Regular Contributor
alvordcia

Anyone ~ Phone rings, does not register on caller ID

This is a new problem that I have only had for the last month or so, phone will ring and caller ID does not register name or number, red light does not flash and when you pickup the phone the line is silent or you can hear someone breathing lightly, nothing erotic or dirty, they say nothing. Hit *69 and you get the message their is no number for this call, so the last two times this has happened hit *57 for a call trace, so have to visit my local police department per recording. Has anyone else had this problem? Has happened approx 15-20 times in last two months, they leave no message, can be any day of the week. Usually just let it ring five times and forget it. Happened Sunday while I was not home and have my 93 yr old mother visiting for the long weekend and she tripped over the dog getting to the phone and hit her head on the night stand, 7 stitches, not funny now. So just wondering if anyone has had a similar occurrence minus the stitches. Number is unlisted and no I do not owe anyone money, will visit police in the AM when I go to the post office....any feedback appreciated

Some drink at the fountain of knowledge. Others just gargle.
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Re: Anyone ~ Phone rings, does not register on caller ID

[ Edited ]
It isn't hard for a caller to keep his/her phone number from showing up on a caller id. Just a few presses of various keys on a phone. This is more than likely what your caller is doing. Now if caller id does not register anything, you do have a problem.

You can set up your phone system to reject calls by someone who blocks his/her phone number from your caller ID.
Since you posted this in Comcast Digital Voice, here is what the FAQ has to say about it: (For another service provider, contact them directly OR look on their website for instructions on how to set this up)

What is Anonymous Call Rejection and how do I use it with my Comcast Digital Voice® service?
Anonymous Call Rejection announces to callers who block the display of their name and number that you are not accepting blocked calls and instructs them to unblock their information and dial you again.

To use Anonymous Call Rejection:
1.       Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone.
2.       Press *77 and listen for a confirmation tone that the feature has been activated.

To cancel Anonymous Call Rejection:
1.       Lift the receiver and listen for the dial tone.
2.       Press *87 and listen for a confirmation tone that the feature has been canceled.

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 09-05-2006 09:02 PM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Most Valued Poster
Drewby

[ Edited ]
Hi,

What does the Caller ID Box say??  "Private Number", Call Blocked"? or "Out of Area"??  You said the Light doesn't Blink?  Maybe your Batteries might be "Low"??  Do other numbers show up on different calls?? If not, it might be your Caller ID Box or Low Batteries or your Phone Service...

Using the *57 is the right thing to do..  and DO press Charges, no matter whom it may be..

Otherwise you might have to have your Number changed.. I know, this is a "Creepy" Feeling for you.. but do what you have to.. :smileysad:

Keep us posted, please....  :smileysilly:

Message Edited by Drewby on 09-05-2006 10:23 PM

Regular Contributor
alvordcia

Hi and thanks for the info, have had anonymous call rejection turned on since switching from Verizon 6-7 months ago,
this really has me aggrevated, since I made original post has happened again about 20 minutes ago. Other calls that
come in show up with name and number. Does not make since why anyone would want to bother me, at least to my knowledge.
Will visit police station in the AM as have hit *57 several times. Have two lines into the house, one still with Verizon and the
other with Comcast and both unlisted and have gone to great lengths to have any info removed on myself from search engines,
etc: addresses and phone numbers...will post what I find out as can not be a unique problem to me..I hope...thanks
Regular Contributor
alvordcia

The caller ID unit is completely blank, nothing, on all (4) units. Have had anonymous caller rejection turned on since setup. Two caller ID boxes are hard wired and others are battery operated. All other calls show up, even called myself with cell to make sure and tried blocking my number and could not get through, very strange. When I called Comcast and inquired as to how and why they gave me a reference number and said it should not work that way and to hit *57. Other thing is *69 says no number available. Have two lines into the house, Verizon for an alarm system and security camera and do not use to make or receive calls, do get some on it occasionally from friends or family who did not have new Comcast number. If it had not been for Mom visiting and bumping her head probably would have just chalked it to to whatever. Will see what my local police department can find out for me, will also have Comcast and Verizon out to check wiring, house only six years old and this is not my expertise.......thanks  :smileyhappy:
Contributor
JuanG

Hi alvordcia,

I apologize for the difficulties you’ve been having with your Comcast Digital Voice service. We’d like to make sure that your problems get resolved. 

I’m sending an email to your primary address on your Comcast High-Speed Internet account.  Please respond and I’ll be able to assist you further.

In the meantime, you may be able to find a solution to your problem in our Digital Voice FAQs or by calling 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278).

Thanks!

