New Visitor
gabriele4

On Demand Error 14

Just got a Comcast digital box. Can not access On Demand (everything else works).  When we try to, a blue box appears with the message "error retreiving data. Call Comcast and report error 14".  Called Comcast and customer service rep did not know what error 14 was. Was put on hold and disconnected 3 times while she tried to get info from a technician. FInally gave up. Any ideas? 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: On Demand Error 14

I have several troubleshooting lists of errors and none of them list a error 14 either.

I've notified the Comcast Corp administrator to get the right people involved to get you fixed up.

Please watch this post and your email for updates from the team or local people in the next few business days.

Is this a Motorola / Pace or Scientific Atlanta / Cisco equipment?

New Visitor
gabriele4

It is an xfinity Cisco box

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The Comast Corp administrator has been notified and will look into your On Demand issue.

Expect some contact back in the next few business days.  He will take care of it or get the local people involved.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

gabriele4 wrote:

It is an xfinity Cisco box

Hi Gabriele - I've sent a few signals over to the television. Usually box resets will clear VOD error codes.  I'm not sure if err-14 is a new error, but I did ask a friend in engineering to share some insight.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor
Diveboss

This thread ends with no idea if what you did help the other subscriber. Also, there was no follow up as to what an error 14 is.

Anyway, I just got Comcast today (xfinity triple play) and I too am getting the error 14 code. Any help from Comcast is appreaciated.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

Diveboss wrote:

This thread ends with no idea if what you did help the other subscriber. Also, there was no follow up as to what an error 14 is.

Anyway, I just got Comcast today (xfinity triple play) and I too am getting the error 14 code. Any help from Comcast is appreaciated.

Err 14 is a generic video error that is usually resolved with a box reset. The original poster did not circle back; I'm hopeful that the box reset resolved the issue. Have you tried powercycling your converter or any of the troubleshooting tips located at the top of this board? Here's a deeplink - http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Video-On-Demand/Video-On-Demand-Troubleshooting-and-FAQs/td-p/864613

Thanks!

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
Contributor
bkeeler32

I've also been getting this error consistently for 3 weeks now.  It started the day they switched over to the new menu/guide/OnDemand system.  It only happens on one of my two boxes, however.  I have tried resetting the box countless times, I've gone through a long and painful troubleshooting session on the phone with a representative (who, incidentally, told me that on that one day, she had 6 reports of this same error in my area), and nothing has worked.  At this point it seems my only option left is to make an appointment for service -- which of course usually means taking time off work and sitting around waiting.

Contributor
bkeeler32

Okay, I take that back -- it's now happening on both of my boxes.

New Visitor
stewarco

I just picked up my new cisco rng200n box.  Every time I try to access on demand, I get the error 14 message.  My HD Tivo bit the dust yesterday so I was finally going to be able to utilize the On Demand stuff for the first time... does no one know what the problem is?

Contributor
PamSue

I too have not been able to get on demand ( error 14) ever since it switched over to the new guide. Have talked to c/s numerous times and was even told to bring my old box in and swap out with a new box. That did not work, they have sent signals and I have unplugged too many times to count. This been almost 2 months now and getting frustrated. They want to come out and me take off work, but I can't do that.

New Visitor
MikeInCape

Our Comcast just switched to xfinity in Cape Coral, and my On Demand has been down for at least half a week now. Error code 14. All 3 boxes, which are 2 different brands. Scientific Atlanta and Cisco. Called Comcast, and they reset my boxes but could not fix. Told me it must be a wiring issue, but I just had comcast rewire my house - so I know it is not.

Any chance of Comcast fixing this soon? I am obviously not the only one having this issue, as I was told on the phone. This must be a system error that is effecting some or all of Comcast.

I do not use my DVR and have been watching all my shows on demand. This has really put a damper on my TV viewing, and I am not happy.

Please help.

Contributor
bkeeler32

I finally got mine boxes fixed.  Wasn't the boxes, it was the signal levels or some such.  Actually, there were multiple issues.  First the tech removed the filter on the line, which I guess was blocking some of the (proper) signal.  That fixed one box.  The other box was not pulling an IP address, and needed to be reset.  Not just rebooted, but reset, whatever that means.  Signal levels were fine, that wasn't the problem, the but transmit level (before reset) was really high.

So in the end I'm not sure exactly what the actual problem was, but all of these things fixed it.  However, the key is that it was not the boxes, and not the wiring.  It was more of a system problem, which makes sense because it happened when they switched everything over system-wide to the new on-screen guide, new OnDemand, etc.

As for getting it fixed, I think it's just a matter of luck in getting the right technician who is aware of the problems, and doesn't pass it off as a problem with the box or the wiring.  That, and getting Comcast to finally figure out the issue and educate their customer service folks.  (hint, hint....)

New Visitor
stewarco

I guess I was lucky... I was online with chat help for over an hour the night I got the box.  They set me up for a tech to come out the following Monday.  But by the next morning my box was working and hasn't had a problem since.  

