Contributor
msmigiel
Accepted Solution

What does "Free with Subscription" mean?

Hi all,

I'm browsing On Demand and I see some are marked Free and some are marked Free with Subscription. What does that mean exactly? If I watch it, will I be charged?

Specfically, I am looking at a show on Comedy Central, which I can normally watch. In the On Demand section, it is listed as Free with Subscription.

Thanks for any info.

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Re: What does "Free with Subscription" mean?

It means that you can watch it On Demand if it's part of your package.  So you should be able to watch the On Demand show from Comedy Central without charge if you have the Comedy Central channel in your package.  You don't have to worry about being charged for shows marked like this, since you wouldn't even be able to view them unless you were a subscriber.

Visitor
REDZONE25

[ Edited ]

It means that you can watch On Demand if it's part of your package such as Digital Starter and above. But lets just say you wish to watch a movie on Showtime, HBO, Cinemax on demand, if you are not subscribed to any of these premium subscription, you will not have access to it. You need to subscribe to it. 

Contributor
msmigiel

Thanks guys for the replies. I figured it was something like that but I wasn't sure.

Why do some shows just say Free and others are Free with Subscription? It doesn't seem to be tied to any one channel. Is it that some shows are free regardless if you have access to that channel and some are not?

Cable Expert
WarEagle57

Yes, and then there are some channels everyone gets, so of course their On Demand programs are free to everyone.

Contributor
delmdelm2

Thank you that answer but I just want to clarify.  On Demand has some that say "Free With Subscription"  but then the button at the bottom says "buy"

So if we are not subscribed to that channel, hitting the "buy" button wouldn't do anything?

I guess I want to make sure just what I would be "buy"ing.  I thought maybe by pushing on buy you would add that channel to my package making it even more costly as opposed to a one-time buy.

Thank you

Contributor

Let's say you subscribe to one of the movie channels - HBO, Showtime, etc....  Any movie or show on those channels would be Free to you.  So if you have a subscribtion for HBO...then "Free with Subscription" would me you can view the content.

If you don't have HBO and click the the "buy" button...it may tell you to call an 800 number to add the service or it may ask you if you want to add the service thus giving you the option to opt in or out.  At least that's what it did for me several years ago.  May have changed now.

Contributor

msmigiel wrote:

Hi all,

I'm browsing On Demand and I see some are marked Free and some are marked Free with Subscription. What does that mean exactly? If I watch it, will I be charged?

-------------

"Free" means you MIGHT be able to view VOD if Comcast's video servers are not overtaxed.

At least that was what I was told by a customer service rep last evening when I could not access on demand shows which I normally can access via VOD.

I guess one could argue that although Comcast markets its services as including VOD for free, what they really mean is VOD "when it works."

A solutioon would be to increase the capacity of its servers so that customers could receive the services that are advertised - regradless that VOD is "free."

New Visitor
meyerink

then why does it say buy?

Regular Contributor

That's not true though. There are several shows on VOD that are from networks that I've always gotten as part of my subscritpion package, yet they have a $ sign by them indicating that I'll have to subscribe and pay extra to view them. This has always been a problem with Comcast VOD. 

For instance, I get the FX network in both standard and HD, but FX programming in the VOD menu all has a $ sign beside them. If I try to view them, I'll actually have to pay extra. Makes no sense at all.