New Visitor

DOCSIS 3.0 PLUS eMTA phone modem.

Hello all,

I currently have internet and cable TV and am thinking about adding VoIP.  But here is the deal:

1. I currently own a DOCSIS 2 (or perhaps 1) cable modem and COMCAST is telling me I need to go to DOCSIS .  SOON.
  2. OK, I can get a bright new shiny Motorola Surfboard 3.0 modem and while I am at it upgrade to a super-duper 8011.n base station / router.  Hmmm, I wonder.  Perhaps it is now time to do VoIP too.
  3. So I call COMCAST.  They tell me they will switch me to an eMTA that does it all.  I say "3.0?" and "why should I not buy my own.
  4. The killer point before they killed my chat session (shame, shame COMCAST) was when I asked "can I get my own DOCSIS 3.0 and put on one cable port and a phone eMTA and put on a different cable.  This would be OK as the Cable Modem/router is in my office where the computers live, and the phone base station lives in the kitchen at my wive's kitchen desk. 

So, my question(s)

1. Can I have a seperate DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem for the internet and another modem for the phone, or will that mess with COMCAST's mind?
  2. If "1." is not possible, then is there a "good" DOCSIS 3.0 plus phone eMTA modem?  If so, which one?
  3. Or am I going to have to go back to renting whatever COMCAST will give me for integrated cable, phone, and super-duper speedy internet?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: DOCSIS 3.0 PLUS eMTA phone modem.

[ Edited ]

You can run a separate cable modem for HSI and a eMTA for the phone as long as splitting the coax again will give you enough signal to supply both devices.

If you do not buy both your units, then you will pay the typical $7.00 a month for one or the other.  No monthly fee if you own both devices.

The only eMTA you can purchase is at select Best Buy's with Comcast Connection Centers in them.  The D3 Arris TM722G eMTA is sold by Best Buy for $150 and the onsite Comcast rep set's up your service call to have the eMTA installed at an additional cost.  Here's a LINK to the Best Buy's that sell the Arris eMTA.  There are no alternative sources for purchasing a eMTA and it is not in all Comcast market area's.

You are wecome to run 2 devices if that works best for your wiring situation.  For a D3 cable modem your choices to purchase are a Zoom 5341 or a Motorola 6120 at many retail stores, and in addition a Cisco DPC3000 available from many online stores.  The TM722G eMTA is a fine high performance D3 cable modem in addition to the telephony section if your wiring situation was to run just one device.

Email Expert

The eMTA doesn't have to be near the phone base station. You can connect the eMTA to any phone jack in the home, and it will provide service to all extensions.

New Visitor
mandygurl0587

I had the docsis 3.0 plus eMTA phone modem.. it caught fire almost awhile back!! Beware! it was great for about 2 weeks then I noticed it started letting off a strange oder like burning plastic! so beware.. yours may do the same so now i have the docsis 2.1+Phone+Wifi

New Visitor
raidengl

[ Edited ]

I just upgraded to the tripple play so that I could get the pricing deal for 2 years. The Comcast store rep said that I didn't have to set up the phone if I didn't want to which is the option I wanted. Then today I tried to log in to my account online to look at my bill and it says not till I create a pin and security question. The service rep in chat stated that in order to create a pin and security question I have to set up the system to handle a phone. But to do that I have to change out my modem to one that can handle the phone. I'm assuming that the modem listed by the kind responder above me would work for my situation but are there any other types that will work for me? I would prefer to buy rather then rent my modem.

Thank you for any and all help.

P.S. I shoujld add that I don't ever plan to hook up the phone once I get the modem. So I need a modem that is a good quality docsis 3.0 that can also handle the phone just to please Comcast so I can log in to my account and see my monthly bill.

New Visitor
New Visitor
Jw-

And thats about it . No low-cost recycle-old-gear type option for combo EMTA's. Forget the Arris 502's & 602's selling on Ama-zone , the one i received would not make layer 2 connection & had a tampered serial ... 2x product issue = pathetic . Triple issues when product is refused support by CS. ... . While apparently placing the used Doc-2 modems on accounts is physically possible , they are no longer usable above 40Gb/s, blocking several internet packages offered , so it becomes some type of support/compatibility/legal issue , and is not offered as an option.. Surplus markets exist despite that but buyer beware , docsis-2 combo EMTA/modems (eg, Arris 400-600 series) are the new paperweight. . Don't forget we have Uncle Sam pushing 100Gb now due to a recent mandate , further frowning on Docsys-2 in general .

On the bright side, with the new arris 700 series brings the docsis 3 conversion , with near 100Gb external speeds, and a true Gigabit WAN, and for the first time customer-owned combo EMTA's , --conversely you must now pay rent for the Ma-C owned 700's.  Oh well. At least you are being rented new equipment .  Personally I will split the pair (EMTA/Modem) until doc-3 moves through ..  Hope this saves someone else the trouble .

New Visitor
maggie-o

Hi there - can you please explain how you would "split the pair?"  Is it Best Buy that we should purchase the Arris 700 series eMTA from?  Of course I JUST purchased and installed a DOCSIS 3.0 Motorola and now Comcast for Phone has come to my town and I'm seriously considering it.. but I do not want to rent a modem (except maybe for the first 30 days to make sure I'm going to keep this setup) - but then where is best to buy from and what.. When you say I could almost get 100 Gb "external" speeds - also not sure what you mean.. Also I have a Linksys E1000 N Router - so not sure if this would slow things down - and therefore I may as well get an older Arris for less.. Any further info/advice would be much appreciated.. Also - to the person above that got two years on the triple play - are you in MA?  They are only offering me a 1 year contract but I want a 2 year.