Contributor
PamSue

A tech came out today to check my outside signals and I happened to be home and he fixed it. It seems on the back of the box was a filter and that was what was causing the problem. From what it looked like to me was a big coaxial thing. He took it off, sent a signal and now I can watch on demand- woo hoo.

New Visitor
alexander2368

how long do I have to wait for comcast to fix my on demand

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

have you called them and initiated a service call?  You can see from the other posts that there are multiple issues that can be causing your problem and a tech reallly should come look at your set up.

Contributor
bkeeler32

Well, the problem is back again.  On Demand is giving error 14 on my DVR box, but working fine on my HD box.  I called customer service, went through the usual 20 minute cycle of sending signals, rebooting the box, etc.  Still not working.  The customer service rep, Courtney, claimed to know nothing about an increase in problems since they introduced the new on-screen guide.   And again, she claims they only thing they can do is to send out a technician.  Again.  But I know from experience that if I just wait around long enough, it will probably start working again (at least temporarily) in a couple of weeks.  That's faster than I can schedule time off work to get a technician appointment, generally.

What does it take to get Comcast to take this issue seriously?  There has GOT to be a better solution than this.  At this point, my cable is nearly useless 50% of the time. 

How do I get in touch with someone higher up than a customer service rep -- someone with some actual system-wide knowledge and ability to DO something???

Contributor
PamSue

Do you have a filter on the back of the box ( looks like a coax end ). I had the same problems for months and that was the problem, the tech took it off and sent a signal and that was all it was. Hope this helps.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Escalations can be done by contacting the Comcast Cares Team at we_can_help@comcast.com  Email them details and a good daytime phone number so they can contact you.  They will get the right local people involved.

Contributor
bkeeler32

Yes, the filter was the problem the first time the tech came -- he removed it at the street box (see my earlier post).  That fixed things temporarily.

Thanks for the contact info about escalating the problem.  Why can't the customer service rep on the phone give me this information???

New Visitor
TCManning

I too have had this error message (and others) over the last few months. I have called repeatedly, done repeated resets, and had a tech out to the house. It works sporadically so of course it was working by the time the tech arrived. He acted like he had never heard of such a problem, checked all connections, and said he found a few loose connections to tighten. About 2 days later, we again were without on demand. I would estimate in 3 months, it has worked maybe 5-7 days. I have 3 boxes and none get on demand. Supposedly, my problem was "escalated" about 10 days ago and I've heard nothing further.

Contributor
MrMustang

I've almost given up hope, because my OnDemand has not worked for so many months now that I have literally lost track.  I've had lots of resets and nothing has helped.  I am planning to have a technician come out again and see if he can solve it.

I guess what really chaps my hide is that everyone I have talked to about it at Comcast acts like they have never heard of it.  If this many people have the same issue, it cannot be that rare.

Contributor
bkeeler32

Just had our second service call about this (see my previous posts), and seems to again be fixed.  For now.  However this time I actually got some pretty good information as to what the problem is.

The transmit levels on the box were again high.  It seems that the new system is much more sensitive to this.  The problem was that the cable line to this particular box was going through a splitter, an amplifier, and a few other things.  Therefore the signal going back out (transmitting) couldn't get through, and (I guess) the box automatically cranked up the signals more and more in an effort to get them out, until the levels were too high and it no longer worked.  I guess it needs to be under 54 dB or so, and we were at 58.  By rearranging the cables at hte box in the garage (basically, putting the line to our main TV straight through), he was able to bring the signal down to 52.  Of course, this is pretty close to the cutoff, but that's the best he could do.  Next step would be to lower the signal at the street level. 

Miracle of miracles, the tech gave me his direct phone number to call him again should we have further problems, therefore avoiding having to go through the entire cycle on the phone again with reps who claim they've never heard of this problem.  (He said that he's certainly seen it before, but not a LOT...)

Also, I did email the "we can help" escalation group, and got a phone call back from a local office within 30 minutes!  Unfortunately i wasn't able to get to the phone, so I had to call back.  I've been calling back and leaving messages for a week now, with no further response...

So, at least this should offer some clues for others as to what to have a tech look for when they come out.  You also might take a look at your cable configuration at hte box and see if you are having similar problems.

Finally, the tech said that Comcast is going to an entirely new HD box system, and my area is one of hte last to get them.  THe new ones should be less sensitive to this whole problem.  (And at the same time, they are supposed to provide whole-house DVR, a 500 GB hard drive, etc.)

Maybe we're finally getting somewhere....

