Regular Contributor

Caller ID Terms - Their Meaning

Where might I find a definition or description of Private Name, Private Number, N/A and any others that might pop up?  A neighbor using Verizon displays as Private Name.  She maintains that she always thought of her name as private but definitely has a listed number in the Verizon telephone book which includes name and number. 

Ed
New Visitor

Re: Caller ID Terms - Their Meaning

I don't know if this helps you but your friends info is being blocked from her end. In order for you to see her info she must dial *82 then your number and you will see her info displayed on your Caller ID. I hope this helps.
Regular Contributor

Thanks, you are correct about my neighbor blocking her identification(did not know she was evening doing it).  I still would like to understand better the meaning of the various terms used other than a specific name associated with a number.  I am starting to suspect it depends on the phone with the assumed logic that a code accompanies the incoming call and the phone software has to interpret.  However are there still standard terms out there for when N/A should be used, Incoming Call, Name Unknown, etc

Ed
Bronze Star Contributor
GeoffG

Hi edbitzer,

Here's the definition of some of the privacy-related terms you may run into with respect to your telephone service:

A non-published number is one which is neither listed in the telephone directory, nor in any online directories, nor is it available to the 411 directory assistance service. There is usually a small monthly fee associated with this service. Please note that this service has no effect on whether your caller ID information is displayed or not when you call someone.

A non-listed number is not available in the telephone directory or online but is available through directory assistance (411). Comcast Digital Voice does not currently offer this service. Note that this also does not have any effect on whether your caller ID information is displayed.

Most Comcast Digital Voice customers have Caller ID Block - per call available on their line by default. This allows you to keep your caller ID information from being displayed on the recipient's telephone. The receiving party will only see "Private" or "Anonymous" on their caller ID. You can activate this feature by dialing *67 prior to dialing the number you wish to reach.

Some Comcast Digital Voice customers prefer to have their caller ID information blocked for every call they make. In this case we will add the Caller ID Block - per line feature. Every party you call will only see "Private" or "Anonymous" on their caller ID. If you have this feature active on your account and you need your caller ID information to display for just one call, just dial *82 prior to dialing the number. This feature is free for Comcast Digital Voice customers, but you must contact us to activate it. Please note that this feature has no effect on your directory listing.

Customers who are particularly conscious of their privacy may request both that their directory listing be non-published and that the Caller ID Block - per line feature be activated on their account.

From time to time, inbound calls may display something other than the name and number of the calling party. It may display the city and state the call originated in, "Unavailable", "Out of Area" or some other message. Typically this is caused by a problem with the calling party's service, but if it is happening consistently please contact us and we will investigate further.

Thanks for the question!

Geoff.

Regular Contributor

GeoffG,

I thank you.  If I can extend the question a bit, for which you have given me clear definitions, may I assume that the message that is displayed by a particular phone is text created by that individual phone in response to a numeric or alphanumeric code.  Therefore depending on the brand the message might be slightly different such as Private Name or Private Number instead of just Private - as examples.

Ed 
Email Expert

Take a look at Wikipedia and the Caller ID FAQ. The term they use for blocking is "WITHHELD".