Regular Contributor

No voicemails but light still blinking on my phone

Two weeks ago I listened to a voicemail and deleted it and the red voicemail indicator light (and little envelope) on my phone kept blinking. I solved the problem by leaving a voicemail on my phone from my cell phone and deleting it. The indicator light stopped blinking.

I didn't get another voice mail until today. I played it back on my computer at work and deleted it. When I got home the red light on the phone was still blinking. I tried my cell phone trick but that didn't work this time. I called Comcast CS and a very nice man tried to reset my voicemail. Didn't work. Then he called my number and left a voicemail, so I could listen to it and delete it. That didn't work, so he tried to reset the voicemail again. Nope. Then he had me unplug my phone. That worked! He called me back to verify and we were both very happy that the light was no longer blinking. He reset the voicemail again, just in case. He reset it three times, total.

I walked away from the phone and the next time I looked at, guess what? The red light was blinking again! With the envelope and a "New voicemail" message on the phone. And no, when I called to check, I did not have any voicemails. 

Right now it's about 5 hours later and I'm wondering how I'll sleep tonight with that red light blink, blink, blinking in my bedroom all night. I guess I'll have to cover my phone up with a towel. For Pete's Sake Comcast, PLEASE get your act together. This forum shows that loads of your customers have this problem. Please fix it.

New Visitor
Rick_N

Re: No voicemails but light still blinking on my phone

If the phone you are using has a VM indicator it is not comcast who is at fault it is the manufacturer of that phone there should be an option on that phone to clear voicemail which will make that red light turn off if you are still having problems with it try calling the manufacturer of that phone

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

I would also point at the phone as the issue.  We have two phones with MWI indicators, and the AT&T phone always stops blinking when the VM is cleared, the other phone does not, we have to pick up the receiver to stop the blinking.

Contributor
Wardman

Not sure I agree with it being the phone.

The voice switches that carriers use send the signal to the phone.  If the phone is relatively new (10 years) it should understand FSK and respond to voicemail indicators that are sent out from the carriers voice switches.  Verizon and ATT have been using this feature for years without problem.

I'm not sure who Comcast is using in the background for their switches, but it is more than likely the source of your problem.  Call Comcast.

Wardman

New Visitor
princegirls

I believe it's a Comcast problem. Why doesn't Comcast post a message to respond to this problem?

New Visitor
jeffstahl

The same problem happens on my phone.  Is there a way to remove the VMDI signal from Comcast since I can't disable it on my phone?

New Visitor
Zudac1ae

I have a vTech 8L55, and am having the same problem.  Much like the original poster the person tried the reset thing which did not work either for me.  It is actually left unresolved, with the answer form Comcast being that I should upgrade the phone (new one).  The only way I actually get it to go out is to unplug the power supply form the phone.  This resets the phone and the lite goes away. 

I have not found a resolution to this.