Recognized Contributor

making us watch commercials on demand?

Why?

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Re: making us watch commercials on demand?

Comcast just passs on what the media companies send them. It's up to them whether they want to put in commercials. Basically, if it's "Free", especially to all users (not a premium channel), then why are you surprised there are commercials?

Just avoid Fox and ABC, where they have disabled fast-forward so you MUST watch the commercials.

Recognized Contributor

but cops is my favorite show.

Email Expert

andyross wrote:

Just avoid Fox and ABC, where they have disabled fast-forward so you MUST watch the commercials.

Have they also tied you to your chair so you can't go to the rest room, kitchen, etc.? :smileyhappy:

Visitor

My opinion goes like this: The result of millions of people watching millions of commercials, is that these same people then go out and spend literally billions of dollars annually.

With this in mind, one could make the case that we should be charging them for the privelage to even beam all this garbage into our homes, let alone actually paying them for this "service".

The programs are the quid pro quo - produce some quality shows and maybe, just maybe, we'll agree to watch hour upon hour of stultifying, moronic, mind numbing commercials.

When the question has, at this point, become why can't we even fast forward through commercials, I've gotta figure our collective goose is cooked.

Email Expert

They see the quid pro quo the other way: watch our commercials, and maybe, just maybe, we'll pay the networks to produce the shows they're contained in.

New Visitor
mehay

Taking away the fast forward button on ON DEMAND is another Example of Corporate GREED. . Should be renamed to FORCED TO WATCH. Soon they will increase the commercial time like regular TV. Then I am out.

Visitor

[ Edited ]

VOD is the future but I will never pay for a service that blocks fast forward and force feeds commercials--that I expect for free.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

on demand is free. 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

[ Edited ]

All,
At the present time some networks have requested that the fast forwarding be disabled to allow their full commercial advertising to play. Not all networks are affected but as of May 2011 Fox and ABC networks are the first to  have fast forwarding disabled.
This doesn't affect your DVR recordings.  

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
MissMoss

Funny thing...my old DVR conveniently broke, then Comcast "gave" us a new one which requires that we watch commercials OnDemand now.  Coincidence??  I think not.  This has RUINED my OnDemand experience and I will NOT be watching OnDemand with commercials.  The WHOLE reason I have the DVR is to bypass commercials.  I wouldn't have had to watch OnDemand, except all of my programming was lost when they took away my old DVR.  This is really bad.  Before long, will Comcast be disabling the fast forward feature on our recorded shows as well?  Just watch.  And then watch your customers leave in droves.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

??? I don't see how a different DVR will affect you seeing commercials. The box is nothing but an interface. it may be that the shows or movies you are watching changed at about the same time.

New Visitor
sacrificial

I think everyone here is saying the same thing to COMCAST.

Figure it out. We pay to have the experience of ON-DEMAND. We are DEMANDING that you eliminate the "NON-FAST FORWARD" agreements that you have made. This is holding your audience captive and not the convenience that this experience was created for.

What is next? Commercials that won't allow you to MUTE them? If these companies requested COMCAST to temporarily disable the MUTE button on COMCAST remotes, and they could, would COMCAST do it?

This is about GREED! How much more will our COMMERCIAL SPONSORS pay us (COMCAST) if we keep the CUSTOMER captive???

Very disapppointing COMCAST. You should be ashamed!!

New Visitor
mtpratt

I think if everyone complains about it to comcast they will change it back.  ABSOLUTELY REDICULOUS!!!!  I PAY YOU COMCAST!!  YOU DONT PAY ME!!!! I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER!!!!!

Bronze Star Contributor

Why is everyone yelling at Comcast?  It's not their fault nor is it nec. their choice to not allow FF on Fox ABC content.  That is strictly Fox and ABC's issue.  Yell at them not Comcast....

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

Here is how I get around not being able to fast forward through the one show I watch on Fox On Demand if I forget to set it up to record on Friday night.

