New Visitor
bajones238

On Demand "error 7"

It has been one week, and after a tech visit and numerous "chat" sessions with Customer Support, I am now told that there is apparently no way to get On Demand working, due to a "widespread issue" in my area. Can anyone tell me when this problem will be solved?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: On Demand "error 7"

I had that happen once. According to the Wikibook, if it's CL-7, it means "Invalid Parameter". In my case, I just rebooted the box (unplug, wait a few seconds, plug it back in. Wait about 15-20 minutes before trying OnDemand.).

New Visitor
bajones238

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried the reboot but am still getting "error 7".  As I understand i, there is a system-wide problem with Comcast in this area.

I appreciate the help.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I found this regarding Error 7.

Error 7 indicates a weak or degraded signal going into the Set Top Box. This error message is generated when there is a loose or bad connection going from the wall jack to the back of the cable box.

Power-cycle the cable box. This is done by unplugging the cable box. Once unplugged take the coaxial from the back of the STB as well as the wall jack, inspect the coax cable and make sure there is no physical damage. Check the center conductor, the middle pin at each end of the cable to make sure it's not bent and that nothing is touching the pin. Once inspected push center pin in wall jack as far as it will go then screw to tighten. Make sure you reconnect the cable to the Cable In/RF on the back of your STB.

If this fails to resolve the "Error 7" message your degraded signal is more than likely coming from the outside.

http://www.squidoo.com/comcast_errors#module960281​01

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

New Visitor
bajones238

Have cycled the box numerous times.  A Comcast tech came to the house and ran new coax to the box.  Still getting "error 7".  Is there no solution to this problem?

New Visitor
bajones238

I notice on other similar threads the problem has been referred to the "regional office"  Any chance the "regional office" could look into my issue?  One month later - still no On Demand, only "error 7".

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I'm reporting this to the forum admin, who can contact your regional office. Please check back for his reply.

He may need more info from you in order to contact the correct region.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Retired Administrator
CC_Dete

I will have someone look into this and get back to you.

Just 'Dete'
Retired Help Forums Admin
New Visitor
bajones238

All fixed as of Friday - I don't know how you did it, but thanks Comcast!

New Visitor
pockyme

Ugh, my On Demand is still getting an "Error 7."  I'm on my second round with live chat and after this, i'm calling.  Is there a charge for someone to come out and fix it?  I hope not cause that would be ridiculous!

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

There is normally no charge to fix issues with the hardware or outside issues.  if it's caused by the inside wiring, it depends on what the tech finds and how he codes the job, so be nice to him. 

Since the inside wiring is owned by the homeowner, if it's a inside wiring issue, there is a possibliity of a flat rate repair charge of around $30, but again, it varies on what the tech finds.

Normally a error 7 no IP would not be a inside wiring issue.

New Visitor
pockyme

Awesome. I'm thinking it has to do with the outside connection cause it's both of my boxes. Thanks for the reply!
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

New Visitor
marko1970

I realize it's been a little while since this discussion was active, but I've been a Comcast / Xfinity customer for 6 months now.

I've noticed a frequent disruption in the On Demand function  of my package.

"Error 7" is coming up.  There's no telling how long it will last, or how soon it will magically go back to working.   It's a frequent occurence, and seemingly completely random.

Nobody has an explanation, & the "customer service chat" is a total waste of time.  

45 minutes sitting in front of my computer, and all I could get was "Unplug the box & wait one minute...then plug it back in".

Really!!!???!!!??? 

I tried that BEFORE I even tried contacting a tech.....   AAAAARRRGGHHH!!

Even the 2 main "dish" providers were bettter over-all, when it came to service & reliability..... except for inclimate weather.  Then, I was at the mercy of "Mother Nature" for the duration of the storm...... But at least I knew it would EVENTUALLY correct itself..... Unlike this error I keep getting, for no reason.

By the way, HOW MUCH am I paying each month???

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

you probably have a signal issue at your house and need a tech to check.  that is what the majority probles with on demand are. 

New Visitor

I had the same error 7 message, which one of the other responders informed us means a weak or degraded signal to the set top box.

When there are splitters in use (without amplification) there is a "somewhat" loss of signal strength. Multiple splitters, like I had (one spliitter for the DVD player and the other for cable internet), was enough to cause this error7 message.

MY solution was to disconnect the DVD player (since I have streaming and can view all DVDs on my computer).

That "measurable" gain in signal strength, making sure all connections are not loose, AND removing the power from the cable box while I did this tweak (about 8 minutes - but you only need maybe 2 minutes) cleaned up MY problem. I reconnected, received a message that "on demand" would be available shortly, which took maybe 3-5 minutes, and voila'- - - I now have a working "on demand", and without a service call.

I hope this works for several other people who explore this forum.

New Visitor
lalitpat

I just call Comcast and was told it was a national problem due to a change in technology. She said technicians were working on it, but did not know when it would be/ is expected to be fixed.

New Visitor
turbineguy

It is sad because in the last 6 months I have disconnected, reconnected, waited 5 minutes,,, and came to conclusion I just don't need to give Comcast any more money.... maybe the dish is the answer.... I did get better luck with on line chat (if you use your cell phone you will run out of minutes on your plan).... and they said bring the box to region office.   4 lines for city of Florence (ha).... any rate, the lady there in thier own office with new box got error 7...the answer  "just go home with new box and give it a few minutes"   it worked the first time  and as usual it did not the second time....

Comcast needs to wear a mask over thier face and the robbery will be complete....

can anybody tell me which Dish company is the best....???

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

[ Edited ]

its not a national issue due to technology.   on demand issues are normally signal or box related issues at your home and need to have a tech come out to investigate. YOu need to call and get that done as a starting point.

also make sure when you call you make sure you have the vod codes entered on your account.  If they are not there you will never get it.

Visitor

I am just getting this problem today.  I refused to have a tech visit because I live in an old 6-story apartment building, and I don't want to have to pay for the visit if it has to do with "inside wiring" which is not my fault, but the fault of an old building with old cable jacks.  At least I now know the inconsistency of on-demand and error 7 is not unique.  I will just go back to recording programs again.

New Visitor
turbineguy

Ok guys I was as big a critic as anyone with putting up with this for 6 whole months.... and finally got an online chat with a tech who cares..... they stated they did all they could do and would it be ok to send a tech to the residence and if in face it was "not operator head space Issue" then Comcast would cover it...

Tech came to house, seen first hand the problem., put a meter on the incoming cable...then told me 30 minutes it would be fine... Next thing I see him on ladder running new and seperate cable to house... fixed... and fixed and fixed.... he did not say exactly what the issue was (ie signal weak or signal loss)  but just told me that the ON DEMAND cable was dedicated to just ON DEMAND....no additional charge to cable bill or charge for "repair"...

I don't have it anymore...

Visitor

Heartening to hear that you got a tech visit, and were not charged for the weak signal - though not sure how they deal with it in a building with 30 apartments.  Well, I think I will go exhange my box today, and if no improvement I will consider a tech visit.  All this info is quite helpful.

New Visitor
AshleaWest

it means your box does not have an ip adress due to an outage or possibly even a splitter