Contributor
halpme

Hey Comcast --Fix the Problem!

What is wrong with Comcast???  All I keep reading are people having trouble with On Demand and the only solution Comcast offers is to unplug and wait.  This is bulloney.  On Demand has become a crapshoot.  Sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.   Explain to me why I should stay with you guys?  Your 'customer service' people don't even admit there's a problem they just say 'oh sorry you're having a problem, unplug and wait and hey by the way, do you want to order triple play'? 

WHY DOES THE ON DEMAND FEATURE KEEP MESSING UP?  Just answer the question and provide a solution.  I'm tired of trying to watch something only to have numerous error codes pop up, unplugging the stupid box, waiting HOURS for it to come back. It IS NOT an internal problem with us because all other features are there and working fine.  All channels, guide menu, all other menus.  It is ONLY the On Demand feature and it mostly  happens to both boxes we have, rather than just one. Comcast has obviously made some type of change in conjunction with xfinity.  You boast that xfinity is great but in reality it sucks.  Put it back to what it was because THAT worked.

They're installing FIOS in my neighborhood and I will be looking into switching unless Comcast fixes the problem.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Hey Comcast --Fix the Problem!

First this is a customer to customer forum so complaining to comcast will not help you.  Second xfinity is just a name change and means nothing.  Third, have you had a tech come out to your home and check signal levels?  90% off all on demand problems are casused by two things.  either a signal issue, or somehow the codes associated to your account are wrong and not giving you access to the on demand programming.  

What box do you have have?  Has this ever worked?  If it has, has anything changed with your set up you know about?

Contributor
halpme

First, I know this is just a customer forum but complaining on here will help . . . helps me to vent :smileyhappy:  and folks like you may provide info. 

Second, many folks have had menu changes since they introduced xfinity so I doubt it was 'just' a name change.  Although what else they may have changed?  Who knows.

Third, Motorola.

Fourth, They've worked perfectly fine for the few years we have had them.

Fifth, what's changed on our end with the set up?  NOTHING.  Not.  One.  Single.  Thing.   Which makes it all the more frustrating that more often than not whenever we decide to watch something from On Demand we get a black screen with just sound . . . or a black with no sound and one of several different error codes.  I've called them numerous times and the fix is the same . . . unplug, wait, resend signal, wait, wait, wait . . . hours later we finally have access to On Demand and it works . . .for a bit. 

Here's an example:  last night my daughter went down the basement to catch up on a show she is watching.  Turned on the tv, turned on On Demand and . .. error with no On Demand service.  It froze the box -- the power button on the box itself wouldn't even work and she had to unplug it then plug it back it just to get the box to turn off.   It took over an hour to get the menus/On Demand stuff back.  At the same time we were unable to access On Demand in the family room.  Error was VM255 -- generic error.  Oh joy.

Two hours later I tried On Demand again . . .and waalaaa, it was working just fine.  We did nothing, tried nothing.  I've tried it three times today and it's working just fine.  I could try again in an hour and it wouldn't be working.  Random.

If it were just one box messed up I would assume it was the box or lose connections or wires going bad or whatever.  But since it is nearly always BOTH boxes that go out . . . my conclustion is that it's something on their end rather than ours.  We get everything else just fine, it is ONLY the On Demand that is messed up.

Why/how would any codes associated with our account be wrong?  WE haven't changed anything.  If Comcast has they should be able to pinpoint it and fix it.  All I get is the unplug it and wait advice from Comcast.  On Monday night when I called, she re-sent the signal but she said it wouldn't go through.  We went out and came back 2 1/12 hours later and it was fine. 

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

granted you do get more help here than with actual comcast employees.

see this thread.  Two different customers were having problems and both had solutions posted.  One was a signal issue the other the account codes.  

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-Demand/Re-On-Demand-quot-error-7-quot/m-p/922047#M298

Unfortunately you probably need a tech visit first to test signal strength, you might have had a splitter go bad or something happened to your cable from the pole to the house.

I would try the code thing first and then the tech visit.  Thats just my opinion based on what I have seen and know.

Visitor
esoj

I am having the same problem today as well

Contributor
halpme

Ok, On Demand has worked all day every time I've tried.  Just tried now (8pm) and we got a VM-255 code (generic code) and a CL-7 code.  Not sure what the CL-7 code is but that code comes up most often.

Is it something AFTER a certain time that screws up? 

Contributor
halpme

Tried again at 9:15pm last night.. . . O.D.  working just fine.

