Contributor

Arris TM802G Telephony Modem

Does anyone know when the Comcast system in the seacoast NH area will be able to support the Arris TM802G DOCSYS 3.0 Telephony modem ?   Currently the latest version that Comcast supports is the Arris TM722G which is several years old.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

Re: Arris TM802G Telephony Modem

[ Edited ]

The 802 would work just fine on Comcast's system (if they would provision it). If you are talking about ultra wide band 8 channel bonding - no ISP supports that yet and I haven't heard of any plans from Comcast to implement it any time soon.

Contributor

The TM802G is indeed fully backward compatible with all DOCSYS standards inckudung 3.0, 2.0 and even 1.1.  Comcast technical support claims that they do not have the activation codes available for the TM802G.  I had Comcast techs come to the house twice trying to install the TM802G without success.  They even escalated the on-site support to the service tech beyond level 2 and up to the NOC.  I think that Comcast is just giving me the run around.  I've never heard of activation codes being required.  They need to update their entire system in this area.  I've heard from other Comcast Resellers that the TM802G does work in other major metro areas in NY and CT.

Cable Expert
i-am-nerdburg

RIght. Technically there is no reason why it wouldn't work. However, until Comcast adds it to the approved modem list, the customer service folks have no way of provisioning the modem.

New Visitor
rocky8855

[ Edited ]

I have been getting the run-around also, and they are not adding my modem. They told me at first after 2-3 days of calling (and after staying on the phone for an hour each time), that they could not activate the modem. Its silly to me, because the person that suggested I buy the modem was a Comcast agent a month before when I signed up for their service. I don't know how or why they would suggest it to me, and then not install it. The tech support person on the phone is not even the guy who installs it. Instead he is "chatting" via IM with the modem person and sending the info to him/her to do the installation. And I also got told they don't have the codes to install my modem.

Then to add insult to injury, i was told to go to the comcast service offices, where they could install it at my local office. After spending another 2-3 hours online, the person at the office who basically just collects payments had nooooooooooo clue as to what I wanted from her. I asked multiple people there, and even she got the run around after she called "headquarters". She basically told me to call tech support, who were the folks that sent me to the offices to begin with.

I have never been so mis-treated by a company before. The minute a better option opens up in my area, I will make a switch to get away from comcast. Anyone and everyone that asks me about comcast, I tell them my story, and they are turned off from signing with them. If they would just do their due-dilligence and update their modem lists, folks would not be on this forum preaching their discontent about such bad service and treatment to their customers.

Contributor

Your story is essentially a mirror image of mine except that I paid for 2 Comcast service tech visits to install the modem.  I bought the modem from a Comcast Reseller and in checking with Comcast tech support they said that it was not self installable, but that a Comcast service rep could install it.  The first rep tried on a Saturday, but couldn't get support above level 2 to activate it.  The 2nd rep came the following Wednesday and spent 2 hours with level 2 and the network ops center (NOC) trying to get it to work.  Finally they told him that the NOC did not have the Arris Activation Codes.  Out of frustration I stopped by the In-Store Comcast product center at my local Best Buy store.  They had an Arris TM722G packaged for retail consumer sale for $150 plus installation.  They said that they had no information regarding the TM802G.  It is very clear that currently Comcast has no plans to provision the TM802G for activation anytime in the near future.  If enough complaints are filed maybe they will do it.  Until then we have been 'HAD' by Comcast !!!

New Visitor
circlepines

I went through much of what you all have, but I received a letter from Comcast stating "To ensure that your modem can take advantage of all that XFINITY internet has to offer, you will need to replace your current modem with a DOCSIS 3.0 modem".

So I bought Arris TM802G/NA on line for $80.00. They could not make it work with their old crappy system so they sent out a cable guy after I was without phone and cable for a week. He asked me why I was replacing my motem so I showed him the letter and he said you should have never got that letter your old modem was all you needed.

I think they don't want your modem to work for they can collect their $7.00 a month fee. Now I am stuck with a $80.00 modem because some dope made a mistake, not to mention the time I lost.

COMCAST SUCKS BIG TIME I think I will go with Direct or Dish it is a better deal. Good-by Comcast.

New Visitor
patdev

This is my story of the TM802G Telephony Modem. 

I am really tired of paying the $7 per month for the rental fee, so decided to get my own. After checking with Comcast, I was told I had to go to Best Buy to get an EMTA modem. I went to 3 Best Buys, two of which were supposed to be Comcast provisioners.  Both of these stores stated that they no longer were provisioners for Comcast and did not have any telephony equipment. At the time, I was looking for a 722G telephony modem.

Okay. No luck there. Called Comcast to see if possibly I could "buy" one of these modems from them. I was told no, that I should go to Best Buy. When I told Comcast my experience at Best Buy, they said that I could order a TM 802G and that would work fine. I knew that modem was not on the approved list. I told the Comcast rep this, but she said that that was now approved.

So, I ordered from Amazon. Received it. Called Comcast to provision it. Was told that the cmac and emac numbers wouldn't go into their system, so I would have to go to a Comcast store to have them activate it. Did so.  Spent about a half hour at the store. The store person, said that it was not on the list of approved modems. But, after talking with one of his "expert" people, he was able to get it activated. Then he told me to go back home and call the provisioning number to provision it.  Did so, only to find that the modem could be activated but not provisioned.  So, it is in the process of being shipped back and I still have to pay the $7.  I am now going to go for an older model to replace my 602G that I am renting.