New Visitor
ssahler

Re: Delete Call History

I am trying to clean out my Placed Calls, Answered Calls etc., but there is no way to drag them over to the Trash or to delete them!  What is the purpose of "Trash" if you can't use it!?

We are having a problem with calls that come in being forwarded over to the 2nd line that has the Fax machine on it.  I'm thinking it's because the cache with all these other calls is perhaps too full?

Why can't I delete this extra stuff?

Susan Stallings-Sahler, CEO

Sensational Kids Pediatric Rehabilitation  sensational.kids@comcast.net

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

This forum is for residential service, there is no one hanging out here that knows anything about business service.

Forum guidelines also specify not to post any email or other personal information on this public forum.

Please contact your Business rep.

New Visitor
4106artero

Can we call and request the logs to be refreshed and deleted?

Contributor
OlDad55

@Zhou... You stated that the law requires call history to be retained for a 'period of time' and then stated Smartzone retains them for 90 days.... Is 90 days what the current law requires? Also the main reason this is a problem for me is that 'BLOCKED CALLS' are INCLUDED in my call history and that list is FULL! The telemarketer and harrassment call just changed their numbers slightly and have begun to call repeatedly ALL OVER AGAIN, with NO way NOW to block them until the CURRENT 90 days period is expired! Maybe I should start FORWARDING those calls to my STATE and FEDERAL REPRESENTATIVES so THEY might SEE the problems and CHANGE the LAWS.

Contributor

Guys, I understand how you feel. To make it simple, Digital Voice Center and Xfinity Connect has a 90-day limit for call record storage. Call records are accessible in the Digital Voice Center and Xfinity Connect for 90 days. They are not permanently stored—call records more than 90 days old are automatically deleted.

The reason why call history are required by law to be retained for a period of tim because call records are admissible evidences on court of law or legal proceedings should law enforcers our legal attornies will need to request a copy of these records.

Contributor
RJGnyc

The problem is not whether the law requires Comcast to keep records. The problem is that sometimes you want to be able to see only those records of interest to you -- such as repeat hang-up calls, etc. In contrast, I do not need to see every call that came in from my brother in the last 30, 60 or 90 days -- so I should be able to filter that out of the list. Comcast can retain the record for 2 years if the law requires it; but for my purposes it would be nice not to have to scroll through many calls to find relevant ones.
Contributor

We can delete our emails at will, immediately, so why can't we delete the phone call records? I have no need to go back to check calls answered or unanswered or placed, or who the caller was yesterday or 90 days ago. It serves no purpose whatsoever, and if it's Comcast is claiming it's a legal issue, what's the reason? It's akin to the TSA treating every American like a potential terrorist.
Visitor
47daja24

I HATE TO ADMIT THIS BUT THANK YOU COMCAST. IT JUST SO HAPPENED ON THE 2ND OF JANUARY 2013 I WAS ABLE TO GO BACK AND FIND A VERY IMPORTANT PHONE CALL FROM JULY OF 2012. I AM VERY GREATFUL NOW THAT I COULD DO THAT. AGAIN THANK YOU COMCAST. I HAVE TOTALLY CHANGED MY MIND AND NOW I SEE WHY THIS IS A GOOD THING. IT WAS THERE WHEN I NEEDED IT.

New Visitor
Ram2013

We should be able to delete our call history. This is idiocy!

New Visitor
frye50

Yes--- I have a bazillion calls to same number due to redial trying to get through and find it annoying---

Contributor
RJGnyc

Having the call history available is a great thing.  Being unable to filter the list is not so great.

New Visitor
mgl8

Then why hasn't anything been done about that yet?