When it doesn't work we get the audio only but not the video, just a black screen w/one of several error messages. 

The problem is on their end. If it were a spliiter or wire or whatever gone bad within our house our entire service would be messed up.  It is only the On Demand menu/service.

Contributor
halpme

Have been trying since about 8am this morning to get On Demand . . . only get the black screen with either error code VM-255 or CL-7.  I can hear the On Demand 'commerical' (or whatever that is) perfectly fine, there just isn't any picture. 

Contributor
halpme

If it was a splitter gone bad more than just the On Demand picture would be messed up.  At least that makes sense to me.  The picture on some channels was 'blinking' for about a week then that went away. 

They are istalling FIOS in our area . . . that wouldn't interfere with Comcast though, right?  Or does FIOS have to access any of the lines that Comcast does?  I'm thinking no on this one.

I will try to contact Comcast to see if there is a code messed up in our account.  Thx.

Contributor
halpme

Ok, so O.D. was out all morning and it just came back around noon.  In the meantime I've been websurfing like crazy and came upon this info:

Turn the cable box off and within 2 seconds push the 'Ok/Select' button.  (leave the tv on).  A diagnostic screen will appear with many pages.  Look for the page that says 'In Band Status' (mine is on page 03).  Click ok and see what your 'SNR' number is (I looked and SNR means 'signal to noise ratio'). 

When On Demand wasn't working the SNR was 30 dB.  In the column on the right it said 'good'.

On Demand just started working so I checked this number and again and the SNR  was 35 dB.  It still said 'good' in the column on the right.

Does dB stand for decible?  I'm going to keep checking the SNR level for when O.D. is and isn't working . . perhaps this is a clue as to why is funks out so much. 

Would installing some kind of amplifier (?) to keep the SNR level at 35 be something that can be done?  Just thinking out loud here.

Contributor
halpme

On Demand Issues/Troubleshooting

Like many of you we've been having issues with On Demand.  our On Demand was out all morning (again!) and it just came back around noon.  In searching for some answers I came upon this info:

Turn the cable box off and within 2 seconds push the 'Ok/Select' button.  (leave the tv on).  A diagnostic screen will appear with many pages.  Look for the page that says 'In Band Status' (mine is on page 03).  Click ok and see what your 'SNR' number is (I looked and SNR means 'signal to noise ratio').*

* Note:  The above info stated that it was for a Motorola box.  Since that's the type of box we have I tried it and it worked.  I don't know if it would work for a different model box but it's work a try.

When On Demand wasn't working the SNR was 30 dB.  In the column on the right it said 'good'.

On Demand just started working so I checked this number and again and the SNR  was 35 dB.  It still said 'good' in the column on the right.

Does dB stand for decible?  I'm going to keep checking the SNR level for when O.D. is and isn't working . . perhaps this is a clue as to why is funks out so much. 

Would installing some kind of amplifier (?) to keep the SNR level at 35 be something that can be done?  Just thinking out loud here.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: On Demand Issues/Troubleshooting

[ Edited ]

halpme

You continue to post alot, but you really should be calling Comcast and they need to step through the steps to find and fix your issue.  It does look like you are having some SNR and possible signal level issues.

A tech needs to come out to fix this.  Call them. 

If you already have had techs out, then post back with details and history of calling Comcast and it can be escalated.

It won't fix itself.  A drop amp would be a band-aid, and the true source of the problem needs to be found.

Contributor
halpme

I haven't contacted Comcast yet because I'm not confident that they will be able to fix the problem.  Color me skeptical.  This is based on my past experience with them and also from the numerous comments/issues I've read others having with them. . . .which is why I'm doing my homework to gather as much info on the problem as possible.  The more info I can gather and provide to Comcast, the better. 

I"m posting a lot to a) share the info I'm coming across and b) to see if others have these same issues and c) to see if anyone else will post with information they've come across.  I've often found doing this to be extremely helpful in diagnosing problems. 

If you disagree with my method of problem solving feel free to skip my posts.  :smileyhappy:

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If you have no confidence in Comcast then I have contacted the Comcast Cares Team who will get the right local people to get it fixed.

You most likely need a tech out, and without calling, it will never get fixed. 

The team will contact you to arrange getting your issue fixed.  Watch your email and this post for updates from the team during the business week.

Contributor
halpme

Thank you, Jay.  That was unexpected!

I'm not saying I won't call Comcast I'm just trying to provide them with as much info as possible for when I do contact them.  Just finding out that the SNR signal is fluctuating has helped in figuring out what the problem may be and can only help Comcast in pinpointing the problem.

