Cable Expert
cypherx

Block unknown and telemarketer calls

Is there a way to block unknown and telemarketer calls?  I already have anonymous call blocking on, which does great at blocking "Anonymous", but 99% of the telemarketers and solicitors display "Unknown" on the caller ID.  I want to block this as well.  I heard there was a way to require all callers to push 1 * to get through.  This effectively blocks out telemarketers and solicitors that are using computer dialers to contact you.  Is there a way to turn this on?

I am already on the "Do Not Call List", but local organizations still call for donations.  I've been on the do not call list for over a year also.

Thanks.

Recognized Contributor

Re: Block unknown and telemarketer calls

A company called "Hello Direct" used to market a product that could screen calls based on phone number.  The company markets a lot of interesting products relating to phone systems.   I just don't recall if it only worked with outgoing calls or screened incoming calls too.  You have to replace your phone jack with this device and program the calls you wish to screen. 
Email Expert

Just so you know that the calls you get are legal -- charitable and political organizations are exempt from the national Do-Not-Call List (there may be different rules for state-level lists).
Cable Expert
cypherx

Ok that explains why I report them and I still recieve them.

I want to eliminate the charitable and non-profit calls. I get those as "Unavailable" on the caller ID. Sometimes I get calls from my credit card company trying to sell stuff, but this is legit because I have an account with them correct? Those are annoying.

I guess the moral of the story is just don't answer it if the caller ID says something other than who you want to talk to. After all that's what caller ID is for. Now only if Comcast would hurry up and get caller ID to work on the TV like TWC and Brighthouse do on Scientific Atlanta cable boxes.
Email Expert

Yes, companies you do business with are always allowed to call you.

In the case of the other callers that are exempt from the DNC list, though, I think that if you specifically ask them to take you off their lists, they're required to stop calling you.
Bronze Star Contributor

One thing that might help a little in the future is to have your name and number removed from the directory that Comcast sells to telemarketers.  When you subscribe to CDV Comcast automatically lists your info in it and offers to remove it for a fee of $4.95 per month.

Actually this is a little fact that I failed to uncover before subscribing to CDV.  Although I posted several questions regarding pricing, additional fees, and feature availability and unavailability during the month before my installation, I never thought to inquire as to a directory with a negative opt-in, and no one thought to mention it to me.  I have not seen this form of what I consider to be extortion from their customers since my days of using the companies that provide the ols POTS service. Fortunately I use another service which allows me to screen all calls and ignore ones that I choose, as well as setup rules to automatically filter out any numbers or patterns I wish or this would be more than annoying!

But being in their directory certainly opens you up to all the telemarketers who want to call you. Paying the "protection money" will afford a little extra privacy.

Jim
--
J-Mac
Visitor

My Comcast digital voice experience has been great except for getting the "Unknown" calls.  Most are for surveys not related to political or other allowable calls under the DNC regs.  This is one area where I feel Comcast falls short.

When I was with my last phone carrier they had a service called privacy manager (or something like that).  I didn't get hardly any calls from those I didn't know.  If the number didn't show up, I had it set not to ring.  Simple, but very effective.  Hopefully, Comcast, in the interest of staying competitive will add such a feature.