to answer these calls and wait for a live rep to pick up and tell them to remove you from their distribution list. Write down the name if the company amd keep a record. Register your number with the National Do not call registry.

The National Do Not Call Registry can limit the amount of telemarketing calls you receive. You can register by going to www.donotcall.gov, or by calling 1-888-382-1222. 

The National Do Not Call Registry is a service run by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) that will stop most telemarketing calls. Calls from political organizations, charities and surveys are still permitted, along with calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship.

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
jhendow

This is not an adequate response from Comcast. I have read numerous complaints from other customers relating this issue. I receive dozens of these calls each day from "800 service" numbers, and I pick up the line waiting for someone to take the call so I can ask them to remove me. I have *never* had a human voice on the other end of these calls, despite waiting for several minutes after answering. 

As a customer, I am asking if Comcast will enable call blocking for these obvious egregious offenders. I can block SPAM email; why can't I do this with my digital phone line? 

Please do not reply with "there is nothing we can do". There is actually rather a lot Comcast could do. Up to this point, very little has been DONE, but that doesn't mean you're unable. Enable me to blacklist incoming calls by keying them immediately after receiving the call, directly from my handset. Enable pattern-matching blacklisting. Make your own list of the regular offenders for phone SPAM and block them.

New Visitor
cookag

This does not work with them. I tried it and was on the phone with a call center in India. When I told them I would report them, they simply hung up. It is not like other unwanted calls. They call several times a day, with caller ID different numbers, and they do so with impunity. Please send this up the chain and tell someone to do something about it. I have been on the Do Not Call Registry for a while. I have complained about this. 

New Visitor
Unhappy_Camper_

Comcast just needs to add a feature to their Call Screening page that would allow you to "Screen calls from all Toll Free area codes" much the same as the "Screen ALL anonymous calls" selection.

Contributor
snowbank

The people who posted above have described the problem and Comcast has not provided any workable solution via the current call screening capabilities they allow their customers.  Call screening needs to support wild cards so blocks of numbers can easily be excluded like 866-xxx-xxxx or 712-459-xxxx.  We are signed up for the national do not call registry but still receive numerous unwanted calls.  Not only do unwanted callers continue to call after we request them to stop there is no end apparently to other new callers that I will have to make the same request to.  And it is a time-consuming pain in the neck to file a complaint with authorities.  I get robocalls threatening legal action for something only to find out that it is a lawyer trying to collect from a deadbeat that supplied my phone number.  I don't want to have to waste my time calling them to resolve their bad information when they will not even use a person to call me.  I don't care if the do not call laws allow political parties and charities to call me; I don't want to hear from them.  I think we could quickly get some action to help normal phone users if cell phone users suddenly got bombarded with the same junk that landline users experience.  The current call screening limitation is not a problem that Comcast could not solve with software if they really wanted to.   I have looked into hardware solutions however the only one that looked promising, Person-to_Person or Caller ID Manager has been oddly discontinued and unavailable and you need only search around on the web for reference to it to think there is a conspiracy afoot!     

New Visitor
kmsrock

I also need Comcast to come up with a way to block calls coming from "Out of Area 6596".   They keep calling in the middle of the night and when I pick up in a fright there is no one there.  This is very aggravating to say the least.  Comcast please find a way

Contributor
snowbank

I have been looking into the general problem of call blocking a bit more.  Comcast limits you to 12 explicit numbers with no wildcards.  Modern cordless phones can let you block 30-50 explicit (10 digit) numbers but I found none that would do wildcard blocking either.  I may have found a solution, although at a $100 price tag, the Digitone Call blocker www.digitone.com.  It appears to allow widcard (800xxxxxxx, 866xxxxxxx etc) blocking, out of area, no caller ID blocking and 80 blacklist and 60 whitelist numbers (which can also be widcarded).  I went ahead and ordered one and will report back how it works.  In the meantime, I am using all 12 numbers I can block explicitly with Comcast and requesting unwanted callers to take me off their calling list.  The Digitone does not seem to have the ability to block numbers based on the textual caller ID '800 Service' as the original poster requested, but if it is truly from an 800 number then a wildcard 800 area code block with the Digitone should do it.  And they have real people manning the phones at the company that seem techically familiar with the unit.  The company appears to be based in Reno, NV but I have no idea yet where the unit is actually made. 

