Contributor
Accepted Solution

Downton Abbey Season 3

I thought I saw Season 3 available yesterday and now it is gone from On Demand.  I started watching Season 1 about 3 weeks ago and now am almost done with Season 2.  When I started, I checked the availablilty of Season 3 and it said good until November 2013.  What has happened to Season 3?  When will it be available to watch again?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Downton Abbey Season 3

the networks detmermine what goes on demand and when.  You cannot use on demand like a dvr  it is not meant to function that way. If you want every episode of every series you have to buy the dvr or get a dvr,.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

rog286713 wrote:

the networks detmermine what goes on demand and when.  You cannot use on demand like a dvr  it is not meant to function that way. If you want every episode of every series you have to buy the dvr or get a dvr,.

While that is definitely true, if there's a season (or even just an episode) of something that is available On Demand, and it says that it's available until a particular date, then why wouldn't you expect it to be there until that date?  What would that date be useful for, and displayed for, if it's not actually used or doesn't mean anything?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you did not post in your first post that you saw a show and that is was available for a certain time for a certain date and now its gone.  if that is the case then comcast has to take care of that.    If you post something please post exactly what you mean when you post it, as you can see if you would have posted that in your first post the response would have been totally different

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

rog286713 wrote:

you did not post in your first post that you saw a show and that is was available for a certain time for a certain date and now its gone.  if that is the case then comcast has to take care of that.    If you post something please post exactly what you mean when you post it, as you can see if you would have posted that in your first post the response would have been totally different

Seems like the original poster mentioned this in the opening post: "When I started, I checked the availablilty of Season 3 and it said good until November 2013."

New Visitor
tcolao3762

I agree with Lori. 

I had been very happy w/ the options that Comcast/Xfinity offered for viewing programs that previously aired.

We began watching Downton Abbey and purchased Streampix in order to complete Season 2.  We went to watch Episode 2 of Season 3 and it had been removed?  I noted that Season 3 was supposed to be available until November 2013!  Do not pass the buck about the network controls what is shown when, you enter contracts w/ networks and then you advertise what you will be showing, you failed to live up to what you advertised!

We cancelled Streampix as a result.  Please correct this issue.

Thank you,

Tony

New Visitor
tcolao3762

Weak response, don't pass the buck.  You enter a contract w/ the networks and advertise when shows will be available.  The service indicated that it would be available and you should make good on what you advertised.

Contributor

I thought maybe I had remembered wrong.  Thanks for commenting.  I was really looking forward to season 3. 

New Visitor
tcolao3762

By the way this is copied from your website: "PBS does not make the current season of Downton Abbey available online, however it is available On Demand on your television day after air. Past seasons available with a Streampix subscription"  You are clearly indicating that is available On Demand, please fix.

Thank you.

Visitor

This is utter nonsense. Season 3 should he available. It had been available. And now, all of a sudden, it is not. Horrible.
New Visitor
djsn1

Thank you for reporting this Comcast oversight. My wife and I were hooked on Season 1 & 2 and were looking forward to Season 3 this week, but alas Season 3 was removed from the available shows. I too noticed the "November 2013 good 'til date". Comcast & PBS should correct this issue immediately.

New Visitor
tsimon

This is perplexing and infuriating.

Perplexing - Up until last night, Season 3 was available via Xfinity OnDemand; today it is gone. And wouldn't you know that we just finished the final episode of Season 2 last night!

Infuriating - Comcast is not supplying any answers for this sudden change. Not online, not on the phone (I tried). This is particularly irksome due to the fact the season was advertised as available until November 2013, as others in this thread have pointed out. 

We customers pay good money for quality programming and quality service.  Comcast, you have removed both in one fell, unexplained, inexplicable swoop. Extremely irritating to see you revert to your past practice of poor service bordering on disregard for customers.

Bah!

Visitor

Comcast and Lori6,
Very frustrating that season 3 of Downton is suddenly unavailable. Got our work done, child to bed, sat down to watch and whamo - no Downton! We pay for cable, HD, and Streampix yet are unable view.
Comcast, please correct problem and credit our account.
Official Employee
ComcastEric

Sorry that Season 3 is not available but we did not have rights to have available past 4/3.  The rules and restrictions for content availability are determined by the network.