Thank you again and I will keep an eye out for the email.  Have a good weekend!

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

To the OP....

VOD is dependent on upstream communication that travels over a completely separate frequency and has different signal levels from downstream.   Your normal TV may work fine but you may be over a threshold for upstream.   Various things such as heating and cooling of the cable or connections may cause the problem to come and go, as may a short or improper ground.  

Bottom line....you've been told the solution.  Call Comcast and let a tech come out and check the wiring at the street and within your home.   I have had similar issues and the tech found the problem and resolved it.  Even if the problem is on Comcast's end and not yours, they will not escalate until a tech has come to your home.

Coming here ranting and posting redundant monologues is useless and doesn't solve your problem.

Contributor
halpme

@ Skyhawk . . . coming on here and 'ranting' does help.  Had I not done that I wouldn't have gotten the information that I did, including what you just posted.  I wasn't rude to anyone . . unlike you.  If you find my posts so redundant feel free to ignore them.

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

halpme wrote:

@ Skyhawk . . . coming on here and 'ranting' does help.  Had I not done that I wouldn't have gotten the information that I did, including what you just posted.  I wasn't rude to anyone . . unlike you.  If you find my posts so redundant feel free to ignore them.

I'm not being rude.  Just direct.  There is a big difference.  Sorry you don't see it.

You want to know how to solve your problem....I told you as did others.   We are trying to be helpful by assisting you to get to the best way to get your problem solved.   Waxing on and on here on the forum will not solve your issue.  

If you prefer to not call the people who can help you and instead post here, then be my guest.  You don't need my help.

New Visitor
mct557

Call the center and ask for a home health check.  It checks the signal levels to the home....but that's only what Comcast has control of....It's like the telephone company, the can only troubleshoot to the point of demarcation (which is the phone company's grey box on the side of the house)...inside the house is totally different scenario....

Well, a couple of things did change....Comcast is delivering to the home higher contact at a higher resolution and a lot of features that most customers don't even know about or will never use.

Anywayss....likely the makeup of the content has changed....and it is not compatible with the "internal wiring" inside the home (likely too many splitters, or a Radio Shack splitter that does not re-distribute the signal at the proper frequency (900Mhz vs. 1000Mhz). That is likely the cause if everything was working and now is not.

Contributor
halpme

@ Sky hawk . . . I'm just trying to gather as much info as possible before I contact Comcast. MY experience with them has been that the more information I can provide the better they are at fixing the problem.   I've gained info from a few posters here, you being one of them, so thanks. I'm also posting things that I am finding so that it may help someone else. Sorry if you consider that 'waxing'. <eyeroll>   btw, your 'being direct' needs some fine tuning.  Just sayin'.

New Visitor
mct557

SNR is your signal to noise ratio - i.e. how clean is the signal.

regular video could work, but OD not because the OD is pulling down content at a different frequency rate.  If the splitters in the home are old/archaic (or gold from Radio Shack) - it will be a fussy OD experience.

Best bet is to have a tech come out and verify....grrr.  frustrating yes, but they often get it right.

New Visitor
mct557

Forget to mention....an inline amp can boost the signal strength in the home if you have splitters all over the place.

Contributor
halpme

@mct557  --- Thank you!  Answers like this are why I posted in the first place.  Many things I know nothing about but if just one person posts this info . . . very helpful to me and others.  I've never even heard of a home health check from Comcast.  I will look into this asap.  Thanks again.

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

rog286713 wrote:

First this is a customer to customer forum so complaining to comcast will not help you.  Second xfinity is just a name change and means nothing.  Third, have you had a tech come out to your home and check signal levels?  90% off all on demand problems are casused by two things.  either a signal issue, or somehow the codes associated to your account are wrong and not giving you access to the on demand programming.

Complaining to Comcast certainly did not help me.  Video on Demand never worked for me during the two and a half years it should have.  Whatever Comcast did the multiple times I reported the problem did not fix it.

It was likely not a signal issue.  The "OOB STATUS" page of the Motorola set top box included

SNR:  21.0 dB GOOD
AGC:  13 %    GOOD

It was likely not an account code issue.  During a phone call, a customer service representative mentioned doing a database update and that Video On Demand should work for me.

What are causes of the other 10% of the Video On Demand problems?

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

nonfidel wrote:
Complaining to Comcast certainly did not help me.  Video on Demand never worked for me during the two and a half years it should have.  Whatever Comcast did the multiple times I reported the problem did not fix it.