Visitor

I had the same problem on 2 out 3 of my HD DVR boxes. The box that works is behind one splitter and the boxes that did't work are behind 2 splitters. I decided to remove the extra splitter on the 2 boxes and I can now access On Demand without the error 14 issue. I went into the diagnostic menu on the box that was working and one of the boxes that wasn't working and compared the RF signals. The signal was low on the box with the splitter that's when I decided to remove it to so if would make a difference and it did. I used the splitters to change inputs on my tv so I could watch a different channel when I was recording 2 shows at the same time on the DVR. I want to have my splitters in place so I plan on putting in an amp at a later date to boost the signal to see if my splitters will work without getting the error 14 code. It seems that new software upgrade wants to have a stronger signal. Thanks to this thread that I decided to check the signal level and bkeeler32 comments on what the comcast tech did at his house.
New Visitor
JJRBMD

I have been affected by the ERRORR 14 for 2 months. The frustration is getting to a max when  two technicians came to my home (after two weeks waiting each) , they changed all the wires , the box , and who knows what else , and still have the problem. There is no available next step on COMCAST, no one to call ,no available contact beside the local customer services, Very disappointing!!! When you express your frustration , they send a technician with an attitude.

New Visitor
repeach

Thank you !!! I have spent hours on the phone with comcast support over the past 3 weeks while they repeatedly reset my box. They even had me go get a new box and I still had error 14. After reading this post, I went to the master closet and unhooked everything (including the power booster) but the three rooms I have TV's in. Then I unplugged the DVR box for 15 seconds, plugged it back in, waited 30 minutes and everything was working. THANK YOU !!! Now all we have to do is get comcast to start reading forums, obviously their customers are smarter than their support.

Visitor

I think after repeach's comments, it confirms that there is a signal level issue with the new software. I shouldn't have to change my cabling to get it when it worked before the upgrade.

I doubt if Comcast will fix this problem with new software since they just upgraded and this problem probaly isn't affecting a lot of people. They should try to find a solution to this problem instead of having customers
fix their problems. This digital migration and software upgrade has been a lot of grief for me. I don't want to hijack this thread ao that's another thread if one doesn't already exist.

New Visitor
jkratzenberg1

I recieved this error as well and have fixed it myself. Everytime I went to On-Demand I recieved an error code 14.

I have two Comcast Cisco boxes, RNG100. On the back is a Multi-stream cable card (You'll need a philips head screw driver.)

I unplugged the boxes and pulled out the card - Similiar to a PCMCIA card for a laptop then I just slid it back in  put the cover on and plugged the box in and turned it on.

It initialized the hardware, operating system etc ... and within minutes I verified On-Demand worked.

I hope this helps a lot of people.

Thank!

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

thanks for posting that.  I was not aware that box had a card on the back. 

Contributor
JoeyCast

Thanks jkratzenberg1  on-demand works now after removing and reinstalling the cable card :smileyhappy:

Contributor
merctech

More than likely the problem fixed itself when you unplugged the box. Pulling out the cable card when the box isnt powered wont do anything. These boxes can operate at higher transmit levels than a cable modem can. A 58 Tx should work just fine. :smileyhappy: 

New Visitor
NadiaG

I've had the dreaded Error 14 problems for months.  I've called Comcast support countless times and have gone through all of the troubleshooting gymnastics others have described including sitting around waiting for hours for techs to show up.  Every now and then I get lucky and the "signal sending" process works for a day or so.  It's outrageous because I pay about $200 to Comcast every month for crappy service.  Worse, I live in Old Town Alexandria, Virginia where Comcast has a monopoly on cable service so I can't easily switch to another cable provider.  I'm surprised no one has sued Comcast yet (maybe someone is--I'd love to be a part of that class action).  Tonight, after going through the same-old with Comcast support with no resolution (I can practically do rep's script from memory), I asked to cancel my account.  I was transferred to "Retention" who did nothing to try and retain my account.  If anything, the rep sounded happy to get rid of an "Error 14 customer."  As of the end of October 2011, I'm through with Comcast.  My only option, as far as I know, is DirecTV.  Thanks, Comcast, for taking my money and not keeping up your end of the bargain.  Comcast, you absolutely suck!

Regular Contributor

What I have learned thru our trials with ON Demand and reading these forums is that Error 14 can be an IP address issue, that is; your box is not receiving the IP address to connect with the service.  We replaced our boxes to no avail.  Had several techs come out, one actually got it working for a day.  Finally, the line to the main box needed to be replaced with RJ11, in other words the old RJ6 cable was not providing enough signal strength.

It is frustrating to say the least to deal with customer service on the phone.  However; the moderators on this forum are very helpful.  They escalated our issue and we are now receiving good customer service. 

Visitor

I think you meant to say RG-6 cable, which is the coax cable that comes into the box. The term RJ-11 is for telephone connections.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

They meant RG11 and RG6.  It is common these days to run RG11 for drops, expecially long drops.

Visitor

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't realize there was RG-11 cable.

Regular Contributor

Ooops, sorry.  Yes, that is what I meant RG11.  I'm not techie cable oriented. :smileylaugh:

New Visitor
bigcable

Unplug the power feeding the box for 30 seconds. Plug it back in. 5min later your VOD will work and your guide will work 20min later.