Eric

New Visitor
senior3byuti

I too am so very disappointed that season 3 was taken off.  I had watched it and went back to enjoy watching it again and it was gone.  If I have to buy the DVD where do I buy it?  I too noticed it said availiabiity was thru november 2013.  Is it gone so customers will watch Mr. Selfridge.  There is no comparison.  Pls help us get Season 3 back On Demand

New Visitor
tsimon

@ComcastEric - Thank you for attempting to address this issue. In the process, it raises another issue.

If Comcast did not have the season 3 rights beyond April 3, then why was it promoted as available until November 2013? It's one thing to have a time limit on rights access; that's business. It's another thing to mislead customers via your promotional communications; that's BAD business.

New Visitor
hdg911

My wife and I were also enjoying Downton Abbey when season 3 disappeared without any warning! Very typical for Comcast services and pricing. 

Contributor

If you could not air it past April 3, then why did it say available until November?

Visitor

An excellent question.....
Official Employee
ComcastEric

We apologize if season 3 was listed as being available until November 2013.  If that is how it was labeled, then that was a mistake.  Unfortunately we no longer have the rights to season 3.  It doesn't seem like anyone else, like Hulu, has them either.  We also don't know if we'll be getting season 3 back at any point.   

Again, sorry for the mistake.

Eric

New Visitor
Dbolt007

@ Eric. That is a poor excuse and I find your answers to have no sympathy or remorse for advertising falsely. How about letting everyone where they can watch season 3 or working to somehow redeem Comcast's mistake to all if these faithful prescription payers? And your remarks about Hulu are irrelevant. They never had season 3 to begin with and if they did I doubt they would pull the carpet out from under their customers feet then tell them that Comcast doesn't have it either.
Visitor

How about apologizing for it ACTUALLY being listed with an expiration of 11/2013??
Apologizing for an alleged mistake seems a little ridiculous.
New Visitor

Downton Abbey Season 3 GONE

OK, Comcast...not funny.  Has anyone gotten any answers as to why Season 3 has vanished from On Demand?  

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

its listed on hulu plus

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Downton Abbey Season 3 GONE

the network pulled it as its time was gone.  comcast made a mistake and posted it was going to be there unil 11/13.  Its available on hulu plus only as far as I can tell.

New Visitor

It's too bad their reps have no clue and can't answer this definitively.  Thanks.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

New Visitor
tsimon

I found a news item online (WebProNews, Feb. 13, 2013) that helps explain this mess. Apparently, Amazon purchased the rights from PBS Distribution to be the exclusive streaming video option for DA S3. According to the news piece, Amazon gains exclusive rights to Season 3 effective June 18th, and the other seasons will follow suit at a later time.AND, this exclusivity extends to seasons 4 and 5 (should that be produced).

In other words, Comcast lost out in a bidding war (as did Netflix and Hulu). Capitalism and the free markets have taken hold. Of course, that doesn't explain why DA was advertised as being available until Nov. 2013 by Comcast when, if the article is correct, they apparently never had the rights for that length of time.

There is a practical solution for Downton fans - forget the streaming video and do the following:

1)To catch up on past episodes, go to your local video rental shop and rent the DVD. You can fund this whopping $10-12 investment by reducing the level of service you pay to Comcast.  

2) Watch the upcoming Season 4 during its original airing on PBS (or, record it when it runs and watch it later). 

I've pasted in the full article below, along with the link. That's more transparency than we seem to be getting from Comcast on this matter.

- via WebProNews, Feb. 13, 2013 

http://www.webpronews.com/amazon-steals-downton-abbey-from-netflix-hulu-past-present-and-future-2013...

As of right now, you can watch the hit Masterpiece Classic show Downton Abbey on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime Instant Video. Some time this year, that will no longer be the case.

Amazon has just announced a deal with PBS Distribution that will make Prime Instant Video the only place that Downton Fans will be able to stream the show.

Eventually. Amazon will have exclusive rights to Downton Abbey Season 3 (currently airing) on June 18th, and will gain exclusive rights to the other two seasons “later this year.” No specifics on the actual date that you’ll see Downton disappear from Netflix and Hulu.

Not only that, but Amazon is keeping Downton out of the hands of Netflix and Hulu for the foreseeable future. Prime Instant Video will continue to be the exclusive subscription home of season 4 and season 5, if that actually becomes a thing.

