New Visitor
mms4526

Voicemail doesn't recognize "1" or "2" from Vtech phone

I just switched to Comcast phone and internet from AT&T and the Comcast voicemail system will not recognize the "1" and "2" tones from my Vtech 2-line phone system.  Spoke with several people in technical support and their answer was that I need to replace my Vtech phone system rather than it being a problem with the Comcast voicemail system. 

I'm a bit frustrated as why could AT&T recognize these tones from this phone system and many other dial in phone systems (JP Morgan, American Express, many other 800 service numbers)  recognize the tones from "1" and "2" from this phone system yet the Comcast voicemail does not.  

Also very interesting that when I returned a call to technical support I had to put in the rep's extension and it had a "1" in it and the Comcast dial in system recognized the "1" when I dialed the extension but voicemail still does not.  Seems like a voicemail problem to me.  I asked that this problem be escalated to a supervisor and the supervisor even refused to acknowledge a problem with voicemail or speak to me.

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Re: Voicemail doesn't recognize "1" or "2" from Vtech phone

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
mms4526

Yes I can access this voicemail from a non-v-tech phone, but still frustrated as V-tech is not one of the listed "problematic" phone systems on the comcast website. 

Additionally with respect to vtech being non-compatible with VOIP, I'm not comfortable with the answer being a vtech issue due to the fact that our v-tech phone has never experienced any other problems with other voicemail or other telecommunications systems recognizing the tones from "1" and "2" from these phones.  The exception being Comcast's voicemail.  This signifies that it is a comcast voicemail recognition problem not a vtech problem. 

The number tones for phones are an insudtry standard and vtech conforms to these industry standards as evidenced by the lack of problems with all other systems.  While can't Comcast solve this issue on their side? 

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
lacig

I have the exact same problem except it's with the #3 on an AT&T 2 line DECT 6.0.  Comcast recognizes the 3 when dialing phone numbers and even dialing calling features such as *63 and *83.  Yet once you get to a calling feature MENU, it does not recognize that the 3 is being pressed.  In other words, if a voicemail password contains a 3, it won't recognize it.  If a menu asks you to press 3 to turn a feature off or on, it won't recognize it.  It's quite bizarre.  The tone is an industry standard and Comcast switching equipment is obviously capable of recognizing it as set forth above.  But once you get to a MENU, Comcast must use different programming.  It acts as if you're not even pushing the button.  It does not seem to make any sense as to why the 3 is recognized in all other contexts except when using it within a menu.  There are no problems with other systems recognizing it (3rd party voicemail systems, typing in account numbers when calling credit card companies or other merchants).

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
mms4526

We purchased brand new base of the exact same v-tech phone and have resolved the problem.  Who knows, it fixed it and now recognizes 1 and 2.

New Visitor

I too have had this same problem and it persists.  I run a home-based office and use the comcast line to support all calls to my office.  Comcast's system does not recognize the "3" from my AT&T DECT 6.0 phone, whereas it will recognize the same input from a panasonic DECT 6.0 phone???  Very frustrating as I cant get into my voicemail personal options menu from my office line.  I have to ring it up via my cell and then change the greetings as 3 is the personal grteeting menu area.  Very frustrating and I feel your pain.  Comcast, can anything be done?

Regular Contributor

Just switched to Comcast voice and have the same problem with my Vtech 2 line phone. Voicemail does not recognize keys 1 thru 3 making voicemail unusable.  Funny that 1-800-Comcast support number recognizes keys 1 thru 3 just fine as does every other IVR sytem I have called since switching. Previously to switching to Comcast voice, I used this same Vtech 2 line phone for over a year on an AT&T landline with no IVR problems. Currently have an open ticket.

New Visitor

As a follow-up, I contacted AT&T and stated the issue.  They put me through to a service tech that diagnosed the phone's problem while we spoke, noting that the chip that was in the phone unit was probably off in its tone production just enough so that the tones were not recognizable to the comcast system.  Phone replaced and no problems since.

Regular Contributor

Maybe, but it's just as likely or maybe more so that the Comcast VOIP conversion of DTMF tones is off enough that the numbers are not being passed through correctly to the IVR system. The easy answer is the "phone is the problem" but the reality is DTMF was designed to work on an analog POTS land line and that the conversion from analog frequencies to digital VOIP data is problematic and most likely the cause.

The bottom line is a particular phone's tone output should not be blamed unless it is not capable of dialing a number correctly. If the tones generated by the phone are accurate enough to  dial a number and complete a connection, then an IVR system should be capable of decoding those same tones and correctly identify the very same numbers pressed to connect the call in the first place.

If the DTMF tone recognition problem is universal across all IVR systems as opposed to just a Comcast IVR system, one could make the case that the tones generated by the phone are off enough that that phone is the problem.  If it is only Comcast voice mail that will not recognize tones correctly and in particular only failing to recognize a few numbers, I'm more inclined to attribute the cause of the problem to Comcast's equipment failing to decode converted tones accurately at the IVR system. Add to that in my case I can navigate thru 1-800-COMCAST IVR system without problems and I see no other answer other than Comcast voice mail IVR needs an adjustment to be a little more flexible in the manner in which it converts analog tones that were never designed to be coded and decoded into digital formats.

The same phone system I'm using now with Comcast, passed DTMF flawlessly on an AT&T POTS line.

New Visitor
Lacigolwon

The last poster's observations are well stated and exactly on point.

New Visitor
mms4526

I am the original poster and while we purchased a new v-tech phone it worked for a bit, but now as we moved to comcast business the voicemail system no longer recognizes 1 so I have to call my home phone while in the house from my cell phone to access the voicemail. CRAZY!

New Visitor
tmanprox

Comcast VM system apparently hasn't been corrected since 2011.

I have a V-Tech phone and  it hasn't recognized 1,2,or 3 and  I was unable to set up Voicemail.

I spoke with Tech support last week and was told that it would be fixed in 72 hours. Now doesn't recognize other keys either. Still no voicemail!

Is there help out there?

New Visitor
michelekrajewsk

I am having the same problem with an AT&T DECT 6.0 two line phone.  The 1,2, and 3 most times do not work but occassionally will.  This is the second phone that this has happened with.  Both phones when new worked fine for about 2 weeks.  It is very frustrating since this is my work phone.