Visitor
rvrader

I once called Comcast to ask why my call screening was not working for a particular number (an 800 number) and I was told that I did not have the capability to block 800, 866, etc. with my call screening option.  So basically call screening is a joke, because the most annoying phone calls I receive are from 800 services or charities that use 800 or 866.  Paying for unlisted numbers these days, no matter who your service provider is, is useless because telemarketers and telescammers use dialers and randomly dial numbers until someone picks up.  However, I do have the option of not answering once I see the phone number of the caller.  :smileyblush: 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,

Here is a summary of the call blocking features that Comcast offers and how they are designed to work:

Anonymous Call Rejection blocks all incoming calls from people who have deliberately blocked their caller ID, either using the Caller ID Block per Call feature (*67) or the Caller ID Block per Line feature.  Typically, their caller ID would show as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Private Caller.”  Those inbound callers will instead hear a message that the customer does not want to receive a call from any party that has blocked their caller ID.

Anonymous Call Rejection will not Block any call where the caller ID information is not reported or is incomplete.  For example, calls that either display “Unknown,” just the city and/or state, or just the telephone number are all permitted to ring through.

Call Screening:

If you who do not wish to be disturbed by certain people may use the Call Screening feature to block up to twelve telephone numbers.  Inbound callers from those numbers will hear a polite message indicating that they are not receiving calls at this time.

If you use all 12 slots to block calls for one company they will call from another business line they have. Which is what some of you are experiencing. I strongly suggest using the Do not call registry because companies are now liable when they call you after you have reregistered is run by the Federal Trade commission (FTC) The do not call registry does take 31 to 90 days or so for registry to take affect and the calls to stop. As we can not It is a great service and it does work and there are consequences for companies that violate this order. As a company we can not block calls for you, companies you have an existing business relationship with, charities or political organizations. I have submitted feedback suggestions to allow more than 12 numbers but for the time being it is set at 12 and the features are working as designed. I apologize for the inconvenience you are receiving with the 800 numbers continuing calling you.

As mentioned in my earlier post write down the name of the company and make sure you ask that they don't contact you anymore and remove your name of their distribution list for contact in the future. Keep a record in case they call you back again, sometimes these calls are  automated systems and it takes a while for the line to connect sometimes up to a full minute before a live rep will get n the line.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
paulkathyT

I get calls from 800 service everyday.  I am on the do not call list.  Most times there is no one there! Or sometime it is a computer that will not take any answers from me.  How do I stop them?

New Visitor
cookag

I've finally had some luck with a solution. I looked through my call history and wrote down the last 10 numbers that 800 Service used to call from (the spoofed Caller ID numbers) and then blocked all of them, which Comcast lets you do. I wish the FCC, or someone, would go after them, but until then, this is pretty effective.

Visitor
LaidBackBob

ComcastKeisha,

800 Services is a for profit company that is hired by charities to seek donationsThis is how they skirt the rule about who can call when you are on the do-not-call registry.  For their services they receive a hefty percentage of any monies pledged.

They are persistentOur phone allows us to block numbers from which we do not wish to receive callsCurrently we have more than ten of their numbers blockedYesterday, Christmas Eve, they attempted to contact us twice until we blocked the newest number.

What people are asking Comcast to do is enable us to block by the name as well as by the numberSince that information is already passed through (how else would it be displayed), it should be relatively simple

programming to add an additional filter optionThe filter should offer wildcard matching (eg., block all calls from '800 Se*').

It would also be in the best interests of Comcast and its customers if only direct representatives of charities were allowed to contact people on the do-not-call registryFor-profit and offshore companies should have to seek explicit permission to callPerhaps Comcast can use some of their legislative clout to get that enacted into law.

Contributor
paulkathyT

Charities are allowed by law to harass you.  When I told the American Heart Association rep to stop calling, he said they could call all they want because the "do not call law" does not apply to them.  I said the "do not donate law" does apply.  If they call again, I do not donate to them.  I also put a note in all my donations telling them about the "do not donate law". Most charities stopped calling when I told them that because there are plenty of good charities that will take my money and not call me at all. The American Heart Assocation continued to harass me and ignored my letter but, now that they realized I no longer donate to them, they seem to have stopped.  If everyone used the do not donate law, we could stop charities from calling us.

New Visitor
Danacast

The solution is easy. If Comcast cannot come up with a solution (which technically is very easy) then the customer should cancel their land line phone with Comcast and, sign up with Att or Verizon cell service and use this as their home phone. One can also order home phones that connect via wifi or Bluetooth so that you can have a stationary set of phones in your house that are linked to your cell phone. You can block numbers on your cell phone! Come on Comcast get with the program and start listening instead of making lame exucses. 

New Visitor
White_Wolf

Not being able to block 800 number types of calls is very annoying.

These can come from various types. 

These types of prefix's should have the ability to be blocked.

I'm not sure what other companies protocol is on this.

