Contributor

Delete Call History

Is there a way to delete call history(Missed calls, Calls made, etc)?
Email Expert

Re: Delete Call History

No, this is a frequent complaint.
Official Employee
ComcastZhou

Currently Smartzone and DVC display 90 days of call history. In the past, Smartzone displayed more than 90 days. That issue has already been fixed.
Contributor

We should be able to control our history and how much we want to keep and how much to delete.

Needs work.

Visitor

Is there a way to do this yet.

This is completely annoying and I would like to be able to do that.

New Visitor

HI

HOW SHOULD I DELETE VOICE MAIL CALL HISTORY?

THANKS

Official Employee
ComcastZhou

, if your question is whether the call logs (missed calls, answered calls and placed calls) can be deleted, the answer is no. You can delete voice messages like you delete emails. Any reason you want to delete call history?
Visitor
mynos

Yes. I'd like to delete the call history simply because it gets TOO LONG !!!!!! We need a way to control this feature. Everyone does not need to see who called two months ago. A way to save old calls would even be better than having them all come up at one time. It makes one think Comcast is monitoring our calls for their own reasons. Is Big Brother watching?

Visitor

I am actually appalled that you even ask that question.

Why would you.

Look....a customer, and now many customers, have asked for a new feature.

Who are you to be asking WHY they want it.

They want it. I want that feature.

Enough said.

If you are not going to have that feature, then merely say that and let that be the end of the conversation.

I don't have to explain why I want a feature.

You are not our parents.

Gheesh...

great paternalistic customer support by Comcast.

I work in high tech and I swear if we ever ONCE asked this of a customer we would be bounced from the building.

Email Expert

FlipFlop09 wrote:

great paternalistic customer support by Comcast.

I work in high tech and I swear if we ever ONCE asked this of a customer we would be bounced from the building.

You do realize that Jay is not a Comcast employee, don't you? How is a comment from one customer to another a reflection of Comcast customer support?

Those of us with "Expert" labels are customer volunteers, not Comcast representatives. Opinions expressed are our own, not Comcast policy.

Official Employee
ComcastZhou

Federal regulations and state rules require a service provider of voice communications to retain call data for a certain period of time. Comcast follows the legal requirements and stores the data properly to protect user privacy.

Currently, SmartZone provides the function for a user to view the call history of the past 90 days. The call history can be sorted by date. Providing more options to display the call history based on user preference is under assessment as a future enhancement.

Visitor

Ah...my apologies...I thought that ie was Zhou, a Comcast employee, that wrote that...

in fact on my page it looks as though he was the guy asking why we wanted it.

Odd...

Official Employee
ComcastZhou

FlipFlop09,

My question was intended to better understand the issue and its scope so that we can better design the product to meet the needs of our customers. As a service provider, we maintain the integrity of the call history based on legal requirements. If the concern is privacy, we can address it from that standpoint. If a better call history display is desired, we could provide an alternative solution - we don't have to delete call history as a user may want to recover it later, and it may cause other problems.

There are several possible ways to better display call history by grouping them differently based on the preferences of different users. Knowing the exact pain points will help the product team design a comprehensive solution for all users and all scenarios. Hope it helps.

Visitor
brandonspopo

[ Edited ]

What an unnecessary statement, JayInAlg. Obama is the presedent now. Get a life.

Visitor

I understand you have to play within the rules of what is legal and what the government says you have to do.

So with that said, then I would like to make a feature request:

(And this would probably be under the privacy issue)

I would like to be able to control the visibility of some calls.

For example, if I would like to control who saw what on my call history.

So that, not everyone in my family saw every number that came in and out.

Now this is not so much because I care a lot if my fammily sees this info, but I have a business at home and do not want other workers seeing such things.

So, perhaps a situation like 'superuser' can see X, Y, Z.

And Family can see X and Y

And Workers can see only X

Does that make sense.

Almost like Administrator privilege, super user priv, and technician.

Official Employee
ComcastZhou

I will forward your feature request to the product team. Thanks for the feedback.

Visitor
brandonspopo

Thanks for deleting that foul posting by CCPULL3. We certainly don't need people who post in such a manner here.

New Visitor
leogd

I second this idea would be so much better

New Visitor
tallguy02038

okay, so BIG BROTHER wants you to keep the phone history...no problem...we can all see that on any of the LAW and ORDER tv shows...so lets think...YOU keep want ever you need to...just let us get rid of what we dont want...what is so hard about that...or, are they really being driven by the SAME STORAGE area...or what?

Email Expert

I suspect it's just not high on their priority list of things to do in SmartZone. Although it's a common request, it's just an esthetic complaint, not a serious problem.