Thank you all for your help..

New Visitor
rockula

[ Edited ]

I too just signed up for Triple Play and didn't want to rent the $7 a month modem. She said it was going to be hard to find a modem that would work, but that people do. She said I wouldn't have my phone activated until I got the modem.

However, I too just noticed that I can't log in to my account online to view my bill unitl I create a PIN.

So what do I do about this?? I can't create a PIN, nor can I have the tech out to set up DVR anywhere until I activate the modem that I don't want to even use or buy.

It seems to me that the best choice would be to rent the modem, activate everything, get DVR Anywhere set up, then return the modem indefinitly, or until Motorolla makes a DOCSIS 3.0 VOIP modem.

There is NO WAY I'm going back to DOCSIS 2.0, when my area is 3.0. It affects your speeds for sure.

BTW...I also have the Motorola Router, so I really don't want to have to break up this wonderful tandum of speed.

Any advice? 

Jason

Email Expert

Did you read Jay's message #2 above? It describes the only way you get buy your own EMTA. If your local Best Buy doesn't have them, then you have to rent it.

New Visitor
loovulkats

You can purchase your own EMTA at select Best Buy stores.  At least that's what Comcast tells you.  Unfortunately I have never found one of those SELECT stores.  Best Buy does not offer them online and the store in my town never heard of them.  Comcast demands you purchase only 1 certain model number but they will install anothr model number if you have them do it.  The truth is they want you to have to rent one from them so they can charge you $7 a month FOREVER for the rental.

New Visitor
maggie-o

I was able to get the Arris 7000 (I think that's the model) from the COMCAST guy that has almost like a kiosk at our local Best Buy.  It is a DOCSIS 3.0, 2 line eMTA.. It was $150 or $159 I think.. so in a sense - at $7/month - you might be better to rent it - but I don't want to rent anything from them that I don't have to.  The guy at Best Buy had to take some time and "provision" it on my account - but - alas - it wasn't done right, so when the tech was at my house - he had to spend more time on the phone with Comcast, but it all got done and it works just fine.  Many people I know are renting the EMTA from Comcast for their phone and still using their own modem for the internet.. I chose not to do that - and it was handy, because shortly after I took my own Motorola DOCSIS 3.0 out of my home setup, Comcast Business started charging my husband rent for the modem (no phone though) that we had at his office.. so I promptly returned that and put my former modem there. I did ask the comcast tech that came to my house what brand eMTA they were giving out and he said it was the same Arris that I got - but honestly, it doesn't matter what the brand is.. but it does have to be a brand that's approved for use on Comcast's system.. I would not have been able to buy this online - as really I was buying it from Comcast - but at a Best Buy store.. I'm not sure who my receipt was from though.  I just found out that since I have my phone through comcast now, I should be getting my caller id showing up on my TV's.. of course I called tonight to have that implmented and the system for it is down.. I think we shouldn't have to pay extra for that "any room" DVR playback, but I didn't get to far on that!!  Oh - I think for sure you could buy one of the eMTA modem's on EBAY or anywhere if you get the right model. I did call the Arris company before buying mine and there's nothing special about it.. I can assure you - if mine goes bad, even after the 1 year warranty is up, The Arris company will be hearing from me!!!  Good luck!

Contributor

You were lucky that you found a Best Buy that had the modem.  I live in CA and have called all the Best Buy stores within a 300 mile radius, and none of them have it.  Could you tell me what state you live in?  Just curious.  Maybe more Best Buys will be getting them soon.  I hope so, anyway.  Thanks

New Visitor
clkdesign

Hello All,

I am not at all technical and recently divorced, so my tech support department is gone. I'm confused about all of this, and really need an explanation for "dummies 101" I guess.

I haven't done anything or called Comcast, and I'm trying to reduce monthly costs and it seems they want the customer to do all the work that their techs did. And $150? Just for the phone? I currently have all 3 and was planning to call to see how I can lower my price, I just can't afford $160 per month.

Can anyone help me with some tutoring? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Here's the newest page on what Best Buy's have Comcast Connection Centers that sell the eMTA's.

New Visitor
maggie-o

Hey There - I feel terrible - I never saw your comment on here.. I'm sure it's long too late - but I live in Western Mass and got the EMTA at the Holyoke Mall Best Buy.. They have a "comcast" center in the store - so you are really buying from Comcast - but it's a purchase, not a rental. I can tell you the guy didn't want to sell it to me- he was snotty and implied I should rent.. and - at $7/month would take a while to add up to the $150 - but so far so good.. and I hate paying rent on stuff to cable company.. Re the person below this post who's trying to save money - you could probably un-bundle - use your cell phone, and just get a "regular" modem (docsis 3.0 - ebay or whatever) and save money - you'd probably have to give up a bunch of channels, but you might not care.. the modem is not a big deal to set up.  the one for the phone is more complicated - and while mine was supposedly set up by the comcast guy at the best buy - the comcast guy that came to my house took hours on the phone to get it all working - but he did!