Regular Contributor
RHPT

Digital Voice and ADT Security System

Can an ADT Security System work with Comcast DV? The Comcast CSR with whom I spoke tells me that it is; however, ADT swears up-and-down that their system will not work with any VOIP-type phone system. Does anyone here have any experience with ADT/Comcast DV?

Thank you.

Most Valued Poster
Drewby

Re: Digital Voice and ADT Security System

RHPT wrote:
Can an ADT Security System work with Comcast DV? The Comcast CSR with whom I spoke tells me that it is; however, ADT swears up-and-down that their system will not work with any VOIP-type phone system. Does anyone here have any experience with ADT/Comcast DV?

Thank you.

My Guess, that ADT would know....   I would take their word on it and not take any chances! Again, another good reason to keep land Line!:smileysilly:  LOL!! :smileymischief:
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

Quote...
What is ADT’s policy on VoIP/Digital Phone Service technologies?
ADT’s policy on VoIP is based on providing the best life/safety and security to our customers.
Organizations that establish standards applicable to the security industry currently recognize traditional
phone lines and cellular technology as the only acceptable means for transmitting alarm signals.
Because issues of life/safety may be involved, ADT is taking a conservative approach that is in the
best interest of protecting our customers. ADT requires VoIP users to keep their traditional phone line
or to install a cellular transmission system to help ensure that their security system can communicate
with ADT’s customer monitoring centers. Technology is outpacing regulation in the case of VoIP and
both ADT and the standard-setting organizations for the security industry are evaluating these
technologies.

What options does ADT require for VoIP/Digital Phone Service subscribers that have home security systems?
ADT customers who switch their phone service to a VoIP technology have two options: keep their
traditional phone line or install Safewatch® Cellguard®.

http://www.adt.com/resi/system_packages/VOIP/
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Most Valued Poster
Most Valued Poster
Me

Follow up....

Your security system provider is the voice to listen to...NOT someone from a cable company.

This is a life safety issue...it's as simple as that...
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Heroes aren't born...they volunteer...
Regular Contributor
RHPT

I cancelled the installation. It's unfortunate. I was looking forward to digital voice service.

Thanks for all the advice.
Contributor
JuanG

Hello RHPT,

Here is some information on Home Alarm systems and Comcast Digital Voice. 

1. My home alarm security company has told me that my home alarm system will not work with Voice over Internet Protocol or Digital Voice service. Is this true?

It is not true.  Comcast Digital Voice® DOES support most modern home alarm systems today.  Some companies offering Voice over Internet Protocol today use the public Internet and self-installation services, which could result in issues with your home alarm system.  Because Comcast uses its own managed network, not the public Internet, we can ensure the quality of service required to support most modern home security systems.  In addition, we have professional installers who are trained to install our service so that it does not impact your home alarm system.*

*Note for Jacksonville customers only: Comcast Digital Voice is compatible with most modern home alarm systems, including many alarm systems supplied by ADT.  Despite this, we understand that ADT requires customers who wish to subscribe to Comcast Digital Voice (or various other IP-enabled voice services) to purchase a wireless back-up service from ADT.  ADT charges a one-time fee plus a monthly recurring fee for this wireless back-up service.  Please be aware of this ADT practice prior to installing Comcast Digital Voice.  Please note that ADT is the only alarm company we are aware of requiring a wireless back-up0 service.

2. If I order Comcast Digital Voice service, will my home alarm company require me to buy any additional equipment or services for continued remote monitoring of my home alarm system?

Some (but not all) home alarm companies may require their customers to purchase additional equipment or connectivity services if the customer uses voice over Internet protocol for their telephone calls.  Your home alarm company may charge extra for any additional equipment and services that is required.  Please contact your home alarm company for further details. 

3. My alarm company has said that the Internet is more prone to outages and poor quality, which can affect my alarm. Will this be true if I select Comcast?

No.  Comcast Digital Voice® will provide you with the same degree of reliability and quality as you expect from any voice service provider.  Comcast Digital Voice uses its own managed network to route your calls, not the public Internet.

4. Can Comcast set up a direct feed to my home alarm system?

At your request, Comcast will install a hard wired, dedicated feed between your Comcast eMTA (Comcast-supplied enhanced Multimedia Terminal Adapter) and your monitored alarm panel.  The Comcast eMTA provides up to 8 hours of battery back-up for Comcast Digital Voice® service in case of a power outage at your home.

Information from: Comcast.com http://www.comcast.com/Customers/FAQ/FaqCategory.ashx?CatId=305