When the commercial starts I use the 5 minute skip, which puts me into the segment after the commercial. I then hit rewind to get back to beginning of the segment.

I suspect if Comcast DEMANDED that the fast forward be enabled, Fox and ABC would pull their networks from Comcast On Demand. We spent a few years seeing posts by people who wanted ABC available On Demand and if Comcast no longer had them the uproar would be loud.

FWIW FF is disabled for customers of other cable companies also.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

In a related story, ABC may follow Fox in putting an 8-day delay on 'free' on-line viewing. If you want to watch a show, you will need to either: Record it live, be a cable subscriber and watch the sucky SD-only FF-disabled OnDemand, or pay to watch it on Hulu+ (which I assume still has unskippable commercials??)

Bronze Star Contributor

ABC doesn't have an HD On Demand?  I'm pretty sure I have it...now you have me wondering...

Visitor

Let's see, Comcast develops Xfinity VOD service to keep customers from moving to other media distribution options. Comcast buys NBC and now owns distribution and content.  ABC & FOX have a problem with that and screw with Comcast's distribution of their content.  Comcast blames ABC & FOX for the lousy VOD service.  Well, who are the Comcast customers who demanded the NBC acquisition?  Who is shocked with the blow-back from NBC's content competitors since?  When will we learn that the only people who benefit from major mergers are a few executives and major shareholders?  Customer's suffer and employee's get laid off. 

Now that Comcast owns NBC, they should pay a premium to distribute competing content in order to maintain services to cable customers.  If these costs are passed on to Comcast customers or if service continues to suffer, we will choose other content distribution options.  How motivated we are, one way or the other, is being decided right now.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Flapalms239 wrote:

ABC doesn't have an HD On Demand?  I'm pretty sure I have it...now you have me wondering...

At least here in the Chicago area, ABC and Fox OnDemand are NOT in HD. My guess is availability may depend on whether the local station will allow the 'competition' or not. Both are O&O (Owned & Operated) by Disney and Fox here.

Bronze Star Contributor

andyross wrote:

Flapalms239 wrote:

At least here in the Chicago area, ABC and Fox OnDemand are NOT in HD. My guess is availability may depend on whether the local station will allow the 'competition' or not. Both are O&O (Owned & Operated) by Disney and Fox here.

That's interesting Andyross...it would be great if they could streamline things a little better...

New Visitor
Slconline

I watch one show on VOD and it is a Fox show. I started watching an episode this week and had to leave with fifteen minutes left, wanted to finish it before the new watching the new episode today. Obviously can't fast forward to the end. I just tried the five minute skip referenced - it worked the first time, the second time I pushe page up the 'no fast forward' message popped up and the show restated to the beginning. I had already watched fifteen minutes while reading these posts, so now I have to watch the same fifteen minutes again, plus the 45 mins i had already watched.

When you skip forward in an online show on CBS you get commercials before the restart. Fox should consider this as an option. They show the same commercials every break anyway. I've seen BluTax, Bones and House over and over.
Silver Problem Solver
andyross

Flapalms239 wrote:

andyross wrote:

Flapalms239 wrote:

That's interesting Andyross...it would be great if they could streamline things a little better...

I just noticed that they finally added HD for ABC and Fox a week or so ago.

Regular Contributor

On demand is free ?  LOL!  Now there's a myth for you.  If you really believe that to be true then just call Comcast up and tell them "On Demand" is the only service you're interested in and you'd like to cancel everything else.  Free ?  LOL

Email Expert

In this case, "free" means "at no additional cost". It's like "buy one, get one free".

Regular Contributor
nla318

The only commercials I've been seeing are promos for other shows on the same network. This has happened on CBS and the fast forward works...

but by time the slow machine recognizes that I've pushed the button, then hit play, it is usually fast forwarding past the actual show. I just tap FF then play and it usually gets past most of it.  If I don't it will like I said cut into the show.

