New Visitor
dickgoode

Porting Over Of My Old Phone Number

Like when a person changes Cellular Phone companies, isn't it possible to port over to Comcast Xinfinity a old phone number from an existing A T & T landline phone account before it is closed ???

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

Re: Porting Over Of My Old Phone Number

[ Edited ]

Yes, you can certainly port your number from an existing AT&T landline to Comcast CDV as long as both are in the same rate center.

Normally ordering Comcast CDV would initiate the port request, which AT&T would release.  It can take a few business days to weeks depending on any issues pop up like name mismatches.  You would also be routed to a 3rd party clearing center to confirm and prove you did place the order and you can identify ownership of the old number.

Do not initiate any disconnection of the old phone number and old account until the port is complete.  The old line will be disconnected a few days to a week after the port is complete.

Please contact Comcast sales for more details.

New Visitor
haslouer

Is it possible to port a number that you haven't owned for several years, but is now disconnected?

Cable Expert
JayInAlg

No, if you going with the same telco that owns the number, you possibly could ask for that specific number which they might charge you for.

If the local telco owns the number and your want a alternate phone co, then it would not be possible.

If Comcast owned the number and you wanted it with the local telco, the same thing, it would not be possible.

New Visitor
ssllii

Related question: if I establish CDV service with a new number, but later on decide to port over an existing number I have with another company, can that be done? How much does Comcast charge for that?

TIA.

Contributor

http://www.fcc.gov/guides/portability-keeping-your-phone-number-when-changing-service-providers

The Porting Period

The FCC has changed its number porting rules to shorten the porting period for “simple” ports from the current four days to one business day. The new deadline applies to all simple ports, including “intermodal” ports such as wireline to wireless, wireless to wireline, wireline or wireless to VoIP or any other combination. 

Filing a Complaint with the FCC

If you have a problem porting your phone number from one service provider to another, first try to resolve it with the responsible provider. If you cannot resolve the problem directly, you can file a complaint with the FCC. There is no charge for filing a complaint. You can file your complaint using an FCC online complaint form. You can also file your complaint with the FCC’s Consumer Center by calling             1-888-CALL-FCC    You can also read the FCC Laws and file a complaint at the above link.  

New Visitor
HakanK

Can I keep two numbers the one I got from Comcast, and the one I will port to Comcast from another VOIP company? 

Hakan

Daily Miami News