New Visitor
natalie1450

BBC America/OnDemand

I noticed last night that BBC America is no longer listed on the OnDemand channels.  It was there earlier that afternoon.  What's up? 

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: BBC America/OnDemand

No idea.   Not listed here in Seattle, either.

New Visitor
natalie1450

I watched Law & Order UK last week on OnDemand and when I went to watch the new episode this week and it wasn't listed.  Then the next day the entire BBC America was gone.  No notice, no nothing!

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

[ Edited ]

They're advertising On Demand here, but my area isn't included in the ad.  It used to be available, though.  You might try contacting BBC America.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Also gone here in the Chicago area. I did notice a few days ago that some of the menus were slightly rearranged.

Contributor
ladilight

BBC America On Demand Missing?

Hi there,

Hope someone can help.  Does anybody know why BBC America suddenly is no longer available On Demand?  No problems with the channel itself, but the On Demand section is completely gone.  I'm hoping this is just a temporary glitch of some kind.

Thanks in advance

Debbie

Contributor
mikezuco

Re: BBC America On Demand Missing?

I don't know but I hope it get's put back on, it was one of the only things I watched OnDemand.

Contributor
mikezuco

B B C A M E R I C A ON DEMAND...WHERE IS IT?

Where is BBC AMERICA at on the ON DEMAND menu choices. Why did they take it away.  It was one of the only things I watched On Demand.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: B B C A M E R I C A ON DEMAND...WHERE IS IT?

I don't know what BBC America is up to.  It disappeared from On Demand here in Seattle, too.  They advertise it as though it was something new, with available markets listed.  See this

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

I don't know if all those locations listed under Time Warner are now part of Comcast but the Minneapolis MN market is. Wonder why BBCAmerica doesn't have updated market providers.

Contributor
ladilight

Thanks for the link.  My location is listed so I'm still puzzled as to why it is no longer available.   It is still on Verizon's FIOS on Demand, it's just missing from Comcast's service.  Hmmmm...

Email Expert

We still have it in the Boston area. But this weekend's new episode of Being Human isn't available yet. Seasons 1 and 2 are there in their entirety, all listed as "New".

Contributor
trwsj

Has anyone gotten a response from Comcast Customer Service?

I tried calling but no one seems aware of the problem.

Contributor
ladilight

No response here.  I even tried calling and the customer service reps have no clue what I'm talking about. It would be nice to find out what the issue is.  Come on Comcast, you can tell us!

New Visitor
DrDalek

I noticed it was gone too.  I did a search in the OnDemand menu and found an episode of Top Gear OnDemand, but it cannot be found in the regular menu!  It's bad enough that Comcast doesn't offer BBCA in HD, and now they take away OnDemand too?!  This is ridiculous, I'm this close to canceling altogether and switching to satellite.

New Visitor
DrDalek

[ Edited ]

Scripted answer from Comcast Chat:

Charish(Tue Feb 22 2011 09:53:04 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>

Thank you for waiting. I understand you are not able to find the ON DEMAND programming you were accustomed to seeing. There have recently been changes made to the ON DEMAND content. 

Charish(Tue Feb 22 2011 09:53:07 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>

Comcast, and the channels that participate in making ON DEMAND the extensive content library that it is, are committed to providing the most current and appealing ON DEMAND content to our customers. As hundreds of new hours of ON DEMAND content have been added -- and continually updated -- the content is routinely evaluated to measure its appeal to a wide variety of customers. 

Charish(Tue Feb 22 2011 09:53:20 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>

If it is observed that the viewing for certain content on a network is low, the total hours of programming for that network may be reduced, or the network may be removed. As some content is removed, even more content is added and, as a result, the total programming hours available to customers are increased. 

Charish(Tue Feb 22 2011 09:53:33 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time))>

Comcast and the networks will continue to update the content available through ON DEMAND with the most exciting and popular programming that will appeal to a wide variety of our customers. In the next few months, content will be added, as well as removed in an effort to make ON DEMAND more robust for all of our customers.
Contributor
ladilight

Re: BBC America/OnDemand----An Answer!