New Visitor
alricsca

If as you say they requested that you block fast forwarding I would suggest you deny that request. Networks have nowhere else to go for long if your company does not. The first time I saw that I could not fast forward VOD, I thought it was a problem with the control or DVR. I almost called for service. When I realized it was deliberate, I turned off the television and left the room. I have barely used on demand for a month now. I am considering switching to Netflix. As for the whole notion of the content being free. Consider this, when they broadcast this content with commercials, I may record  it and then choose to skip the or not. They get paid for it by their advertisers regardless. I have been able to do this for years. When I watch on demand, if the commercials is relevant, sometimes I watch it. When it is not relevant or when I am not in the mood to watch them I fast forward. When I do not feel the commercials is relevant or I want to fast forward and I cannot several things happen. I consciously despise whatever I am forced to view, I hit the mute button, and if the show is not worth it I turn it off. The networks and the advertisers have deal with this ability in recorded content since before the first DVR. With the DVR it became possible to do it in near real time but it was not some new magical feature, the networks still make money and as people still watch ads on occasion and product placement can still proceed. Shoot for that matter, if they simply start the show with a brought to you buy in the opening credits I would be fine, as long as it does not delay the show. Last I checked I pay for VOD with my cable bill, I do view the ads on occasion, and product placement still occurs so stop stating that the content it free as that is categorically false. For your company to decide to force people to watch is not only a step backward, it is counter productive. If you are going to offer VOD, I suggest you either pay for the skipping or tell the networks you do not accept content that forces the consumer to view commercials. Keep in mind that ANY time I feel compelled to do something I do not want to I am going to associate whom ever has done this with negative feelings. That includes the network, the advertiser, and the provider. I want you to consider this, never have I been so annoyed with something related to your service that I have turned off the TV and left the room. Do you really want consumers to feel this way given their are options that are nearly the same cost that do not have such limitations?

Email Expert

alricsca wrote:

If as you say they requested that you block fast forwarding I would suggest you deny that request. Networks have nowhere else to go for long if your company does not.

That's nonsense. They can go back to the way it was a few months ago, not making their programs available on demand at all.

Contributor
leopardfeet

What happened to fast forward

What the heck happened to fast forward on most of the on demand TV network shows. Shows on TNT, ABC,NBC and others now you have to sit and watch all the commercials why watch it on demand you might as well watch it when it's on even if you DVR it you get the ads. How about making fast forward an option again.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: What happened to fast forward

FF being disabled is a feature that the network puts into the show not comcast.  If you want to FF it DVR it and then FF it.

Contributor
leopardfeet

It's basically a convenience factor,  I own 2 of my own DVD recorders and players that have tuners in them which Comcast made virtually obsolete being that you can only get channels 1-22 or you have to watch what you tape. So sometimes I'm just to lazy to go get the DVD and would like to watch ON DEMAND and once you get used to having a feature you would usually like to maintain that ability.

Silver Problem Solver
andyross

[ Edited ]

You can semi-cheat (unless it's also been disabled), by using PgUp (or is it PgDn?) to skip ahead 5 minutes, then, if needed, rewinding back. The rewind is slow, but it may still be faster than sitting through the commerical(s).

It started with ABC and Fox, and now is spreading like wildfire. I don't think it'll be too long before they start using broadcast codes to disable it on DVR recordings, too.

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

if FF is disabled is disabled for all kinds of FF.   networks are losing revenue by you ff through ads so they want you to watch them.  so you have two choices.  you watch the show with no FF or you don't watch it at all.   get a dvr and you won't have the issue.

Contributor
leopardfeet

Thanks for the cheat I'll give it a try to see if that helps my laziness.

Regular Contributor
swingingby

I watch on demand a lot and I am sick of  ABC's ads since they are so repetitive, most of them for movies made by Disney. 

As for Fox, every 5 minutes of show means 5 minutes of ads!! I tried to watch Alcatraz and finally turned it off.

