Visitor
Phillip_Austin

On Demand not working, told to reset continually?

[ Edited ]

We have had ongoing problems with On Demand and DVR use.   The system freezes on each of our three HD DVR boxes everytime we try and watch On Demand and most times we use the DVR.

Technician came by today and told us this is a software problem, many people have the problem, and we would have to live with the problem.

$200 a month and we cannot use the service we pay for.

Do other the Comcast Customers have the same problems?

Have you also been told to live with the problem and not expect any resolution?

Have you had the problem resolved?  Tell us how.  We live in an area where Comcast has a monopoly and we are paying for the absence of competition in sloppy service and no resolution.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: On Demand not working, told to reset continually?

If you live in a scientific atlanta or cisco market there is a software problem that is likely causing your issue.  It is only in that market.  Comcast is rolling out a patch now through early next year to address the problem. 
Did the tech check your wiring and your signal strength?   The software issue usually affects  the dvr recording capability with programs not recording and shows being cut off if your trying to record two shows. 

Your issue sounds half like software and half like a wiring issue also.  the tech when he was there should have looked over the wiring and tested your signal strength and checked splitters and the outside wiring.  If he just walked in and said software problem and nothing else you need to call comcast and tell them to get someone out there who will do that.  you also should not be charged as the guarantee is they fix it or you don't pay for the call.  If you need more info or want to escalate up to comcast do this.

To get help, you can drop a note to Comcast corporate customer service (we_can_help@cable.comcast.com).

For the quickest response, please include:
Your full name;
Service address;
Phone number & an alternate number if possible;
Account number;
A link to your post

Visitor
Phillip_Austin

[ Edited ]

We do live in a Cisco area - Fairfield county.

We pay for these services - but clearly Comcast is unable to deliver them.

We have phoned, tweeted, emailed and we simply are not getting the trouble resolved.

In the meantime Comcast has no problem charging us full price for DVR and On Demand service.

The technician did check signal strength etc.   There is no wiring problem according to the technician.

Am close to mailing the Attorney General in CT and the Cable Regulator a complaint, as this is simply an unacceptable response and I am sure is not in line the licensing Comcast enjoys in CT.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

YOu need to remove that personal information as this is a user to user forum and your personal info is being viewed by everyone. 

New Visitor
parkr67

this is the topic i came here to find.  i live in a suburb of houston and have friends who live in surrounding suburbs as well as in houston proper.  we all get the same message periodically "unable to process request.  please call customer service at 188comcast."  i get it about once a week, as does everyone i know.  we just assume it's how it is supposed to work.  my problem, which is exhausting, is the call you have to make.  usually you just get a representative who sends a signal and it's all fine.  but sometimes you get the one rep who wants to prove they can get it done.  after 25 minutes on the phone, just now, i have no resolution, other than wanting to just take the box back to the satellite store and throwing it thru the window.  you work your way thru the phone maze like a rat looking for cheese.  only you're paying for the privilege of being the rat.  press one...press two...press two...press the star key.  the message i get from the on demand screen doesn't say, "get a drink, get comfortable, and make the call."  it doesn't promise a half hour of unfulfilling phone exchange.  i'm not cranky that i get the message to call and i'm not cranky that i have to make the call.  what chaps me, is the flaming phone hoops i have to go thru to even be granted the right to talk to someone, who then "prepared scripts" me into a stupor. 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
scorched675

I have the same problem here in Virginia as parkr67, except mine never works.  I am unable to watch any on demand shows.  Not the HBO and Starz that I pay extra for, nor any of the free stuff.  The other non dvr box has constant pixalation, and I mean constant.   If call comunist cast they reset the boxes and it works for a short time but soon goes back to normal.  The tech came to the house checked all the signals, and adjusted a few things got the box that pixalates to better than average signals but it's still doing it.  He told us the signal was already above average on the cisco dvr box that we try to run on demand with.  He goes on to explain there is a known bug in the xfinity code that is causing lots of these issues, but commy cast support keeps sending them out because they don't want to tell the customers its a system wide problem.

So I have twice filed complaints with the FCC and this gets there attention, and I get some really nice lady who truly wants to help but nothing ever gets resolved.  So I go for another month or two and file another complaint, she calls again but still nothing happens. And I will continue to file complaints with the FCC, so their statistics will continue to show how unhappy we are.  I would switch but have ZERO other choices, no DSL for internet around here, no FIOS, too heavily wooded for Dish or Direct TV to work. So,

So, I continue to email my local, state and federal represtatives to break up comcast like they did to AT&T so we can have some fair competition.  And I pay at least 30% more for cable, phone and internet since moving here from a Brighthouse cable system in Florida for worse service, a slower internet speed, and nothing but problems.  It's a real shame Comcast gets away with this monopolistic control of cable around the country.  