I know I'm the guy coming into the thread and saying the non-happy talk stuff, but really?   So you put up with a problem....whatever the source...for two years and that's Comcast's fault? 

These problems are going to take the form of one of two types....with the vast majority being the technical type.  Those can be solved if you get the right help and escalate as necessary if things are not being solved.    The second and less prevalent type will be some kind of billing or subscription error.   Again, those should be easy to fix if you escalate when you're not getting the right help.

I have had a couple of wacky things happen to me over the 7 years that I've had Comcast's services.  The most recent was a CL-7 and VM255 problem with VOD that came and went daily.   After having two techs come out and spending nearly 6 hours with them....the problem was solved. 

Putting up with a problem and then complaining that something never worked while posting on a forum that is merely viewed by your peers is certainly anyone's prerogative, but getting in touch with the Comcast people who can help is much simpler and will solve your issues.   You can tweet them (@comcastcares) or you can post on the direct support forum at DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com) or you can call their HQ and get escalation that way.   

People can call me rude if they want, but I think it's more helpful to provide you with the truth and call it what it is....and then you can make the decision to pay for something that doesn't work, if that's your choice.   Just don't blame Comcast. 

Regular Contributor
nonfidel

[ Edited ]

SkyhawkDriver wrote:

Putting up with a problem and then complaining that something never worked while posting on a forum that is merely viewed by your peers is certainly anyone's prerogative, but getting in touch with the Comcast people who can help is much simpler and will solve your issues.   You can tweet them (@comcastcares) or you can post on the direct support forum at DSL Reports (http://www.dslreports.com) or you can call their HQ and get escalation that way.   

People can call me rude if they want, but I think it's more helpful to provide you with the truth and call it what it is....and then you can make the decision to pay for something that doesn't work, if that's your choice.   Just don't blame Comcast.

It is not a question of putting up with the problem and then complaining.  I reported the problem to Comcast multiple times.  Whatever Comcast did when I reported the problem did not fix it.

Sorry, but I don't tweet.  Does a tweet get more attention than a phone call, email, or post to this forum for whicn I received a response from a Comcast regional manager?

According to http://www.dslreoports.com/about: "DSLreports.com (Est. 1999) provides a neutral forum to share Broadband ISP reviews, news & information".  Nothing there dslreports.com being a direct support forum for Comcast.

The problem is now moot because I have downgraded my service level to one that does not include Video On Demand.  If Video On Demand had worked for me, I may have decided it was worth enough to me to continue at the higher service level.

If providing the truth makes one rude, then I am rude.  Let me see if I have this right: I should not blame Comcast because they did not fix a problem that I reported to them?

Contributor
halpme

Ok, so Comcast contacted me a few days ago and set up an appointment for a tech to come out.  He was here today for about an hour and a half.  He spent the first 45 minutes changing out everything outside in the box . . cables, grounding box, etc.  He then changed out all the end-caps (not sure what the right name for them is) on all the cables in the basement, changed out the splitter in the basement and also one we have in the family room.  He also changed out two thicker cables for two thinner cables in the family room.  Naturally On Demand was working when he got here because Murphy paid us a visit.  :smileywink:

He checked everything after his changes.  SNR was up to 37 (it had fluctuated between 29-35) and 4 or 5 of the ports were 'ready', rather than being listed as 'unused' (when O.D. wasn't working). 

I checked O.D. about 6 times between noon and 5pm and it was working great.

Until I just checked it again around 8pm and you guessed it . . . snr is down to 33 and no On Demand.  :smileyangry:

However ,the box in the basement is working .. we're getting O.D. down there. Which is good because before when one went out usually both went out.  SO... tomorrow I will switch the family room box and the box in the basement and see what happens.  If that fixes the problem upstairs but increases the problem downstairs the assumption would be that the box is funky.  If the problem persists upstairs one would assume that the actual cable may have gone funky.

Comcast was terrific  . . . but the problem still persists.  Blarg.

New Visitor
mct557

Glad to hear that it is semi-fixed.

However, rather than waste your own precious time, call them back....now.  They do work on Saturday and Sundays.  Switching boxes will not likely fix the issue.  Odds are it is the wiring between your family room TV and the main entry point into the house, or the length of run.

Contributor
halpme

@mct:  Thanks for that info, I had no idea that they worked on weekends. I'll give them a buzz. 

Contributor
halpme

[ Edited ]

Since the Comcast guy didn't come until yesterday (scheduling conflicts over the weekend) I decided to switch the family room and basement boxes which did . . . exactly nothing.  lol  Natch.

