New Visitor
mooremx

Voice Mail Indicator won't turn off

The voice mail indicator will not turn off even though I have no voice mails.  How do I get it to turn off?

New Visitor
BKovich

Re: Voice Mail Indicator won't turn off

I to am having the same issue. Tried resetting all the phones and the modem. It went off for two days now its back on and nothing is removing it from my phone. This is vary aggravating the light just keeps blinking. Anyone got a fix?

New Visitor
donaldhead

I have the same problem.

I called Comcast and they had no idea how to fix this.

Contributor
hbwone

The same issue started yesterday for me.  I've only had their service for about a month and already problems popping up.  I have two lines from Xfinity. One line works fine but other one does not reset.

Called tech support today (over 40 minutes on line) and was told a service ticket will be placed for the problem after they gave up, and to wait 72 hours. 

Appears this is an ongoing problem with their service from what I've read on the forums.  

Contributor

Has anyone come up with a solution for this? According to the manufacturer of my phone, it's on comcast's end. I had them disable my voicemail over a week ago. You can go to Menu> global settings>

reset VMI > yes to reset it but it only stops blinking for an hour or so then it starts up again. I've reset the phone entirely (unplug power, hold down delete button and plug back in while holding delete button down). Nothing works. I still get the stutter dial tone that you usually get when you have voicemail, even though it was disabled.

New Visitor

I found if I delete a voicemail without listening to it first, it will do this.  Once you get a "New" message in your deleted list, the light is stuck on until someone flushes it out. Sometimes you can just check the trash bin and find the culprit.  If it has aged out of there however, you probably need Comcast to flush it out.

Contributor
hbwone

My indicator light was stuck on about a week ago and got it to reset by rebooting my modem. (I removed the battery and unplugged the modem for about a minute) Has been working fine since I rebooted it.

New Visitor
seanyph

Feb 5 and they still must have the problem. I have same problem. Started service 3 weeks ago and it worked fine until today. Any details on what to do

New Visitor
fyouberg

Come on Comcast! Are you even reading your own forums. I'm beginning to think that when the technology exceeds the capabilities of the technical staff that it's time to find another provider.

New Visitor
pbennison

I'm having the same problem.  Just got phone service through Comcast in December and two weeks later the phone's light it on and the tones when you turn the phone on are there even though there are no voice mail messages.  Comcast had to reset it or something the first time and now,about a month later, the same thing is happening. Had to call twice.  The first time the guy said it was fixed but lo and behold, when the phone's off the light is still flashing.  Called back and the next agent said he had to put in a tech request and will take 24 to 72 to fix.  ridiculous.

New Visitor
seanyph

I had the problem on Feb. 5 and called they did reset but looking at the emails I believe they should do a permanent fix so we do not have to keep calling back. The tech first told me to look at the support site and see what to do. I am not going to reset anything myself. That is there job

Contributor

I have just starting having the opposite problem. Even though I received a call & my voice mail picked up, the indicator light ISN'T blinking. :smileysad: I found out because I get email transcriptions of messages.

New Visitor
jmiller1228

Same problem that everyone else seems to have; voice mail indication won't turn off after picking up messages. You have to wonder if Comcast pays any attention to these postings and issues since so many people seem to have the same problem and it doesn't get resolved.

Contributor
hbwone

I've had the same problem off and on since purchasing my package. I have found out that after I'm through listening to messages to press the * button on your phone until it backs you out of the system and hangs up. It may take several presses of the * key until it says goodbye. The light usually goes out at that point. But you're stuck with the light on so this won't work till you get the light cleared.

Did you try to reset your modem by killing power to it for 30 seconds and rebooting it. That worked one time for me.  I know this is there pat answer whenever  you call in. It didn't work for me at the beginning. But a month ago I had the issue and it did clear the light.

One time I had to call support and they had to completely wipe out my account (not just reset it) and remake my greetings. It's worked eversince except if I don't exit the system using the * key on the phone.

Sometimes you can also go online into your account and remark the message as unheard and then listen to it. You can do it on your handset, but I like going on line to see the messages. After all messages are heard, exit using the * key. Of course if you errased all your messages, this won't work. At this point you can leave youself a message, then try exiting with the * key after you listen to it. Make sure to either save or erase the message before exiting with the * key.  

If none of this works, you'll probably end up calling support. It took several days until they finally escalated my issue to higher support and had to completely wipe out my account then rebuild the voice mail account. I have two lines and only one of them gave me fits.

Contributor

What the heck.  I mentioned that my indicator was NOT coming on. So I left a test voice mail message on my home phone. Now my indicator came on, sometime within the past hour. I went online & deleted the voice mail message, as I have many times before with voice mail, and the indicator is still blinking. Normally it immediately goes out.

New Visitor
jbbush707

We missed a message from doctor with instructions for consult. It was not on any phones and since the day I found out she had left message and it was not received, this light on all phones is blinking telling us we have a new message. However, when you *99 it says "no new messages" and no saved messages. I have checked online and the call was not registered as being received.