[ Edited ]

I contacted BBC America directly through their facebook page and received a response from BBCA:

"Hi Debbie. The full explanation is below, but the main point is that Comcast is working on upgrading their On Demand experience.

Comcast is temporarily suspending VoD access through its set top box in order to transfer to higher capacity se...rvers on the Xfinity platform. The disruption should last no longer than a few days and subscribers can still access VoD services on-line during this time at http://www.fancast.com/tv- networks.

Once the transfer is complete, subscribers will have over two hundred hours of their favorite BBC AMERICA programs on VoD."

I just verified that I can see BBCA online.   I'm very happy to know we're not losing BBCA on Demand.  I know a lot of people are not happy about this, so please pass it on!

Debbie

New Visitor
bricin1

Re: BBC America/OnDemand----An Answer!

Thanks for the update ladilight.  I was getting nervious about missing my BBC shows and I didn't what to have to go through the process of switching providers.  Love My BBC :-)

New Visitor
g174

I Found this posted on the internet re: BBC america and other channels

http://www.timewarnercable.com/KansasCity/support/policies/channelchange.html

Silver Problem Solver
commanguy

Cool article. Somewhat funny since they claim they may lose carriage rights to truTV, which is part of Turner Broadcasting, which is a subsidary of TimeWarner.

Left hand not know what right hand is doing? Three of those networks are Comcast owned and Starz/Encore one family. Wonderful, maybe I am glad now that I am no longer with Time Warner:smileydevil:

Contributor
l13elt

Sheila(Mon Feb 28 15:16:20 CST 2011)>

We are still trying to negotiate with BBC to continue providing their content and programming to our On Demand. It will be up to BBC to renew our agreement with them.

Sheila(Mon Feb 28 15:17:24 CST 2011)>

Once the agreement has been signed, we shall bring back BBC On Demand.
Regular Visitor

Please bring back Law & Order UK on OnDemand. It's one of my favorite shows and I miss it. Also, NatGeo, Locked Up Abroad. I tried to get the station but was told I couldn't add it because I'm locked into my package and it's not included. I liked to watch it on OnDemand. Also, so many shows have been dropped. The shows that have been added are not as good. Miss The Glades and Rizzoli and Isles, too! Any chance Law & Order and Law & Order CI can be added to OnDemand? Don't like SVU, wish it were canceled.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

jamahoney, I am asking the forum admin  to find out if you can upgrade your service. It doesn't sound right that you were told you couldn't because you are locked into the package you have now.

You could call Comcast again and talk to someone else who may be able to make the changes.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Email Expert

jamahoney wrote:

Please bring back Law & Order UK on OnDemand. It's one of my favorite shows and I miss it. Also, NatGeo, Locked Up Abroad. I tried to get the station but was told I couldn't add it because I'm locked into my package and it's not included. I liked to watch it on OnDemand. Also, so many shows have been dropped. The shows that have been added are not as good. Miss The Glades and Rizzoli and Isles, too! Any chance Law & Order and Law & Order CI can be added to OnDemand? Don't like SVU, wish it were canceled.

None of those shows you mentioned except for L&O:UK have anything to do with BBC America.

In general, the networks decide which shows to make available on demand, when they'll make them available after the regular broadcast (FX tends to wait a week), and for how long after. These decisions involve negotiations of the rights from the production company. Comcast and In Demand are not involved in this process at all, as far as I know.

These negotiations can be pretty tricky, sometimes. I think Cold Case was never available on demand or online because of all the classic music included in the shows. The rights that the production company negotiated from the music industry only included regular TV broadcasts and DVD sales; they would have had to make new contracts, and pay more royalties (which were already much more expensive than for most other TV shows), for on demand/online streaming.

Contributor
l13elt

Im really thinking about dumping comcast as my cable provider unless they sort this out soon! 