So the Comcast guy came yesterday and we told him all the changes the other guy did and that we switched boxes, yadda, yadda, yadda.  He thought it sounded like the boxes (which were the old Motorola model, with the clock and buttons on the front . . . it was the size of a dvd recorder) were too old to update properly.  He changed out both boxes and so far, so good.  The new boxes are the size of the dta boxes and just have a little orange light on them to let you know that Comcast is on.  No channel, no clock  :smileyangry:, no buttons on the front.  The SNR ratio seems to be holding steady and also on the OOB diagnostic page the OOB was only ever fair or poor (O.D. never worked when it was poor).  It actually hit 20 and 'good' today!  Updating the boxes seems to have resolved the issues we were having with O.D.   We've only had the one box about 1 1/2 years but from what the tech said it was more of 'outdated technology' rather than 'the boxes actually breaking'.

For anyone else having similar issues with their On Demand, go into the diagnostic menu (push the cable button then the power button on the Comcast silver remote.  This will turn the cable off.  Quickly push the 'ok' button -- this will bring up the menu.  Make sure you leave the tv on).  Check your SNR levels on the OOB menu, your In Band Status menu and also the levels on the Upstream menu.  The tech said the lower the number the better on the Upstream Menu (ours has held steady at 41 since he left); anything 55 and up is bad.  If your SNR numbers are flukey call Comcast and have them check everything out. 

Thanks again for everyone on here who provided info/help . . it's much appreciated!  :smileyhappy:  And thanks Comcast for timely, knowledgeable techs.  I've never had a problem with your customer service (when they come out) . . keep up the good work!

New Visitor
casey710

Just curious but did you ever find a solution?  I have been calling Comcast everyday over On Demand issues same as everyone else here and have NO resolution.  Codes are apparently fine...had tech come out and put in new splitters etc and still having the same code 7 error.  Every time I call Comcast I am told something completely different.  I am close to dumping them and going with DirectTV or anyone else at this point.  I can barely be civil to them when I call now.  I am sick of having to unplug and have a signal sent etc.  Did you ever find a resolution?  BTW, I live in northern cal.

Contributor
halpme

[ Edited ]

@Casey710:  Hey  . . . see my previous post.   They came out again and replaced our older Motorola boxes (they were the size of a dvd player with buttons on the front, clock display, channel display) with newer, smaller boxes.  Exact same features as the older box but they're about the size of the dta's.  No buttons, no clock, no channel display. 

The tech said that although our Motorola boxes weren't 'broken' they may have been too old to handle the newer technology/signals, etc. that's now available.  He was just here yesterday and so far everything is working as it should.  Fingers crossed.

If your boxes are an older model you can set up an appt. to have them come out and replace or you could even take them to the nearest Comcast office and tell them they're giving you problems and that you want new model boxes.  Good luck!

I would like to add that although Comcast customer service has been pretty good . . . I do wish that they had suggested we make an appt. for a tech service call, since we were calling into Comcast several times/week for a couple of months with the exact same problem.  Even if there isn't a record of our calls . . I always told whoever I talked to that this is a constant problem that's been going on for quite some time.  Instead they just did the same old 'unplug and we'll resend the signal' solution.  I wish they had looked at our record of problems and suggested that either our lines or boxes or whatever may need updating.  At least that's something I think the customer service people you call should know and should be able to do.

New Visitor
manyissues

Wow you must be a Comcast Tech.  Why don't you ever show up when you are supposed to.  3 scheduled events all no call no show which indicates there is a Comcast problem that you are covering up.

New Visitor
manyissues

you are not helping.  Tech's only come when the problem is fixed.

New Visitor
Nopike

Funny, how people all over the country have the same problem and Comcast says the problem is at the customer's end!  I'm in the midwest an been having OD problems for going on three weeks, figured they were throttling back the signal.  I keep my equipment up to date and make sure it is snug and good.

New Visitor
Nopike

My SNR is at 20dB

Still no OD

Official Employee

No pike, you and manyissues, probably should have started your own thread instead of jumping on a 3 yr old thread. Regardless, your on demand issues, more than likely, are a cause of your upstream ( one of the signals boxes use to communicate) being too high.

Your modem ( which is considered "end of life") is sitting at a 52.4 and your DCT is at 57. If you can, check if you have a splitter or 2 you can eliminate to get that upstream lower. If not call in for a tech visit to see if the upstream is too high upside. But having just 4 pieces of equipment the upstream shouldn't be that high.