Can you tell me why we missed the message in the first place, and did that somehow precede the blinking which now we cannot get to stop??

BB

New Visitor
jbbush707

Do you think?? ha

New Visitor

Same problem here - i have the broken dial tone indicator and it won't stop even though I have no voice mails.

New Visitor

I have the same problem, where is the solution? I see all these posts, but no solution?

New Visitor
jbbush707

Our lights are now off phones. We will see if they have it fixed!  Thanks for all those who took time to write in.  Only way we can get issues fixed I think. Other times when I call, I am sometimes made feel it is the "operator".  I just hope our voice mail doesn't drop any more messages. Doctors now ask if they can leave detailed messages and previously I had said "yes" but not any more!!

New Visitor
cjreialnd

I have the same problem.  Have called twice and they keep saying someone will get in touch with me within 24 hrs.  Still waiting (2 days).  You are all right about comcast not reading these posts or this problem would be already taken care of.  This is so frustrating.  

New Visitor
ljhale53

I think Comcast is afraid to answer the concerned customers who have the problem with their service.  I purchased new phones in hopes to resolve the problem, then in about an hour after setting up the new phones the problem has reoccured.  I have clear VM, but with in a very short time my phone displays that I have a new message once again.   Comcast get this ridiculous problem fixed.  Listen to your customers or you won't have customers.

New Visitor
alpohelp

I have had the same problem. Try this..... Call your phone from a mobile and leave a message. Then pick up your voice mail using *99 and delete your own message. It should get rid of the New Message Waiting indicator. 

Visitor

I don't subscribe to the voice mail and still indicator light has been on for 3 days, I have cleared it from my phone and it comes right back on. 

New Visitor
jroles25

I also had the the voice mail indicator light problem and thank you to everyone who posted and made suggestions.  One of the suggestions did work for me and I'll wait to see if it is a permanent solution.

Having moved to an area that offered only Comcast I researched their customer service response and the reliability of their systems.  Unfortunately neither my old ISP or Comcast was stellar in either area but we are a captive population.  I came to rely on message boards like this to attempt to find an answer myself before going to Customer Service which often meant an hour or so on the phone (or cell if the internet phone was down). 

This is way I want to make a special point of thanking everyone who contributes their problems, solutions, and suggestions to any message board where subscibers seek to find answers and help others.  I read every message on this topic and not only found a solution but I  found a way to prevent this indicator light problem in the future. You all have saved me a lot of time and aggravation and I am grateful.

Thank you all very much

New Visitor
jroles25

Thank you very much for your suggestion.  It worked for me and I am grateful to you for saving me an aggravating hour with Customer Service.

Visitor
guy201

Having the same problem with message light not shutting off for 2 days with no messages in VM. Called Comcast and they rebotted modem and that didn't work. Now waiting the 72 hours for tech to repair. Have had more problems with Comcast phone in 2 years than I had with Verizon in over 40 years.  No FIOS in my area.

Contributor
debspeare

Thanks--your suggestion to mark the message as "unheard" online worked for me!  Moral of the story: nver delete trashed messages.

Contributor
hbwone

[ Edited ]

As explained previously, leaving yourself a message and then retrieving it and deleting it usually clears the stuck indicator light most of the time. For the times it doesn't work, I reboot the modem and then leave another message and delete it. 

I also now always press the star (*) button to back completely out of the system (you'll hear goodbye) before hanging up. It doesn't work 100% but most of the time it cancels out the indicator light for me.

Contributor

I didn't do anything special in my case of the non-stop blinking light, and eventually the message light shut off. I have no idea why the problem started or why it stopped. I'm just glad it stopped.

Visitor
guy201

Spoke back with Comcast today about 5 pm after problem started Fri, 7-11-14 and they were fixing a large area  problem with Voice Mail light,  that seemed to get fixed not long after I hung up. It only took a little over 72 hours to fix.

New Visitor
anonymous14

If you have a "Find" button on your phone base (used to find handset) push it and hold it until it stops beeping. It should clear the blinking voicemail light.

New Visitor
balayzell

Well, it's November 3, 2014 and my message light still likes to stay on most of the time.  Not sure why a fix is so difficult.  I've also had it NOT turn on a couple of times when I indeed had a message waiting!  I'll try a couple of the suggestions listed in this thread.  I recently switched from AT&T phone (long story) and never before had a single problem with my phone.  With Comcast, I seem to get periodicaly outages (internet, phone and cable) in addition to the phone's message flasher problem.

Visitor
wt492

I have 3 phones in house.Tried the "Find"trick but no suddess as yet.Will try all3 phones/

New Visitor
balayzell

The find trick did work for me.

New Visitor
stubiwan

this is a simple fix for any light tbat wont turn off. Cover with a small piece of black elecrical tape!!!  Done.   

New Visitor
joan123b

I just started having the same problem, likely caused by not using the star button to back out of the system.    Here's what worked for me-I called the home phone with my cell phone, left a message, listened to the message, deleted it, hit the star button to exit and voila, no more blinking light or stuttering dial tone.  Thank goodness for this forum!!