New Visitor

1-800 numbers

A couple of my utilities and some other companies I deal with have 1800 numbers. When I call them I get some message saying I can't call 800 numbers or something like that. Is this a thing with comcast that they can't connect to 800 numbers? That is frustrating and definitely something they should inform customers of when you are getting their service.
Regular Contributor

Re: 1-800 numbers

Hello winterwolfs:

I’m going to try and answer all three of your posts within one response. I’ve looked at your account and I can’t see any problems that would explain why you’re having these troubles; nonetheless, I’m going to try and offer you as much insight as I can, one post at a time.

• 1-800 numbers: Comcast does not block calls to 1-800 numbers. It’s possible that the utility you’re calling may be using an 800 number that is area specific. This means that if you’re not calling the utility from their area of service, then the call may not complete, but you should still hear a recorded message indicating that the call did not go through. It’s unusual, but it does happen. Can you give us any more information about what happens when you make the call?

• Phone doesn’t always ring: If your phone doesn't ring, check to make sure that the ringer is working properly. If the problem continues, contact us and request the agent to escalate the issue as a problem with “incoming calls”.

• Delay in Receiving voice mail: I assume you mean you’re having problems with your voice mail box, which is normally accessed from your home phone, and not through our Digital Voice Center. Have you tried to access your voice mail through our voice mail access number? If not, call the number (any one of our agents can give you that number) and see if there is still a delay. If you’re still having the same problem, please contact us and ask the agent to escalate the issue as a voice mail problem.

Remember, the best way to get assistance is to contact us or please email me directly if you’re not able to get a resolution via the normal process.

Thanks,

modmlr

Visitor

Another issue to consider is that some companies that provide 1-800 numbers are using an older phone routing system that is not compatible with some newer equipment that is upgraded to the most current standards.  This was a known issue that was occuring with Qwest 800#'s recently.
Bronze Star Contributor

winterwolfs wrote:
A couple of my utilities and some other companies I deal with have 1800 numbers. When I call them I get some message saying I can't call 800 numbers or something like that. Is this a thing with comcast that they can't connect to 800 numbers? That is frustrating and definitely something they should inform customers of when you are getting their service.

I am not certain exactly how CDV implements Anonymous Call Rejection (ACR), but usually companies using toll-free numbers can see your number anyway via the ANI system. However I do know that some Caller ID spoofing services that are out there oftentimes cannot connect with toll-free lines because the better PBX systems recognize the spoof and automatically reject such calls. I don't know if it is posible, but at some point I imagine that certain newer methods of providing ACR might trigger such call blocks.

Just a random thought...
--
J-Mac
Contributor

I just lost power for the first time since getting Comcast phone service.
I was not impressed.  The battery backup lasted only a few hours, not the 8 hours they tell you to expect...or is that only if you don't actually make any calls?
Also, while the modem still had power, I tried to call the electric company's 800 number several times to report the power outage and the call would never go through so I had to use my cell phone.

Later I found a local number for the electric company and that number did work through the home phone...so then I tried the 800 number again and it still wouldn't work. 
Email Expert

See modmlr's post above, specifically the paragraph about area-specific 800 numbers. Utility companies are very likely to use these, since they don't have any customers outside their state.