Contributor
Florida_Estero

I have just contacted the comcast office in MISS?, I live in Florida ( was routed ). I asked the question as to deleting the call history. I was told it was impossible  to do so. Now the previous rep from C had advised this blog of the legalities regarding calls. If this is their thesis, how come one is able to delete and trash e mails.Same rational?  Also, the worlds biggest company does not know how to block intl call and or unnumbered calls, even though you request all unknown calls to be screened...  For a company that prides themselves on public propaganda ,they do  NOT inform the customers of things they should know.Ugh

Contributor
Florida_Estero

see mine dated march 4

Contributor

I thought the message copied below had some interesting info...If it it true, than most of our concerns are actually solved.

Guys, I understand how you feel. To make it simple, Digital Voice Center and Xfinity Connect has a 90-day limit for call record storage. Call records are accessible in the Digital Voice Center and Xfinity Connect for 90 days. They are not permanently stored—call records more than 90 days old are automatically deleted.

The reason why call history are required by law to be retained for a period of tim because call records are admissible evidences on court of law or legal proceedings should law enforcers our legal attornies will need to request a copy of these records.

Contributor

Forwarding unwanted call to authorities is not a bad idea....problem is that  in order for this action to be effective, a massive outpouring of calls from all subscribers, done on a consistent basis would be needed..

majority of folks simply fail to follow thru!.

Contributor
Bassetacre

Not regarding the deletion of call history, but the correction of the name displayed on the Caller ID...it is incorrect when I call my home from my mobile device and my mobile carrier has it correct.  Comcast should update their information to show the correct name. I don't wish to have my calls ignored because an incorrect name is displayed.

Service Expert
Queen-Evie

It is required that call history be retained for 90 days.

It is NOT required that the history be available to customers. When I had Bell South/AT&T call records were not available online.

Comcast employees must be authorized to post in the forum in an official capacity. Employees posting here have their names in red and are designated as employees. Names not in red are customers.

This is done to protect customers and for assurance that they are dealing with a Comcast employee.
Non-Authorized Employees are allowed to post but cannot state they are employees nor can they allude to being employees.

Contributor
lockbox10

Jeez Louise. I come on these forums every once in a while so I won't have to bother Customer Service. For some odd reason I thought I would find the answer in this thread.

First of all I must admit I really haven't even given much thought to "call history" so, because of this thread, I thought I would take a peek. Honestly, not one person in this home had any idea about this area, "call history". (We've had Comcast for almost 20 years and watched them grow and improve with only minor problems on our end.) I don't want to come across as dim-witted, not knowing about "call history" and what not; it's just that it wasn't something that interested me. I really don't care who knows about our telephone calls -- we're actually pretty boring, IMO, as I scrolled through the numbers. 90 days might seem like a lot to you, but you do have a way of categorizing them if it annoys you that much. (Personally, I would rather Comcast spend their time upgrading other things, but that's just me.)

I honestly doubt that folks at Comcast/Xfinity (whatever their name is today) has the time nor manpower to be cruising through your logs and checking out your business. I mean, come on. Surely you realize that every time you fire up your computer, use your cell phone, take a picture with your smartphone and email it you ARE out there, no matter who you use as a provider. Matter of fact, the pics you take with your cell are encrypted with the geo location where the pic was taken (i.e. gps). Believe me, I'm not into conspiracies and all that other than finding them amusing. Facts are just facts and ya' just have to know who to blame.

Who knows, maybe some day you'll be happy that these laws are in place and Comcast is obeying the laws. Surely you haven't let the Casey Anthony case slip your mind? All of those text messages, voice mails, pictures, emails, etc., that law enforcement were able to (legally) retrieve very quickly? I really doubt those carriers were just sitting around slugging through the Anthony's phone/computer info, huh?