Juan

Regular Contributor
alvordcia

Hi Juan, got your email and you my "FRIEND" :smileyhappy: are a lifesaver, Was not aware of the website you gave me
http:\\www.comcast.net\digitalvoicecenter ....think I may have used it once to set up email alerts for missed messages??
But anyway went to the link and printed copy missed calls and sure enough the offending number shows up and matches
dates and time give or take a minute. I have been hitting *57 after each call as still receiving them as late as 9-7-06 at
7:05 PM. Went to a web to check area code and then number and found them, a market research firm in Utah. As I stated
in previous posts phone will ring, none of the 3 caller ID units flash and screen is blank. I have no idea of who they are,
my number is unlisted and I do not take phone polls. Was waiting for at least five such calls before visiting my local
police department as I do not assume this meets some kind of terror threat alert to them, just very annoying to me
or anyone staying at my home. So printed all the info and will take to police station on my next trip to the bank as across
the street and see what they have to say as again I assume it has to be illegal to somehow block your name and number when calling,
thanks again for your help and concern, you got a new friend who appreciates your help..
Email Expert

Do you have your number on the national telemarketer no-not-call list?  I don't know if this applies to them, since they're not trying to sell you anything.  But if it does apply, then they would be breaking that law just by calling you.  If you're on the DNC list and get calls from telemarketers, you can file a complaint at www.donotcall.gov.

According to http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/alerts/calleridalrt.htm, telemarketers have been required for the past 2 years to send caller ID information.  So it sounds like they are violating this.  Although since they're not actually making a sales pitch, I'm still not sure that the law really would apply to them.
Regular Contributor
alvordcia

Hi and thanks for the info, gave me a scare when I saw DNC...not a Hillary fan,  more of an RNC person, but sure am on the do not call list. The calls came from a company called Harris Interactive in Orem Utah. Sounds like one of those companies that takes polls, they may have called the house before when I was not home, retired and travel and this is one of three homes I spend time at and my 92 yr old mothers primary residence when she herself is not on the road and she does not answer the phone if she does recognize the name on the caller ID.
Curious to see what my local police have to say...if nothing constructive will just give ole man Harris a call myself and light a fire under his butt myself if you know what I mean..not a shy individual as worked for the same AGENCY for 27 years and...enough said, gotta go walk the dog before it rains as she is sitting here with a strange look on her face and got her legs crossed..thanks
Service Expert
Queen-Evie

[ Edited ]

alvordcia wrote:
Hi and thanks for the info, gave me a scare when I saw DNC...not a Hillary fan,  more of an RNC person, but sure am on the do not call list. The calls came from a company called Harris Interactive in Orem Utah. Sounds like one of those companies that takes polls...

Bingo, you are on the money. Harris has been in the poll business for a long time-and are well respected.
Their poll results will frequently be mentioned during tv news broadcasts and in print.

" Many of you may know Harris Interactive for The Harris Poll, one of the longest running independent opinion polls in the United States and now is conducted in Western Europe. Policy makers, business leaders and members of the media all rely on the unquestionable integrity of this poll to obtain accurate, reliable information on topics as diverse as our participants." (Quoted from the Harris website). 

Here is the website for Harris.   http://www.harrisinteractive.com/about/locations.asp

For information about Harris Poll : Client Services/Industries/Public Relations.

You may as well forget about going to the police with this, there isn't anything they
will be able to do. The next time you get one of these calls, you could answer the phone,
find out what they want, then tell them you don't do polls and don't call you again, however,
there is no guarantee they will leave you alone-the Harris organization does not fall into
the telemarketer category.

According to the National Do Not Call regulations "calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an existing business relationship, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls" and  "If the call is really for the sole purpose of conducting a survey, it is not covered. Only telemarketing calls are covered — that is, calls that solicit sales of goods or services. Callers purporting to take a survey, but also offering to sell goods or services, must comply with the National Do Not Call Registry."

Message Edited by Queen-Evie on 09-15-2006 10:19 AM

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Regular Contributor
alvordcia

Hi there and thanks for the info, was not sure if Harris Interactive and Harris polls were one and the same, so guess going to the
police to file a report is a waste of both of our times and energy. Still concerned as to why they block their name and number
on my called ID unit as is blank and the red light does not blink. My big concern other than being a nuisance was that my mother
who uses this home in NJ as her permanent residence took a nasty spill tripping over the dog to get to the phone to answer it,
have (2) wireless phones in the house she could keep by her chair and reminds me she is not dead or disabled at 92. Will
ask my brother and family as he will be visiting this weekend if any laws are being broken as he is a current sitting Federal Judge
...thanks for your input

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

Telemarketers are required by the FTC to make at least their phone numbers show up on caller id.But there are some exemptions, including charities, pollsters and political campaigns. Since Harris isn't selling anything, they are not breaking any laws or ignoring the FTC regulations.

Regular Contributor
alvordcia

One other fact I should have mentioned is that when they call and hide their number and on the few occasions that I have answered the phone as did not have my glasses on they do not reply to hello or any other verbal command, they stay on the line and say nothing, this I think constitutes harassment, and have recorded and saved two such calls and have printout from Comcast, will ask my little brother about that this weekend, so assuming you are correct will just send them a letter telling them to take me off their call list.....