New Visitor
On Demand is inoperable, Error 4 is reported at every attempt to use the feature. What does Error 4 allude to ???
New Visitor

Re: Error 4

I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM....I'M ON HOLD WITH COMCAST NOW.....

BK
Recognized Contributor

Err-4 is basically your box is not sending/getting a signal back from the VOD Server.

This is caused be many things.

1) Box is not working properly (Not Responding)
2) Connections not properly hooked up on the box/tight enough
3) Spliltter (old/dead)
4) Coax connection

Call comcast ask them to run a test/dpet the cable box, if they say its not responding (swap out for a new box).
If they say its Responding then get a tech out there.
New Visitor

Thank you very much.
Regular Contributor
atlanta_ed

The explanation I got from my friendly local Comcast CSR is that too many people are trying to access OD at the same time.  He said nothing is wrong with the box, Comcast is having, "some little problems with their system. Try again later."   I gave it 10 minutes and tried again and it worked.
Sound familiar??:smileylaugh:
Frequent Visitor

I have a similar issue; my dvr and hd box will not work. Sometimes they get into a second or third level of menus, then dies out. My standard digital box works fine. Line and/or splitter problems make no sense based on how they are wired. Spent an hour on the phone one day and they 'wrote up' the problem to go to the tv guys, but never heard anything nor has the problem been fixed. As stated in other posts, they sell you on features they have, they quit working, and then they will not adjust your bill because they are 'free' ! 
Contributor

Hi

I had the same problem. It took me several weeks of no success with Comcast customer service before I learned that the on demand feature only works when I bypassed every splitter in the upstream (from my house to the cable headend) direction in my house. This was strange since my Motorala cable modem worked fine so I suspect that the comcast digital TV box has very little upstream strength.

I finally fixed the problem by purchasing an active 8 way divider/combiner with 0 dB upstream loss ($115) and now on demand works.

Regular Contributor

Hmm, I have error 4 too.  When I first called, I wound up on some automated troubleshooting where they said they were sending a reset to my box and I should wait 20 minutes.  Didn't do anything.  When I called the next time, they said Error 4 meant they needed to send out a tech.  It could be low line signals.  We had noticed some spotty digital picture a few days ago also.  Then, a few hours later, my Internet went out.   OK, so I figure it is a poor signal and when the tech comes he can fix it.

Next day (gee, I got a next day appointment and on Christmas Eve no less), the tech comes out, tests the line at the digital box and says it is fine.  Did some diagnostics and voila, on demand is working.  Internet was working too (but had been going on and off a bit before).  He said that there was something mixed up in how the lines were set up, he had checked it and fixed it before he came in.  He said they could have fixed it in the office.  I didn't quite understand.

Then, about a half hour after he left my kids came home and wanted to watch on demand and it didn't work (and the internet was out again).  I'm not sure if they are related or what was going on.  I called Comcast back and they said that the Error 4 was something that could be fixed in the back office and they were sending in an order and it could take 24-78 hours to get it fixed.  (no VOD on Xmas :-( )  And they would send a tech for the Internet as my signal strength seems low.

A while later, internet comes back up and my kids are able to get the on demand.  While they are watching, the internet goes down and up and down and up (it even went down as I was composing this email) but my kids are still able to watch the in progress on demand.

I really wish I understood what ERror 4 was and why they said it wasn't a signal problem and if my Internet and tv problems are related.  I wish someone in Comcast could answer these questions without sending out a tech. 

Biggest problem is that when the Internet is out, you can't write in to the support forum!

Regular Contributor
jstorm001

[ Edited ]
I've been having error 4 about a month now almost going two months now i called comcast & done live chat's  many times.......they tried sending signals to both my dvr boxes notting so comcast said they would send out a tech i've setup number of days in the past few weeks & i had waited for them & comcast never shows im tried of this **bleep** i work overnight i dont have time to be playing games  with **bleep**ing comcast!!!!!
Message Edited by jstorm001 on 12-29-2008 02:29 AM
Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Would you like to buy a comma?  :smileyconfused:
Visitor

Don,t knowif you tried this, last time I had this problem I just unplugged the box for like 30 seconds plugged it back in and my box is working right again. Hope this was helpful if not sorry.
Contributor

I seem to have this problem at least one or twice a month I just wait for 20 or 30 minutes and on demand works fine again.  Yeah it does get old that it happens even that often witch it really shouldn't.