Regular Contributor

Using our own answering machine without disabling voicemail

We recently signed up for phone service and voicemail, but soon decided we'd rather keep using our own desk-top answering machine so we could screen calls by listening to the messages being left.

So ... I had Comcast disable voicemail. But, by the time we'd gone through this process, I realized, I think, that we didn't actually have to disable voicemail.

All we had to do was make the number of rings before voicemail answers longer than the number of rings before the desk-top answering machine answers, right? So the answering machine will pick up and voicemail nevers gets involved. Then, if we go on a trip and want to be able to access our messages online, rather than by phone, we can just change the number of rings so voicemail picks up before the answering machine does.

This should work, right? Anyone see a problem with this scenario?

Thanks.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Using our own answering machine without disabling voicemail

Yes, many people do what you suggest, change the number of rings to 6 or higher. 

Just remember, when you are on the phone, if anyone else calls you it will go to the Comcast voice mail, so you need to check if there are any voice mails from time to time.

The number of rings in available in Xfinity Connect preferences once you get your voice mail back.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks!

Since many people do this, you'd think the customer service person I contacted to disable voicemail would have suggested it. Oh well.

Official Employee

What Jay says is the only other scenario you need to worry about. I would suggest enabling the email notifications with attachment and/or transcription so then you don't even need to worry about checking your voicemail, you can just check your email which you probably already will be doing.