New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Turning off voice mail

How can I turn off voice mail on one of my phone lines?

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Re: Turning off voice mail

Have to call in to 1 800 Comcast, to switch it off

New Visitor
donaldrichmond5

I am completely confused. All I want is to turn off Voice Mail. Tell me how to do it without any more rigamarole.

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Only Comcast can disable your Voicemail. You can change the number of rings, before it picks up by visiting your Xfinity Connect Email, click on preferences, click voice and then call forwarding and rings.

New Visitor

I want to turn off my voice mail, in order to receive fax I need voice mail off, what do I have to do? 

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

[ Edited ]

Call 1 800 Comcast

New Visitor
KPDC

You DO NOT have to turn voicemail off to receive faxes. Go into Administrative Options for your voicemail account and set the number of rings to be more than the number of rings you have set for auto answer on your fax machine. If your fax machine picks up after 4 rings, set voicemail to pick up after 10 rings. In this manner, your fax will always answer before voicemail. Viola!

New Visitor
richardstco

So, does this really work?? All I have to do is set my voice rings to more than my fax answer rings??

New Visitor
KPDC

That's how I have mine set up and it works like a charm. The only time someone will be sent to voicemail is when they send a fax while your fax machine is already busy receiving another fax. In that case, the new call rolls straight to voicemail but the sender's fax machine won't register the fax as having been received so their machine should automatically try again later. 

Contributor

I have not decided yet, but I would also like to know how to turn off or back on, on voicemail. Since my cordless home phone set has it own answering system. Others at home might want to use the cordless phone set's base to listen to message and not Comcast voice mail.

Regular Problem Solver
geek46

syndicate wrote:

I have not decided yet, but I would also like to know how to turn off or back on, on voicemail. Since my cordless home phone set has it own answering system. Others at home might want to use the cordless phone set's base to listen to message and not Comcast voice mail.

Go to your preferences and set the number of rings HIGHER than the number of rings for your Cordless home system.....

In this fashion, the HOME set will pick up and save the voicemails there and the Comcast system will never record the calls because your home system picked up first...

If you want to change this later, go back in and reverse what you did....   make Comcast rings smaller than the HOME system...  then voicemails will go to your COMcast Voicemail system....

Good luck!

-=Ray=-

Bronze Problem Solver
Paraniod

Ray,

The one caveat to that is, if somone calls while you are on a call and you ignore it, it will go to Comcast V/mail.

Cheers,

Ray :smileyhappy:

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

ATTENTION 

Connection Expert
EG

Re-visit message number 2 above.

Regular Problem Solver
geek46

Paraniod wrote:

Ray,

The one caveat to that is, if somone calls while you are on a call and you ignore it, it will go to Comcast V/mail.

Cheers,

Ray :smileyhappy:

True....   but then again, I have all my calls forwarded to my cellphone and also have Voice to Text sent to one of my active email accounts I monitor all the time...   I' have pretty much covered all my bases....   just hoping others can follow along... and be happy-happy-happy !!!

-=Ray=-