BBC America on demand is one of the only reason i signed up for their overpriced cable!

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Comcast wants to provide our customers the best On Demand experience, with the most popular titles and programming available to customers in all markets.  In some markets lesser viewed content such as BBC, has been temporarily removed to make space for more popular On Demand content, such as 3D programming.  We are working to transition to new, larger capacity servers for our On Demand platform.  Doing this will allow us to continue offering all titles, including BBC.  This transition will happen market by market – with some markets already completed.  We anticipate being complete by the 4th quarter of this year.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Contributor
l13elt

3d TV? Your joking right?
Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

jamahoney wrote:

We will look into this for you and circle back on Monday.

Just 'Dete'
New Visitor
LadyManx

I too, really enjoyed having BBC America on demand. I get tired and quite frankly, don't want to spend more time in front of my computer. (Even scyfy seems to have vanished, where I could watch older episodes of Primeval) Just another reason I feel stuck with a lot of "bread and circuses" tv and not enough choices of what I would like to see. BBC America is the only reason to get the expensive package. I could really do without a lot of the other programming and am considering even going down one level with the cable. The benefits of one channel doesn't really justify the cost. I love BBC America but everything comes to the library eventually. I do wish tho, Comcast would stop the truly annoying disappearing act on cable channels and On Demand. Makes the phrase "On Demand" an oxymoron.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

CC_Dete wrote:

In some markets lesser viewed content such as BBC, has been temporarily removed to make space for more popular On Demand content, such as 3D programming. 

HOW does Comcast determine WHICH content is "lesser viewed"?

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Unlike regular viewing, Comcast can easily and legally keep track of what you select and watch through OnDemand. Remember, you are accessing a server full of files. They know who accesses what.

New Visitor
BBCA_fan

I just want to cast my vote to bring back BBCA on demand.  L&O UK is great, Being Human and of course Doctor Who.  I'm writing from Chicago, so I guess I want to cast more than one vote...bring it back, Comcast!

Regular Contributor

I was thrilled to see the entertaining "Any Dream Will Do" 2007 TV series on Comcast's BBC America/On-Demand (Massachusetts area).  However....there are 10 episodes leading up to the winner of the contest, so imagine my surprise when I went to watch the last show to see the winner, and it's not there!  Comcast didn't include the final episode to show who won!  Why would they do that?  Luckily, YouTube has the entire program.

Regular Contributor

I'm convinced that Comcast wants to tease customers with OD TV content, but really wants us to rent the DVR.

BTW - the "script" from the chat in one of the earlier posts is exactly what I got in an email.  No thought put into it - they just cut/paste.  I also got useless drivel telling me how important i was to them as a customer and that they "understand" (do they really?) how I feel.  I don't need a shrink, I need some better OD content and replies that look like they were written by a human, not by a computer.

Here's a snippet:

I understand that you are unable to view the TV shows Parenthood and Harry's Law on On Demand. I know you should be enjoying your favorite shows at this time. I can appreciate why this On Demand issue is of great concern to you. I am glad to assist you with this matter. Rest assured that I will provide you with the information regarding your On Demand shows concern.

I understand that you are unable to view the TV shows Parenthood and Harry's Law on On Demand. I know you should be enjoying your favorite shows at this time. I can appreciate why this On Demand issue is of great concern to you. I am glad to assist you with this matter. Rest assured that I will provide you with the information regarding your On Demand shows concern.