ATT, Verizon, Vonage etc.

But there should be a way. Maybe some of the new voip services have

this ability programmed into their equipment.

New Visitor
Chuck_S9

I have received at least ten of these "800 service" calls today.  I have two Comcast phone numbers, both of which are listed on the "do not call" registry.  I find it difficult to believe that Comcast reps seem confused by the question which was stated clearly at the top of these posts, so I must assume that they have no intention of addressing the issue.  I agree with the writer who said that blocking these "800 service" calls would be easy to do.  It is unfortunate that we get these "blowoff" responses from the company we entrust with our phone service. 

As much as enjoy good quality from my Comcast lines, I am going to try another carrier for my phone service.  I wish those of you who remain with them the best of luck with this issue, especially those who work a night shift, and try to sleep during the day.

Contributor

Comcast does offer a way to stop any phone number from calling Look under your voicemail  under call screening.

Visitor
LaidBackBob

The point I was trying to make is that Comcast should allow us to block by name (or even a portion of the name) instead of by number.  800 Services has dozens of numbers (I have at least 15 of them blocked on my handset now).  Every time I block one, they call from a different number.  Comcast could relatively easily offer a block-by-name option, which they will do if the demand becomes great enough.

Contributor

Your right, also a baseball bat will get them to stop :smileyhappy:  The collection guys call me looking for someone else. If I lived near their office I would pay them a visit in person, well em and some guys.

Also a Bob here

New Visitor
Shady-Pines

Every person here is spot-on regarding this ridiculous situation.

We PAY for our phone service. Others do not have the right to call us! It is a privilege!

We have the right to choose who calls us.

Comcast's Digital Voice pdf instructions says:

"BLOCK CALLS

All Comcast phone lines come with 900/976/700/500 Call Blocking activated so that calls to these numbers are automatically blocked. Call Blocking to these numbers cannot be removed. There is no charge for this service."

If Comcast can block calls to 900/976/700 and 500 numbers, why the heck can't they block from whomever we choose? We should also be able to block by name, as well as number! At the very least, increase the amount of phone numbers we can screen.

The National Do Not Call Registry is a good idea, but has no way of enforcing its regulations. It's short on funds, people and time. 

Speaking of funds, maybe it's going to take a large amount of customers moving to different phone companies to make Comcast sit up and pay attention. They need to make some changes tout de suite!

To the admin reading this, please. I know you personally can't do anything right now, but you can send this missive along to the right people. Computer programmers are remarkably capable and intelligent. Let them do their jobs.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Contributor

Hi Spoiler,

You can block 12 numbers of your own choice on a Comcast phone line. I had a bill collector calling me 2-3 times a day looking for a guy I know, He gave a loan company my number, he didn't pay, they couldn't get him so they picked on me.

I put their number in and it stoped that minute. I helped one other guy.

Mail me at camaro46368@yahoo.com and I'll guide you thru it.

Comcast doesn't really put this out, I found it by accident.

Bob

New Visitor
catalin_rabbit

Same problem here, sometimes 10+ times a day, from different numbers with the "800 Service" caller ID. If Comcast doesn't do anything to make it *easier* to block these scumbags, I'll be switching to a different provider.

Contributor

Regular Contributor

Robertt3,

We all know HOW to block numbers on our Digital Voice accounts. What we are all pleading with Comcast to do is allow us to block MORE numbers. The ability to block only 12 numbers is no where near enough. 

Contributor

Everyone doesn't know how to block numbers or the question wouldn't be posted. If 12 numbers is enough for you, I suggest you get a new number and don't give it out.

Visitor

hmmmm...looks like you can also have "selective forward call" - wonder if we should all forward the various numbers from 800 Service to some of the Comcast executives home phones :smileyhappy: - or at least 800-comcast

Contributor

Why would you want to forward 800 numbers to Comcast?  Now forward to other pest 800 numbers I can see.

New Visitor
Badavia

Press *80 follow directions

New Visitor
mlgibbs38

May Comcast would block the numbers for us. I am reporting the recent "800 service" calls that I have gotten below. 800 service calls more frequently but apparently my phone doesn't register the caller ID if I don't pick it up.

877-846-6879 on 2/2

800-200-1052 on 1/31

866-769-7518 on 1/20

855-784-0301 on 12/28

800-335-7194 on 12/16

855-748-6437 on 12/8

800-874-8816 on 11/22

877-298-8855 on 11/14

I am on the do not call registery and I have requested that 800 service doesn't call any longer. Still getting calls though. If everyone would start reporting the calls and frequency via this chat thread maybe comcast would be more willing to handle it for us. Seems like less work than moving your service.

