Visitor

Fast Forward on "on demand"

Recently some shows on "on demand" have a feature that prohibits fast forwarding.  I'm sure it is to force us to watch the commercials.   We watched a show one night, but had to leave before it finished. The next day we went to on demand to see the end.  We were unable to jump to the 3/4 point to see only the part we missed. Very annoying !

Bronze Star Contributor

Fast forward disabled for Fox VOD

What's with the fast forwarding being disabled for FOX VoD?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Fast forward disabled for Fox VOD

The network made the decision on that.

Here's a exerpt from the press release this week:

"The ad models in the free VOD vary by network and sometimes by show, with some of the content fast-forward disabled and others providing full trick mode, according to Jenckes. CBS and NBC shows have fast-forward enabled, while for some ABC and Fox shows fast forward is disabled."

Please contact the network to voice your concern.

Bronze Star Contributor

So, the network decided that every customer that watches Fox VoD via the Comcast VoD system *must* watch commercials. While I could contact the network, how likely is that they are going to read the e-mail, especially since I'll probably get an auto reply indicating that due to the volume of e-mail, a response can't be sent.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

From what I've read, you can use Page Up to skip ahead 5 minutes, then rewind back if it's too much. You can use PageDn to skip back 5 minutes.

Unlike regulra DVR usage, the 30-second skip forward and 15-sec rewind do not work the same, and are generally configured for the same 5-minute skip/review for OnDemand.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they figure out this bug and disable the 5-minute skip, too. If you only need to watch the end of a show, this can be VERY annoying.

Email Expert

cb2367 wrote:

So, the network decided that every customer that watches Fox VoD via the Comcast VoD system *must* watch commercials. While I could contact the network, how likely is that they are going to read the e-mail, especially since I'll probably get an auto reply indicating that due to the volume of e-mail, a response can't be sent.

It's more likely than if you DON'T send the email. You shouldn't expect a personal response, but the networks should hopefully try to keep track of the number of complaints they get about it, and this may cause them to change their policies. On the other hand, no one likes all the bugs that appear on screen during programs, and that hasn't slowed their proliferation. So I wouldn't get your hopes up.

Advertisers pay for TV programs, so are they really being so horrible in trying to get people to watch them?

New Visitor
shannonhiggins

Thanks!  That was getting very annoying!!:smileywink:

New Visitor
JimL521

[ Edited ]

The way I see it, I'm already paying a monthly fee to have access to those stations.  If they insist that Fast Forwarding be disabled for VOD, then it's a simple issue on my part to simply not watch their programming on VOD.

I wonder how long it will be before recorded programming from ABC and FOX will no longer be allowed to fast forward?  If that every happens, then people should boycott ABC and FOX programming.

Regular Problem Solver

JimL521 wrote:

The way I see it, I'm already paying a monthly fee to have access to those stations.  If they insist that Fast Forwarding be disabled for VOD, then it's a simple issue on my part to simply not watch their programming on VOD.

I wonder how long it will be before recorded programming from ABC and FOX will no longer be allowed to fast forward?  If that every happens, then people should boycott ABC and FOX programming.

From what I can tell, the restriction is on new On Demand shows from these networks which are incremental shows provided at no additional cost.

If you have a DVR you can FF or REW any show all you want.  

Email Expert

Exactly. Until a few weeks ago, none of these shows were available on demand at all. When they got added, there was no corresponding price increase. So we got them essentially for free. Fox and ABC spent years NOT making their programs available. When they finally agreed to this, they made a compromise: we can watch them on demand, but can't speed through the commercials.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Actually, at least here in the Chicago area, ABC was available OnDemand until last fall. It even included HD. I don't think Fox ever was, except just before the last season of 24, when they offered the previous season, but it required paying for each episode.

New Visitor
toeside

+1

I agree.  I will choose to ignore Fox VOD.  I'm paying what, $80/month or so for this commerical-filled "service"?  On-Demand is becoming less-and-less appealing.

Email Expert

You're paying the same price to watch live TV, and you can't FF through commercials there, either.

Although if you record everything on the DVR, like I do, that argument doesn't apply.

New Visitor

I understand why they insist that you watch the commercials.  I haven't actually watched commercials for years,because I've taped, and now DVR everything I want to watch.  But I really object when you can't ff through the show to get to the part you want to see - what's the point of having the On Demand service?  Why not just watch it live?  This really frosts me - I wonder how TIVO handles it....

