Recognized Contributor
mamabearlongs

Comcast phone not working.

My comcast phone is not working, but my television works fine. When I call my home number, I reach my voice mail only and when I try to call out,  there is no dial tone. When I called comcast and had them run a diagnostic they said my modem is offline. I have a technician coming out on Monday, but I would like to fix this myself before Monday. Is there anyway for me to fix this?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Comcast phone not working.

Start by pressing the indented reset button ont the back of the eMTA phone adapter.  Unplug the existing phone cord, and plug in a known wired phone directly to the L1/L2 jack on the eMTA and test if you have a dial tone.

Check the status of the lights on the eMTA, and confirm the coaxial cable fittings are snug on all points along the line, wall jack, eMTA, and any splitters.

If you also have Comcast high speed internet, open your browner, and open this link http://192.168.100.1 and post the downstream power level, downstream signal to noise level, and upstream power level.  Share with us those power and s/n levels.

Visitor

I have the same problems you have. I had a service call set up but Comcast called me back saying they had a problem in my area and the issues would be resolved. The next morning Comcast called again saying the problem(s) were fixed but I still have no dial tone. (I have been able to make calls by plugging a phone directly into the modem) Now I am back waiting on a serce call again. This has been going on since last Wed.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

If it works when you have a phone directly connected to the eMTA, then you either are having issues with one of the phones plugged into the jacks in the house, or the inside wiring itself.

You shoul attempt to find it yourself by unplugging all  phones in the house, and checking each jack if it works.

Remember, your inside wiring is owned by the homeowner, just like your electrical wiring.  If the Comcast tech finds an issue with your inside wiring, there probably will be a charge since the problem was inside with your own wiring.

All it takes is one defective phone or cord or jack, to bring down all the wiring inside your house.

Visitor

comcast phone notworking

Connection Expert
EG
New Visitor
wolfmom39

I had my serive shut off due to payment issues..  So I made arragements and the man turned averything back on.  But my phone keeps saying my number has changed to 888-comcast,  When I call that number it just repeats the same message over and over...  I can not actually get anywhere...

Connection Expert
EG
Regular Problem Solver
geek46

glennrichardson wrote:

I do not get a dial tone on my phone XXXXXXXXXX. my tv and internet seem to be working fine

You really shold go back and DELETE your original post....you shouldn't post any personal numebrs ( like your phone for one ) in a public forum....    bad form!!!  

-=Geek=-

Regular Problem Solver
geek46

[ Edited ]

glennrichardson wrote:

I do not get a dial tone on my phone XXXXXXXXX. my tv and internet seem to be working fine

AFter you DELETE your original post with your phone number in it, try the following:

1.  Unplug Gateway and if it has a battery, pull that out as well.

2.  Let sit for 30 seconds

3.  Plug Gateway back in and/or put battery back in.

4.  Service should reaquire to device within 15 minutes...

Try it!

-=Geek=-

Connection Expert
EG

Three year old thread now closed.