Contributor
snowbank

Following on the idea of mlgibbs38 here are numbers in the 800 range I have received recently, the caller ID and date:

800-672-3012 Public Interest 1/26/2012
800-728-3902 Kay D 12/10/2011 charity solicitation
813-878-8069 Tampa FL 1/27/2012
866-229-1369 800 service
866-263-1169 800 service
866-264-5059 800 service
866-959-2267 charity pickup 1/2/2012
877-213-1826 Private Caller 1/25/2012
877-237-3945 800 service 1/31/2012 x3
877-674-4280 800 service 1/29/2012 x2 1/5/2012 CARE
877-696-8597 800 service 1/30/2012
877-696-8597 no caller ID 1/30/2012
877-849-2372 800 service 1/4/2012 2x immediate hangup when I answered
888-243-2981 800 service 1/2/2012

Unfortunately telemarketers and scammers will probably find a way around an 8** block by using more legitimate seeming area codes.  The infamous 'Rachel from Cardholder Services' has called from 281 and 'Heather from Account Services' has called from 971...  

New Visitor
IsleHighlander

I was hoping there would be a solution given on this page to the issue of blocking 800 calls, but after reading this it looks like there isn't. It is really bad where we live -the calls are constant -however my wife, my daughter, and I all have cell phones and never get these calls (we also are very "stingy" about who we give are cell numbers to). We have Comcast's phone service as part of a package deal. I know it might increase our Internet and t.v. cost slightly if we drop the phone service, but it really isn't a necessity to keep the Comcast phone service for communication purposes. If Comcast can't find a way to prevent the constant bombardment, it may be the "push over the edge" that causes us to drop the Comcast phone service - really, why should I pay more than $40 a month to be harassed by telemarketers. I know it's a good deal to be able to call anywhere in the U.S. for no additional charge, but most everybody we talk to or deal with phone wise has Verizon (the same as we do) and there is no additional charge for Verizon to Verizon caller (By the way, this is NOT a sales pitch for the Verizon -most other cellular companies have the same deal. I only mention Verizon because that is the cell provider we have.). I want to stress that we are not unhappy with the service Comcast does provide, we are just unhappy with what they don't or can't provide: a way to stop the constant barrage of 800 calls. We have been longstanding customers with Comcast and we want to give them a chance to find a way to deal with the issue, but again, we are getting near the point we are seriously considering dropping the phone service and picking it back up only after we find out the problem has been dealt with and resolved.
Regular Contributor

Since February 1st I've received 4 calls from "Out of Area Unk-nown". I have anonymous call rejection set. Why should someone called Unk-nown be able to get through my block? If that's not anonymous, I don't k-now what is. 

Personally, I think we're all fighting a losing battle. These con artist/scammers/telemarketrs/debt collectors are finding new ways to reach us every day. They're outsmarting the cable/phone companies. 

Visitor
-PZ-

I have received 59 calls in 60 days from an (866) number that I have on my list of numbers to reject.  If it let me put the number on the list, then why isn't it being blocked?  And, if we cannot reject 800 or 866 numbers, then why aren't we told this up front, instead of having to find it here?  Also, the service doesn't always work, and lets other calls through that should be blocked.  Ridiculous, and frustrating when they are waking me up in the early a.m.:smileysad:

Visitor
-PZ-

Thank you for listening.... :smileywink:

Visitor
-PZ-

Amen, and I totally agree.  Now that I know that cell phones have 911 locator, there is really no need for a land line.  I have used the landline phone maybe twice in 2 years, and only to call Comcast.  It is a huge price and headache to pay for 911 security, or a bundle deal.  You basically said in your post what we are probably all thinking.  Thank you, and good luck!:smileyhappy: (I hope they care enough to change!)

New Visitor
RCTRTP

You say to talk to a real person and ask not to cal that dose"nt work.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg
New Visitor
jjbiggie

Good luck with another phone company cause I had Verizon for 30 years and got the same exact calls. No point in switching

Contributor

Just use the call forwarding feature on your phone or use the Comcast website and forward these calls to the Do Not Call national number.  They'll take your number off their telemarketing list right away...

Visitor
LaidBackBob

800 Services is able to skirt the "Do Not Call" restrictions because they are paid representatives of charities.  While some of the suggestions and responses are helpful, they all entail extra effort on the Comcast customer's part. 

My original post asked Comcast to allow us to block calls by the name of the originator (or by part of the name, e.g., '800 Ser*').  That would use only one of the 12 blocks Comcast allots us and would enhance the ability to block calls from unwanted sources.  800 Services has dozens of different numbers so they can defeat the feature Comcast has provided. 