New Visitor
jackswrtz

Yes zhou, there is a reason I want to delete call history.  Why do you ask? 

Visitor

To Zhou Official Employee,

I have a better question. Why won't Comcast allow you to delete call history. 

"Any reason you want to delete call history". That is of no concern of yours or Comcasts. I like many others like to keep only the history I choose. Why I would want to keep sales calls, wrong numbers, etc.  (Are you a Comcast employee? I ask because your answer shows very poor customer sevice skills.)

New Visitor
LeroyB

I didn't realize this is still ongoing topic. After replying to "Solved" (which is obviously not true) message I found this message board. My post said:

Re: How to delete the calls on website

05-18-2011 08:29 AM

This question was answered in 2009. Surely this service (keep/delete our own records) is available by now (2011), Right? If not, we strongly request for this service to be available ASAP. We can keep/delete our call logs on our cell phones. Why not our landlines???

To: Zhou, Official Employee:

You posted:

12-01-2010 09:21 AM

I will forward your feature request to the product team. Thanks for the feedback.

Any progress with the product team on this issue?

Email Expert

tierneyhenry wrote:

(Are you a Comcast employee? I ask because your answer shows very poor customer sevice skills.)

If there's a Comcast logo under their name, they're a Comcast employee. If not, they shouldn't be. Those of us with "Expert" designations are not Comcast employees, we're just customer volunteer helpers.

Official Employee
ComcastZhou

The product team is aware of the discussions and has completed the evaluation. To support it, major changes are needed in the backend systems. They will continue to consider it for future releases.

Contributor
RJGnyc

Dear employee Zhou -

OK, it is understood that call history must be maintained by law.

Also understood is that selective deletion by customers would require significant back-end software changes and possibly provisioning issues as a second set of data would have to reside somewhere, be accessible, etc.

However:  Is it not a relatively simple javascript function to provide an onscreen filter so that only selected numbers would be displayed?  This could even be persistent (which is what would make everyone posting here happier) for the simple reason that everything else is apparently stored in cookies and preferences, so why not include a filter setting in the mix?

Thank you.

PS - This "relatively simple" programming task is beyond my skill set, but I could point Comcast to a few folks who could help out.

New Visitor
gtbenavidez

This  NON FEATURE is SOOOOOOO annoying!  I just may drop you guys because of this not being able to delete call history!!!!!! It is total baloney and I am so MAD right now!!!!!  It's like such a simple function makes you guys look like you are still in the DARK AGES!!!!!

Visitor

RJGnyc wrote:

Dear employee Zhou -

OK, it is understood that call history must be maintained by law.

Call history having to be maintained 'by law' is a silly Comcast excuse.   If it were fact, the 'delete' feature would not exist on cell phones.  Ooma phone service is looking pretty good to me!

New Visitor
Cae3tallsales

Do I need everyone in the house seeing who called who and when...If I want to surprise my wife or kids I would have to use my cell phone..so it make me question...what is the person of the call logs and why wouldn't comcast allow for deletion..I would love someone to answer that question why not!

New Visitor
Cae3tallsales

Well understand this as a scope of how to do svc us better...We would just like the option to delete and organize...plus if you wanted to call a travel agent to surprise ur wife or husband..you couldn't from the house phone that your paying for

New Visitor
lpp1273

I don't understand why anyone in my household would want to go perusing our call history out of curiosity, but I have recently had a good reason to use it and was glad it was available. We were getting repeated calls from an out of state number that I was reasonably sure was nothing but a telemarketer. The final straw was the Sunday evening when we got a call (three rings and a hang up) every 20 minutes from 7 PM to after 9 PM.

At that point I went into Comcast voice and blocked the number. I then studied call history and found out that it was the same number that had called two months ago with the same frequency. I also found that they use a string of numbers. They are now all blocked.

I found this topic because I was looking for information on blocking 800 numbers. I will continue to search for an answer to my question on that topic.

New Visitor
Babybug68

How do you delete answered and placed call logs

New Visitor
lahlee

Is there a way to access call logs that are over 90 days?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

Legal Response Center maintains complete call records for two years of activity. However, they will not release call records to anyone under any circumstances unless Comcast is served with legal process (either civil or criminal).

Thank You
-Keisha-
New Visitor
rowyntree

I would also like to be able to delete my call history, simply because the most recent entry on my call log is 12/19/2011 and today's date is the 21st.  I have never been able to see the current calls on my call log.  Is this because my call log is so jam packed with calls dating back to September that it renders it useless for current calls?

Email Expert

I think there's just a general delay in adding entries to the call log, and it has nothing to do with how many entries there.

New Visitor
rowyntree

For me, it's a 3 day delay.  Does anyone else have this problem?