Visitor
Phillip_Austin

The latest update - after continually nagging Comcast I raised an actual person who is dealing with me at Comcast Executive Customer Support (yes there is such a thing).   I have a person, and a direct dial number.

Unfortunately this has done nothing to solve the problem.

I now have formal confirmation that Comcast in updating Cisco system software deployed software that is defective.   It cannot be fixed, until new software is written and released next year.

The person at Comcast even cancelled the technician coming to our house as it "would be a waste of your time" for the technician to come to our house as Comcast cannot fix the problem Comcast has caused.

I am writing to the Federal Trade Commission (as the regulator charged with preventing monopolies from behaving in a wway that harms consumers); to our senator in CT - Richard Blumenthal; to our Attorney General in CT and to the CT state regulator which licenses cable providers.

Basically we have no realistic choice as consumers in our area (we have no other fixed line cable, and satellite is not dependable in our wooded areas, and we have no FIOS) , and Comcast is charging for a service that Comcast is not able to or willing to deliver.

I recommend all who are having this problem do the same.  

New Visitor
veeteach

Hello Phillip:

Sounds to me like we have the same problem you're having. Just got HD DVR 2 weeks ago, On Demand worked 1 DAY and now saying feature not available. Called comcast numerous times, they say sending reset, reset, reset. NOTHING is working. Thought next step would be tech; now wondering if they will tell us same thing you were told. We live in comcast monopoly HOA as well. I will probably call a tech on this, but I plan to take this to the media if comcast doesn't make right on this.

New Visitor
parkr67

yes phillip, we're in the same boat.  this week i had to call in three times.  i take as a given that this is how the box and service work, and was told so by two of the comcast techs this week.  the part that is frustrating is when someone goes off script and tries to help.  the only thing that helps, knowing the product is flawed, is to re-power up the box, then resend the signal.  each time i have to call in i'm looking at a fifteen minute phone call, then about thirty for the system to get back to normal.  and that's if they just do what i need them to do and let me get back to it, without all the "we're so sorry, and blah blah blah."  if they were that sorry, they shouldn't have put out a defective product.  i want about zero contact with comcast.  the only reason i have them is because they have been allowed to be a monopoly for some reason.  i guess our payments and fees are going to the lobbists.  i did get a message from whomever at comcast that looks at these messages, but i don't need special service...wires are fine, signals are fine.  box is trash, company is trash, service is trash.  and i'm sure to tell everyone that i can the same.

Contributor
scorched675

Well its funny, but they "fixed" it by reseting my box, and gave me a special number to call whenever I need my box reset to make on demand work. 

They simply don't get it do they!!!  Comcast simply is the worst at delivering true customer service.

I don't want to call someone everytime I want to watch MOD!   I want it to work with having to wait the 15 minutes it takes to call and have them reset it, me to power the box down, and back up again. I find it difficult to believe that people who work there are actually proud to say their employer is Communist Cast.

I simply want the service I pay almost $180 a month for!   It's not just MOD, its the constant pixelation on the other TV, and reliable internet service, so that I can do my work from home instead of always needing to drive to the  local McDonalds or Panera Bread to get wifi!!!  Oh and because I have the comcast internet based phone, if the internet goes out, I have no dial tone.  I have only had this problem since they "upgraded" me to xfinity!  who ever the CTO/CIO or other technical people in charge of this company are should all be fired!

Why can't Verizon seize this opportunity to increase spending to roll out FIOS to more areas?  They would steal every last customer comcast has.

Regular Contributor
shar2649

In addition to the VOD not working and being told to reset continuously....error 7, VM255, CL-7 ad nauseum, then one day it is suddenly perfectly clear and you have on demand...then it's gone as fast as it arrived.  I have thought MANY times about going to satellite but you hear horror stories about that too.  I just know that with the kind of money we are paying monthly that this is totally unacceptable.  Yes, I have had techs here and we all know how good they are NOT.  Additionally I own many Replay DVR's which I want to continue using BECAUSE THEY IN FACT DO WORK.

New Visitor
ragdeseredap

Hi, I'm from Houston area, and I have The same problem for almost a year, and everytime I call them they will reset it, and of course it's not going to work, the next thing they will do is send the technician to your house,

and they will fix the problem, few hours later on demand will be gone showing error 14 which is on there side, so I don't know about you guys I think it is time to move on, plus those ladies on the costumer service are sometimes mean.

Visitor

philip I am with you on this one, how can they charge us full price when we are not able to get the service??? They have a Tch coming to my house this week and I am certain they will walk away doing nothing for me.  I really think we need another digital cable company to come in and take care of all of comcasts problems.