Regular Problem Solver

[ Edited ]

abucksworth wrote:

I understand why they insist that you watch the commercials.  I haven't actually watched commercials for years,because I've taped, and now DVR everything I want to watch.  But I really object when you can't ff through the show to get to the part you want to see - what's the point of having the On Demand service?  Why not just watch it live?  This really frosts me - I wonder how TIVO handles it....

You can still watch it live or DVR the program with no restrictions. This has nothing to do with a DVR.

This is only for some On Demand shows (that were never on on demand to begin with) and not everyone has a DVR. On demand has a much wider audience

So it would seem to be a value add to put the additional and new programming that people were looking for to time shift (without a DVR) in front of a lot more people at no additional charge (with of course one caveat),  

New Visitor
RM999023

I refuse to watch any on Demand show were fast forward is disabled.

Email Expert

Your loss.

I don't think this losing you as a viewer should bother the network. They don't care about people watching the programs, they care about commercial viewings, since that's how they make their money. You're not watching the commercials now, and you weren't going to watch the commercials if they allowed FF, so you're irrelevant to their revenues.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Fast Forward on "on demand"

The networks decide whether or not to allow FF of On Demand programs. ABC and Fox do not.

You can complain to the networks but I doubt they will change it. The ads bring in money for the networks.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
cademers44

I'm not thrilled with not being able to fast forward. I, too, have had occasion to want to see the end of a show, and literally have to play the OnDemand broadcast at regular speed for 45 minutes before getting to the part I missed. It is truly annoying. I wonder if the networks have that same restriction with FiOS.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that in ON DEMAND, we had a SAVED PROGRAMS  area where we could pick up on stopped/paused shows and pick up where we left off..

I've been watching less and less On Demand shows because of this new  "fast forward" restriction.

ciao, bj

Contributor
cademers44

Yes, if you started to watch an On Demand program and stopped partway through, you can pick it up again in the Saved area. But if you started to watch a show on TV and couldn't finish it and wanted to see the rest on On Demand, you have to play through the ENTIRE show to get to the point you want to watch from. I have sent a suggestion to Comcast that they provide "chapters" with "scene selections" like on a DVD so you can pick up from a certain point. It won't eliminate the commercials, but you won't have to watch the whole show again.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

OK, now I understand..   I've had that happen, and was fortunate to be able to pick up my show on HULU.. 

I can deal with their commercials, and like you said, flipping through "scene selections" you can watch what you want..

Good Luck

ciao, bj

New Visitor

It isn's a perfect solution but you can hit the 5 minutes forward button and then rewind so you don't have to sit through the commercials. It seems that if "in the old days of vhs" we could tape and FF, on demand should be able to do the same regardless of the TV networks. this is very disappointing.

Visitor

I wouldn't mind it so much except I'm wthcing the Expedition and they play the ad for The Help twice during every commercial break with an ad for I Am Number Four occasionally put in there.  I'll never watch The Help because I an so freakin annoyed by watching the stupid ad.  At least put a little variety in there. Watching the ad for The Help about 20 times during a single VoD does exactly the opposite of what the paying advertiser wants.

Email Expert

I've noticed the same thing when watching TV programs online at some sites. The worst is cwtv.com, they keep showing the same commercials, usually for cosmetics. They apparently think that only teenage girls watch Vampire Diaries.

BTW, online video sites like Hulu also don't allow skipping commercials.

Frequent Visitor

I can grasp the requirement from certain networks to limit the access to the FF feature. I get it. But, having a brain, I would think the networks would be smart enough to push many advertisers instead of the same one (the movie "The Help) 28 times.

Regular Problem Solver

With On Demand "you" are not doing the taping, comcast is and comcast is bound to business agreements.

No such issue with a dvr, comcast provided or otherwise. FF or REW all you want, just like the old days of vhs with a customer owned VCR and customer owned blank tapes. Of course a DVR costs money (just like a VCR) but you get more control over the content.    

kayleeT wrote:

It isn's a perfect solution but you can hit the 5 minutes forward button and then rewind so you don't have to sit through the commercials. It seems that if "in the old days of vhs" we could tape and FF, on demand should be able to do the same regardless of the TV networks. this is very disappointing.

New Visitor
MMSHARP5

Yes I find this incredibly annoying.  It did not used to be this way regardless of the network.  And they only play 2 commercials over and over and over and over.  We are going nuts!

