New Visitor
In2Caps
Accepted Solution

Missing Episode of The Newsroom

In HBO On Demand, episodes 1, 2, and 4 are showing up, but not episode 3. Help!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: Missing Episode of The Newsroom

that is not an accident, the networks normally do not post all the episodes of any show, if they did why would you rent a dvr or buy the dvd's if you can watch every episode for free on demand.  

Have you look online and on your mobile devices and at the hd section for the episode, you will find different episodes available on different formats.   On demand is not meant to replace a dvr. 

New Visitor
124888molly

When you pay for cable, you should get what you pay for. Comcast should never meddle with the on demand you have paid for.  

Email Expert
CCCarole

Picker 57: Read please

Your post in forum with the subject Missing Episode of Newsroom has been moved to a secure location because it contains personal information.

Protect your identity. Do not post personal information on a public forum. That includes your email address, phone number, account number, postal address, and similar identifying information for you or someone else. Dishonest people and their programs may try to use that information. Don't give them the opportunity.

The contents of your post is included below. You may try posting again with the personal information removed. You may want to open another browser window into the forum to compose your revised post.

We have recently started to watch "Newsroom" (an HBO series) on Xfinity On Demand. When we started a few days ago, episodes 1:01 thru 1:04 were shown as available. Now episode 1:03 is missing from the queue. What has happened to that episode, and can it be reinstalled on our set?  Thanks for any information you can provide

Need Email Help? Please post the following information in your post.
Do you use XfinityConnect? The Full or Lite version?
Do you use an email client? Which one? (Eg; Windows Live mail, Outlook, a smartphone etc.)
Which browser/version do you use? And- have you cleared your browser cache?
Which operating system? XP, Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X
Details of the problem you are having.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

on demand is offered as a free service as part of your package.  Like I said you cannot use on demand like a drv it is not meant for that if you want to watch your show with all eipisodes rent a dvr.  

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

124888molly wrote:

When you pay for cable, you should get what you pay for. Comcast should never meddle with the on demand you have paid for.  

Maybe Comcast didn't meddle with On Demand.

It could the NETWORK that doesn't want something released for On Demand or online viewing. They are the ones who decide what to release for those venues. There are many people who think cable providers can pick whatever they want for On Demand and online and it doesn't work that way.

If Comcast and other providers don't have it, they can't put it out for viewing.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
In2Caps

I HAVE a DVR, but thanks for the helpful answer. This is a show that a friend recommended I watch. So, I happened to come late to the party. It would seem to me that HBO would LOVE people to join in, even after the first few episodes, but it's a little hard to catch up with a missing episode, so I'm pretty sure it's not some ploy to make me stop watching and rent the DVD instead.

Bronze Star Contributor

That is not a proper answer.  

All episodes of programs are OnDemand if that program is listed as being available OnDemand.

I never heard such nonsense that they hold back episodes.   I have been in contact with both HBO and SHO and they say they send all episodes to the cable companies.  Sometimes glitches happen and they show up in one geographical location and not another. 

I am working with a Comcast tech right now to find out what the problem is.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

The only way to get every episode of a show for hbo is to have hbogo, which is free with your subscription online and on any mobile device.  There you get every episode of every series ever made, you do not get that with on demand.   All episodes of every show are not avilable if it is on comcast.  Never has been.  

the networks not comcast dictate what goes on demand and for how long.  Look up any series on any pay channel on demand and you will see only a splattering of episodes not every one.  That has never worked that way. 

Good luck working with the comcast tech.

Bronze Star Contributor

Well I have HBO and SHO and I should get all the episodes on Demand per the people at HBO and SHO.

SHO even has a schedule on their website of the date they release each episode to the Cable company for onDemand. 

You seem to only know how to post blanket answers on this forum, none of which are very helpful.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

I just tell it like it is, you don't have to like it.  I am a straight shooter.   Do what I said look at any premium channel on demand I defiy you to find every episode of any series there.  It has and always will be like that.  You can take it or leave it.   These are not blanket answers, most if not all questions posted here have been asked numerous times.  people just don't take the time to look for answers before they post so even though the answer seems the same it has to be as the question is.   Like I said the only way to get every episode is to use the app such as hbogo, cinemax go shogo.  They are all there and is the only place you will find EVERY episode.   I am just a customer like you so don't shoot the messenger, listen to the message.