“Our Prime customers have spoken—they can’t get enough of the MASTERPIECE CLASSIC series ‘Downton Abbey.’ The series is consistently in our top most watched TV shows each week, making it the most popular TV series with Prime Instant Video customers, ever,” said Brad Beale, Director of Digital Video Content Acquisition for Amazon. “Prime Instant Video will soon be the exclusive subscription video streaming home for ‘Downton Abbey.’”

This is a big move by Amazon to secure the rights to an extremely popular show. Locking up exclusive rights to Downton Abbey’s past, present, and future is a pretty good wallop to other streaming services – a scheme that Thomas could surely approve of.

New Visitor
badcable123

So like Comcast to pull season 3 of Downton Abbey. I do not believe that PBS is responsible. I now have been on hold with India for 28 minutes while he tries to "correct the problem". Oh wait! He's back! india says they will "fix the problem in 24 hours!" Too bad it's been 48 hours by now. TELL THE TRUTH COMCAST! GIVE US WHAT WE PAID FOR!

New Visitor

CTR+VI, like manhy other, watched all of Season 1 and Season 2 of Downton Abbey, during last week.  I was so looking forward to seeing Season 3 and now it has been pulled off.  Can you do anythng about it?  I signed up for the extra #$5 or $6 dollars a month in ordr to warch it.  What a disappointment.  ANYTIME I try to contact SOMEONE with Comcast or Xfinity (Ihave at least 4 different tele numbers - I am sent (after a very long wait) to someone in Manila.  What is taking place.  I want to hear from someton a.s.a.p.  You have my e-mail address.  And, please "Downton Abbey".                 B.L. Teas  Houston, Texas

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

blteas wrote:

CTR+VI, like manhy other, watched all of Season 1 and Season 2 of Downton Abbey, during last week.  I was so looking forward to seeing Season 3 and now it has been pulled off.  Can you do anythng about it?  I signed up for the extra #$5 or $6 dollars a month in ordr to warch it.  What a disappointment.  ANYTIME I try to contact SOMEONE with Comcast or Xfinity (Ihave at least 4 different tele numbers - I am sent (after a very long wait) to someone in Manila.  What is taking place.  I want to hear from someton a.s.a.p.  You have my e-mail address.  And, please "Downton Abbey".                 B.L. Teas  Houston, Texas

As the other thread on this issue at http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-Demand/Downton-Abbey-Season-3/td-p/1647961 suggests, it seems that Comcast doesn't have the rights right now to that season of the show.  There was a mistake when it came to showing the content would be avialble through November 2013.  It's not clear when or even if Comcast will have rights to put up that season (or other seasons) of the show again.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

badcable123 wrote:

So like Comcast to pull season 3 of Downton Abbey. I do not believe that PBS is responsible. I now have been on hold with India for 28 minutes while he tries to "correct the problem". Oh wait! He's back! india says they will "fix the problem in 24 hours!" Too bad it's been 48 hours by now. TELL THE TRUTH COMCAST! GIVE US WHAT WE PAID FOR!

The unfortunate mistake of incorrecting listing the availability date aside, based on all the information provided in the thread, and many other similar threads dealing with (on demand) content availablity, it seems that there's much more to point all of this into other directions (various rights to the show, etc.) than onto Comcast themselves.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you are correct.  The networks own the shows that go on demand they decide when it goes on and for how long and when to cancel it.  In this case PBS pulled it off. comcast cannot bring it back.  I see hulu plus has it though, you can sign up there for 30 days for free and you can watch season three if that is what you desire. 

I can make a few comments to you all who posted about this.   since you made a statement that you watched it during the comcast watchathon it did its job, it gets you to spend more to get those shows you liked.   

If you do not have one its time to get a dvr and tape these shows, if you choose to try to use on demand like a dvr you are disappointed as you can see by this instance.  

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

badcable you were told above that comcast does not have the rights to show the show, I dont understand why you would not belive that.  The networks own the shows and they license them for specific periods of time to on demand, this is not specific to comcast, if you were on fios they would not be there either.   You can mull over any conspiracy theory you would like but in the end its pbs fault, so go call them, and while your at it you might want to get a dvr to actually record the show, on demand is not meant to replace a dvr as you can see what happens if you try to use it that way.   You also dont pay for on demand its free with service just like you dont get a credit when its out as its free.   you can go to hulu plus if your jonesing for season 3, or you can wait until it comes back on demand when the network decides to put it there.