Regular Contributor
BearHooks

The shows that take away the FF feature are not that many. It is a way to watch your most recent shows the very next morning or an hour or so later. So Comcast has to sell those commercials because the cost they pay to show the program is more.

I find it really kool to miss a show and come back anytime the next day to watch it. Commercials are just a minor stumble. So for me I have really enjoyed it.

New Visitor
New Visitor
C4G

This feature SUX and looking to switch to At&t just because of this...Everybody complain and switch. It cost them a whole lot more to get a new customer than keep an existing loyal customer.:manmad:

New Visitor
New Visitor
C4G

This feature SUX and looking to switch to At&t just because of this...Everybody complain and switch. It cost them a whole lot more to get a new customer than keep an existing loyal customer

Regular Problem Solver

C4G wrote:

This feature SUX and looking to switch to At&t just because of this...Everybody complain and switch. It cost them a whole lot more to get a new customer than keep an existing loyal customer.:manmad:

I don't think at&t uverse even has those shows available on demand at all.

As you are looking into it, please let us know what you find out.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

ALL,

We apologize for the inconvenience but the fast forward option was disabled as requested by the networks to  allow full commercial advertising from their programming partners. 

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
cademers44

I don't object so much to the commercials (don't like it but it's understandable). What I do object to is not being able to navigate to a particular spot, i.e., scene selection like a DVD, so if you start watching a show on TV and have to go back to On Demand to finish it, you can't pick up where you left off.

Regular Problem Solver

cademers44 wrote:

I don't object so much to the commercials (don't like it but it's understandable). What I do object to is not being able to navigate to a particular spot, i.e., scene selection like a DVD, so if you start watching a show on TV and have to go back to On Demand to finish it, you can't pick up where you left off.

try the page up and page down buttons on the remote - those buttons will skip you around in on demand programs in 5 minute increments, even on FF disabled programs.

Contributor
cademers44

Thanks for the tip ... I'll try it!

New Visitor
Sup3rman

All, Keep telling Comcast how you feel.  We don't pay the networks, We pay comcast. Comcast should be looking out for their subscribers.

New Visitor
hobbyz

We are all paying for on-demand.  It may be advertised as a 'freebie' and not broken down in the price, but we are paying for it.  I understand the argument that on-demand is a different service, but I believe that the ff, rw, etc functions on my DVR (extra cost to me) should function with all aspects of programming and not be controlled by individual networks.

As someone else mentioned, given the opportunity and technology, eventually the networks will (if capable) begin to disallow ff, rw, etc on standard programming.  Because, as mentioned, advertising pays for the programming and advertising rates go down (or will) when DVR usage goes up.

New Visitor
jlgcsp

on demand

I would like to know why ABC and FOX programming has no fast foward like the other stations.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: on demand

jlgcsp wrote:

I would like to know why ABC and FOX programming has no fast foward like the other stations.

See the begnning posts. Basically, it was either that, or they would refuse any OnDemand at all. Plus, it seems is if few, if any, markets have them HD.

Contributor

I see no reason to contact Fox, ESPN, or ABC, regarding your refusal to provide me with full functioning ON DEMAND. I'm not paying FOX OR ABC, I am paying COMCAST.!!

Why not just refused to place those shows on the menu? I'm certain you would not have to wait for a call back or the switch back to allowing me to decide how much time or which shows i will and won't watch.

Besides, I'm betting most folks are either playing the show the other room, or they are like me and simply not bothering to watch as much ON DEMAND.

What do you think is going to happen if your audience for ON DEMAND begins declining?

Show some hair and do the right thing for your customers... for once!

Regular Problem Solver

kyle4510 wrote:

I see no reason to contact Fox, ESPN, or ABC, regarding your refusal to provide me with full functioning ON DEMAND. I'm not paying FOX OR ABC, I am paying COMCAST.!!

Why not just refused to place those shows on the menu? I'm certain you would not have to wait for a call back or the switch back to allowing me to decide how much time or which shows i will and won't watch.

Besides, I'm betting most folks are either playing the show the other room, or they are like me and simply not bothering to watch as much ON DEMAND.

What do you think is going to happen if your audience for ON DEMAND begins declining?

Show some hair and do the right thing for your customers... for once!

I think that most people are just happy to have the opportunity to have these new shows available on demand at all. 

and it looks like on demand usage is up at comcast....likely based on the top new shows being available (even with FF disabled).  Me, I have a DVR so this sort of thing does not bother me. I can FF all day and night.

comcast says that even more people are using on demand, not leaving because of it....

