Posted by
New Visitor
Accepted Solution

Anonymous Call Rejection vs. Private Numbers

Over the past few months we are receiving an increased number of "private" name listings from sales callers as well as "private" numbersIn both cases, nothing other than "private" is displayed on the caller ID as well as on the Comcast records.  Will the "Anonymous Call Rejection" also reject private calls?

If this does not work, how can these calls be rejected?

Posted by
Recognized Contributor

Re: Anonymous Call Rejection vs. Private Numbers

Technically, private numbers *should* get rejected by this feature.

The numbers that do not get rejected are "Unknown", "out of area", or any other "spoofed" numbers such as 000-123-4567 etc.

In case you are being harassed, you can always use call trace, however, make sure you read the following carefully before you use call trace: http://www.comcast.com/customers/faq/FaqDetails.ashx?ID=3150

Good luck!

Posted by
Visitor

Is there a way to block anonymous calls? Is there a way to block 1-800 calls?
Posted by
Visitor

Also, is there a way to block a specific phone number?
Posted by
Email Expert

See  Comcast Digital Voice Features Quick Reference Guide.  You can block a specific phone number with Call Screening, and anonymous calls with Anonymous Call Rejection. However, it doesn't seem to be possible to block 800 numbers, there have been several recent threads reporting that when they try they get a message that the number is invalid.
Posted by
New Visitor

Today I have been receiving calls from an 'out of area' id and the phone number is (1) followed by 10 zeros.  I have never seen this before and it cannot be blocked.  I doesn't show up on the list of incoming calls or missed calls when you check your call history.  This is driving me batty.  Ti is time for some technical upgrading at the phone companies.
Posted by
Regular Visitor

How do I set -up cll blocking?
Posted by
Email Expert

Posted by
New Visitor

how does one block anonymous calls or unidenified calls like 000-000-0000
Posted by
Connection Expert

Anonymous Call rejection is *77 and *87 to turn it back off

There is a Sticky Post at the Top of this forum with a Quick Reference card for the Features.

Posted by
New Visitor

*80 will block any number you want. Just follow the instructions and it will tell you how to do everything. To block a sigle number, just press two after you call *80 and put the number in and hit pound. You can block out up tp like ten numbers. Hope this works for you. It works great for me.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

Comcast call screening doesn't work.  I've been receiving harassing phone calls from the same number over and over again.  I've listed the number, but the calls get through.  When I check my online call log on Comcast the same number is listed over and over again. 

The whole 'call trace' issue is badly documented and opaque.  I called Tech Support who directed me to an abuse center, but after about 20 minutes on hold I left a voice message.  No call back yet.

I never had harassing phone calls until shortly after I switched to Comcast Voice service which is also a big concern.

Posted by
Visitor

this is useless and frustrating information that wasted my time.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

No kidding.  The harassing phone calls have lessened largely because we can now tell by the accent and call quality if it's a harrassing call, and we just hang up.  We never did hear from Comcast. 

As far as we can tell, these calls orginated from an Asian group which pretended to be an online pharmacy or health care provider in an effort to acquire personal data or an order of some kind.

As far as we can tell, Comcast call screening was no help whatsoever.  They could get through to us anytime they wanted even using numbers that were listed as blocked on Comcast call screening.

Posted by
New Visitor

Private or Anonymous call are not accepted.

Posted by
New Visitor

please i want us to block the private call for me

Posted by
New Visitor

I am being harrassed by political calls from "unknown number, private name".  I there any way to block these.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

I just received an email from Comcast saying that they noted my post of December 2010 but offering nothing else other than a link to this forum. 

That's over a year to receive any reply whatsoever?

Posted by
Contributor

'Unknown Name Private Number' certainly get through. I have anonymous blocking set. How does this happen?

Posted by
New Visitor

*60 blocks numbers ("Call Screening") NOT *80! * 60 blocks up to 12 maximum phone #'s NOT 10! 

Posted by
New Visitor

Wouldn't we NH residents love to know how to block those numbers, especially before Presidential primaries?  Sometimes being the first in the country isn't such a pretty picture, at least from a ringing point of view.  These PACS have figured out all sorts of ways to get their calls through, including how to show YOUR OWN PHONE NUMBER (instead of theirs) on your phone!  The problem is in a critical health situation, too many doctors have non-disclosed numbers...

Posted by
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Paul49441 wrote:

I am being harrassed by political calls from "unknown number, private name".  I there any way to block these.

I helped solve that problem a long time ago by having my name removed from the registered voters list ...... it's amazing that only after a few months how all those type of calls and unwelcome home visits by political workers stopped for good.   Anyone (including scammers and criminals) can purchase voter registration lists containing your address and phone number from just about every state in the union.

I also never feel guilty anymore when someone, or some ballot initative passes (which I might have voted for) but them fails miserably at the task they were elected to do or the intended outcome of the initative actually made things worse for the community. 

Posted by
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

cynccrn wrote:
Is there a way to block anonymous calls? Is there a way to block 1-800 calls?

For the 800 numbers, you have to physically use the *60 feature (with a phone) and not your online account's Comcast Voice page .....  at least that works for my service area.   For anonymous call blocking, log in to your Comcast account online, go to Voice and then to Preferences ..... there is a box to check for that kind of blocking plus many other useful options.

Posted by
Regular Contributor

take1byte4me wrote:

*60 blocks numbers ("Call Screening") NOT *80! * 60 blocks up to 12 maximum phone #'s NOT 10! 

Comcast recently bumped it up to 25 slots for *60 blocked numbers ....... still only 12 slots however for selected call forwarding.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments