New Visitor
f12mfc3p
Accepted Solution

Phone jacks don't work

we just got comcast phone and the tech came out on sat and now the only where a phone works is if you plug it into the modem, none of the wall jacks work, I was told that comcast phone service is just like regular phone service so the wall jacks should work right ?? 

thanks for any help 

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Phone jacks don't work

There should be a phone cord from the eMTA telephony modem L1/L2 jack to a phone jack in the room,  If you can plug in a phone directy to the eMTA, the check where the cord is to the wall outlet, as that needs to be plugged in to the eMTA.

The cord from the eMTA to the phone jack in the room is what backfeeds the phone voltage to the rest of the phone outlets in the home.

Visitor

I have a similar issue with the phones.  I've got a Touchstone Telephony Modem, model TM402P.  My house wired phones just stopped working.  The house phone wire is plugged into TEL 2.  If I plug in a corded phone into TEL 2, I get no dialtone.  If I plug in a corded phone into TEL 1/2, I do get dialtone on that phone.  If I plug the house wire into TEL 1/2, I get no dialtone on my house phone.  Sounds like the modem if the problem, maybe?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

It would not be the eMTA, it could be the phone cord from the eTMA to the wall, or more likely something is wrong with your inside wiring in the home, loose connections, corrorsion at a jack or the NID, or some other broken or loose wire, short, or failing jack.

If you don't know about phone wiring, they you should either call Comcast tech out to go over everything, find and fix it, or another 3rd party low voltage contractor, or someone you know that's handy with this type of wiring.

Start first by replacing the cord from the eMTA's L1/L2 jack to the wall jack that's backfeeding the voltage to the inside wiring.

You would always use the L1/L2 jack, the L2 jack is for subscribers with a 2nd phone number from Comcast.

Visitor

Thanks Jay.   I was able to narrow the problem down to the original house wiring.  I disconnected the line from the house wiring to the modem and plugged in my portable phone system into L1. I basically had to give up the original kitchen wall phone and will just use the portables.  Thanks again, Duane