New Visitor
fergiebaby

The Newsroom Episode #3

I have talked to HBO regarding the missing episode 3 of the Newsroom............the say it is available.

So, Comcast must be censoring On Demand...........Correct?  Please make #3 available.

Bronze Star Contributor

Well i've been watching Boardwalk Empire onDemand and they haven't missed an episode yet.

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

This episode should be available On Demand. Our team is looking into this now and I will update you when I learn more.

As a workaround, you can watch the episode online here:

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/tv/The-Newsroom/175978/2258187590/The-Newsroom-03-%28HBO%29/videos

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Bronze Star Contributor

we know we can watch online..........if we wanted to do that we would. 

I'm also waiting for a Weeds episode that another tech online is trying to find for me.

The networks say they send ALL the episodes and that Comcast is losing them somewhere.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

rog286713 wrote:

I just tell it like it is, you don't have to like it.  I am a straight shooter.   Do what I said look at any premium channel on demand I defiy you to find every episode of any series there.  It has and always will be like that.  You can take it or leave it.   These are not blanket answers, most if not all questions posted here have been asked numerous times.  people just don't take the time to look for answers before they post so even though the answer seems the same it has to be as the question is.   Like I said the only way to get every episode is to use the app such as hbogo, cinemax go shogo.  They are all there and is the only place you will find EVERY episode.   I am just a customer like you so don't shoot the messenger, listen to the message.

Last evening I finished watching True Blood--  HBO...  I remembered this thread about Newsroom and checked out HBO - OnDemand..

Checked TrueBlood and episodes 1-7 were listed, with 7 being NEW as of this Sunday..

I'm a customer too, and do see inconsistencies in the listings.. 

Just my $.02... 

ciao, bj

p.s. I did not check The Newsroom...  will have to check that..

Bronze Star Contributor

well now with True Blood and Boardwalk Empire we took his dare and met the challenge.

It's not right when people just spout things that are told to them not really knowing whether they are true or not. 

Thank you BlueJay for jumping in here.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

If you look at those shows you will see soon that episodes will disappear from on demand.  Then will you post back that I was right?  The only time you will get every episode is once the series has concluded like the sopranos.  

I have been a comcast customer for 15 years my opinions are my own and based on my experience with them, no one tells me anything .  I wish you good luck finding all your episodes of your shows on demand.  

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

I don't consider Sept 23, 2012, as "soon" for episodes to disappear from the listings.. 

I believe that about that time the season will be over and I'll be well caught up with my viewing..

Again, just my $.02

ciao, bj

Contributor

Yeah, I was looking for Episode 3 and it isn't there.  For others here to say they would keep all the other Episodes but get rid of 3 is really nonsense - why would they do that other than stupidity?  It's obviously an oversight that needs to be resolved.

Furthermore, when you got to the Watch Now page for The Newsroom here - there is a Watch On TV button enabled for the Episode.  When I click it, the On Demand comes up on my TV, but it hangs and then eventually disappears.  If the Episode shouldn't be available I should never be able to click on that button.

Hopefully they'll get that episode up soon for people who were late in joining the series and trying to catch up in sequence.

Visitor

Thank you, Joe. I am glad that someone who can actually do something about it is working on the issue. In our household we just watched the episode on a laptop, which is not ideal for a family trying to watch together as a group.

As an aside, the only reason we went to OnDemand was because we had recorded the episode on our DVR, but the recording failed and was blank after the 8th minute of the show. We were then surprised to see that just this one episode was missing from OnDemand.

Having tried two methods to watch this show and having them fail, and then finally watching on the laptop and seeing the actual storyline of the episode, it is not surprising that people are wondering about censorship of this particular episode. I have seen the issue of the missing episode raised on several other boards, and so I appreciate being able to come here and have an actual Comcast/Xfinity support person reply to the thread.

Thanks again for looking into this. We will look forward to hearing more and hopefully the episode will be restored soon to OnDemand. We might want to watch it again with friends and the only decent way to do it is on the TV screen.

