Regular Contributor

How Do I Disable Voicemail?

Hi, How do I totally disable voicemail?

When I first got comcast telephone service, they told me I would have to enable voicemail in order to use it. I never enabled it, but recently on a whim I logged into the voicemail area at the comcast.net site and to my surprise I saw it had taken several messages. So, I missed ever hearing them until it was too late because for some reason reason voicemail answered the call instead of my answering machine.

How do I totally disable voicemail?

Thanks a bunch.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: How Do I Disable Voicemail?

Naja_711 wrote:
Hi, How do I totally disable voicemail?

When I first got comcast telephone service, they told me I would have to enable voicemail in order to use it. I never enabled it, but recently on a whim I logged into the voicemail area at the comcast.net site and to my surprise I saw it had taken several messages. So, I missed ever hearing them until it was too late because for some reason reason voicemail answered the call instead of my answering machine.

How do I totally disable voicemail?

Thanks a bunch.

F.W.I.W You might want to Keep Voice Mail as a back up for your Answering Machine.  If Your AM fails to pick up the Caller goes to VM and the call is not lost.  Answering machines fail during a power outage or when you are talking on the phone.  At those times the VM would pickup

Just need to make sure that the VM picks up a 8 rings and the AM picks up at 4 rings.  That way almost all calls will go to the AM

Just some food for thought.

As for actually turning off the VM that would probably have to be a moderator here or a call to Comcast at 1800Comcast and follow the prompts to Digital Voice
Regular Contributor

Hello Naja_711:

Thank you for posting your question on the CDV Forum about your Voice Mail feature. I am sorry you were misinformed about how our Voice Mail works. You do not have to activate the Voice Mail in order for it to work. However, you should create a greeting message and secure pass word. I have checked your account and this feature is on your account. You can not deactivate Voice Mail yourself; you will need to contact us to have this feature removed. Another option would be to change the ring count on your answer machine to 4 or less as our Voice Mail picks up after 5 rings.

Feel free to email me directly if you do not get a resolution through normal means.

Thanks

modmlr

Regular Contributor

Thank you very much for your replies. I have set the comcast voicemail to the highest amount of rings setting (9), and left my answering machine at 4 rings like it was before, and that seems to be doing fine. I have also set it to email me in the case the voicemail does take a message.
Connection Expert
JamesR

Naja_711 wrote:
Thank you very much for your replies. I have set the comcast voicemail to the highest amount of rings setting (9), and left my answering machine at 4 rings like it was before, and that seems to be doing fine. I have also set it to email me in the case the voicemail does take a message.

Glad you got it worked out. 
Frequent Visitor

You can disable voicemail feature.... just call 1-800 COMCAST / chat .. they can disable that feature in their end... it will just take 24 hours for that to take effect.
Visitor

I also started getting messages about setting up xfinity voice message.  In order to set the rings to the highest setting, do I need to set up the voice mail first with a password, etc..