I feel I am paying for a service that should allow me to watch shows with fewer or no commercials.  My rates are high enough!:smileyangry:

Regular Contributor

"I feel I am paying for a service that should allow me to watch shows with fewer or no commercials"

That's exactly the way I feel,  especially since they've made it virtually impossible for us to use our own VCR / DVD recorders to record the content WE'RE PAYING comcast to watch.  The whole thing burns me up and basically amounts to extortion.  We can buy the latest and greatest televisions and DVD recorders that can handle HD, 3D and any other kind of signal the cable company wants to throw at us and yet it's all for not if you don't rent their 5 year old beat up and reconditioned motorola HD boxes for a monthly fee.  It's insane that you have to watch commercials in the on demand environment.  As one of the previous posters said when we had the ability to record our own programs we could choose whether or not we wanted to watch commercials and hit the FF button at our pleasure.  I'd gladly go back to that option if I wasn't being held hostage by my cable company who with their little black boxes has total control over my viewing experience and no regard to my viewing preference.  Bottom line is you're paying for the service which includes being forcefed all of the commercials on all of the channels playing 24 hours a day and there's no reason you should also have to suffer through commercials when watching On Demand programs.  Give me liberty or give me my DVD recorder back :smileyangry:     

Regular Contributor
swingingby

RIGHT ON....They recently raised my rates $7.00 and I noticed the modem is rented!!  Stupid me....anyway

I bought my own modem, and my rate went down $7.00.  A lot of people aren't aware that they can do this.

So what are we to do...suffer through...or change out to Direct TV???  Certainly not ATT-U-Verse in my area since it would be over my telephone lines.....no way.  :smileysad:

Regular Contributor

Unfortunately if you wanna watch any kind of quality TV or catch up on shows you've missed because you can't record anymore about the only thing you can do is stay bent over holding on to your ankles waiting for your cable bill each month.  There's really no better alternative and they know it which is why things are the way they are. :smileysad:  

New Visitor
PGar

[ Edited ]

Really, we have to watch 15 minutes of commercials for an OnDemand tv program that first aired in 2005?

While I can appreciate the possible loss of revenue when watching OnDemand, 15 minutes of commercials is excessive for old programs.  As consumers, we are already being charged high prices for not so good program choices.  Do I really want to watch the Closer again with 15 minutes of really bad commercials, probably not.

Contributor
leopardfeet

I totally agree with you, especially since we have had this option for so long why all of sudden take it away. Do the networks actually think by making us mad that this is a good thing. If you look at my original post I own my own DVD recorders that I can run through the commercials if by chance something catches my eye, I can go back and look at the ad or preview of next weeks episode which by the way ON DEMAND doesn't supply. So by eliminating FF they make it more likely for people to stop watching their shows.  

Contributor
leopardfeet

I totally agree. I own 2 DVD recorders that had tuners to pick up the shows then they made them almost obsolete by giving us channels 2-22 or something like that. My husband did set one up that I can record any channel that I receive but you can't switch channels that easily but at least it works and I don't have to watch the ads which by the way I'm pretty set with brand loyalty and the ads are really not about to change my mind especially everyday products like cereal and peanut butter stuff like, that so ads are a waste to me anyway because I'm not going to change my habits because of a 30 second commercial spouting this is the greatest product ever.

New Visitor
angelicaalways

I think that someone should mention that the non-forwarding has spread to TNT in regards to "the Closer" and to "Rizzoi and Isles" Those are their number one and two shows during the summer of 11. I don't like the idea of having to sit through commercials and I also don't like the idea of having to wait sometime way over a week for last weeks program. But, what are we going to do? Here we are complaining to the company that has many of us held hostage for TV programming. I wish that "comcast" or whatever name they use! Would tidy up some of this. I would like a new feature that would allow up to pay for view period as I watch about 7 hours a week of TV and still pay outrageous prices. I'm tied to the box because I live in an apartment and the management company has made an agreement that no other company can be here so no ATT, WOW or my true favorite Direct TV. So I'm stuck with big bills and the "lie" of some OD advertising

Contributor
maryanneregan

i agree wholeheartedly with having to watch commercials on demand.....are we in Russia....we should have an option ...... WE WANT FAST FORWARD BACK FOR ALL ON DEMAND PROGRAMMING

Official Employee
ComcastNick

This is a network decision.  The only way they will allow their content to be on demand is with commercials and with FF disabled.  Comcast had to decide to either not put the content on demand, or to allow it on demand with commercials and no FF.  This is the same for all providers, the networks decide what content is available on demand, and how that content is available. 

