Contributor
narvaezm

i get an error 7 message when trying to access on demand everytime

i've had comcast for at least  2 months already and still havent been able to watch on demand i tried uplugging the box and nothing 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: i get an error 7 message when trying to access on demand everytime

[ Edited ]

Please phone into Comcast support for help, they will step through the troubleshooting steps including sending a signal to the box, and decide if a tech needs to come out or not.

Make sure you have recently unplugged - waited a minute and resplugged your set top box.  Check that all F connectors are snug on the box and at the TV outlet, and that you are not routing your coaxial cable through any AC surge protector strips.

Contributor
narvaezm

well after posting  i took some time to call customer service they worked with me and told me to do a power cycle on it and then they sent signals to the box so now im patiently waiting to see what happens

Contributor
narvaezm

after waiting it showed just saying this channel will be shortly available but after it just took me to the same error 7 message so no luck yet

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

I found this concerning error 7:

Error 7 indicates a weak or degraded signal going into the Set Top Box. This error message is generated when there is a loose or bad connection going from the wall jack to the back of the cable box.

Power-cycle the cable box. This is done by unplugging the cable box. Once unplugged take the coaxial from the back of the STB as well as the wall jack, inspect the coax cable and make sure there is no physical damage. Check the center conductor, the middle pin at each end of the cable to make sure it's not bent and that nothing is touching the pin. Once inspected push center pin in wall jack as far as it will go then screw to tighten. Make sure you reconnect the cable to the Cable In/RF on the back of your STB.

If this fails to resolve the "Error 7" message your degraded signal is more than likely coming from the outside.
Not sure if this applies to you, since you get the message only when trying to access On Demand.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
narvaezm

ok will try the proper procedures will update this post

Contributor
narvaezm

[ Edited ]

ok so i check all my cables i did the power cycle again and waited once more i got to the screen where it said  channel will be available shorty then gave it a few minutes more and it got to where it says to activate on demand press ok i press it and it gives me the same error 7 code does this mean my package doesnt bring on demand but i got digital starter ?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

More than likely you are having some signal issues that need a tech visit.  Most times it is an outside issue with the drop cable and fittings, and can be from temperature changes and moisture or damage to the drop cable.  It can certainly be with inside wiring and splitters too, especially if the splitters are mounted outside.

On Demand issues are more common and complicated due to the many downstream video channels involved, the out of band control channel, and the need for a good upstream channel to talk back to the system.  There are many pieces that can fail and break On Demand.

Calling Comcast back, they should schedule a tech visit to find and fix the issue.

If you get a hassle from Comcast on a tech visit, then post back and it can be escalated.

Contributor
narvaezm

ok i will try to see if i can schedule a tech visit within this week so i can give you any information if the problem was solved or not

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

We will be glad to learn what the tech finds if he needs to come out.

Contributor
narvaezm

well after trying to get a appointment with a tech visit the person on the phone with me get it another go and sent hits to the cable box and now its running so yeap i didnt have to have a tech visit after all 

New Visitor
Moirainez

I am having a similar issue and have been on hold for twenty minutes.