Contributor
RedFormula2K

New modem and now phone does not work

Recently I purchased a new Arris TM602G/115 Cable modem for my comcast internet and voice. I called Comcast yesterday, switched the new modem out and the internet is working. However, the phone line is not. When I pick up the receiver I just hear static and an echo. No dial tone. Prior to switching the modem out the phone was working fine. When I switched the modem out I put the new one next to the old one and plugged everything in the same way. I called Comcast a few different times and keep getting transferred around. A tech was suppose to call me within 30 minutes and that was 3 hours ago. I did notice that my old modem model number is TM602G/CT compared to the new TM602G/115. Do you think that has anything to do with it?

Silver Problem Solver
rog286713

Re: New modem and now phone does not work

so you were renting a comcast modem and now you bought your own?   did you call comcat and give them the information on the new modem?  you can't just go buy your own modem and just plug it in and expect it to work, it needs to be set up on your account on comcasts end.

Connection Expert
EG

[ Edited ]

FWIW, the *phone* portion of that device needs to also be provisioned by them for service. Where did you purchase it ? Was it new or used ? Comcast is a little touchy about provisioning customer owned eMTA's. Sometimes they are blacklisted in their database as having been unreturned / stolen..

Contributor
RedFormula2K

Originally I was renting a comcast modem. I decided I no longer wanted to pay the rental fee anymore. I purchased one for $34 on sale and figured it would be worth it in the long run. Yes I called comcast. They wanted my new MAC address which I gave them. The internet started working a short time later. The phone line has not worked since. I called comcast and they said they were going to resend the signal to me. They did, but the phone still isnt working. Still waiting for the tech to call. Its been about a day now.

The modem is used/refurbished. If for some reason it was stolen/unreturned you would think the internet would not be working to? Internet is working great.

Connection Expert
EG

RedFormula2K wrote:

If for some reason it was stolen/unreturned you would think the internet would not be working to?

That does sound logical ! Best of luck with it !

Visitor

I have the same exact issue.  I've spent a rediculous amount of time on the phone with their call center and I'm also awaiting a call back from a US based technician.  Did you get your issue resolved?

Contributor
RedFormula2K

Still waiting for my phone call. This problem has not been resolved. I have been super busy lately. When I get a moment I'm going to call Comcast. My options are 1. Cancel my phone service 2. Use my original modem that I'm renting from Comcast but see if they will waive the $7 a month rental fee. If they do that I'll return the modem I purchased or keep it as a spare just in case.

Visitor

Call them again.  My call back also never came.  Hopefully you'll get Michelle in the CR call center.  She was the only competent customer service agent I've spoken with over the last two days.  I explained what was happening, she was able to see the modem on her end, and then she said she would call me back in 15-30 minutes after taking care of everything.  She did exactly as she said and called me back - on my home phone.  She said that the voice portion wasn't properly provisioned and all she did was go through the normal provisioning process.  It's amazing that the previous reps I spoke with all said it was a line issue - which was impossible since the rental modem was operating just fine.  

By the way, I called the activation line (855-652-3446), indicated I wanted to activate new comcast voice equipment, and after a brief pause, I was connected with a live person.  

Good luck!