Regular Visitor

Time to drop Comcast, again! In Burlington, VT I think Comcast  became competitive when they had competition from a local city owned cable company. Now that people have picked up Comcast and are dropping the other cable company(looks like it will go under because of mismanagement by city employees), Comcast has gone back to their old ways of bait and switch. Comcast is dropping the services that brought people back. On Demand has dropped so many of the shows that made it good. They used to carry almost a season's worth of episodes, now you're lucky if there are 2-3 shows listed. Law & Order UK is gone. Locked up Abroad, is gone. Most of the good shows are gone. Lots of reality shows are listed- so tired of these mindless, boring shows. My contract is over soon. I'll be buying HulaPlus, or something similar, for the tv shows. And Netflix for movies. It'll be a lot cheaper and I won't have to "wait and see" and hope  Comast brings back the shows(Comast dropped) that made us customers in the 1st place.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Queen-Evie wrote:

CC_Dete wrote:

In some markets lesser viewed content such as BBC, has been temporarily removed to make space for more popular On Demand content, such as 3D programming. 

HOW does Comcast determine WHICH content is "lesser viewed"?

VOD content requests are logged by the server. This is how you are billed for vod movies and ppv orders where appropriate.

Just 'Dete'
New Visitor
LadyManx

So do we get discounts because we are not getting the channels that were part of our agreement? I don't need hundreds of on demand channels that I skim through hoping to find something to watch and end up wishing I could just get more choice in the channels that I get. Not to mention paying extra for Stars which is pretty useless.  I watched scyfy and bbc on demand pretty much as my first choices, so if they are coming back why can't we get credit for the time we've had to do without? I bet if ESPN was missing, those folks would get credit. After all, you are the ones proming you'll make us happy or our money back!

New Visitor
locadj

Dear Comcast,

I'm not normally one to speak out but I also am very upset about the abrupt and unannounced removal of BBCA OnDemand. What upsets me the most is that it disappears soon after the start of Being Human and Primeval and it just feels like one more slap in the face from you. I have been watching since the premiere of season one of both shows and I was looking forward to comparing BH to the American version. Obviously Americans like BBC programming or we wouldn't keep ripping off their shows. It's bad enough we have to wait so long for those shows to make it to BBCA in the first place and now you just take it all together?

I refuse to pay more for a DVR when I feel that I am already being taken for a ride for the supposed service I already pay for. I don't even have phone service and my bill is about $160 a month (not including paid VoD and fights that also sometimes don't work or freeze up/cut off)!? For internet and cable with two on demand boxes? Internet that cuts out on me constantly, upper channels and on demand shows that always seem to have error messages lately and the now disappearing on demand content that I look FORWARD to every week because I have kids and cant always be in front of the television and attentive at the hours these shows are on?

If this is truly a BBCA issue then I apologize to comcast for complaining about it but my other complaints still remain and are valid. Truth of the matter is, I dont own a 3-D TV, or even an HDTV and between the price of cable, gas and well...everything else right now I doubt I'll EVER be able to 'afford' one so I could care less about the bells and whistles you guys are working on, I just want service that gives me what it says it will and more importantly works consistantly!

I gave up hope of things ever being right with comcast years ago and unfortunatly I live in an area where it's my only choice so I'm feeling kind of stuck. I gave up on calling too...same time I gave up paying my bill on time. I never did understand why I must pay IN ADVANCE for service that barely works and has no gaurantees.

I remember a time when you could call and talk to a human and pay your bill. FOR FREE! Now you want $4.95 for it! When that started I could at LEAST call the automated thing and pay for free and now I'm expected to pay for THAT too?! Oh but I can go online and pay for free? Thanks for the options! God FORBID I actually go to my local office and pay with my debit card....you'll put a hold on my account not once, but TWICE (the second time after payment already went through) shorting my bank account and almost bouncing my rent check. 

Exactly what market are you catering to comcast? Because I get the feeling that I am not in it. Maybe if your so called 'service' was better I would be so inclined to press that 'pay total bill' button when I make my payments each month because it's not that I can't, it's that after 8 years of putting up with the BS and getting nowhere I've made the conscious decision not to. Why should I uphold my end of the bargain if you can't deliver the product promised? Oh that's right, because you recently started tacking on an $8 late fee! Thanks for that but I'll gladly pay it in the name of rebellion!

