Contributor
timelord1963

Error Code 7

I am getting error code 7 when I try to connect to ON demand menu. I called Comcast support and spoke to several individuals who were clueless. If anyone else has had this error code please advise.

Thank You

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Error Code 7

Please confirm that you have tried to power cycle your set top box, and the error has returned.

The Comcast Corp administrator has been notified of you On Demand issue.

Watch this post and your email for updates from the team in the next couple days.

Contributor
timelord1963

The set top box has been power cycled and I even went to Comcast office to get another Box. This box was run through setup by comcast and the same error 7 when I try on demand menu on the new box. All of the Channels and the Channel guide are working. If I try to access help & support menu that will not work.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It the box has been swapped, then it's probably a signal issue and a tech will need to come out.  The Comcast Corp team will contact you to resolve it.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

[ Edited ]

Err 7 occurs when your set-top box doesn't have an IP address at the time of the request for VOD. I didn't see any signal trouble with your modem, but I would like to know how it's connected in relation to your set-top box. Where is the cable box? Is there a splitter providing cable to box that you're having trouble with? Is the cable finger tight?

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Contributor
timelord1963

Hello, cable box is on top of vcr in the same position as the old box that was working properly for several years. No splitter on this cable line that is coming directly from outside. It is connected according to the Comcast setup recommended in the setup instructions. Like I said all channels are coming in just get error 7 when I try on demand menu. All cables are tight. I have two other boxes in the house and all ok with those.

Thanks

Contributor
timelord1963

Hello, the worst part is when I spoke to several individuals at the Comcast office they seemed like they could care less that I had a problem. They were suppose to call be back and I never received a follow up call on this issue. I am considering just closing my account.

Contributor
timelord1963

This issue was finally resolved today when a technician came to the residence. He determined that the settop box was in disconnect. It was also receiving the wrong codes(not Comcast codes) for on demand. He mentioned that someone should have noticed this. Very poor customer service when you call in the office for help. This should have been resolved weeks ago.

New Visitor
majictiger

I have been having the same problem off and on now for over a month....OD works and then stops....back and forth and on and off.....I have called Comcast a zillion times and had as many different answers as people I spoke with....No one had a clue and everyone thought that they were right....what a bunch of nonsense! finally after not having OD for over 24 hours this weekend I started to research the problem and error code online myself and went with the advice I was given to fix the problem myself!   Apparently when your cable connection to either the box or from the wall has become a bit lose...and it does not even have to be something that you can see....you can risk losing On Demand.....about a month ago I did some moving equipment around with my TV/DVD player/Sound System etc etc and had to move wires and such to clean things up in this area of my family room....during this I may have either pulled the cable wire going to the wall a bit or for whatever reason it just may have become a bit lose....well after unplugging my box and tightening up the cable to the wall jack.....my On Demand was working in a matter of minutes!!!!!  I scheduled someone to come out to the house tomorrow so I will see if there is still a problem in the morning to weither I need them or not....

New Visitor
hofner72

Hi, I have the same problem. How did he change it to becoming "Connected"?
New Visitor
hofner72

I have been having this error code 7 for 2 days now.  Customer service has done a reset, I have uplugged it first until the box was room temp.  I made sure all connections were finger tight, replaced the splitter with a direct coupler, (new), and still a No-Go for the OD only.

My guess was then to unplug the modem until it was cold.  That didn't help either.

The internut is very slow at times, like a 386 with a modem over phone line.  this is also NOT what I am paying for.

I have been a General Manager of 2 different cable networks for at least 8 years and I know what I am doing.  One or both of these boxes have an internal error, or your service to my apartment is faulty, (which I doubt).  It is also possible that your phone tech service is useless too.

Nobody ever did say how to set an IP, or enable the OD.  I'm guessing that a Technician is the only person who knows how to login to them in order to make the proper changes.

In the mean time, I'm going to setup some fans in an attempt to evacuate some of the heat from the boxes, like I did in my server rooms, even though the temp. in there was around 60 degrees.

Please help.  Thanx.

New Visitor
fishheado7

I had an old motorola box that was small and had no buttons on it and on demand didn't work because it said that there was an error processing the request and comcast said that it couldn't be fixed. So today, I swapped boxes with the one in my brothers room who recently moved out. I went to go to On demand and It said I had error code 7 and to call customer support but I was on the phone for half an hour and it said that they were to busy and to get help from the website...  how do I fix this??? please help...

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

I started to get this code on all three of my DVR's as of today.

I did the usual powercycling, checking the coax connections, and had customer service send out reset hits. No effect.

Finally, I went outside to the drop box, and unscrewed the connectors, and then screwed them back on. I unplugged the box and 1/2 hr later plugged the box back in. Now I have On Demand.

Very finicky! Online research lead to the boxes not having an IP address. I guess maybe a bad connection outside was the culprit.