New Visitor
Michael721

Caller ID on TV Works. No dial tone on any phone

Having issues with the Comcast phone service we just had installed.  When I call our number from my cell phone the caller ID shows up on the TVs, but the phones themselves have no dial tones.  Since the call is getting as far as caller ID, it makes me think there isn't anything wrong with the wiring in our home, but maybe that's not true.  

Any idea what could cause this issue?  I tired several different phones, cordless, hardwired, and all had the same issue.  

Recognized Contributor
techrep3

Re: Caller ID on TV Works. No dial tone on any ph

[ Edited ]

did you hardwire 1  regular corded phone directly to tel1 port of your modem?....if you get a dial tone in doing this consider it a home wiring problem ..then you might need to recheck your inside wiring connection

New Visitor
Michael721

Plugging the phone directly into the modem does in fact work.  So obviously something is off in our homes wiring.  Is this an issue that the local Comcast techs would tackle?  

Official Employee

Was the phone line coming out of the modem backeeding into a phone jack. That's how you get dial tone out to other jacks in the house.
New Visitor
Michael721

The phone wire was feeding from the modem back into the wall jack.  When it's set up that way no phone jack has any dial tone throughout the house.  When I plug a phone directly into the modem instead of having the modem plugged into the wall jacks the phone works.  

Official Employee

Something's up with either that jack or where all the phone lines meet. Should probably have a tech out.