New Visitor
Ltaylr

Had the same problems with VOD. We have a Scientific Atlantic box and was able to reset it by turning off the box, unplugging it, plugging it in, and turning it back on. It took about 10-15mins, but everything works well now. Hope this helps.
Visitor

Exact same thing - 200 dollars a month and I can never get any shows on demand.  Not the free stuff or the hbo and showtime I pay for.  I am thinking of switching services.  Comcast is never responsible for anything and they want to charge their customers to send a tech out.  I think we should all ban comcast!

New Visitor
kdamo

I have the same problem; have to reset everyday. Called customer service was told that the demand service is complimentary there is nothing they can do. How absurd is that for an excuse; because it is complimentary, it does not have to work. Why do they advertise it? I love the Dish commercials about people that get frustrated and have kids with dog collars...it is exactly it. I never experienced such bad service. I am now researching a better way to get  TV and internet; will then cancel Comcast and hopefully never hear from them again.

Visitor
LindaKay102

Posted to another message that we in central Florida are having the same issue.  Agree COMCAST customer service is greatly lacking and it would be nice if they at least spoke English so we could get across to them that we are unhappy with COMCAST all around.  I wanted to report a possible spam email a couple of months ago supposedly from COMCAST asking for my account information, SSN, etc. but the customer service rep could not understand what I was trying to tell her.  If I had a choice would drop COMCAST in a flash.  The customer service and equipment for the $200 a month we pay is a rip off.

Recognized Contributor
MissyLaneous

Call and request (insist on) a tech visit.

For phising emails, cut and paste the entire message (including headers) to abuse@comcast.net and put Phishing email in the subject line.

I do so wish those Comcast agents would stop reading scripts and listen to what the customer is saying.

LindaKay102

From central FL:  We have had the technicians out many times over the past 1 1/2 years.  Even had the maintenance tech check the box's signal and believe he checked the line outside the house the last visit and he said it was ok.  ON DEMAND still goes out on us at least once a week.

New Visitor
gobeth

started keeping an OnDemand reset log.  Tried and had to reset OnDemand Feb 12, 19, 23,24,25.  And March 1.  Do not try to watch everyday, but it seems like whenever I want to watch it, it must be reset first.  Talked to a support person several times, have been repeatedly told that having to reset onDemand so often is unusual.  I don't think so.  I think it is a Comcast problem.  Friends who have Wow do not seem to have this issue as often as I do.

Visitor
LindaKay102

I also have decided to start a log and everytime ON DEMAND isn't working I want to subtract some $$$ from my $200 bill which will be going up again on 1 Apr 12 when COMCAST raise their prices.  Getting so it isn't worth the cost for am paying for channels that I don't even watch.  Wish our bill was pro-rated to just the channels that we watch. Won't be able to afford to watch TV one of these days.

New Visitor
sparklysarie

I feel like mine has never worked. Every time I have tried to use it, it's very slow, freezes and then FINALLY it says "unable to process request". I have called several times and they tell me to reset it. Which does nothing I eventually give up. It's very annoying.

New Visitor
sparklysarie

I feel like mine has never worked. Every time I have tried to use it, it's very slow, freezes and then FINALLY it says "unable to process request". I have called several times and they tell me to reset it. Which does nothing I eventually give up. It's very annoying. And I live in the city.

Regular Visitor

We have come to the conclusion that "On Demand" is useless and will never work. Changed boxes, unplugged, plugged, chatted with Customer Service so that they can send a "signal" to the three out of our four boxes we currently have that don't work.

Now they say they have to send a technician.This is beyond aggravating.

Verizon is in our town as well. Looks like I may be calling them.

New Visitor
New Visitor
dxc

[ Edited ]

Hi! 

I have been having the same problem consistently for weeks.  Actually, scratch that, for the last two years.  I just got tired of calling so, every time I want to watch TV or use OnDemand I have to turn the box on and off.  The first box I had was horrible.  Then the box was switched out, and we got an old dented very lived with box.  The problems were slightly better.  They were better enough for me to ignore. 

For the last month, they have become unbearable.  I have been calling consistently, emailed, and did the online chat.  I have had no success.  I am now on box 3.  This one is even older than the last one and doesn't even say comcast.  Although the technician that came out was very nice, I did ask him about the box.  Is this a new box?  Even though, right at that moment it looked like all the energy was sucked out of his body, he tried to keep a smile and said,  No, it's refurbished.  Then he proceeded to go on with what seemed a very practiced explanation that comcast does not have any new boxes etc....  During the setup, he had trouble setting up the OnDemand.  Shocker...

Well, now with BOX 3, I'm still having the same problems. . .  Any suggestions?   ?    ? 

I do find it curious. . . The service always works during the previews about the customer service guarantee. . .  It never seems to fail during those. . .

FYI - I am in VA and I'm 100% sure that resetting the box, isn't going to work. . . for the millionth time. . .

