Visitor
sms14

On Demand - No Fast Forward Anymore

[ Edited ]

Blocking fast forward for On Demand shows, really?  I get it that you want us to watch commercials, but what about those of us who pull up an On Demand show to watch content that was missed on regular television for an outage or the usual HD volume missing issues, or service interruptions.  Now I cannot fast forward to the point in the show where I lost it on regular television.  Oh not to mention when you rewind on the On Demand show to see something you missed, you cannot fast forward back to where you were either!  Crazy solution Comcast came up with - just block a feature consumers have been using for years.  

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: On Demand - No Fast Forward Anymore

The networks decided to block fast forwarding in On Demand. Comcast has no control over that.

Neither do other cable providers. It is also blocked for customers of those providers and the ones I've talked to don't like it either.

The alternative: for the networks to pull their shows from On Demand. They won't discontinue the practice of ads because the companies pay for the ads to be inserted. The networks are not about to turn down a paying customer. It's all about the money.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
improbable

Does this new block on fast forwarding the "On Demand" content also play havoc with The same content recorded on my DVR. It recently started repeatedly resetting while watching recorded programs.
Visitor
sms14

That may be so that it is up to the Networks.  It seems that my problem may be with Comcast in that the service interruption that happens makes me sit through the on-demand shows now without the option of fast forwarding to the point where I lost the viewing of the show.  Also, watching an episode of Franklin & Bash recorded on our DVR, the last portion of the show (probably 10 minutes)  was not recorded (who knows why - not the first time this has happened).  I can't wait to sit through the first 50 minutes to get to the point that we lost on our Comcast DVR.  Ugh.

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

For those who don't yet know about this, there is working "bypass/workaround" to be able to skip ahead in 5 minute blocks and be able to rewind back.

[How To] Bypass/Workaround On Demand (VOD) Fast Forward Block w/ 5 Minute Skip Button

https://getsatisfaction.com/cim/topics/_how_to_bypass_workaround_on_demand_vod_fast_forward_block_w_...

Visitor
sms14

I completely agree with you that we pay a "premium" price and should have complete access to what we pay for without restrictions I don't even mind the commercials so much. It's when the "premium" service fails us during a show and I am "forced" to watch the same portion of the show all over again to get to the part the "premium" service failed all because fast forward is disabled. FYI the page up button doesn't work either.
Contributor
Fifth313ment

Yeah, Comcast in my area has now blocked 5 minute OnDemand forwarding in my area (South Florida). It sucks as at least with the 5 minute skip ahead you could fast forward if you needed to (eg: DVR messed up or you missed a portion of the show). Now if you miss the end of a show you have to sit through 45+ minutes to get to a few minutes of content. Most people didn't use the 5 minute skip to go through commercials and then back but rather when they needed to get to the end of a show. WTH Comcast?

Also I notice new shows which have just been added have many more commercials than shows which are a week or older. I believe Comcast is already using what that one user posted the link to about dynamic VOD commercials systems. EG: The Great Escape on TNT is 60 minutes for this weeks episode but the show that is over a week or two is 44 minutes as is every show older than that one. I noticed this happens on almost all shows. Some shows that are over a week old will have one or no commercials but shows that are new can have as many as 9+! WTH!?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/480186-CableLabs_VOD_Advertising_Technically_Ready_To_Roll.php

Visitor
sms14

Visitor
sms14

Yeah. My husband says at $225/mo and no fast forward among other problems they are "begging" us to leave. It's not like we don't already pay for the feature. And saying its the networks is a "cop out". Come on. We are tired of everyone trying to figure out how to squeeze another penny out of the consumer. I'm disgusted with having problems with service and the DVR and having to sit through the show all over again. On demand isn't really "on demand" anymore. It's watch what we tell you. Shame on you Comcast. And shame on the Networks too.
New Visitor
woodstock109

Its true about the networks mandating the change. I just switched this week from DirecTv (I moved and had no other options) and they were blocking the fast forward for their on demand shows as well.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

sms, It really is the networks that are disabling fast forwarding in On Demand programming. My daughter has Charter TV/Internet. The same networks that have no fast forward on Comcast don't have it on Charter either.

Neither does Cox-I asked my sister about this one.

Here is the press release about this from ABC.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.aspx?id=20080225abc01

The bottom line is that the ads are money makers for the networks and they are not going to turn down a chance to make money. Comcast and other providers can only show what the networks provide. The alternative is for the tv providers to refuse to carry On Demand programming from those networks. That would not go over well with customers.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Recognized Contributor
JamesJJK

The fact is we are paying customers that pay for a premium service. We pay for OnDemand DVR service and there shouldn't be ANY restrictions.