No Comcast representative has ever responded on this forum to my suggestion or to the complaints of my fellow customers.

Contributor
inetd

Real answer is: Some of Comcast's biggest customers use Comcast 800 services for outbound calling/harassing.  And most of those "customers" certainly don't give a hoot about little things like registries, or legalities etc. In turn, these customers don't want their telco provider (Comcast) blocking their own calls - harassing or not.  So it's all about the $$.

You will not get any answers from customer support, they have no idea why the management won't allow 800 blocking.  They are told what to say on a pop-up response screen, usually things like "use the registry", and "12 numbers is enough for anybody", and "why would anyone want to block an area code" and "we understand your concerns" and all that.  They will try to help bless their little hearts, but alas, they can't.

This blatant issue and joins a LONG list of bugs with the Call Manager app, with an obviously very low priority.  Otherwise, Comcast voice is a pretty decent service - you just can't beat the voice quality.  You can look around, but you're wasting your time.  It's simply one of the best.  Right up until you dig into customer respect.

Bottom line:  Comcast isn't going to allow more than 12 #'s blocked, and they sure as heck aren't going to allow you to block entire area codes.  To do so would severely cut their business.  Technically, they have ample equipment and software to easily do it.  This equipment could easily allow 1000's of blocked #'s for each of us with little effort.

Remember, the execs paid themselves $mils in bonuses last month, and are proud of what they provide to you. So live with it.  It's Comcast.  

Regular Contributor

snowbank wrote:

I have been looking into the general problem of call blocking a bit more.  Comcast limits you to 12 explicit numbers with no wildcards.  Modern cordless phones can let you block 30-50 explicit (10 digit) numbers but I found none that would do wildcard blocking either.  I may have found a solution, although at a $100 price tag, the Digitone Call blocker www.digitone.com.  It appears to allow widcard (800xxxxxxx, 866xxxxxxx etc) blocking, out of area, no caller ID blocking and 80 blacklist and 60 whitelist numbers (which can also be widcarded).  I went ahead and ordered one and will report back how it works.  In the meantime, I am using all 12 numbers I can block explicitly with Comcast and requesting unwanted callers to take me off their calling list.  The Digitone does not seem to have the ability to block numbers based on the textual caller ID '800 Service' as the original poster requested, but if it is truly from an 800 number then a wildcard 800 area code block with the Digitone should do it.  And they have real people manning the phones at the company that seem techically familiar with the unit.  The company appears to be based in Reno, NV but I have no idea yet where the unit is actually made. 

Snowbank, How did you make out with the Digitone Call Blocker? While seemingly pricey at $100, if it works well, it would be money well spent. Thanks!
New Visitor
Kristina20109

I have recently been getting these "800 service" calls about lowering my finance rate on my credit cards, to which the only credit cards we have are through our savings and checking accounts. The phone call starts out with a recorded message, stating to "press 1 to take advantage of this offer" I do..then I get a live person, I have told them twice to stop calling me..they hang up. I got another one today and asked to speak to a supervisor, they hung up.  I just enabled my Comcast Call Screening service in hopes this will take care of it. I am ready to pull my hair out. :catmad:

Contributor

It's going to work, look at your calls and let us know.  It works for me.

Bobby

New Visitor
Comsuks

This is a complete non-solution from Comcast.  (1) "I strongly suggest using the Do not call registry" -- I've been on the DNC registry since the day I got this comcast number.  As have most of the people who comment on this thread.  And yes, I report the companies that call anyway, but as they have spoofed caller IDs it doesn't do much good.  (2) "As a company we can not block calls for you, companies you have an existing business relationship with, charities or political organizations."  Fine, these aren't an issue.  Have you been READING this thread that you're supposedly resolving?  (3) " I have submitted feedback suggestions to allow more than 12 numbers but for the time being it is set at 12 and the features are working as designed."  Gee, thanks, Comcast.  As a software engineer I know that that involves changing ONE number -- a global variable -- in your programming.  Big whoop, 2 seconds to change it, maybe an hour to stress test.  Your programmers must be really, really busy -- but doing what?   (4) "make sure you ask that they don't contact you anymore and remove your name of their distribution list for contact in the future." -- yeah, right.  As soon as you ask them not to call they HANG UP.  And keep on calling.

So let's get back to the basic question we all want answered, and leave the non-answers be, as they've all been trotted out over and over.  Ready for the question?  HOW CAN WE BLOCK ALL "800 SERVICE" CALLS?  Now there's something your programmers could legitimately spend a whole half-hour on.