If it was up to us, we would make it available with FF and no commercials like the rest of our video on demand content.

Comcast Nick
APSC Supervisor
Regular Contributor

This is completely understandable (the network's fault) however I also feel it's an easy excuse for comcast to just simply "do nothing".  What is comcast doing to take their customers concerns forward to the networks in an effort to reach some kind of reasonable agreement on how advertising content could be distributed on "On demand" shows in a manner that is less aggravating to the viewer ??  If the networks absolutely refuse to provide the content without the advertising then maybe Comcast propose other alternatives to the networks like for example putting all of the advertising on the very front end of a program similar to what's done already with DVDs where they show you upcoming movie previews as well as commercials sometimes.  They could prohibit FF function through the front end of the program while the advertising is playing but then enable it once the advertising is over.  We could choose to watch those 1st 10 minutes or go do something else if we wanted to until the program actually starts.  This would also fix the problem of having to sit through an entire show just to watch the last 15 minutes of something you weren't able to finish watching the week before.  It's completely insane to have to do that and comcast should be doing more with the networks on our behalf.  Much more based on what we're paying for service.           

Contributor
maryanneregan

Comcast is doing NOTHING.  They profess customer service and have all their telephone survey but it's only to benefit the Company as all they do is ask about the previous customer service person we spoke with.  Customer Service people are always great........Comcast, not so much

Visitor

1.  Comcast is not helpless to work out deals with VOD content providers.  This idea that it's ABC's, TNT's, etc. fault is nonsense--everything is negotiable. 

2.  If Comcast only distributed content I'd bet this wouldn't be as big an issue but Comcast/NBC now competes with VOD content providers.

3.  If Comcast can't/won't deliver the service we pay for or want, we will get it somewhere else.  Many like me will not pay for content and then be forced to watch unwanted commercials. 

Corporations can consume our wealth but will be challenged (I hope) as they pursue our liberties.

Visitor

Blaming ABC & FOX for on demand advertising is pure rubbish. Comcast controls the infrastructure and can dictate the rules. If content providers don't comply -- don't use them.

This is simply another way for Comcast to generate revenue.

I wonder if disabling the FF control is a violation of the terms of service? Maybe there's a sharp attorney out there that could look into this.

Considering what we pay for cable -- Comcast should be protecting their customers -- not exploiting them.

New Visitor
tinycivilian

i just wanted to show my dad one little skit towards the end of SNL.  couldn't FF through the whole show and so couldn't show him the skit.  not having FF is a practical issue.  yes, people fast forward through commercials but sometimes they fast forward through dumb skits that are boring or the credit song at the beginning of a show.  how infuriating to be micro-managed like this.  

these companies have a problem.  people aren't watching the commercials because they have the power to fast forward during the commercials.  so basically what does this tell you?  it tells you that people dont want to watch commercials.  comcast or FOX or whoever then has several roads they can travel down.  they can degrade the quality of programming so that people find the commercials MORE interesting than the show and choose to be entertained by that instead.  they can do what they're doing now, treat us all like children who need discpline and make it impossible to fast forward.  they can set it so that the show can fast forward but the commercials cannot (a fair compromise).  or they can do away with commercials on-demand to please their customers.  

the appropriate compromise here is obvious to me:  disable FF on commercials alone, leaving the program itself with optimization capabilities.  only have one commercial during the break and only two breaks during a half hour period.  

if you just lessen the beating a bit, we might not view it with such dread.  commercials don't have to be so painful. 

Contributor
maryanneregan

maybe it's time we all try to get petitions signed and present them to Comcast.....right now they're just ignoring our wishes