New Visitor
haspert

Parental Controls/Purchase Pins

I want to restrict the purchase of pay programs by my 6yr old who is very savvy with the comcast remote.  The guide suggests setting a Purchase PIN to prevent unauthorized ordering BUT though i followed the instructions, it appears I don't have that particular option, I only can set a parental lock.  I don't want to restricy him from watching the kids show, i just don't want him to purchase them.  Is there a reason the purchase pin feature isn't avaiable to me with the Motorola box?  Any other suggestions? 

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Parental Controls/Purchase Pins

[ Edited ]

How can I prevent the activation of PPV ordering?

You can either lock out the channel numbers for PPV using the parental control lock or you can call your local cable office and request that we lock out the PPV function from your account.

Please note that locking out the channel does not always prevent ordering of PPV programs; however it will block viewing that specific channel.  It is suggested that you set a Purchase PIN on each set-top box in your home to prevent unauthorized ordering. 

Can I set up codes to block the unwanted purchase of Pay-Per-View and pay On Demand programs?

Yes.  You may restrict the purchase of pay programs with a separate Purchase PIN.  Once a purchase PIN is set, it will be required to view a pay On Demand or Pay-Per-View program, regardless of the rating. 

To set up a Purchase PIN, press the Menu button on the remote, and select the Home icon to display the Main Menu (the Home icon is the first icon on the left with the picture of a house on it).  From the Main Menu, select Setup.   When the next screen appears, highlight and select PINs Setup.  On this screen, you can create a four-digit Purchase PIN, for preventing the unwanted purchase of pay On Demand or Pay-per-View programs.

To order a movie, one must first select BUY when looking at the movie description.

After selecting BUY, another dialog opens. The selection will be Order or Don't Order.

If someone chooses order, he/she will be asked for the pin. If incorrect, the message will be INCORRECT PIN ENTRY. Please enter again.

You can test to see if it's set up correctly. I suggest you choose the Kids section of On Demand, then Movies. Find a $2.99 movie, go through the process. IF for some reason it doesn't work, and the movie is ordered, call Comcast immediately. Explain that you set up the purchase pin and it didn't work.

Have the charge removed from your bill.

It should work if set up according to the instructions.

I also found THIS, where I mention what I found out about calling Comcast to order PPV. It has been awhile since the post was made, so I don't know if it still applies.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.