Visitor
Ketebean

Can call out. Can't receive calls

I have had the phone service for several years.   We recently dropped the TV service due to signal issues.   We kept the phone and internet.

We have an issue now, that our phone does not ring.  We can call out, we do have dial tone, however, when some calls us, all they hear is several rings then goes to voicemail.  If someone leaves a message,  my phone with caller ID lists that I have a new voice mail.  I can then call and get it or go on line to retreive.

I was on chat with CS for 2 hours on 12/13.  We were able to get the phone to ring if we plugged it directly into the comcast modum.   If you plug into wall outlet, does not work.

I was told service tech would call me (on my celll), which they did the next day, only to tell me the could not help, and someone else would be contacting me.   No calls yet. 

I would really like to have my full service back.

New Visitor
chrlor

Re: Can call out. Can't receive calls

I have about the same trouble.  We can call out, but NO calls in.  When I call the phone from my Cell phone. I get two rings and a message that the phone has been disconnected.  I've been try to call 1-800-comcast, But No one is there.  All we get is Add's.  We will have to go to the Comcast store.  Hope they are open?  Troubleshooting still in work.....HELP!

New Visitor
Dan95758

This happened to me yesterday when I went to add service to my phone/internet.  Now, I suddenly have a different phone number. 

Visitor
lkulik24

My phone has had this same problem since last Friday, December 21st. I have a dial tone and can make calls but when someone calls my number they hear a message that the phone has been disconnected. I have called Comcast multiple times to no avail. How can I get my phone service fixed?

New Visitor
Dan95758

[ Edited ]

I finally got mine fixed today.  I was on a chat with someone (third person) when they checked to make sure my "original" number was still available and then they got it switched back. It took awhile, but they did it.  Have you tried calling your cell phone to see what number is displayed?  If you can call out, then you have a number of some kind.  When you chat with a representative, have both numbers available. 

Visitor
lkulik24

12 days and counting. Phone still doesn't work. Not sure how Comcast can consider themselves a reputable phone service provider.
Cable Expert
JayInAlg

lkulik24 wrote:
12 days and counting. Phone still doesn't work. Not sure how Comcast can consider themselves a reputable phone service provider.

If you have contacted Comcast support and it is still not fixed, then you can escalate your issue by emailing to

we_can_help@cable.comcast.com 

This Executive support group will contact the local group to get your issue fixed including getting a tech out if necessary.

New Visitor
uncdoris

CHECK THE ENDS OF YOUR PHONE CORD - IF YOU HAVE 4 LINES IN THE CORD IT WON'T WORK WITH THE NEW MODEM!!  YOU NEED TO GET PHONE CORD WITH ONLY 2 LINES INSIDE.

I switched out my old (2011) modem and netgear router for a "gateway" last Thursday. (Today is the following Wednesday) I simply unplugged my existing modem and router from the connections and took them to the local Comcast office and exchanged for the new Gateway.  I was able to get all TV and Internet set up just fine.  Unfortunately I lost the capability of receiving phone calls.  I had a dial tone and could make outgoing calls just fine.  When someone called my number I could see the call coming in on caller ID but could not connect with the incoming call. Per instructions from several customer support agents that I spoke to over the phone, I connected a wired phone directly to the back of the modem and everything worked just fine, but that didn't do anything to solve the issue of getting the rest of the phones to work for incoming calls.  I had multple appointments scheduled for Comcast Tech to come out but all got cancelled because I never "answered" when they called to confirm the appointment.  DUH!  The expressly stated problem was that I could not receive incoming calls!  Figure that!  After hours on hold and multiple calls speaking to people all over the world to try to solve the problem  - and when the Tech scheduled for yesterday morning was a no show - I took matters into my own hands.  My phone connection required about 30 ft of phone cord from the wall jack to the back of the modem and I really didn't understand how that could be a problem because it had worked just fine with my old modem!  Nevertheless, I disconnected that cord from both the modem and wall jack and replaced it with 4 different phone cords all connected with couplers to reach from the wall to the modem.  Lo and behold it worked!!  I then disconnected the those connections and replaced with old 30 ft cord and it didn't work!  So, I compared the cords and found that the connectors (clear plastic ends that go into the modem and jack looked different.  The old one had 4 colored wires inside and the ones that I had connected and that worked had only 2 wires.   Since there was a tech scheduled to come later that day I did not cancel the appointment and when he arrived I told him what I had done.  He said that was exactly the problem, made me a phone cord long enough to reach from the jack to the modem and went on his merry way.  He said they get this problem all the time.  I TOLD HIM HE NEEDED TO TELL TECH SUPPORT PEOPLE TO TELL CUSTOMERS ABOUT THIS - BECAUSE NO ONE EVER EVEN MENTIONED IT TO ME.

THE EXPLANATION WAS THAT A 4 LINE CORD SERVES 2 DIFFERENT PHONE LINES AND IF YOU HAVE ONLY ONE PHONE LINE, BUT A 4 LINE CORD, THE MODEM WILL BE CONSTANTLY SEARCHING FOR THE 2ND LINE RATHER THAN PUTTING THE CALL THROUGH!  THE INSTANT FIX IS TO REPLACE YOUR OLD 4 LINE PHONE CORD WITH A 2 LINE CORD.  PROBLEM SOLVED!! I LEARNED THE HARD WAY, BUT PERHAPS THIS WILL HELP A LOT OF PEOPLE AVOID THE SAME FRUSTRATION I EXPERIENCED.

New Visitor
maemery

[ Edited ]

Thank you very much uncdoris!  

I've spent hours since I installed the new comcast modem trying to figure out why my Panasonic phone (with 4 wireless handsets) would not ring when a call came in. Also the Caller ID and Voice mail features did not work. If I happened to know a call was coming in I could pick up the receiver and answer it. Call outs worked fine. I had a much older GE phone I hooked up and the ringer and Caller ID worked fine! Your 2 wire phone line was the answer. I am not sure exactly why it works but it works perfectly. I was lucky I had a 2 wire cord (sometimes being a pack rat pays off). You saved me what was likely tremendous aggravation trying to get satisfaction from Comcast customer "support". Thanks for your solution. Of course you have to wonder why everyone in their support area doesn't know about this and why they don't include this tidbit as a possible problem solution in the package they send out with the new modem. They sen t a new Ethernet cable (I didn't need) and two new Coax cables ( I didn't need) but they did not send a new phone cable which is how they could avoid the whole thing to begin with!