Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to accomplish Call forwarding using *72 ?

When I try to activate call forwarding ( variable ) by depressing *72 and then immediately dialing the number I want the calls forwarded to it will not work.

After dialing *72, no matter how fast I am at getting to the phone number in, I hear a piece of a dial tone before I can fully enter the phone number. 

The only way I am sure it is set is by going the SMARTZONE and activating by Call Manager. 

Anyone else have this issue or any suggestions on how to do this properly ? 

Connection Expert
JamesR

Re: How to accomplish Call forwarding using *72 ?

Do you get the Confirmation Message when you dial it as all one number*XXXYYYZZZZ ?

Regular Contributor

No confirmation "message" or notifier. As I say, after I push the *72 keys on my phone I will hear a "piece" of a dial tone just before entering XXXYYYZZZ --then it dials the XXXYYYZZZZ number --- i.e. no confirmation

Instructions say *72 then immediatley dial the destination number you want your calls to go to... 

but I am not quick enough to avoid the dial tone --- and I am a pretty fast typist !

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

The dial tone after the *72 is normal, you don't have to try and "beat" the dial tone.  A 2nd dial tone is normal, even on "Ma Bell" systems.

After you dial the whole sequence, either the receiving party needs to answer the phone, or you hang up and repeat the process a 2nd time.  Again, this is normal procedure.

Regular Contributor

This did the trick ! I was unaware you had to answer the phone I was was trying to forward to.

And if I am unable to answer the phone I am forwarding to, you say repeating the *72 process will accomplish the same thing ? 

If this is "normal" procedure, it would be nice if Comcast would document it properly... 

Thanbks again for your help --- this one has been bugging me and it is such a great feature ...

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Yes, if the phone your forwarding to doesn't answer, then you need to hangup, and repeat the *72 (11digit number) sequence a 2nd time.  Then it will set up the forwarding.

To cancel fordwarding, just enter *73.

Reminder, if you phone is forwarded, your home phone will splash ring once, but you will be unable to answer it.

Glad it's working for you, I won't comment on the Comcast instructions.............

Regular Contributor

Thanks fopr all your help
New Visitor

Thanks........I thought that something was wrong w/my found.