New Visitor
RonPlummer

It's called Video On Demand and as a customer I expect the current season's episodes to be available "on demand." The highlighted not every program is available commentary is really unnecessary and doesn't help resolve the problem, directly to the point or not.

New Visitor
RonPlummer

Thanks for looking into this.

When I last checked around 2200 EST episode #3 of Newsroom still wasn't available. It doesn't help much that it was the episode that dumped on the Tea Party and it's resulting backlash from management, but that's just out of the sky speculation. 

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

To all who want to view E 3  of The Newsroom:

A while back, I signed up for HBOgo and wanted to see if I could access #3 there on my PC..

I do not have any of the bells and whistles pieces of hardware, just my computer and a cell phone that does not have internet capabilities..

I was able to view the entire episode.. 

So, if you really want to view # 3, set up an account with HBOgo and watch on line or on any of the many hand held things out there that folks are using today..  :smileywink:

I'm too old to use any of those things..

Good luck, ciao, bj

Bronze Star Contributor

Hi BlueJay

We are aware we can watch the episodes other ways but we feel we should get them on our TVs since we're paying for the service.

I contacted the executive offices today and gave them the info.  They assured me that all episodes of all programming should be available on VOD and if it isn't then there is a problem and they will address it.

Whether they fix it or not remains to be seen.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Hi Bunella,

Yes I do agree with you that since we're paying for the OD service, we should be able to view all  the aspects of the paid premium services that are part of our subscription packages..

Especially if, as you said, you have been in contact with HBO and they said that all episodes have been released and should be available for viewing. 

Maybe that episode was too political for whoever was responsible for its availability on demand..

I certainly hope that the issue is resolved and HBO continues to be available on OnDemand.

ciao, bj

Bronze Star Contributor

No they didn't say all episodes had been released.   They said all episodes SHOULD be released and they will find out why some are missing on more than one program.

They said they do not make decisions about airing.  All episodes of all shows that are contracted to be on VOD should show up. 

Official Employee
ComcastJoe

Hi all,

I was informed at that the episode should appear On Demand no later than 12:30 PM EST. Can you please check for the episode again and let me know the results.

If it is still not there, I will inform the On Demand team that this is still persisting and further keep you updated.

Thank you for your patience and sorry for the inconvenience,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
Twitter: @XfinityTVJoe

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

It's there.........

Thanks Joe

ciao, bj

Bronze Star Contributor

[ Edited ]

to Comcast Joe,

it is 1:39 PM here on the east coast and neither the Newsroom nor Weeds missing episodes are there.

Edited to add:

just checked again at 2:05.   The missing weeds episode is on HD but not on non HD and the Newsroom is not on either.

Visitor

Joe, thank you for your work on this issue. Episode 3 is now available here in the Pacific Northwest. Not only is the episode restored, but there is also as short bonus at the end with Aaron Sorkin discussing the episode.

I am very happy that this is resolved. There are too many times these days that customer service at various companies takes forever to resolve problems, if they ever do solve them. Comcast is better than usual about getting things resolved, at least in my experience. I was very interested in seeing the episode restored, and Comcast passed the test on this one. Joe, thanks again for your part in getting this issue taken care of.

Regular Problem Solver
BlueJay

Bunella wrote:

to Comcast Joe,

it is 1:39 PM here on the east coast and neither the Newsroom nor Weeds missing episodes are there.

Hi Bunella,

I'm also east coast-- Mass.. 

I just went to double check..   The episode  in Newsroom is LISTED..  

When I clicked on it, I got the following message:

Request Failed

Please Try Again

If problem continues call

1 800 934 6489

Reference   Error 17 when calling..

Good Lord!!!   This is like the old ethnic jokes...   How many (??????) does it take to change a light bulb..

Episode 4 did load...

So I guess it's back to the drawing board..

ciao, bj

Bronze Star Contributor

i know...........it's so sad that a huge corporation can't get anyone to do this correctly.

I did find the Weeds episode I was missing in the HD section but I didn't try to access it.  Now I'm afraid.

LOL............

Bronze Star Contributor

As of this morning both episodes are there however the Weeds is still only on HD VOD, while The Newsroom is on both. 

Thank you for all your help in this matter.