I'm just trying to put things into perspective here. In a way I guess I can see your annoyance that you "can't" delete the calls as you do your emails and cell calls (different carrier and system BTW). In the big picture, this isn't huge. And I'm sure it will be available in time since so many folks just can't let it go. Not bashing anyone by any means, just learned a couple interesting things this evening, except the answer to my question, which I'll continue to seek since I'm sure it's somewhere in these forums. I've learned a lot here. LB

New Visitor
micheleappell

I get calls of people I do not know and want to delete from recent calls. It only gives option to call or text back plus add to contact or create new which I do not want to do.
Contributor
murphy42

You people have too much time on your hands....WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO HIDE?  Why do you all care so much about your call history?  Get a hobby

Contributor
Bassetacre

[ Edited ]

My problem with not being able to delete the call history is that when I call my home from my cell phone, the name of the previous holder of my cell number appears on the Caller I.D.  I have checked with my cell phone carrier and they have my name in their records and have suggested that all call history showing the incorrect name should be deleted from all phones in order that the correct name will show.  I don't want to have friends miss my calls because the incorrect name appears because Comcast has not corrected the call logs to show my name with my phone number and I fear that might be happening.  Perhaps this is just something that needs to be taken care of on Comcast's system and I shouldn't have to be concerned, but have had a devil of a time trying to find someone who can correct this error.   Incidentally, this occurs only on persons I call who also have Comcast for their home phone carrier.

Contributor
lockbox10

I get calls of people I do not know and want to delete from recent calls. It only gives option to call or text back plus add to contact or create new which I do not want to do.

M -- Just off the top of my head, another option would be just to ignore those numbers. Sort of like when a call comes through, you see it on the Caller ID, and don't recognize the number. We just don't answer the phone. If it's important, a message will be left (more than likely no message). However, we have a record of the number, how many times they've called, and they're busted for not following the opt-out rules.

Besides, who has the time to look around the list anyway? Whatcha' looking for? Just change your admin settings. Another idea is change your computer settings/password protect the whole management of your whole computer/ipad/etc.

Contributor

I have to ask...why is there a TRASH option if you cannot delete the call log? I can understand that you are following the law in keeping the logs, but why can't you store it some other way and let us delete from our files? Shold be a simple matter.

Contributor

Comcast Zhou is an Comcast employee as his name comes up red and yes, he IS the one who questioned why we want to delete call logs.

Contributor

" ComcastZhou"

Official Employee

Yes, he IS the one who questioned why we want to delete the call logs, since according to the posts, all emjployees names show up in red in the comments
Contributor
lockbox10

"Having the call history available is a great thing.  Being unable to filter the list is not so great."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@RJGnyc -- I think this option SHOULD be acceptable to every subscriber.

Since learning what is being done with our phone records/emails are actually stored AND we really don't how long they're kept, who's reading this information, etc. IMO only, I believe Comcast/Xfinity has the technology to make available to their subscribers the idea you suggested above. Maybe they will someday. Sooner rather than later. I have to admit, they are far ahead of Verizon. Again, JMO.

I need to say, though, that I DO NOT blame Comcast/Xfinity for obeying the law even though I didn't see this company's name in anything I read about this whole Snowden affair.  I also was not surprised and said so on this site a few months back.

(Dang "quote" thing wouldn't behave this morning.) LB

New Visitor
thelawman4

How to delete recent calls from call list?

New Visitor
thelawman4

Yes it is cluttering up my voice recvd. box, there is no possible reason to keep junk calls???

New Visitor
thelawman4

How about you make it quick a lot of us aere waiting on that answer!

Contributor
OlDad55

To COMCAST:   Why has this issue not been satisfied when so many have requested it and complained all the way back to 2009!? You spend MILLIONS on ADS talking about how much BETTER your company is than the 'competition'.

You could allow CUSTOMERS to MANAGE THEIR call-lists OR you could easily separate a 'blocked calls' list FROM the call list and allow at LEAST THAT to be managed by CUSTOMERS while satisfying the LAW by maintaining COMPLETE lists of calls INTERNALLY! THAT would SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS AND SATISFY your CUSTOMERS!

Your last 'official' reply to anyone here that I can find is back in 2011... You KNOW this problem will NOT just 'go away'...

