New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Anonymous Call Rejection vs. Private Numbers

Over the past few months we are receiving an increased number of "private" name listings from sales callers as well as "private" numbersIn both cases, nothing other than "private" is displayed on the caller ID as well as on the Comcast records.  Will the "Anonymous Call Rejection" also reject private calls?

If this does not work, how can these calls be rejected?

Recognized Contributor

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection vs. Private Numbers

Technically, private numbers *should* get rejected by this feature.

The numbers that do not get rejected are "Unknown", "out of area", or any other "spoofed" numbers such as 000-123-4567 etc.

In case you are being harassed, you can always use call trace, however, make sure you read the following carefully before you use call trace: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=3150

Good luck!

New Visitor

Is there a way to block anonymous calls? Is there a way to block 1-800 calls?
New Visitor

Also, is there a way to block a specific phone number?
Email Expert

See  Comcast Digital Voice Features Quick Reference Guide.  You can block a specific phone number with Call Screening, and anonymous calls with Anonymous Call Rejection. However, it doesn't seem to be possible to block 800 numbers, there have been several recent threads reporting that when they try they get a message that the number is invalid.
New Visitor

Today I have been receiving calls from an 'out of area' id and the phone number is (1) followed by 10 zeros.  I have never seen this before and it cannot be blocked.  I doesn't show up on the list of incoming calls or missed calls when you check your call history.  This is driving me batty.  Ti is time for some technical upgrading at the phone companies.
Regular Visitor

How do I set -up cll blocking?
Email Expert

New Visitor

how does one block anonymous calls or unidenified calls like 000-000-0000
Connection Expert
JamesR

Anonymous Call rejection is *77 and *87 to turn it back off

There is a Sticky Post at the Top of this forum with a Quick Reference card for the Features.

New Visitor
carsmo

*80 will block any number you want. Just follow the instructions and it will tell you how to do everything. To block a sigle number, just press two after you call *80 and put the number in and hit pound. You can block out up tp like ten numbers. Hope this works for you. It works great for me.

Regular Contributor

Comcast call screening doesn't work.  I've been receiving harassing phone calls from the same number over and over again.  I've listed the number, but the calls get through.  When I check my online call log on Comcast the same number is listed over and over again. 

The whole 'call trace' issue is badly documented and opaque.  I called Tech Support who directed me to an abuse center, but after about 20 minutes on hold I left a voice message.  No call back yet.

I never had harassing phone calls until shortly after I switched to Comcast Voice service which is also a big concern.

Visitor

this is useless and frustrating information that wasted my time.

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

No kidding.  The harassing phone calls have lessened largely because we can now tell by the accent and call quality if it's a harrassing call, and we just hang up.  We never did hear from Comcast. 

As far as we can tell, these calls orginated from an Asian group which pretended to be an online pharmacy or health care provider in an effort to acquire personal data or an order of some kind.

As far as we can tell, Comcast call screening was no help whatsoever.  They could get through to us anytime they wanted even using numbers that were listed as blocked on Comcast call screening.

New Visitor
punkinrs

Private or Anonymous call are not accepted.

New Visitor
mariemolentiel

please i want us to block the private call for me

New Visitor

I am being harrassed by political calls from "unknown number, private name".  I there any way to block these.

Regular Contributor

I just received an email from Comcast saying that they noted my post of December 2010 but offering nothing else other than a link to this forum. 

That's over a year to receive any reply whatsoever?