Does anyone know if Verizon FiOS TV OnDemand has any such restrictions?

New Visitor
myname37

My wife and I specifically do not watch our favorite shows when they air because we just can't stand 41 minutes of show and 20 minutes of commercials.  Now we sit to catch up with three or four programs before we go to bed and what do we find??  That our 41 minute programs on demand are once again 60 minutes because they are jam packed with commercials AND we can't fast forward.  You'd think that for 220 dollars a month we could use the features we pay out the nose for.  Instead I find myself watching netflix all the time.  If it wasn't for horrible Comcast, I would never have known how much I LOVE Breaking Bad, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Parks and Recreation and the list keeps growing. And the kicker is NO COMMERCIALS and 7.99 a month.  When it comes time to watch these shows now, in the new season, I will figure out another way using Hulu, using network websites and using any other service I can find. 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

If you watch them on the network websites you will not be happy when you see the commercials.

The NETWORKS put the ads in the videos, not Comcast or Charter or any other provider.

Contributor
slswyoming

I only care about 2 prime time shows of EVERYTHING on tv.  One is Dancing with the Stars, which I missed last night. So tonight I watched on demand, it's only available for 2 MORE DAYS????

Well, I fell asleep.  So I backed it up to see the part I missed and while it was going in fast reverse, being still  groggy I hit the jump backward instead of play.  Bottom line, now the ONLY WAY I can see the rest of the show is to sit through almost an hour I've already seen?  NO WAY!!  I can't stay up that late and the next 2 nights I can't watch it at all.  So now I'm going to miss the ENTIRE EPISODE because you locked out the forward buttons?   How INFINTESIMALLY STUPID IS THAT?????????????????

Seriously, are you BRAIN DAMAGED???????????????

I'm hauling my box in tomorrow and writing ABC a NASTY LETTER telling them COMCAST stopped me from seeing their show.

You have the most assinign executives on the PLANET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Visitor
sms14

That has been my point all along!  We are forced to re-watch the entire show if something happens to make us miss the end of a show (like my Comcast service going out!).  It's not like we have the extra time to sit through an entire episode AGAIN to get to the part we missed. It's not about the commercials - we've seen them already the first time we watched it.  Fast forward is used for much more than skipping over commercials. Seriously if its all about the commercials for the networks, then block fast forward during the commercials  and give us back fast forward for the rest of the show!!  

Contributor
sd_viewer

"block fast forward during the commercials  and give us back fast forward for the rest of the show!!"

What a GREAT idea!   Can't complain bout that to the lawyers.

New Visitor
woodstock109

You guys still are not getting it are you. COMCAST IS NOT BLOCKING THE FAST FORWARD/REWIND FUNCTION! It is the NETWORKS. The same networks that brought you the show in the first place. Comcast has to PAY the networks for the right to provide you with on demand. Comcast, DirecTv, AT&T, and all the other providers out there have no control over the situation. The networks are going to make you watch the commercials. Just get used to this fact. If you don't like it then get Hulu+ or Netflix.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

So far, at least on shows I have tried, you can use the 5-minute skip (PageUp) to jump 5 minutes ahead. If it's too far, you can rewind back. It will often take less time than watching the commercials.

New Visitor
Beckydaws

I understand that they want us to watch the commercials, and that is fine!  I just want to be able to fast forward the program to the part I want to watch!  I will watch the freakin' commercials, just let me fast forward the show!

Contributor

Why is fast forwarding disabled?

Why is fast forwarding disabled in On Demand?  We pay so much for Comcast, it's really annoying to sit through all the commercials if we want to watch a show.

Contributor

Re: Why is fast forwarding disabled?

Dear Comcast, would you please remove "On Demand" from my account and refund the money I am paying for it every month?  I'm really not interested in a frustrating service that doesn't meet my needs.

:smileysad:

New Visitor

Someone said it is the networks fault, but that is not entirely true. They just don't want you to forward past the actual commercials. Other OnDemand apps like the ABC player on iPad allow you to forward past the portions of the show that are not commercials.. when you get to the commercial portion,  fastforward is disabled and you are forced to watch the commercials. (i say that loosely since i think we all know thats when we press mute and play with our phones for a few minutes.) when the show returns, you get the ability to forward again.

I only find it a problem if its some show I watched half of & then when I go in to finish it, the history of what i've already watched is gone & the show starts from the beginning again. I usually just forget about watching that episode when that happens.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

The issue is that the OnDemand software in the boxes currently does not have the fine control of Internet streaming on a computer-style device.