Anyone care to answer or will you just delete this post too?

New Visitor
dean575

Not only can I not delete call histories, I cannot even select missed, placed or answered calls to view details.  Needs work.

Contributor
Florida_Estero

THEY JUST DONT CARE

Contributor
Florida_Estero

FORWARD THE CALLS TO YOUR DOCTOR, PHARMACY AND COMCAST

New Visitor
USS_Retired

Reasonable speculation would be that the undeleteable data is part of the mega-data provided to the federal intelligence agencies, which have unlimited funds for spying on everyone everywhere, including Germany's Chancellor, Angela Merkel, which former East Germans and others find offensive.  Comcast and other service providers will eventually flush the old data from their systems but the government will keep it forever.  Comcast could provide the option to let you not display dated data, but why would they bother?

Contributor
lockbox10

@USS_Retired -- Everything you said is correct, IMO. However, deleting call history doesn't even make my top ten "Comcast/Xfinity" wish list. Perhaps Comcast should just forward this whole thread to the gate-keeper of all electronic communications. Or Facebook. FB seems to have been developed, and continues their ever-expanding site in this direction.  No doubt Comcast has the technology to satisfy at least a couple of people on this thread; but any changes they make will not please everyone. So, to quote USS-Retired, "so why would they bother?"

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@USS_Retired  of course, they find it offensive..But you can bet your booties that they are spying on US, too...They are just mad because we do it better...Do you REALLY think that they are not? Otherwise, why do they have "intelligence" departments?

Contributor
RJGnyc

Sadly, there seems to be no incentive for Comcast to set up filtering call lists so that we can easily find, for example, that misplaced cell number from a colleague, amid the swamp of telemarketing calls. On a side note: I'm surprised that so many posters are upset about the company retaining call data -- and even more surprised at the level of paranoia about the NSA expressed on this thread. Overall, retaining records offers more potential benefits (in terms of crime detection) than dangers (OMG the NSA might find out about your orders from Victoria's Secret!).
New Visitor
sacbaker

This is one easy way comcast and the other phone/cable companies help out the NSA in collecting information from us. This is unacceptable, not to be able to deleat calls.

New Visitor
stauffer2638

I did not know that. I do not think that Comcast should allow you to have the expert label of you do not work for them but it is misleading.  I thought you were an employee.

Contributor

FlipFlop,

It was the comcast guy Zhou that asked you why you wanted to delete that info..you were right. :smileyhappy:

New Visitor
rickhipps

How can I stop receiving new message indicator for voice/texting when I have no new voice/texting messages?  Annoyng!

New Visitor
WoodsElf21

Hi... New user.  Has anyone else noticed that the call logs are very inaccurate?  Mine don't show actual calls made,  claim calls answered that never were and 75% of the calls placed were not placed by us.  We even have calls "made" for 7 days prior to installation.

Editing might be useful when the records are so incorrect.

Visitor

2014 and still no way to delete online. I could see saving 6 months of calls, but years, never

Contributor
RJGnyc

@WoodsElf21 My call logs are not inaccurate. I'm not sure what you're seeing.
New Visitor
SonomaKay

I too would like to delete all my phone history both placed and received.  I also have an AOL account and clear it all the time.  I am a big supporter of Xfinity, Comcast and have all my systems including home security with the company, but would REALLY like to be able to delete what I choose to delete.

Visitor

Sounds like Big Brother to me.

New Visitor

I agree == there has to be a way in which "Placed Calls" can be deleted.  I do not need to know who I called two or three months ago

Contributor

another problem that has comeuup with the call logs...now the DATES are incorrect. Today is Saturday August 30, 2014, but according to the call log calendar ir is Friday, August 30, 2014. Something really needs to be done about this. Also, every time I get a missed call, it records it several times as though there were multiple calls, when in reality it was only ONE. For example, a call came in on 8/18/2014, it was recorded as NINE separte calls.