New Visitor
djsn1

@comcasteric I believe that tsimon has the most comprehensive explanation. Comcast seems to have lost out on the negotiations. Recognizing this, I signed up for Amazon Instant with which I was not familiar. My new Sony fortunately had the capability like Apple TV to download and stream from Amazon after I purchased the Season 3 for about $16.00. Of course I had to upgrade to Amazon Prime which is good in it own right. All in all I was determined and now we are happily watching episode #4 as I type. Comcast did in fact lose out. However, they did mislead their customers with the Nov 2013 good 'til date.

New Visitor
badcable123

I paid for streampix to watch the entire series-$4.99 a month. So you think I should get a DVR from comcast? What happens when that goes bad? It seems to always be the customer's fault. I have been on the phone (my cell-not my landline) for over 4 hours combined this week trying to deal with no dial-tone, no wi-fi, billing problems and now no Downton Abbey!

If you go to comcasts website, they are still advertising the ENTIRE Abbey series-good until 11/13. There is no conspiracy theory. It's a terrible company with terrible customer service.

Contributor

I'm the person that originated this thread.  You mentioned to me about the difference between On Demand and DVR.  I have a DVR.   I just happened to be someone who didn't know about the first season so I let the 2nd season go by.  During the 3rd season my brother and many friends kept telling me to watch it because they thought that I would will love it.  Unfortunately by this time Season 3 was over.  I checked On Demand and all three seasons were there.  I checked Season 3 to see how long I had to watch it.  It said November.  I thought great I can watch the whole thing and I have plenty of time, not that I was going to wait until November to watch Season 3.  I find your postings to be less than helpful.  You make assumptions when you don't know the whole story.  Comcast has become a monopoly which is not good for the consumer.  They don't care about us and charge us through the moon for their less than stellar service.  The only reason I haven't changed to another service is that Game of Thrones is back on.  After it is over, I am leaving Comcast. They won't have my televison service, my phone service or my internet service.  I am done with them.

New Visitor
markskid

How about free Downton Abby?

New Visitor
Cooklite

It is available to purchase on Amazon!
New Visitor

This is all ridiculous.  Dish here I come!  It’s crazy that we can't access PBS, Public Broadcasting System!  I regret every dollar I have ever donated to PBS.

New Visitor

PBS has entered into a private agreement with a different provider so is no longer making new episode of the show available for comcast on demand. season 1 & 2 are still available but season 3 will no longer be provided for on demand by PBS. sad.. love the show

New Visitor
Kusan5018

I also watched season 1 and 2 and saw that season 3 was on til Nov.  I'm hooked and now for some reason you took off Season 3.  What's with that???

New Visitor

Downton Abbey season 3

What happened to season three of Downtown Abbey. We just started watching it and it is gone. What gives?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Downton Abbey season 3

pbs took it off on demand.  

New Visitor

Whaaaat? Does anyone know why?

New Visitor

Downton Abby current season gone on on demand

Why did you take the current season of Dowton Abby down from on demand.  I enjoyed season ! & 2 and the first 2 episodes of the current season and now it is gone.  When and will you put it back up.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

on demand shows are licensed for periods of time by the network they come and go with no rhyme or reason, if you want to be able to watch what you want when you want you would need to get a comcast dvr, on demand is not a dvr and does not function like one.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

Seems like most of the questions would be answered reading this existing Downtown Abbey On Demand thread.
New Visitor
kimberlydaly3

Dowton Abbey

We are really ticked out this as well...  Really enjoyed season 1 and 2.  We subscribed to Streampix so we could watch season 3..   but guess what, no season 3 on Comcast.   The really funny thing is I have called customer service, telling them that I could not find season 3.   They had no Idea what I was talking about.....

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Dowton Abbey

PBS pulled it as the license was out.   Comcast has no control over the licensing time the networks choose to put things on demand.  It will most likely be back but no one knows when.  If you really want to watch it sign up for huluplug for the 30 day free trial its on there.