OnDemand is basically a custom video channel created for you and the box is told to tune into it. The video is sent from Comcast's servers.

Online streaming allows for all sorts of bookmarks and other controls to be embedded.

Contributor
SavartiTN

What a great idea!!! Just get Hulu or Netflix!!! They let you skip forward even if Hulu does make you watch commercials. No need for Comcast at all!!!!

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

As mentioned earlier in the thread (in the first few replies) there's still a fairly decent way to skip forward (and rewind back if needed) when dealing with On Demand content.
New Visitor
Mockoski

I recently subscribed to AT&T UVerse ( till June 10th 2013)and they allowed Fast Forwarding. So it seems to me something more is going on then the simple excuse that this is a restriction placed on cable providers by the networks.
I can understand not allowing fast forwarding through commercials but Comcast should allow us to have some control during the program. I suspect Comcasts cable box has some limitations that the UVERSE cable box doesn't. I just wish Comcast was up front with us on exactly what is causing this issue and that they're working on solutions to help make our user experience more pleasant. Frankly the VOD system is useless for me and we use other options to allow us to catch up on certain shows.
Contributor
SavartiTN

This "work around" no longer works. Comcast has found a way to defeat it. I agree with another poster that it is frustrating that, if you are already watching an On Demand show or had partially watched a show on TV, you can't just go to that point in the On Demand. You have to watch the ENTIRE show. The inability of fast forwarding makes On Demand a lie. Hey! I think that that I am on to something. Comcast! It is false advertising.

Contributor
SavartiTN

Then why do Hulu and Netflix have the capability to fast forward? Your statement makes no sense.

Contributor

The "Pause" and "Page Up" buttons still work fine.  That suggests the On Demand player DOES have individual user memory and CAN control video streaming for each user. 

Comcast used to allow fast-forwarding, but then they took it away.  I also seem to recall that their movies originally did not have ANY commercials.

Sometimes I like to watch a movie just because it's one of my favorites.  The way it's set up now, I might have to wait for an hour or more to reach the scene that I really want to see.  It's much easier to record a movie from broadcast TV, then play it back with all the DVR functions enabled.

Bronze Problem Solver
C_DM

SavartiTN wrote:

This "work around" no longer works. Comcast has found a way to defeat it. I agree with another poster that it is frustrating that, if you are already watching an On Demand show or had partially watched a show on TV, you can't just go to that point in the On Demand. You have to watch the ENTIRE show. The inability of fast forwarding makes On Demand a lie. Hey! I think that that I am on to something. Comcast! It is false advertising.

In what way is Comcast defeating the work arounds?  They still seem to work just fine.

Contributor
SavartiTN

Not in my market.

New Visitor
Dmar30

I feel much the same as you all do that we should be able to fast-forward. You can however skip forward with the Page keys and then rewind to where you left off. Not perfect but its something.
New Visitor
dgauch

This decision, no matter who made it, is incredibly shortsighted.  For Xfinity, crippling previously-available functionality is the perfect way to alienate customers.

I for one will be actively looking for alternatives to this ridiculous approach to customer-friendly programming.

Official Employee

dgauch, it's the networks that provide the content that force commercials and take away the fast forward function, not comcast
Contributor
BionicLungs

@ sms14

I think it really depends on the show as well, besides the network, at least when I watch Under The Dome (CBS) and Revolution (NBC) on On Demand, you can fast forward through commercials.  Now, ABC is another story.  When I watch Once Upon A Time or Once Upon A Time In Wonderland (both on ABC) it's like watching both shows on regular network television and not on On Demand, full commercials, at least on my end, they're usually about 2-3 minutes long.

I honestly don't mind the short commercials, but when they're 2-3 minutes long (almost same as the network) and if I'm not watching anything else, I'll watch the shows on regular network television and not on On Demand.

New Visitor
mstrong72

Good bye On Demand.

Hello Netflix.

New Visitor
WCboy

CBS screwed up the Sunday night programming, making my DVR recordings useless. No problem, I'll watch on demand. No, CBS double-screwed me by eliminating fast forward.

My monthly cable service is now worth less to me.
New Visitor

Comcast does have an option. They are a multi-billion dollar corporation with millions of paying customers. Take that amunition to the networks and tell them where to get off.

sms14 wrote:

Blocking fast forward for On Demand shows, really?  I get it that you want us to watch commercials, but what about those of us who pull up an On Demand show to watch content that was missed on regular television for an outage or the usual HD volume missing issues, or service interruptions.  Now I cannot fast forward to the point in the show where I lost it on regular television.  Oh not to mention when you rewind on the On Demand show to see something you missed, you cannot fast forward back to where you were either!  Crazy solution Comcast came up with - just block a feature consumers have been using for years.  