You obviously get your money or you'd have shut me off by now and trust me when I tell you I know from experience how quick you are to shut people off for non-payment. I have quite a few friends and relatives with no cable as we speak. Yet I continue to pay you for the simple fact that without you my young family would be quite bored at night and in winter. 

And as for all your super programming....do you know how many times I have had the remote in my hands and said to myself....$160 a month and nothings on?! At least nothing I want to watch because you seem to keep taking it all away and replacing it with stuff I can't even USE!!! UGH!

Honestly, it's crossed my mind many times, the last few months especially, to just get rid of comcast service all together and this may just be the straw that breaks this camels back. I have given your company a LOT of money in my lifetime comcast...I have been good to you....the least you could do is give me back my BBCA VoD!!!

New Visitor
Wezza

ARE YOU KIDDING ME, RIGHT? Comcast! How is it possible that 3D programming is more popular than BBCA on demand? How many of us really watch 3D shows at home or have a TV that supports 3D? Bring BBCA back ASAP!!!!

Hey, everyone.... we should all start a Facebook page and boycott expensive Comcast if they don't bring BBCA back for that rediculous reason.

Dr. Who, Being Human, Law & Order UK and Top Gear are all wonderful shows that better than any 3D shows.

New Visitor
tiggersmom05

If my network keeps BBC on demand off for some stupid 3D nonesense, that will pretty much be it for me! The only reason I still stay with comcast is for the on demand....and 90% of the on demand I watch is BBC. It's rediculous that we keep having to pay for these so called expensive upgrades to give us MORE programing....but MY programming is becoming less and less!

New Visitor
dmatelan

While I appreciate the info, I personally find it hard to believe that BBCA is less popular or less frequently viewed than TVone , tv guide nework and the ever popular screensavers! Judging by the number of responses to the deletion, perhaps one of those other "stations" should be removed instead. And I really think that 3d isn't anywhere near as requested, or available, as BBCA.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Remember, one issue is deals with various media companies. Some may offer content for free or even PAY Comcast to make it available on OnDemand. Also, some channels are part of NBC/Universal/Comcast, and will probably be included no matter what.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

C'mon now Comcast ... RESTORE BBC America to your On-Demand programming, particularly Law&Order:UK.

Based upon the number of comments on this forum requesting the return of BBCA to On-Demand, this should be telling you something.  Remember that only a small number of people take the time to voice their complaints.

trwsj

From Comcast Investor Relations web site.

"With 24.2 million video subscribers, Comcast is the nation's leading provider of cable television."

"Comcast Cable is our largest business — it generated approximately $34 billion or 95% of our consolidated revenue in 2008"

One would think that a company with this size and financial clout would be able to advocate with networks on behalf of their customers and add OnDemand programs that the customer request

Contributor
SLRT

[ Edited ]

I am more interested in ABC and Fox programing, neither are on OnDemand at all

Email Expert

SLRT wrote:

I am more interested in ABC and Fox programing, neither are on OnDemand at all

I believe that's ABC's and Fox's choice, not Comcast's.

Email Expert

LadyManx wrote:

So do we get discounts because we are not getting the channels that were part of our agreement?

Since when are specific On Demand channels listed in your agreement? I think it just refers to On Demand as a whole, not specific channels.

Contributor
trwsj

Any new information on if or when BBC America will return to OnDemand???????

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

I noticed on the Comcast blog, they mention BBC America and "Doctor Who" being available for streaming on devices...

http://blog.comcast.com/2011/04/xfinity-tv-app-delivers-more-streaming-video-on-the-ipad.html

Contributor
l13elt

I noticed that bbc america has now returned to demand.  If you go to the tv series tab you can find shows Top Gear, Primevil, and James May road trip.

So if you can watch these ondemand again why can their not be a bbc america button again.

Please, please, please Comcast stop giving your customers the run around and giving BS answers to our questions.

Now all we need is Law and order UK back on demand, i know their is no point in asking u guys at comcast as you really don't have a clue!