New Visitor
spv75

EVERY TIME we use On-Demand we get an error, EVERY SINGLE TIME. We have to reset the box and wait and wait. It seems like a worthless feature because it never works right and we cannot even watch all of the content even though we get the channels live. Not a very good system, yet Comcast will tell you that they have the most On-Demand programs, but they don't tell you that you will spend more time speaking with customer service or unplugging your machine than actually watching shows.

Contributor
shelle12

This is our 3rd box - we've done the chat, signals sent, unplugging, and yesterday we had a tech come out - guess what - NOTHING HELPED! Like I said, yesterday we had the tech come out, and a few hours later, we were back to the same issues.

Visitor
chestnut212

We live in the Philly suburbs and have had Comcast TV and Internet for years, but didn't get an HD TV until several months ago. I called Customer Service to ask why we weren't getting HD quality, and was told to go to our local Comcast office to switch the box out. Even after that, the quality was very bad. We've also have had issues with On Demand not working off and on. In the past two weeks it hasn't worked at all, and I've called Customer Service 4 times. A technician has come to our house twice. On the first visit, the tech got our HD service working. He said there was some problem with outside hardware. After that visit, the On Demand still didn't work, so another Tech was sent and he told us that there were problems with the software on that particular cable box, so he gave us a new box. He said it would take 12 - 24 hours for the box to come online with On Demand. After 2 days, On Demand still isn't working. Called Customer Service again this morning, and they are sending another tech out tomorrow. I have a feeling this will never be resolved. Customer Service has NEVER been able to send a signal to our box!!! I am going to start shopping for another provider.

Contributor
scorched675

chestnut212... want to get communicast's attention. Go to the fcc site to file for a consumer complaint. They seem to take those pretty seriously at the executive level. Just be aware, they will try and use simple tactics to get you to say it has been resolved. They do this to be able to close the case #'s with the FCC, which usually requires a written response back to the FCC, and they are supposed to give you a duplicate when responding. But don't cave in, and make sure to state your demands very clear. There is a reason comcast is in consumerists.com yearly award for worst company in America, and now you know why. It's not the people really, they do seem to want to help, but the company in general is publicly traded and by law their obligation is not to you, its to the share holder.
Visitor
chestnut212

Thanks for the tip, scorched675. The latest service call was a failure, so I will file a complaint with the FCC.

New Visitor
joseph_collina

Comcast phone service people have a script which includes, “Check all connections, we are sending a refresh signal to your box(es), and unplug your box then allow it to reboot, and wait, etc.” This is all nonsense that is designed to save Comcast the cost of renting out new boxes ($240 each). Comcast rents its old model and returned boxes. Insist on a new model box and refuse to settle for less. Your problems will disappear.

Contributor
jmariel777

got my third box installed in 2 weeks. OnDemand not working. This company is a joke. Can't ait to speak to a Comcast Exec tomorrow. Guess i'm going to fios.

New Visitor

You may notice that this discussion, and many like it, has been going on literally for years and that basically Comcast doesn't seem to care. You are lucky if you have the option of another provider. Many communities do not. Like so many others I have the same problem and will demand a new box when the service person comes today (everything else has already been tried). I am pessimistic that this will do anything. An interesting aside to all this: When I complained that I would like a rebate on my monthly fee for the time that on demand hasn't worked, the answer was that this is not possible since On Demand is "free" with my package and therefore no rebate. This is like if you bought a car and the motor didn't work and they told you it wasn't covered because the motor was an extra that came "free" with the car.

<script id="ncoEventScript" type="text/javascript">// function DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) { object.DOMContentLoaded(browserID, tabId, isTop, url);} }; function Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Nav(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, isBool, url); }; function NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.NavigateComplete(BrowserID, TabID, isTop, url); } function Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url) { var object = document.getElementById("cosymantecnisbfw"); if(null != object) object.Submit(browserID, tabID, target, url); }; // </script>
Visitor

We are having the same problem.  We gave up cable tv because Comcast kept raising our rate and the service did not justify the rate.  Unfortunately, like many people, we have no other choice for internet service.  Comcast recently called us with a deal that included cable tv with an internet speed increase.  What wasn't mentioned was that we would have to upgrade our modem, which luckily we can purchase, and that our "free" cable box didn't allow us to get HD picture quality. In fact, the quality of the picture is awful.  We do much better with our tv that is hooked to our antenna. 

Prior to getting rid of cable, our On Demand service worked just fine.  However, we have to continually power cycle and reset our box to get it to work for maybe 1 or 2 kid shows.  Wish the government would break up the Comcast monopoly.

We are probably going to return the box and go back to our "slower" internet speed.  Without spending additional money on a new high speed modem, we are not seeing much of a difference in speed.  Too bad the kids won't be able to watch Disney.  I wish there were some other way for them to watch the Disney tv shows, since that is really the only reason we wanted cable.