New Visitor
jenniferaustin

20 minutes I wish I had back

I just had yet another terrible experience with my new voice/internet modem.  After receiving an e-mail telling me that my modem battery was low or had been removed, I checked the box and found an empty battery well.  I called customer service and was told that "per policy", Xfinity decided not to include backup batteries with the new modems after December of last year.  Therefore, if your electricity goes out, you are stuck with no phone service.  You can, however, purchase a battery for your modem yourself.  I find it more than ironic that I was on the phone for 20 minutes to find out that I had to purchase a battery for equipment that I do not even own.  To top it all off, the feedback call that I requested at the time I made the initial call never came.  

Regular Visitor

Re: 20 minutes I wish I had back

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/phone/getting-a-new-battery/ . you should have been informed during your last contact that Comcast no longer provides free battery back up for telephony modems.

New Visitor
tko378

You should count your blessings that you only lost 20 minutes! I spent an hour on the phone, spoke to 4 different people (in 4 departments - although 2 people were from the same dept., at different times) and 2 of them agreed with me that a battery should have been included in the original installation, while the other 2 said it was the company policy to not include the back-up battery (they were from the sales dept.). I have been a Comcast customer for probably 10 years (or more) and a voice customer for the last 5 or 6, but unfortunately I waited too late to address the issue of the missing back up battery in the modem. My modem has never had a battery (even before their change in policy of not including them anymore). My mistake was waiting too late to address this issue! I do wish they would stop sending me letters asking me if I want to replace the back up battery (that I never had). How do you replace something you didn't have to begin with?!?!

New Visitor
rockycat2011

I signed up for Voice in March and when I received the new modem I noticed the equipment check off list  showed a backup battery was supposed to be in the box. There was no battery so I called Comcast and was also told by a man in the Sales Dept that there SHOULD have been a battery enclosed. He transfered me to another dept and they said that I could have a battery if I PAID for one. I explained that the OTHER person said the battery was supposed to be free and included. The new person said she "apologized for the information error and that  some other departments didn't know yet that the battery was no longer included". I turned down their "generous" offer for me to PAY for a battery and asked if the modem would work without a battery? I was told the battery was not necessary unless we had a power outage and then I would have no landline phone/internet/ service. I decided it wouldn't hurt to not have the Landline/internet if we lost power because the majority of the calls I get are all Telemarketers and the previous phone number owner's bill collectors(!). I will use my cell if we have a power outage and charge it in my car. I have a few months left before my Triple deal runs out and will have to start paying for Comcast Voice at regular price. I will also decide whether I really NEED a landline anymore since so far it is just a tool for Telemarketers(I have already gotten over 80 unwanted calls. You can only block 12). So far it has been more a bother than anything else. I think that is why Comcast is offering so many deals. More people are dropping Landlines and just using cell phones. 

I do think that Comcast should be providing the battery at no charge though.