Contributor

I went to On Demand just now, to see if anything has changed.  Here are the results:

1.  I selected "Parenthood" since it was at the top of the menu.

2.  I selected "Current Season" and the most recent episode.

3.  A message appeared:

Fast Forward and other functionality may

not be available during this program.

4.  I tried Fast Forward -- it was blocked.

5.  I tried the Page Up button.  It jumped me further into the show.

6.  Pressing it repeatedly jumped me forward in five minute intervals.

Okay, well, that's at least something.

7.  Then in the middle of the show, I tried Fast Rewind.

8.  Lo and behold, it worked normally!

So by using the Page Up button followed by the Fast Rewind button, I was able to navigate to any point in the program.

I don't know if this technique works on all other shows or just this one.

New Visitor
wirelesswan

That's a good excuse for 3rd party content, but Comcast/NBC IS both the network and the cable company for lots of shows and does the same exact thing. They bought NBC so it's totally within their control.

I turned in my archaic Comcast DVR/On Demand box and now use a PC with a cable card. I stream on demand shows from the web. Now Comcast credits me a small amount each month per FCC rules since I have my own equipment rather than me paying them for the poor DVR/On Demand offering. The DVR and On Demand via streaming is much better on a PC connected to my big screen than a cable box. Easy season/episode navigation, full keyboard, etc.

I can also skip forward On Demand shows with my PC just fine so long as I watch a commercials or 2 first. It's a little bit of work to setup, but worth it. No monthly DVR fees (small negative fees actually) and I can record 3 shows at once with my HD HomeRun Prime and Windows Media Center. Recording space is limited only by how much I want to spend on hard drives. Media Center also streams out to my XBOX 360 for the full media experience on another TV.

Some day the Cable/Satellite/network/content industry will get a clue that we live in a converged world. Rules and haggling over Broadcast rights, Streaming rights, On Demand Rights, etc. will hopefully go away.

Bronze Star Contributor

I've read many posts here about the page up button, but it doesn't work for me. If I press it, the current timer shows with a circular arrow by it, but it doesn't move forward. I second the option to force us to watch commercials and allow us to fast forward through the rest of it. OD has too many screwups and abortions. When a show screws up in the middle and you have the option of not finishing the show or starting over from the beginning, I always choose option 1. Therefore, I'm not watching the commercials anyway.

New Visitor
hejs

I understand that the networks don't want you to fast forward but the biggest problem is when you accidentally hit a button that rewinds the show then you have to sit through a half hour of the show you just got done watching because you can't fast forward.. Can't that be fixed by comcast it really sucks....
Contributor
BionicLungs

I noticed now that you can fast forward 5 minutes into the program. I never use that function though.

Contributor

I noticed the same thing during the Winter Olympics.  We were watching the opening ceremonies, and there was something I wanted to see again.  (This was during the LIVE broadcast -- not On Demand.)  The pause and rewind were disabled.  Very disappointing!

It made me wish for the good old days of VHS tapes.  At least I could record whatever I wanted, play it back however I wanted, and even share it with family and friends.

Olympic-Rings.png

Bronze Problem Solver
manamok

morykwas wrote:

It made me wish for the good old days of VHS tapes.  At least I could record whatever I wanted, play it back however I wanted, and even share it with family and friends.

Seriously?  I can't imagine anyone thinking the days of VHS tapes were the good old days.

Regular Contributor
virtualpres

morykwas wrote:

I noticed the same thing during the Winter Olympics.  We were watching the opening ceremonies, and there was something I wanted to see again.  (This was during the LIVE broadcast -- not On Demand.)  The pause and rewind were disabled.  Very disappointing!

Olympic-Rings.png

Comcast is REQUIRED to obey the licensing of programming. Some channels and programs require that their content to be unable to use the DVR functionality.

If Comcast went ahead and decided to allow the functionality disregarding the licensing conditions, Comcast would lose their ability to show the channel, and that would be bad for customers.

Contributor

You're right, virtualpres.  ComcastAndrew (an official employee) said the same thing here in October --  it's the networks that provide the content that force commercials and take away the fast forward function, not comcast

I'm just tired of being manipulated so someone can try to squeeze an extra buck out of me.

bag-of-money.jpg

Visitor

I'm going buy a Tivo

http://www.tivo.com

Contributor

Not a bad idea.  It looks like their cheapest model is $200.