Official Employee
ComcastKeisha

All,
Sorry for the delay. A general rule of thumb with call records is that when you first sign up for our CDV phone service it can take up to 10  days for your call records to start showing up.  Calls from the last 30 days are displayed first.

Your call logs should only take a few minutes to update in some cases up to 30 minutes. If your calls are not automatically showing up after 30 minutes, try hitting the get calls button? Then refreshing your internet browser? This can resolve the delay issues that you are experiencing.

If your still experiencing an issue please let me know so that I may investigate this further.  
In order to be in compliance Your call records in Xfinity connect works the same way as your cellular phone carrier or any other phone provider the call list can not be altered it serves as a history of your call records.

Thank You
-Keisha-
Contributor
chgenrich

[ Edited ]

None of you ever heard (on NCIS, CIS, Law & Order, The Closer, etc) of "Get the LUDS on that number!"? As was mentioned, all carriers MUST maintain complete lists, by law, of every incoming and outgoing call from/to another. Called Local Usage Details.

My problem with Comcast/Xfinity is my privacy in that they, to my understanding' store the CONTENTS of every call in and out of my number. Not to mention, they also store EVERY VOICEMAIL even if I have a local machine in my home that manages voice mail.

I think that is a tremendous breach of my privacy.

If I am wrong, please show me where since I have heard from every Voice Rep I talked to at Xfinity that it is so.

FWIW - ONLY a government agency can demand a copy of your LUDS - they are not available to brothers, sisters, aunts, uncles etc.

Thanks

Contributor

its ok that comcast stores the call history per the law.

That does not mean I should be able to  delete it from me seeing it.

You can still keep your copy. I have no need to keep mine for 90 days

Contributor
chgenrich

kenshell658

No one should care about call history. As was said - they must keep logs by law. Maybe the fact that it is available on the Internet is a problem. Being a Security/Privacy professional, anything available on the 'Net can easily be hacked these days.

The real problem  - is that they keep your CALLS available on the 'net. We all (or most of us) have a telephone that does answering machine. I don't need some carrier to keep my private conversations available in the Internet..

See - that requires a wiretap warrant from a judge. Comcast and other cable telephone providers are writing their own warrants and customers are signing away their privacy rights to be even further eroded than they are already.

It is a breach of privacy and IMO illegal that they keep the CONTENTS of every call I make.

Visitor

iwant to delete mine because there is no reason to keep it, it's taking up alot of space, it's slowing things down, i don't need to worry about anyone "finding" numbers of friends, family, etc., and because i want to ! need more reasons???

Visitor
47daja24

I dont like having call logs from the day b4 let alone a month or more later. Why am I forced 2 save things I dont need or want?

Visitor
47daja24

I so agree with u I think this is so unfair. Company want a record keep in their own files....dont force me 2 clutter up my space. @ least let we the consumer erase once a month

New Visitor
mvberry

"No one should care about call history."

Except that some of us have to, by law.  For instance, a cell phone used by a health care professional outside the office can be lost, and if it contains a record of calls to clients, some measure of the clients' identities (cell phone numbers, caller id info) that are Protected Health Information under HIPAA are on that phone in non-encryped form, and may now be in someone else's hands.  The ability to delete the call log once a call is documented in the chart is a reasonable and valid practice, and is the kind of thing health care providers routinely include in their required security assessments and subsequent staff training for compliance with HIPAA.

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

[ Edited ]

If a health care provider is working outside the office, then their employer should be supplying them with a company owned mobile phone, and the employee shouldn't be using their home phone for work anyway and worrying about HIPAA.

New Visitor
mvberry

Yes, well, "should" is the operative word in your response.  The mental health and human services portion of the health care system typically operates either as non-profits, or if for-profit, so close to the bone that such expenditures may not be possible.  It's easy to sit in judgment from afar, but in theses times, with constantly shrinking medicaid budgets, with ever-tightening managed care controlling the pursestrings, public notions about the profitability of such services are usually off by a mile.  Highly trained and educated professionals often make 1/2 of what they could with equivalent training and experience in other parts of the health care field, and agencies are often, even usually, a bad year away from bankruptcy.

Visitor
47daja24

I am not in the Health Care field I am home retired I dont need to keep call logs. Those who need or want to keep logs....ok fine....I have no need and should have the freedom to delete. If a call comes that I want to keep for whatever reason I will.

Contributor

I would like to be able to delete call history of all cold call sales  people ...no reason to continue listing them.

I only see questions relating to the issue of deleting call history from 2009.  Is there any newer info on this subject.?

Anita

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

There are more recent threads on the subject, there is just no updates, nothing has changed.