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/About/PressRoom/20-Billion.html

http://www.comcast.com/MediaLibrary/1/1/About/PressRoom/Documents/20%20Billion/views_barchart.pdf

Email Expert

kyle4510 wrote:

Why not just refused to place those shows on the menu?

I guess the concept of "compromise" is foreign to you.

These networks refused to make their shows available on demand for years. Comcast finally got them to join the program, but they had to make this one little concession.

Contributor
kier

I refuse to watch any show On Demand that has FF disabled. They already made their money on the scheduled broadcast. I pay for Cable and the On Demand features, thus FF should not be disabled. 

Regular Problem Solver

kier wrote:

I refuse to watch any show On Demand that has FF disabled. They already made their money on the scheduled broadcast. I pay for Cable and the On Demand features, thus FF should not be disabled. 

Yep, that will show them...

Contributor

Sarcasm? That is your reply? How about I keep both my comment and you oh so childish response and forward them to the Clackamas County Commissioners?

You are taking service from us in order to gain revenues from a sponsor who would likely pay you anyway.

Mind you loosing the fast forward isn't upsetting because I now am forced to watch commercials, it is upsetting because I record certain shows for our troops over-seas as I am a member of "Soldiers Angels". I sponsor Soldiers who have no one at home to send them care packages, and as you might consider, not everything is suitable for viewing in Islamic lands...

That said, you are just another example of the Corporations being entirely to greedy and as such deserve to be identified as one of the reasons we have demonstrators in the streets!

You did this because you have a captured audience! It has nothing to do with improving the product!

Dam straight I am boycotting those sponsors involved, and I have listed those same companies in my letter to the County Commission. Oh, yes I "copied" to Oregon's Governor, our US Senators & Congressman, as well as President Obama. Contrary to your thinking, Greed is not Good!

I'm not sure you deserve my respect given the Sarcasm in your first reply, but then again I may get a more reasonable person replying.

Resectfully,

Kyle Evans.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

As a Moderator on this forum I am wondering who you are actually talking to and who you are going to complain to about what specifically.  Is it about service, programming or that fact that these commercial sponsored shows have requested that the On Demand programming can't be fast forwarded. 

If someone's post is offensive, click on the "report abuse" button and one of us Mod's will review and remove it if it should be removed.  This is not done in real time as we are not online 24x7.

Remember, you are not talking to Comcast on this Community Forum where any Comcast subscriber with an account can post, answer and comment.

We can flag posts for followup with the Comcast Social Media Team when a post needs help with service, accounts or other customer related issues with your service.

If you do really want to write to someone at Comcast that has any power, please use this LINK to contact the proper management at Comcast's HQ in Philly.  No one from Comcast with any importance is seeing any post here.  Writing a letter to the proper Management will get visibility, where posting on the internet goes nowhere.

Contributor

I'm sorry to be the purveyor of bad news, but both FOX and NBC  DENIED Mandating anything,  It was something the Cable Company offered instead of what was termed "routine royalties" being paid by the competitors to Cable.

In otherwords, rather than paying as their competitors do Comcast choose to force us to watch commercials.

My argument to the County Commissioners is quite simply this is an illegal decrease in services I previously enjoyed... if you will Comcast is passing those routine royalties on without proper review!

Still the option is mine, I've complained to all the government offices I can think of, and I boycotting any show both in "On Demand" and live broadcast who chooses to show this same greedy posture Americans are marching in the streets to protest!

It's not about being a captured audience, it is about a slippery way to increase my cost to watch! My Time and mental faculties do have value.

Contributor

To answer your question, people are marching in the streets over this very issue: GET IT? GREED IS NO GOOD! I am now forced to give up a civil liberty to watch the program? How much freedom are you willing to give up?

This is nothing more than passing along a fee for watching commercial television on Cable... something that is suppose to be illegal. It will be interesting to see if the FEDS act or once again roll-over for the networks... aka "Corporate America".

Contributor

Advertisers are paying for a service on the public airways. This isn't the advertizer's product to sell... it is the producer/networks product and quite simply they are prohibited from charging us for cable time so they are passing fees along to us in an illegal fashion.

The solution is to simply not use the On Demand function for the shows who insist on illegally violating my Constitutional freedoms...this is precisely commercial censorship, and it is totally illegal!

People are marching in the streets precisely in response to this level of greed!